Author Topic: 10 Reasons to own DGX-670  (Read 1353 times)

10 Reasons to own DGX-670
« on: February 26, 2024, 10:19:29 PM »
For anyone who still might be sitting on the fence as to whether they should purchase this fantastic keyboard please have a look at this to see and hear why this professionnel keyboardist purchased the DGX670.

https://youtu.be/7V5C7PFQH10?si=dryBi-9O62bAQb_Z

Edit: Topic title edited by overover
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 10:23:16 PM by overover »

Offline mikf

Re: 10 Reasons to own DGX-670
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 11:51:27 PM »
I agree. Ever since I first encountered it I have been saying this keyboard is outstanding quality and amazing value. It may not be the piece of furniture or have the excellent sound system built in like a CVP - but it hits most of the main high points of a CVP. It’s only downside I see is that it’s not very portable compared to a Genos or PSR, so a bit awkward for a gigging pro.
But feature wise it not only has most of what arranger players need, but has the excellent feel and full size keyboard piano players want. If I was gigging this is the keyboard I would use, and would try to figure out an easy way to move it. BTW, my first encounter was with a guy using it to gig, so it’s not impossible.
For the home player it’s almost a no brainer. Yes, there are a few things missing like multi pads - but how much do they matter to most people??
I think this may be the direction we see from Yamaha rather than pushing TOTL arrangers. They almost say that much in their annual report.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:59:56 PM by mikf »

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 08:52:46 AM »
Fully agree...I have had my DGX670 for the past 18 months after owning top end arrangers, but I get as much pleasure playing this DGX670 with its excellent Key-Bed feel and quality voice samples...Not to mention its low price value for money.

The Menu button pushing took some getting used to and being a home player the weight is no problem.
DGX670

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 09:04:48 AM »
DGX-670 is for sure interesting keyboard -but only for piano oriented musicians. Here are three reasons why, in my opinion, it can not be a replacement for arranger keyboard:

1. Hammer-keys are suitable for piano playing only and that's actually a downside for an arranger player: voices other than piano, can be easier played/articulated with normal organ/synth type keys.

2. 88 keys is a luxury that typical arranger musician never exploits and so it only unnecessary adds to weight and size.

3. Arranger capabilities of DGX-670 are somewhere at PSR-SX600 level, which is quite limiting in creativity -is only good enough to learn what's all about.

In that sense DGX-670 is not better than SX600 -it's just different type of instrument. And I'm writing that before someone starts thinking about replacing his arranger with portable piano.
On the other hand, many arranger owners don't really use arranger features that much and so for them, DGX-670 might be a better option.

Just my humble opinion,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 11:37:25 AM »
Bogdan. I completely disagree. We all have different requirements.
I'm an arranger player and have previously owned top end arrangers.
DGX can play most of Yamaha styles available. Build quality is excellent.

The Tyros & Genos & Korg Pa5x models all have good Key-Beds but after playing the DGX Key-Bed I would not go back to PSR or SX models Key-Beds.

Give yourself a few weeks with a DGX and possibly you may find the same.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 11:51:52 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: flailman

Offline Lefty

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 02:06:37 PM »
Each of us has their own opinion; Here's mine.  I don't want or need 88 keys.  73 is great, but 61 is limiting.  I don't like the keybed of my SX900 at all.  I'm not a piano player, but much prefer the feel and dynamic range of hammer action keybeds.

So for me, the DGX670 would have saved a LOT of money, and would have been a much better fit for my needs.  If I could click Undo........  ;)

Best Regards,
   Craig
Yamaha PSR-SX900, Studiologic Numa X 73, Lots of guitars and harmonicas

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 02:14:08 PM »
...I don't like the keybed of my SX900 at all.
Keybed such as on SX900/700 shouldn't exist on decent arranger... is an embarrassment. Genos keybed is much better -and that's what I have in mind when I say normal keybed.

Bogdan

Offline Lefty

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 03:28:19 PM »
Keybed such as on SX900/700 shouldn't exist on decent arranger... is an embarrassment. Genos keybed is much better -and that's what I have in mind when I say normal keybed.

Hey Bogdan.  I've never played a Genos, so I have no opinion there.  I know the hammer action of my Studiologic keyboard is a completely different action from the synth action of the SX series, but to me it's like a night and day difference.  I also found I like having the extra space of 73 keys.

