Author Topic: Unleash the MINIMOOG in your PSR-E433, E443, or E453!  (Read 8321 times)

Offline SciNote

Unleash the MINIMOOG in your PSR-E433, E443, or E453!
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »
I figured I'd try to duplicate the Classic MiniMoog sound found on the popular 1970's TV show, The Rockford files.  While doing some research on the internet, I found one synth tutorial that said the three oscillators on the MiniMoog were set to pitches of 16', 8', and 2', which gave me a starting point.  Since the PSR-E series can only combine two sounds (main and dual) to simulate two oscillators, I used the 80's brass sound for the main voice to start with a nice, full synth sound that helps approximate the 16' and 8' sounds, and then added a modified Portatone sound for the 2' sound.

I'm not sure if this is the intention with the name of that tone (portatone), but when used properly, it does seem to simulate a portamento effect, as long as the notes are not too far apart, which is why I chose this tone.

On my recording, I pretty much improvised the left hand, and just used the split voice's brass sound for the part between where the synth sound is.  I also set the keyboard split point quite high to allow for more room to play this section.

I figured it would be best to post the sound clip in the section for songs recorded by forum members...

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40589.0.html

And for those who may not be familiar with the original, here it is on YouTube...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8V5sRVXGk

Here's the patch...

Note that, since the split point was set quite high to allow more room to play a melody on the left side of the keyboard, the octave settings on the main and dual voices are one octave lower than normal to allow the main synth melody to be played high on the right side of the keyboard, but at a normal pitch.  When using this synth sound in a more normal fashion, it is probably best to raise the octave settings of the main and dual voices by 1, unless you're going for more of a bass-synth effect.

Main voice...
Voice .............. 140 -- 80sBrass (likely different voice numbers for PSR-E443 and E453)
Volume ........... 105
Octave ............ -2
Pan ................ 64
Reverb ............ 64
Chorus ............ 74
Attack ............. 64
Release ........... 64
Cutoff ............. 106
Resonance ...... 117

Dual Voice...
Voice .............. 167 -- Portatone (likely different voice numbers for PSR-E443 and E453)
Volume ........... 95
Octave ............ 0
Pan ................ 64
Reverb ............ 64
Chorus ............ 74
Attack ............. 67
Cutoff ............. 106
Resonance ...... 117

Split Voice... (Not directly related to the main synth sound, but to show what I used as a background)
Voice .............. 135 -- OctBrass (also likely different voice numbers for the E443 and E453)
Volume ........... 100
Octave ............ 0
Pan ................ 64
Reverb ............ 127
Chorus ............ 100

Overall Reverb Setting -- Hall-1
Overall Chorus Setting -- Flanger-1

Upon further experimentation, setting the split voice octave to 1 instead of 0 would result in the part played between the main synth parts of the song sounding less "muddied", but with less bass.  It is a balancing act!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:13:23 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline pjd

Re: Unleash the MINIMOOG in your PSR-E433, E443, or E453!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
Hi Bob --

I'm always amazed at what you can get out of an E4xx!

Meanwhile, the people in the high-rent district "rattle their jewelry." Apologies to John Lennon.  :D

Take care -- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:44:04 AM »
Thanks!  These keyboards are great little keyboards, with capabilities that, in many ways, exceed the capabilities of pro keyboards of just a decade or two ago.  The ability to customize the sounds with filter and envelope control, as well as chorus, flanger, and reverb, allows for some really impressive sounding patches for a $250-300 keyboard.  And when combined with a DAW, many overdubbed audio tracks can be recorded with no regard to any limitation to the keyboard's onboard polyphony limitations.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »
I confess to being one of the folks always calling for deeper editing (down to the waveform level).

Your posts, though, show what's possible with the tools that we have. That's terrific!  :)

-- pj

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 03:57:19 PM »
Hi pj,

If you want to be able to tweak the sound to wave level, which keyboard are you currently using? A Korg PA or a Montage? If I have understood correctly, even the Genos won’t allow that level of tweaking, right?

But these PSR E3xx and 4xx and EW are really something. My deepest regret as far as keyboards are concerned is that I did not keep my PSR E433. Hope two find one second-hand but people dont seem to resell them...

Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
If you want to be able to tweak the sound to wave level, which keyboard are you currently using? A Korg PA or a Montage? If I have understood correctly, even the Genos won’t allow that level of tweaking, right?

Hi Vinciane --

My main go-to instrument is the Yamaha MOX6. I've tweaked about 40+ voices that I use at church. I'm usually one or two button presses away from the sound that I need when playing.

As far as Genos is concerned, I'd like to use Genos at special occasions. I've put together about 30 or so voices/layers on the S950 for at-home church practice. (Don't know how to say that in a more graceful way...) The S950 voices/layers approximate the customized MOX voices and layers. A good experiment and I don't think I'll be hindered too much with Genos.   ;) [A little humorous understatement, here, folks.]

Plus, there's always YEM. I created some S950 voices (pipe organ, scat vocal) using the never officially released Expansion Voice Editor (EVE). I ported the scat vocals to YEM -- a good learning experience.

Hey, hey, all the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Lisa

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
Sound's like the original...
That's a thing I like about the 4xx series of Yamaha..
Good Job :)

pquenin

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 07:40:34 AM »
I have tried your Moog sound on my PSR-E453 and it's a great one, thanks !

Offline SciNote

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »
Thanks!  Glad I could help.  I always love to see what kind of sounds I can get out of these keyboards.
Bob