Author Topic: The screen position  (Read 30558 times)

Bachus

The screen position
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »

Am i the only one that is a bit worried that it will be hard to touch the items on the bottom of the screen?

DavidB

Re: The screen position
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »
I imagine it could be, especially if you have fat fingers like mine :)

I'm also worried the screen will at times not respond, such as on the CVP. It's an odd thing, you touch it, it clicks to acknowledge the touch, but nothing changes. Only a major issue if you're using it in a live performance, but I had hoped it was fixed until I saw it do this exact thing, it seemed, to Martin Harris in one of his demo's.

Regards,

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
@Bachus
@david
I touched it ... and in MY Opinion the important thing is the size, so with a thick thumb it work :-)

I also used the touch on the CVP Series, but there the display ist to small for a thick thumb.

greetings frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »
That’s the only reason putting me off to put in a pre-order.  I’ll need to try it out first before I buy one.

Friend of my just bought a new Ketron with a fix display.  Not that impressive.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
Touch screens are not a panacea, they have been known to fail at the most inopportune  times, and I personally, have had two touch screens fail, one on a GPS/Plotter used for navigation and another on a smart phone.

This is not to say the multiple buttons and menus are better, buttons also fail, and probably with more regularity because many players have the tendency to mash down on a button switch with far too much pressure, thereby resulting in premature failure.

Yamaha did something that I requested a decade ago - they changed their displays to super twist technology LED, which results in a display that can readily be seen at nearly any angle, in high definition, and very easy to read, even with poor eyesight. This was a huge step up in the displays and they were light years ahead of other manufacturers with this.

One of the reasons that manufacturers usually do not use tilt screen displays for touch screens is that the screen tends to move when you press to select an item near the top of the screen. And, the same players that destroy button switches will likely be pressing the touch screens too hard as well. ;)

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

organaut

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:49 PM »
I had the Ketron module too. It was ok but I wouldn’t feel confident with it in a live situation when my hands start to sweat. I don’t feel the Genos will be a problem though, especially as we’ve got the 10 registration buttons . I’m quite excited about the new playlist feature.I think those virtual buttons on the screen are nice and big enough to rely on live. That will help a great deal. I get a bit nervous at my gigs keeping the audience waiting while I change registration pages on my Tyros 5 between songs at the moment and I have a habit of forgetting to turn off the freeze button sometimes. Very embarrasing to try playing “apache” to a samba style with a jazz flute  ;D . I also do requests which makes it even more crucial that I can find a suitable registration/style swiftly.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:52:51 PM by organaut »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »
Am i the only one that is a bit worried that it will be hard to touch the items on the bottom of the screen?

I'm equally concerned about the organization of menus on the Genos.  From looking at the manual, the S970 screen appears to be better organized and more ergonomic in layout and using buttons.   Another problem for me is I don't much care for a lot of icons.  My PC is set up to display lists in most windows with the exception of folders containing jpg file (photos)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: dragon, Mega Voice

Offline Bob88

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:16:48 AM »
   I am one of many who has preordered a Genos, taking the risk of not having one to test beforehand.  My concern is being able to see the screen which is placed in a flat position on the Genos.  Granted ,the T5 screen was not touch capable but it DID lock in an upright position  at various angles which was great for visiblility.  My 2 cents worth. Bob

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 01:04:15 AM »
Organaut, the trick to eliminating dead time between songs is actually very easy - it's just a matter of organization and planning. Many years ago, my dead time between songs was horrible, often as much as 30 seconds while I scrambled to find the right page in my loose leaf binder filled to capacity with lyrics sheets. Despite the fact that I had tabbed the pages in alphabetical order, it still took forever.

About 20 years ago, I traveled around the mid Atlantic region of the US to see how the other One Man Band (OMB) entertainers coped with this. Most chatted with the audience while they pressed the appropriate buttons on the keyboard, then went into the song. Their dead time was still horrendous. I ran into a few, however, that had no dead time at all between. They could actually transition into the next song while the current song was ending. WOW! I was excited.

First and foremost, I perform nearly 3,800 songs, therefore, it's pretty rare that someone might request a song that I do not know. However, when they do, I merely told them to write the name of the song on one of my business cards, and I would learn it before I returned the next time, and I always did.

Obviously, I cannot remember all the words to all 3,800 songs I perform, therefore, I copied the lyrics off the internet, then saved them into my netbook PC in Microsoft Word, all in a single folder. This automatically puts them in alphabetical order, which makes them very easy to access and recall.

Next, I created my own, personal Music Finder Directory, one that contains about 800 songs, songs that are frequently requested and usually please the dancing crowd. This took a couple weeks, but in the end, it was well worth the time.

My registrations are categorized, and I have about 400 songs in registrations, but ironically, I rarely use registrations - just the MFD.

Now, the beauty of this is that you can scroll through the registrations or MFD while performing a song, stop at the song you wish to play next, but as long as you do not press the enter button, you can continue the song you are currently performing uninterrupted.

Upon ending the song you are currently performing, merely press the Enter button and the song you stopped at on the MFD or registration will instantly kick in. It's that easy.

