PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-E Series

Recording audio via USB@Android with PSR-E453

(1/4) > >>

arvacon:
Hi.

I have a Lenovo Tab2 A10-70 (Android Marshmallow 6) tablet and I was searching for a free app that it can record audio via USB, but I couldn't find something to work. I envy the Ipad users, they have so many great apps to use and we android users have nothing from Yamaha..

But finally for good luck, before I give up about this idea, I tried to record via the default android recorder app and it seems that it can record directly from the keyboard via USB! The files that it creates are in 3gpp format, but with a simple audio converter app, you make them mp3 with one click. The audio quality of the 3gpp file seems to be 128kbps stereo, at 48kHz. Does anyone knows what is the raw quality of the USB audio?

I didn't notice any hiss noise at the recorded files, so I like this audio to USB function, it seems clear. I could use a DAW of course and connect the keyboard to pc, but there are moments that you just want share a song you played with a friend in a quick and easy way, as Ipad users do with the Yamaha recorder app.

I have also noticed that this is not possible with my Samsung phone (Galaxy Alpha, Lolipop 5 android with OTG support), probably because of the android version or maybe some devices doesn't support this usb audio function. You could have a test at your tablets or phones to see if they are working or not, so we could make a compatibility list about which devices are capable to record usb audio with the default app.

I have uploaded some 3gpp and mp3 samples for reference here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yp340vrmebh6n2o/AACkJp0zgS5MvuZFNB94yeOda?dl=0

AnupamEnosh:
Hi arvacon,
As far as the official data is concerned, the USB TO HOST port sends an output of 44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo audio, well bitrate is not mentioned there.
One request, please install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonymobile.androidapp.audiorecorder and then record the audio then let us know the results. As far as I know, this app records much superior audio than the manufacturer provided app, in .wav format. :)

SeaGtGruff:
This is great to hear! I have an old Android tablet-- Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ with a memory card that lets me boot up with either the Nook OS or an older version of Android-- and I wasn't able to use my keybords with it. (I haven't tried again lately.) From what I've read online, the biggest hurdle is that many Android devices don't have USB host mode capability, or what I think they call USB On The Go (USB OTG). What version of Android does your phone have? Does it have USB OTG? If so, was it included with the OS or did you have to install it yourself? And what kind of connection (USB cable and/or adapter) are you using?

AnupamEnosh:
Sir as far as my research is concerned, the USB audio support in Android was featured first in Android Lollipop 5.0, so technically it should work in all such devices running 5.0 and higher versions of Android.

vbdx66:
Hi,

This is great, because then it makes it worth buying a cheap Android tablet for the sole purpose of recording the Audio USB output of the keyboard. Buy such a tablet (with Android 5.0 or better), a micro SD memory card, and you are set!

I suppose that now that latency issues were resolved and that Android tablets can handle Audio USB, we can hope to see more Android music/audio apps flourishing...

Come on Yamaha, are you listening...?  8) 8) 8)

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version