Author Topic: does 3000 deal with usb hub?  (Read 372 times)

Offline ekurburski

does 3000 deal with usb hub?
« on: November 10, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
It appears there is only one usb outlet on the 3000.  How effective is the 3000 with handling a usb hub?
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2017 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: does 3000 deal with usb hub?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
I think Yamaha usually says in the Owner's Manual whether or not a particular model of keyboard can be used with a USB hub. As far as I know, only some of their higher-end models support the use of a USB hub.

By the way, I assume you mean the USB TO DEVICE connection used for plugging in a flash drive.

As for the USB TO HOST connection used for connecting the keyboard to a computer, I don't think it will work with a USB hub unless the keyboard is USB-MIDI class-compliant, such that it doesn't require a USB-MIDI driver. I believe only models released within the last few years are class-compliant.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »
duh.....
I know where the usb to device is cause its got a flash drive in it.  Where is the usb to host outlet?
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2017 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
Right next to the 'TO DEVICE' socket on the back of the keyboard.  It is a type B (printer type) socket.

As a clue it is marked 'TO HOST' unless the legend has worn off!   ::) ;)

Regarding the use of a hub with the 'To Device' socket, page 195 of the manual says:

"Up to two USB storage devices, such as a floppy disk drive, hard disk drive, CD-ROM drive, flash memory reader/writer, etc., can be connected to the [USB TO DEVICE] terminal. (If necessary, use a USB hub.)"

Regards

Ian

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »
  :-[ duh,,,,, I looked at back again!  They are side by side.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »
Sorry I didn't get to this until now, but it appears your question has been answered.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Roy_T

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »
Earl

Yes!  You can use a hub with the PSR-3000's "To device" port.  Most USB hubs today have 4 ports, but the PSR-3000's Operating System only supports two devices at a time in the hub.  Also, the PSR-3000's "To Device" port only supports devices with low to medium power requirements, such as USB Flash Drives, USB diskette drives, and low powered USB hard drives.  Higher power hard drives require a powered hub.  Unpowered hubs support only USB Flash Drives.  For hub operation, diskette drives and even low powered hard drives require powered hubs.

Michael

The PSR-3000 IS Class Compliant.  I currently have my iPad-3 connected to my PSR-3000.  I use it primarily for accessing the arpeggios in the Yamaha Synth Drum & Arp Pad app as well as some vintage synth sounds with real time control - just some enhnacements that the PSR-3000 can not do on its own.  I suspect that the PSR-3000 is the first Class Compliant PSR, and since the manual, that came with the unit in 2004, mentions installing a driver, I assume that Class Compliance came with one of the firmware upgrades, which was at the current Version 1.8 by late 2006 or early 2007.  Class Compliance started with Windows XP Service Pack 2, which was released on August 25, 2004, so basically anything manufactured, published, or distributed after that date could have included Class Compliance.

Roy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:18:36 PM by Roy_T »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:43:53 PM »
The PSR-3000 IS Class Compliant.  I currently have my iPad-3 connected to my PSR-3000.

Actually, I don't think it is. I have a YPT-400 that works great with my iPad 2, and it isn't class-compliant. There are no Yamaha USB-MIDI drivers available for iOS, period-- and for all I know (which fits into a thimble, at least on this topic) there are no USB-MIDI drivers available from any other keyboard manufacturers for iOS. I'm not sure, but I suppose that must be the "CoreMIDI" functionality that's built into iOS, as well as Mac OS X. That isn't the same as "class-compliant," which is a trait of the keyboard rather than of the computer's OS. So if you were to connect your PSR-3000 to a Windows computer, I think you'd find it won't work without the USB-MIDI driver that Yamaha makes for Windows. And if you were to connect it to a Linux computer, I suspect you'd find that it won't work at all, as Yamaha doesn't make USB-MIDI drivers for Linux.
Michael Rideout

