Author Topic: Fun with DSPs  (Read 14039 times)

Offline jsb1999

Fun with DSPs
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
Now that we have 28 DSPs to play with and the ability to layer them onto voices, lots of new possibilities are opened up.
This is an attempt I made to emulate the Classic Edge guitar intro to U2's "Pride (In the Name of Love)".
Basically, this takes a standard E.Guitar sound and adds, chorus, AC30 amp, and the essential dotted 8th delay via separate DSPs.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Fun with DSPs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
Nice demo, but can you save the setup with multiple DSPs in any way?

As a user voice, or registration perhaps?

Regards

Ian

Offline jsb1999

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
You can save it as a registration.
If you save it as a user voice, I don't think the 'extra' DSPs are saved with the voice. (sad)

The following users thanked this post: tyrosaurus

Offline voodoo

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »
Thanks for this demo. This is what I expected from Genos.  8)
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline svpworld

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
I managed to add an extra insertion effect to a distortion guitar but I can't figure out how to change any of the settings in the additional insertion effect?  I went into the part settings and assigned Right 1 to an additional insert effect.  Not sure if this is correct but there doesn't appear to be any way of seeing the settings of the second dip effect other than choosing one of the effects?  You can change the voice dsp insertion effect fine. I want to take a distortion electric preset guitar and add an additional phaser dsp to it.

Simon

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »
Hi Simon,
It can be quite a rigmarole setting up all those extra DSP's.
However once you have assigned the second DSP to your voice (the phaser in your case, let's assume for R1), go back to the Voice Part Setup Screen (the one displayed by pushing the Voice panel button while in the Home Screen) then touch Ins at the bottom of that screen corresponding to the R1 position. That gets you to another Assign Part Setting screen and you should see the name of your 2nd DSP (Phaser?) above the Right1 position.
If you now touch Phaser you will get the Detailed setting screen for that  DSP assigned to R1 and your first DSP should remain intact.
Try saving it all in a registration ;).

John 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:47:23 PM by jwyvern »

Offline svpworld

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
Brilliant, many thanks John!  I've  been working on a Pink Floyd sound just for fun so I'll upload a sample shortly.  I noticed in the manual it appears that you could only apply more than 1 insert effect to the song tracks and that certain inserts are only applicable to either style parts, song parts etc.  However I think a bit more experimentation might reveal there is a lot more you can do such as applying several DSPs to the same voice part... Wow!!!!

Simon

jerrythek

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 12:51:48 AM »
Hi Simon,
It can be quite a rigmarole setting up all those extra DSP's.
However once you have assigned the second DSP to your voice (the phaser in your case, let's assume for R1), go back to the Voice Part Setup Screen (the one displayed by pushing the Voice panel button while in the Home Screen) then touch Ins at the bottom of that screen corresponding to the R1 position. That gets you to another Assign Part Setting screen and you should see the name of your 2nd DSP (Phaser?) above the Right1 position.
If you now touch Phaser you will get the Detailed setting screen for that  DSP assigned to R1 and your first DSP should remain intact.
Try saving it all in a registration ;).

John

Hi John:

I've been playing around with assigning multiple DSP's to a Voice, and what you are saying here isn't working for me. It "seems" to me that the Panel 1 of the Mixer page will only show (and let you edit) the first DPS slot you assign. As an example, I have a Voice in Right3 with originally had Insertion Effect 17 assigned (as usual)... in this case it is the Damper Resonance effect. I then went back and assigned another effect using Slot 3, and then a third effect using slot 4. I hear them all, but the only thing that is displayed on the Panel1 screen for Right3 says the effect I put in Slot 3. I can't get to the parameters of Slot 4, nor back to Slot 17. If I unassign Slot 3, I can now see the parameters for Slot4, but never get to Slot17. Follow me?

So the only workaround I've found is to start with the highest # slot I want to assign and edit, and the work backwards to a lower-numbered slot, assign and edit, and then finally the lowest # slot. I can then have a sound with all custom adjusted effects and then I can save that as a registration. And if I do that for all three Parts I can make a custom-DSP designed equivalent of a One Touch Setting.

