Author Topic: Creating an XML file for Cubase PSR S770/970  (Read 667 times)

Offline Volkmin

Creating an XML file for Cubase PSR S770/970
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
I'm interested in how to make an XML file from cubase parse file scripts. I use PSR RS770 to work in Steinberg Nuendo4.3 sequencer, it allows XML file entry. It is necessary to convert the text file parse file into XML format. I have tried in various ways [online] to create a complete Yamaha sound bank list of instruments + new custom voices (expansion) but I did not succeed. I want to get a legal order for a single file of Yamaha Instruments, as well as my expanded custom voices list. Has anyone worked this? I know there are already written XML files for the S770 / 970, but I did not see there was a custom expansion list of sounds. With which program can we get proper convert text files in musical XML format? I thank everyone for help.

Thx :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:14:30 AM by Volkmin »

Offline Volkmin

Re: Creating an XML file for Cubase PSR S770/970
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »
I've given you as a few XML files (win rar)

Greetings :)

The following users thanked this post: SeaGtGruff

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:15:41 AM »
I have made myself a cubase parse file script (with expansion voices), I correctly insert the file under the proper place, but the cubase does not want to load the text file. Which log (UTF, ANSI etc) is the proper procedure, does anyone know? ???

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
I downloaded your files the other night but haven't looked at them yet. I'm no expert on such patch files, or importing them into Cubase, but I'll look at your files to see if anything jumps out at me, and then try importing them into my Cubase Elements to see what happens. When you made your files, did you use an existing patch file as your starting point?
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
Thanks for your help. All written cubase parse file scripts are text files. Those who are derived from yamaha work flawless when i try to insert MY  EDITED text (midi device manager) does not want to load, despite the fact that they are identical.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
I have made myself a cubase parse file script (with expansion voices), I correctly insert the file under the proper place, but the cubase does not want to load the text file. Which log (UTF, ANSI etc) is the proper procedure, does anyone know? ???

If it doesn't load into Cubase... there is a typo in the script.  Example: It could be a period instead of a comma.

Regards,
Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:38:48 AM »
yes, I understand, I will try again to find a solution. Thanks Joe

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:22:58 AM »
Here is a template and Euro Dance file I made for myself.

I forgot to mention that if the [end] message is missing, the file won't load either.

Joe H

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:24:24 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:08:54 AM »
I was looking in the ZIP file you posted and realized that it contains XML files (as the topic title suggests). I'm not sure whether you can just edit the XML file. What you should do is edit the TXT file and then import it into Cubase. You should be able to find the TXT files in the following directory:

DRIVE_LETTER:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 8_64\Scripts\Patchnames\inactive\yamaha

The parts in blue (DRIVE_LETTER and YOUR_USER_NAME) should be replaced with the letter of the drive where you installed Cubase, and your user name on the computer. I should add that this is for a Windows PC, and I'm not sure what the path would be on a Mac, although I assume it would be somewhat similar.

EDIT: And the part in purple will vary depending on which version of Cubase you're using.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:10:41 AM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:57 AM »
Thanks Michael for adding that information.  I was thinking of adding it myself... which is important to place the text file in the right location so Cubase can find it.

:)

Joe H

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:26:51 AM by Joe H »

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
DRIVE_LETTER:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase LE AI Elements 8_64\Scripts\Patchnames\inactive\yamaha

I use Nuendo 4.3 program. My problem is following, i make a text file (like a cubase parse file) i use for expansion voice, my ratings that i have personally made. Now I'm recording MSB / LSB (add-on with my sounds / expansion), same as with other stenberg parse script files. I set that file exactly where you explained it. When i go to the midi device manager, and when i do the work that Nuendo imports the same file, it does not want to load it. Is there a problem in enconding ansi, utf8? In the output section, it is possible to extract XML music format. I tried to connect the S770 data and upgrade them with EXPANSION (my sounds) but I did not succeed. That's my problem.

Thanks for understanding and help.

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
Thanks for understanding and help.

My file, Joe, can you try it yourself, whether this is the right file. I can not load it (install device midi manager)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:14:55 AM by Volkmin »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »
Hi Volkmin,

I have looked at your .txt file and although I don't know for sure what the order of the data values in each voice record represents, from the record for the final voice   [p2,126,1,11]TurkishPercKit2   it looks as if you have ordered the record as [p2,MSB,LSB,ProgChange]

In fact the correct order for a Cubase file should be [p2,ProgChange,MSB,LSB] !

This may be why you are having problems!

Regards

Ian

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
Hi Tyr., I will try to change order MSB / LSB / PC so i'll see where the error is, thank you.

Yes, I've tried your way to Tyr. I did it, thank you very much for help.