Offline Roy_T

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
Michael

Since it is a cold, rainy, winter weekend here, I decided to spend some time clearing up my confusion over this, so I drug out a little Acer Win-7 laptop, that I bought for exclusive use with a Roland Jupiter-50 (and has been in its case, since I sold the JP-50) and an old Compaq Win-XP (SP2) laptop that I keep around for running old 16 bit programs that won't run on the 64-bit systems.  Neither of these laptops have ever had the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver installed on them.  When I connected the PSR-3000 to either one of them, it was not recognized until I installed the Yamaha driver. So your suspicion about the PSR-3000 not really being Class Compliant is correct, and brings me to the point of my confusion.  At the time I got my PSR-3000, I was not even aware of the terms Class Compliant and Core MIDI Compliant and the question of a driver never came up, as I had already installed the Yamaha driver on my Vista desktop, several months earlier, so that the Motif could connect with Cubase-AI.  I just connected the PSR-3000, and it worked - no problems - no questions asked.  I did not become aware of those two terms until I got my iPad, which I think was around 8 or 9 years ago, but even then, I did not try connecting the PSR-3000 to it until one night, a year or so ago.  I had the iPad connected to the PSR-E433, which we know is iPad compatible, and on a lark, connected it to the PSR-3000 and it worked, so in my mind the PSR-3000 was Class/Core-MIDI compliant, but since I became aware of those terms, to me, Class Compliant and Core-MIDI Compliant were just two different names by Microsoft and Apple to describe the same process/funtion.  If a device was one, it was both, and if it was not one, it was neither - the two functions were technically joined at the hip.  Obviously, this is not true.  So, we know your YPT and Earl's and my, and everyone else's PSR-3000's are Core MIDI Compliant, but not Class Compliant, but it goes beyond this.  We know that the Motif XS, S70XS, and S90XS are not Class Compliant, as they require the Yamaha Driver to connect to a Windows computer, yet the current Yamaha websites list them all as being iPad (iOS, actually) compatible.  At first glance, it would appear that Yamaha has had an eye toward iOS compatibility for some time, but upon relection, I think it has more to do with MAC-OS compatibility, and the iOS part just comes along for the ride as a finge benefit of Apple's design uniformity policy.  So, bottom line - if Earl wants to connect his iPad to his PSR-3000, it will work - but I think he has had second thoughts about that.  Sorry for the confusion.

Roy
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:47:01 PM by Roy_T »

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
It appears there is only one usb outlet on the 3000.  How effective is the 3000 with handling a usb hub?

It's all about the device you are connecting to the PSR. A simple USB-hub should work easily.

I once connected an all-in-one card reader+usb hub in my PSR 3K and there appeared many new partitions (user locations) - I could even acces the CF that my brother was using for a Roland keyboard.
Of course, that was possible due to the way the card reader "presents" different media to the device it is connected to.
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR S770  8)

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 01:01:46 AM »
Roy, the whole compatibility and compliancy issue is definitely confusing. For instance, if you use a keyboard's MIDI ports (if it has them) to connect to a computer via a MIDI-to-USB interface, then either you don't need a driver at all (because the interface doesn't require one), or else you need the driver that was made for the interface by its manufacturer (and not the driver made for the keyboard by its manufacturer). As for the fact that you don't need drivers for Mac OS X or iOS, it seems to be because those operating systems have a suitable "one driver magically fits all USB-MIDI devices" driver built into them, and has nothing to do with the MIDI equipment you're connecting to the Mac or iPad. Windows apparently doesn't have any such "one driver magically fits all USB-MIDI devices" driver, hence the various MIDI keyboard manufacturers either need to make their own drivers or make their keyboards "class-compliant." And Linux is apparently even worse than Windows-- at least in my uninformed opinion-- because it seems to me that whenever I've dabbled with Linux and decided to download a program for it, in many cases there wasn't even a pre-compiled binary executable for the program, just a bunch of source code files that I was expected to use to compile an executable myself that ran on my particular installation of Linux (like that was going to happen)!
Michael Rideout