I played a DGX670 in a Guitar Center store, and really liked it.  It definitely would have worked better for me than the SX900.  It's too bad they didn't have the SX900 on display as well, as I'd probably have made a different decision.  My SX900 had to be mail ordered without ever playing it.

Best Regards,
   Craig

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 06:37:43 PM »
We all have different requirements.

No truer statement than this.

If your budget is about $800 to $1000 USD and you need an 88-key piano action 'board, especially for home, I recommend trying the DGX-670. The piano sound, hand-to-key connection, and sound system rival the more expensive P-525 (P-515). It's missing a few features and I hope most people will weigh the plusses and minuses.

I agree with Bogdan about playing organ and non-piano instruments on a piano-action keyboard. I have a Clavinova CSP-170 and love playing piano on it. For non-piano instruments, tho', I'm happier with MODX and Genos.

To piano-action or not is a big decision folks should make up-front because the choice will steer them into one product line or another. (Yamaha product lines are silos.)

All the best -- pj

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-dgx-670-do-you-love-me/
https://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-p-515-i-played-one/

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:40:24 PM by pjd »

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 11:30:47 AM »
I've owned various arranger keyboards over the years including Tyros 5 76 and PSR SX700, I now have the DGX670 and in my opinion it is by far the best I have owned. The sound system is great, the quality of the instruments compares to the SX series, the piano sounds and feels like a piano, and the piano room function makes it even better.

I have access to all the features I used on my arranger keyboards without all the bloated extras that I ever touched. And then add in the fact that the 670 has features not found even on the Genos such as Unison and Adaptive Accompaniments, you have a great all round keyboard.

As for the portability, not sure about that as it's very heavy!
Yamaha Genos 1

Offline Dnj

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 02:18:25 PM »
You definitely get your money's worth with the DGX670 in so many ways..
Best Bang for the Buck for sure.. 8)

Offline Cantor

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 04:38:32 AM »
The DGX-670  is a fantastic instrument, but I hope some of the stuff that I mention here will  improve with  the  next model.

It needs the following improvements:

1.  dedicated increase and  decrease Tempo buttons.
2.  separate  Left and Right  1/4"  Outputs
3.  1/4" output connectors for the triple pedals
4.   micro editing features for the Midi recorder/editor aka Song Creator
5.   a 76 key version would be much more portable than an 88 key
6.   old fashioned MIDI IN/OUT connectors
7.   dedicated Dual, Harmony and DSP buttons located on the panel for easily turning them On/Off
8.   eight registration memories instead of 4
9.   assignable buttons, at least 4
10. assignable sliders ( for organ sound or volume control )
11.  expression pedal connection
12.  two headphone outputs (one 1/4" one 3.5mm)

It might make the instrument a little bit more expensive, but it would be worth it. ;D :)

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 11:43:01 AM »
It might not be just a little bit more. Might be quite a lot more.
And although obviously worth it to you, Yamaha needs to weigh up if increasing price  is worth it to their typical target customer for this model. I don’t see them producing a 76 key version for example, because having to support two models instead of one is a costly thing, and the gig player may not be their main target market for this model.
But I having said that, I do think a few of the refinements on your list could appear in future models.
Mike

Offline Cantor

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 10:12:43 PM »
Mikf

I totally agree with you  that they won't do those improvements; however  I'm not so sure who they are trying to target with the 670?

The 670 has a lot of potential.  If they target the average amateur home musician it is  enough as it is, it's actually more than what they need, they will probably never use all the features that the 670 has to offer.

But they could go couple of steps further and broaden their customers, 'cause I'm sure more and more pro-arranger players are taking notice.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 10:47:24 PM »
Yamaha must have made big keybed improvements in the DGX line’s latest 670 version to deserve these compliments, because the keybed and chassis of my 640 from 2010 still sitting in my home today, now serving as a cat bed, was a noisy, echoey, creaky playing experience for me. I would never buy a DGX again based on this experience.

Note: I am revising my above comment to I might consider buying a DGX in the future based on Mark’s comment below:

“Yes, the DGX670 keys are noticeably better than even the DGX660 keys.”
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:29:07 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 11:22:08 PM »
I never tried any of the previous models, but did try the 670 and the keyboard is ok. Not brilliant, but ok, and better than most - maybe all -  of the high arrangers.
Mike

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 09:20:44 AM »
...however  I'm not so sure who they are trying to target with the 670?
The pianists -or more precise, those who wish to learn and enjoy piano playing at home (at reasonable price).

