Author Topic: Tweaking S.Art2 Voices  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Dromeus

Tweaking S.Art2 Voices
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
Hi folks

I tried to tweak the S.Art2 Trombone. The following observations do hold for any S.Art2 voice (in a similar fashion), I guess.

The S.Art2 Trombone has a strong vibrato that is triggered early after pressing a key. The goal was to control that effect to my liking.

• If you move the joystick to Mod+ and release it again, the vibrato is canceled for all subsequent playing. The vibrato depth may be controlled using Mod+.
  • To get back the preset vibrato, press Modulation Hold twice.
  • You may control the vibrato depth to your liking and fix that setting using Modulation Hold. Unfortunately this cannot be saved in a registration for easy recall (which is a shame as this would have solved my problem).
  • Tweaking the voice set does not help. For Mod+ you may alter filter/amplitude but controlling the vibrato is not possible.
  • For the same reason it is not possible to route the vibrato to the aftertoch controller.

I understand that S.Art(2) voices are complex to build and maybe it is difficult for the developers to give more control (besides the S.Art buttons) to the player. Though it would be desirable to have this feature.

In case of the trombone I happen to own the S.Art2 Trombone that was originally released for the T3. This trombone is softer/smoother and fits better my current needs.
Regards, Michael

Offline jwyvern

Re: Tweaking S.Art2 Voices
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Hi Dromeus,
it is possible to edit some blanked properties of SA2 voices in a circuitous way, which I have done many times for vibrato speed and sometimes Mono since once done it is usually more convenient to have them saved as User voices. On Tyros I usually required more vibrato speed for jazzy sounds, but I can see that some of the Genos voices go over the top and I will be reducing it in some cases. If you need to know how post again, meantime I have attached the SA2 Trombone with less vibrato. If you go to Voice Edit on Genos you'll see I have edited the blanked Vibrato and put -10 in the speed to slow it down a bit, but you may want to have a go yourself to get it sounding as you want.
John

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:30:51 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: StuartR, Dromeus

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
Awesome, John.

What is your way to do this?

I loaded the sa2 file into a hex editor and found immediatly it should be byte 0x63. Was the only byte with value 0x36, which translates to -10... The locations of the remaining vibrato parameters could be easily found, too.

Vibrato Speed: byte 0x63
Vibrato Depth: byte 0x73
Vibrato Delay: byte 0x83

Cool  8). Thanks for guiding me to the right direction.
Regards, Michael

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »
Dromeus,
It is possible to do it in Voice Edit on the keyboard:
1. Load the SA2 Voice into say R1.

2. Push Direct Access followed by R1 voice selector button to get the Voice Set filter. Remove all the ticks in R1.

3. Now load a conveniently placed non SA2 voice to R1. In the case of the Trombone this could be the Cornet, convenient because it's on the same page for swapping back and forth. With the ticks gone the loaded cornet adopts the Voice Set properties of the trombone.

4.Now edit the cornet's Vibrato speed you want to try. (positive for faster, negative for slower).

5. Load the Trombone again. It now adopts the props of the cornet, meaning it gets its original settings back plus the vibrato speed. Check how the vibrato sounds and if not right go back to 3 and try again.

When finished remember to put the ticks back into R1. Be aware they do not return automatically, even after power off!
You can change the settings in the other vibrato properties but I have not found any response, it's just the speed that is controllable using the above.
The only other blanked property that can be changed, that I am aware of is Mono/Poly which has occasionally been useful for me eg. to avoid distortion through inadvertently scuffing 2 notes while using certain insert dsp's with SA2 saxes.
John
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:03:28 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: soundphase, Dromeus

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »
Cool trick, quick, easy and works like a charm. Thanks for sharing!
Regards, Michael

The following users thanked this post: Moontom