Author Topic: Can't get Driver from Yamaha  (Read 191 times)

Offline Afton72

Can't get Driver from Yamaha
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:40:37 PM »
  Hi Folks,
                Trying to set up a new desktop with W10,  ??? :'( ;D
    Problem is PC sees the portatone,  (PSR900), & for some reason Yam Downloads won't recognise this model, surely the 900 isn't out of date YET!!!.
Tried the W7 driver, NO.     Somehow I found & D/ld driver named um3141x64 , but can't get DEvice Manager to update driver from the folder.
    Wonder if I missed the unzip.  Just tried again , Says Windows could not find driver software for your device . (Portatone)

IS that the right driver???

We'll go from there for now,        Any help,     PLEASEEE  ;D ;D       

Alan

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Can't get Driver from Yamaha
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 11:49:35 PM »
First of all, use the Windows Control Panel to uninstall any versions of the Yamaha driver that you've already installed, so you can start with a clean slate.

The correct driver is determined by the operating system, so use version 3.1.4-- but be sure to download either the 32-bit or 64-bit version, depending of whether your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit. (If you aren't sure, check the System Information in Windows.)

However, you should not try to install the driver until after you have connected your keyboard to your computer and turned on the keyboard-- then you can install the driver and it should hopefully see and recognize the keyboard.

Note that this assumes you're using a USB 2.0 cable to connect from the keyboard's USB TO HOST port to a USB 2.0 port on the computer.

If you're actually using a MIDI-to-USB interface to go from the keyboard's MIDI OUT port to a USB port on the computer, then you should be using the correct driver for the interface, not the driver from Yamaha. Some interfaces don't have a driver, because supposedly they don't need one.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Afton72

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 03:49:44 AM »
  Thank You Michael, for your quick response,
                could I make a couple of points, please.

This is more or less a breakdown, as I've recorded on the PC for some years,  and have used the USB/Host cable to a 1500 before this 900.
          A fair while ago the StereoMix disappeared from the Record mixer, but somehow I have been able to keep the system recording.
  all of a sudden it all stops recording a couple of weeks ago, and I can't get it recording again.   The "play" part is still working.

If I uninstall the present driver & can't get the new one in,  will that cripple the "Play"    I was able today to play a midi by Van Bascoe out to the 900 as normal.
    Should I be able to install that 3.1.4 driver,  already  in a "Software" folder on the PC, & K/B turned on.

I see there is a "Stereo Mix" on the new Lenovo/W10 which I'm trying to learn how to use ??? ;)   
               I NEED to get this new one going as the main PC, as soon as possible.

Hope this all makes sense,
                                                Cheers,    Alan
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:54:33 AM by Afton72 »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
[EDIT: I wrote the first few paragraphs before looking up your keyboards' MIDI descriptions, so I don't think the first part of my reply applies to your case, but I'm leaving it as I wrote it because it contains information that might be helpful in other cases.]

If you previously used another Yamaha keyboard with the computer and already had the driver installed for that keyboard, that could be related to your problem.

Each of Yamaha's keyboards has a description associated with it, which is what you see when you go to select it in a DAW-- e.g., my PSR-E433 and E443 are listed as "Digital Keyboard" with a number (e.g., 1 or 2). The basic ID (e.g., "Digital Keyboard") is usually listed at the top of the keyboard's MIDI Implementation Chart. On page 70 of the PSR-1500's Data List, it says "Portable Keyboard" (in brackets) at the top of the MIDI Implementation Chart, so that was presumably how your PSR-1500 was listed in a DAW, as "Portable Keyboard-1" or something similar. And on page 74 of the PSR-S900's Data List it describes the PSR-S900 is a "Portable Keyboard," just like the PSR-1500. That's a good thing!

In my experience, if you've installed the driver and it recognized a keyboard with a particular description, you'll be able to connect another keyboard that uses the same description and the driver will recognize it-- e.g., I installed the driver for my PSR-E433, and when I later bought a PSR-E443 I was able to connect it and have it be automatically recognized by the driver.

However, if you try to connect a keyboard that has a different description, the driver won't recognize it-- e.g., I decided to buy a used YPT-400, and it uses the description of "Yamaha PortaTone," so when I connected it to my computer the driver wouldn't recognize it. It took me a year or so before I accidentally figured out what the problem was (the difference in the keyboard's MIDI description) and how to correct it (uninstall the driver, then reinstall it while both types of keyboard were connected to the computer so the driver could recognize both the "Digital Keyboard" models and the "Yamaha PortaTone" model).

So in your case, I think you should have been able to just connect the PSR-S900 and have it be recognized automatically, at least if it's the same computer you were using the PSR-1500 with and you already had the correct driver working on it.

If you had tried to update or reinstall the driver, or a different version of the driver, thinking that that's what you needed to do, it may or may not have messed things up. If things seem to be working okay now-- e.g., you can play MIDI from the computer to the PSR-S900-- then you might not need to do anything at all [EDIT: as far as uninstalling/reinstalling the driver]. But if you want to be sure, it shouldn't hurt anything to uninstall the driver through the Windows Control Panel (under Programs), connect the PSR-S900 and turn it on (your computer should see it as an unknown USB device), and then reinstall the driver.

From everything you said in your last response, I'm not sure whether the problem you're experiencing is with the driver or something else. I'm not certain what you mean by "the StereoMix" and "the Record mixer." Is that in Windows itself, or in your DAW-- and which DAW are you using? There was a major update to Windows 10 that was released a few weeks ago, and it did change some things around-- it actually made a lot of my apps disappear from my Start Menu, so I uninstalled the update, but eventually I was able to reinstall it successfully and everything's good again. If "StereoMix" and "Record mixer" are in Windows itself, then the problem may simply be in whatever changes were made to Windows, and have nothing to do with the driver at all.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:19:14 AM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443