If they target the average amateur home musician it is  enough as it is, it's actually more than what they need, they will probably never use all the features that the 670 has to offer.
That confirms that 670 is very well made for what it is intended.

But they could go couple of steps further and broaden their customers, 'cause I'm sure more and more pro-arranger players are taking notice.
Although they all have a keybed, we need to realize that acoustic piano, portable piano, synthesizer, accordion, arranger, etc., are totally different instruments. Not only they all require different technique (skill) to play the music, they are also usually used for different genres of music.

Speaking for me, I would only be interested on portable piano if it would be better (in arranger sense) than my arranger keyboard is -which can only happen if portable piano becomes arranger keyboard... but we already have arranger keyboards.
Some say "but 670 has real hammer action keybed which is much better..", but keep in mind that this is only true for piano only players. I mean, I never heard that accordion player wished to have hammer action keybed.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 11:37:11 AM »
For the asking price of the DGX670 it does not deserve to be as good as it is.
I'm surprised at the price just how good the build quality is.

DGX670

Offline Lefty

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 01:25:32 PM »
For the asking price of the DGX670 it does not deserve to be as good as it is.
I'm surprised at the price just how good the build quality is.

There is a lot more competition in this price range, and consequently products provide much more value than high-end keyboards do.  The $800-$1,200 range seems to be a sweet spot for keyboard price/performance.

Craig

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 01:38:54 PM »
The CVP attraction is that it allows full piano playing with accompaniment. That’s great for both piano playing beginners - it lets them sound better - and good players - they can perform solo with a band or orchestra. The DGX does the same thing at an incredible price and is semi portable, not a piece of furniture. So it’s a much easier decision for many more people than the CVP.
Yamaha stated two years ago that adding technology to standard piano playing was one of their top business strategies.

Bogdan, getting control of expression is desirable for most musicians. Although the accordion doesn’t provide it in key touch, it does allow some expression control via the bellows. Most quality electronic keyboards provide some kind of touch sensitivity for this reason, but the full piano action just does it best. Once you get used to it most people don’t want to play without it.
Mike
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:48:59 PM by mikf »

Offline pjd

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 06:20:25 PM »
CVP

Yamaha stated two years ago that adding technology to standard piano playing was one of their top business strategies.

The Clavinova CSP series offers a lower cost alternative to CVP. Of course, one must feel comfortable working through a tablet app, Smart Pianist, in order to get full benefit of the internal features.

As to portables, the P-S500 is a more portable version of the CSP-150 and even provides more direct access to internal features through its touch panel. At $1,500 USD (street price), the P-S500 is quite affordable, too. The P-S500 has (roughly) the same sound set as SX700. I'm blown away by what these instruments can provide at relatively low price points.

Yamaha is adding technology through apps, too. The "piano evoce" app is in public beta testing. Like Chord Tracker and the score extraction features of CSP, the piano evoce app is intended to enhance piano playing experience with vocal parts extracted from audio (MP3/WAV). Play along while Taylor Swift sings!!!  :)

It's a good time to be playing -- pj

Yamaha piano evoce app: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,69140.0.html
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:23:33 PM by pjd »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 06:53:15 PM »
Yes, the DGX670 represents the pinnacle of bang for the buck Yamaha arranger (it's essentially a stripped down CVP701, which launched at nearly $3600 CAD in matte black, just over $4k for the PE (and that was 11 years ago, it's gone up since) so the DGX represents an incredible bang for the buck. Yes, the DGX670 keys are noticeably better than even the DGX660 keys.

There is one flaw, that I find odd nobody here has encountered (but all of our customers noticed, and I simply tell them to use headphones or *don't* play at full volume if you're playing fortissimo), but the amplifiers aren't powerful enough for the speakers. So playing at full volume, even *just* the piano, if you play fortissimo, the speakers will crackle.  That, and the lower CVP701 /PSRs770/PSRsx600/DGX670 sound library compared to the higher end PS500 (and speakers powerful enough to play at any volume, any strength, and they don't crackle), which shares the same sound library as the PSRs970/975/PSRsx700/CVP705/CSP1xx series, which is a huge step up from the previous (DGX670) sound library. But it also costs nearly double the 670, so there's that.

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 09:05:17 PM »
Adding a couple of quality power monitors will improve the sound to terrific levels, and for only about $100 -200 so the package is still a bargain.
Mike