Author Topic: Regrets and now on this website  (Read 536 times)

Offline CJ4ever

• Keys and sax are a saxy combination ;-)
Regrets and now on this website
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
Hello forum-members !

Very nice to have discovered this website and forum about PSR !

As a kid I had lessons and played the organ, it was a Yamaha Electone ME-30 (!), do (some of) you remember that one ?

Later on I went on to synthesizers (Yamaha Motif XS, Roland Fantom, Korg Triton and plugins) , playing in bands, music production with DAW’s and also play saxophone.

Through the years I did not have any focus anymore on playing arranger-keyboards. Due to lack of time but also my ‘thoughts’ I had about arrangers.

I have to admit that nowadays the possibilities and the sound-qualities are so much worth it. So yes, after paying around with some arrangers at my dad’s place (he has Tyros and had Korg and Roland arrangers before, no ‘comparison’ intended) I decided to buy the Yamaha PSR-S750.  I sort of 'regret' I did not do it earlier. Well I guess everything has a reason :-)

Since I am not playing keys/synths in bands anymore (at least not on a regular base) I tend to spend more time on the arranger keyboard and the interest is growing !!!

So yes, I really like all the information I read here on the forum. Where I can help others I will and I am thankful anyway for the existence of this site.

I hope more 'newer' generations will see the value of arranger keyboards. To my opinion they are not only for one-man-band gigs but also useful for sounds in a band. And serious tools in the process of music production. My personal preferred music styles are Smooth Jazz/ R&B/Soul/Deep House/Lounge

Haha because of my enthusiasm I even want to share the fun of playing the S750 here in this video link:

https://youtu.be/co6zHAcKqQw

Good day to all !

CJ

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:36:17 AM by CJ4ever »

Offline Toril S

Re: Regrets and now on this website
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
Hello GJ. Great performance. Well done. We welcome you☺
Toril S

Offline AndrewKeyz

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
Hi CJ,

Great vid.

Welcome.  :) I just joined this week too.

I've been on a somewhat similar musical journey and also completely disregarded looking at arranger keyboards since my teens. Even then I was mostly using a Technics KN1000 to program backing tracks and the styles to me sounded too primitive. Too much "hoompa-pa-pa"?
But what I've been hearing from newer arrangers the last months doing research on YouTube and links from here including the likes of your video they seem very powerful and a completely alternative way (compared to DAW intense programming / sequencing) to making music quickly or just having fun.
I'm impressed how close the styles from the likes of your keyboard / 770 or 970 sound to original songs.

I don't own an arranger yet.
Just going through the motions of which one to buy at the moment but the s750 or s770 seem very very cost effective indeed.
Andrew

Offline jgriffin

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
Hi CJ4ever and AndrewKeyz....welcome.  I was introduced to the arrangers a few years ago and I've never looked back.  It has been a very enjoyable trip and I'm hoping my new GENOS will carry the journey forward to the end.   8)
Janet
PSR Performer page
GENOS, Yamaha Baby Grand, (2) Motif ES8, Tyos 2, (2) Tyros 3, Tyros 5-76, DGX-650 & 660, Yamaha P140, StagePas 300 & 600, (2) Bose Compact, Yamaha AG06

Offline CJ4ever

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:44:09 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcomes !

Yes, I understand Andrew's somewhat similar musical journey in this.
Somehow arranger keyboards just 'did not do it' for me.
For this moment I see nice options to accompany singers, like presenting them a whole band.
I think with the right mixing/PA on a stage it really will not sound 'keyboard-ish' . To me I start to get more and more convinced that the newer and upcoming arrangers can be a serious live instruments without having to rent or start a band. I would not say now that an arranger is THE replacement for a band, but soundwise bookers/customers don't have to worry that the performance will lack something.

And yes, it is so nice to be able to adjust and create (sections of) styles on the keyboard itself.
You have to learn of course but it did not take long for me to learn the basics of the style creator.

Eventhough I work 'easier' on the computer (with Logic as a DAW and midi-keyboard) for producing music  I did not have much problems with 'translating' that workflow to the arranger-way of thinking for creating style. It is for this moment not faster for me, but I am not in a hurry :-)

If anyone would talk or ask about arranger keyboards, I would not mind being an ambassador for having fun with arrangers :-)

This is such a new experience for me. Haha besides the video that I linked in my first post I did more Youtube-videos before, with 'cool' synthesizer/workstations/DAW and I would have never thought that I would ever show serious interest for arrangers.

CJ

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
Hi Cj,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your performance, really enjoyed listening to it :)

regards,

Peter 8)

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 12:40:56 PM »
Hi CJ,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  You have a very impressive background and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your PSR-S750 keyboard performance.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains 41,000+ song titles in 670 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here that are always very willing to help you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:53:47 PM by Roger Brenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline CJ4ever

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »
Wow Roger !

Thank you for the welcome and many thanks for your comment on the Youtube-video I posted earlier.

Will gladly discover more of this website/forum :-)

Kind regards,

CJ

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:01:55 AM »
Like those b4 me, welcome to the forum.  Nice performance.  I am sure we will be seeing more of these in the future.  As Roger said in his post, be sure to check out the lessons on the main site as there is a ton of stuff there for you information that will be useful to you.

Earl
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2017 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
Hey CJ... you play like a Pro!

Very nice indeed.  I'd like to hear you play the Sax as well.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:38:47 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline CJ4ever

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
All warm welcomes, feels good, thnx :-)

Yes these days I am 'lurking' the homepage and the forumpage of PSR, and yes Joe one day I might record my saxophone playing ;-)