:)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:08:24 AM by Volkmin »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »
I also meant to mention that you need to  use the correct MIDI value for the ProgChange.

This is 1 less than the value that Yamaha print in their Data List's and Pack Lists, and what is shown on the keyboard (assuming that you have yours set to show the Voice IDs!  So if Yamaha quote PC 1, the correct MIDI value is 0!

This only applies to the PC data.  The MSB and LSB values are as Yamaha shows them.

Regards

Ian

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 11:58:13 AM »
Another problem. When I do a completely new text file (9 computer desktop/win10), Nuendo normally opens a parse script script. If I add new texts to it, it does not allow it. My opinion is that the point in ansi or utf record, I'm not the best expert. A brand new record goes without a hitch. Tyr., Do you know this? How to check the problem, some software?

regards
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:59:55 AM by Volkmin »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 03:59:32 PM »
I'm not familiar with Nuendo, but it sounds like the program keeps a record of the Voice Definition files and you cannot add any new 'User Voice List" to the program.

Have you done this before?

Joe H

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »
Have you tried copying the TXT file to a new name-- e.g., "PSR-S770 with YEPs.txt"-- editing the copy, and importing it as a new patch list?
Michael Rideout

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
I'm not familiar with Nuendo, but it sounds like the program keeps a record of the Voice Definition files and you cannot add any new 'User Voice List" to the program.

Have you done this before?

Joe H

Joe, Nuendo4 is almost identical to Cubase5, with minor differences, the concept of work and sound engine is almost identical.

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
Have you tried copying the TXT file to a new name-- e.g., "PSR-S770 with YEPs.txt"-- editing the copy, and importing it as a new patch list?

Sea, what exactly do you think? Some procedure, specific? When I copied it as a new text, the midi device manager did not want to enter the data. That's why I had to open a (new) desktop (one piece), and then I wrote a complete bank (msb / lsb / program) and only then did I import the file into midi device, after which I converted to XML and now it works great. I've been thinking if there are any software that would make it easier to handle text files.

regards

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
Hi

Have you tried to validate the xml file, e.g. at https://www.xmlvalidation.com/

Xml file structure must be nothing less than 100% correct...

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: Volkmin

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:29 PM »
Volkmin, are you saying you got it working now? My thinking was that the XML file might not be editable as such, because it contains information (the long strings of numbers) that the TXT file doesn't have, hence I'm guessing that information gets created by Cubase/Nuendo when you import the TXT file. And I was thinking that the existing XML file might be protected in some way, either write-protected on the hard drive or maybe the program just isn't designed to delete an existing XML file so it can recreate it if you try to import an edited version of the TXT file that has the same name as the old file (which I assume determines what the XML file will be called).
Michael Rideout

The following users thanked this post: Volkmin

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 05:14:02 AM »
Volkmin, are you saying you got it working now? My thinking was that the XML file might not be editable as such, because it contains information (the long strings of numbers)...

SeaGt, my friend, yes, i have managed to make a correct steinberg XML music file, it works flawlessly. There is a difference in the code of the record between the classic text and the XML file. XML is by me quality and reliable. Txt file, I can always edit. XML does not need to be edited, I say that XML is the ultimate format when you really do that in your TXT all is done validly.

Regards

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:20 AM »
Hi

Have you tried to validate the xml file, e.g. at https://www.xmlvalidation.com/

Xml file structure must be nothing less than 100% correct...

Jørgen

Jorgen, yes, everything works fine. Thx

regards

Offline Joe H

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 07:32:51 AM »
So... what was the problem?  It's important to post that info here so readers can understand what the issue was.

;)

Joe H

Offline Volkmin

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
So... what was the problem?  It's important to post that info here so readers can understand what the issue was.

;)

Joe H

I've already said. I'll give you an example: For example, I got a cubase text script from you, then I wanted to include my extension (msb / lsb) expansion voice list (s770, my expansion) in the existing file. That is then save (or save as) and put it under roaming, user, inactive etc. At Steinberg Nuendo I then open Midi Device Manager. I want to load that document, but it does not happen. Then I realized that if it goes to save as text, there are some changes, it then causes the problem of text scrambling in the midi device.

If I put your file right under inactive / yamaha, then Nuendo uploaded a file without problems. (for example, you sent me as an original, I did not do anything). Why am I saying this to you? There is encoding in ansi and utf8 format - when the modified text is being saved. This is the problem that Cubase / Nuendo does not allow import to the midi device manager. Hopefully I explained enough to you.

When I opened a new text document on the desktop, I wrote a list of expansion voice in one piece. I saved it and sent a copy to the inactive folder. Then it was worth it. If I would like to re-add a new text and save it again after sending it to inactive - Cubase / Nuendo does not even want to load that file at all.

Regards Joe
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:39:47 PM by Volkmin »