I'd love to have you confirm that this is true for you as well. Or anyone else that is reading this. Much thanks!

Jerry

Offline jsb1999

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 02:17:50 AM »
Yes, I am seeing the same behavior.  It's shame you can't get to the DSP editing screens from the Assign DSPs screen.  The best workaround that I think of is to temporarily assign some of the DSPs to another voice to access the hidden DSPs. That way you wont lose the edits you've made as you will if you unassign the slot.  In your example you could temporarily assign DSPs 3 and 4 to Right 2 to be able to access DSP 17, then reassign them to voice 3 when you are done.

jerrythek

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 03:45:25 AM »
Thanks for confirming - and your workaround method makes good sense.

Regards,

Jerry

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »
Hi Jerry,
When I was experimenting with 2 DSP's on a piano voice I found that you needed to finish making adjustments to the first one before moving to the next as it wasn't clear whether you could get back to the first ones details later.  I didn't go any further into it then although given time we may find a way of doing it. Meantime assigning temporarily to other voices as suggested by jsb seems a good workaround.
John

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »
It's shame you can't get to the DSP editing screens from the Assign DSPs screen.

That's unfortunate, you can do this on the S (and Tyros?)

Another one for the next firmware update ....?
Genos

Offline voodoo

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »
That's unfortunate, you can do this on the S (and Tyros?)

Another one for the next firmware update ....?

On the S it is not officially possible to assign more than one DSP to one voice. You can do this, but DSP stealing occurs afterwards when another voice is loaded to another part.

But when you do this, you can edit all effect parameters of all DSPs. The menu structure was different to allow this.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »
By the way: which order is applied for the signal routing when multiple DSPs are assigned to one voice?
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline DerekA

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
On the S it is not officially possible to assign more than one DSP to one voice. You can do this, but DSP stealing occurs afterwards when another voice is loaded to another part.

Yep, agreed - I meant that from the assignment page, you can jump straight to the parameter page for any assigned effect. This is missing on Genos, which is the reason why people are finding it tricky to set up multiple insert effects.

(Noted you did say this too about the menu structure being different)
Genos

jerrythek

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 04:33:58 AM »
Hi Jerry,
When I was experimenting with 2 DSP's on a piano voice I found that you needed to finish making adjustments to the first one before moving to the next as it wasn't clear whether you could get back to the first ones details later.  I didn't go any further into it then although given time we may find a way of doing it. Meantime assigning temporarily to other voices as suggested by jsb seems a good workaround.
John

Yes, John, by temporarily assigning the earliest DSP in the chain you can get to the next one and re-edit it if desired. This totally works. It's a bit wonky, but the system wasn't designed for us to do this. That said, it totally works, and can be saved as a Registration. So, for example, if you don't play along to backing Songs, you have all those Insert Effects always available for you to beef up your voices. Pretty cool.

Jerry

Offline voodoo

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
Hi,

yesterday I received my Genos and tried this problem. You can edit each assigned DSP individually without problems. Just click on the gear symbol in the lower left corner in the DSP selection dialog. So to edit a selected DSP in the assignment dialog, click on its name and then on the edit symbol.

I think this issue is closed.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »
Uli,
One of the problems is you can as you say,  select the name in the part assign screen which takes you to another screen where you can select a different dsp type if required but (on my Genos) the latter gives no Editing or Detail option (and no gear icons as there can be when using just single dsp's) . Just a close option.
If it did there would not be an issue. Is there another screen I (and others)  are failing to find?
John
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:22:24 PM by jwyvern »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
Uli,
One of the problems is you can as you say,  select the name in the part assign screen which takes you to another screen where you can select a different dsp type if required but (on my Genos) the latter gives no Editing or Detail option (and no gear icons as there can be when using just single dsp's) . Just a close option.
If it did there would not be an issue. Is there another screen I (and others)  are failing to find?
John

Hi John,

I have still firmware 1.02, will update the next days. I hope the edit button will not disappear. I will make a screen shot later at home.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

jerrythek

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 01:25:21 AM »
I am using the last firmware 1.10.

Offline jsb1999

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 11:28:35 PM »