The attached video link will give you an idea of how this can be put into play and be quite effective. In the video I used both the MFD and registrations. The lyrics were mainly in head, but if necessary, I could have instantly called them up on my netbook pc which sits atop my custom made music console that I designed and constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMQDzrS3658

The photo of my rig and I was taken at an outdoor marina party back when I was using the PSR-3000 and Bose L1 Compact PA system. If I loved closer to you, I would be more than happy to show you how this works in person.

Hope this helps,

Gary :cool:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: dixie, pjd

Offline dixie

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 01:46:20 AM »
Thanks Gary,
What a great lesson on the MFD.   Will go and set mine up now and hope to pass on
to other members of our group.
Dixie
Roanna

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 04:29:40 AM »
Glad I could be of help, Dixie.

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 05:18:24 AM »
Only a major issue if you're using it in a live performance,
Regards,

David
Could not this issue be solved with registrations prepared in advance for live performance . . . . ?  I imagine that if you play the registrations, you would not even need to touch the screen while playing live . . . .

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

DavidB

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »
David
Could not this issue be solved with registrations prepared in advance for live performance . . . . ?  I imagine that if you play the registrations, you would not even need to touch the screen while playing live . . . .

thanks

Absolutely it could be. I don't do 'live' performances so it's never really affected me but as I know some people perform with their Tyros and will be switching to a Genos, it's just something to look out for.

Regards,

organaut

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
Thank you Gary, What you describes sounds very practical. I wish I had spoke with you when I first started using the Tyros but I will definately organise myself better using your ideas but with the playlist feature of the Genos. 
I am must faster on the Tyros transitioning to the next song than I used to be because I have got so used to where my registrations are now. But at first it was horrible and I was always trying different methods of ordering and naming the banks. In the end I found that 1 bank for Latin, another for big band, another for requests etc. was the easiest way for me.
I know I’m wandering of the topic of the screen here and hijacking the thread but it would be great if they’ve been a bit more inventive with the OTS this time in the Genos. I found some of the Tyros ones really bland such as just piano or dry harmonica.Like whoever chose them at the factory wasn’t very enthusiastic about been given that job. Either that or they were filled with Doos and Daas. Almost as if they really don’t want you to sound professional. ;)  If they’re all as good as that Bossa Rio demo that will be great.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:05:36 AM by organaut »

CalUKGR

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »

TBH, the touch screen on my old Korg Triton Studio was pretty small, but somehow I managed. If anything the bigger screen on the Genos should be far easier to navigate.

Bachus

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 11:08:48 AM »
@Bachus
@david
I touched it ... and in MY Opinion the important thing is the size, so with a thick thumb it work :-)

I also used the touch on the CVP Series, but there the display ist to small for a thick thumb.

greetings frank

Yes its a good thing that you like the screen, and the fact that icons are big

Just a question tough, did you also try to use the items on the bottom bar, because thise are the one that woorie me, with the drop down of the screen

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
Hi Bachus,
I tested and played checked serveral Menus and for ME it works good.
"But" I am a Touch and iPad User ...

I think for people NOT using a device like that had to learn that also...

(as I learned writing grafity on my PALM hundred years ago..)
greetings frank

Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline voodoo

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 02:04:28 PM »

This was a problem on the PA900.  There the bottom row touch buttons could be reached very badly. Hope it works better on Genos.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »
Bachus, I would think that for an experienced, professional entertainer/musician, the buttons at the bottom will never be a problem. The same is true for home players, whom do not have to access them on the fly.

Pro musician/entertainers, for the most part, would rarely use those onscreen features because they would be working mainly from registrations and the playlist, Home players, have all the time in the world to access those touchscreen buttons, so where's the problem? I really don't envision a problem.

Now, I noticed that you have made a lot of posts about this particular arranger keyboard - does this mean you are considering, or may be purchasing a Yamaha Genos when they become available in your area? I would really enjoy your input from a hands on perspective.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »
...  Home players, have all the time in the world to access those touchscreen buttons, so where's the problem? I really don't envision a problem...

All the best,

Gary 8)

Hi Gary,

I understand your point of view, and for me ultimately, the goal is to build an arrangement in a registration bank.  But not everyone uses the keyboard the same.  As a "home player" I do a LOT of real-time adjustments to style Parts On/Off and Multi Pads on the fly. It is necessary to work out the arrangement this way by playing a live performance before building the registrations.

I think Yamaha got the layout of buttons and screen displays just about perfect on the S970.  I'm a firm believer in... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:21:27 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »

I think Yamaha got the layout of buttons and screen displays just about perfect on the S970.  I'm a firm believer in... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Regards,
Joe H

I agree, Joe, but I also think the newer generation is so accustomed to everything on a small touch screen that if Yamaha had not went that route that they would have lost some customers. The combination of buttons and touch screen may answer both scenarios.

All the best,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »
... The combination of buttons and touch screen may answer both scenarios.

All the best,

Gary  8)

Yes that's what they did with the Montage.  Then we would have the option of touch screen or buttons.  We don't all work the same way.  It's not the best design to lock users into a workflow that everyone must follow and have only one approach to doing certain things.

Joe H

Bachus

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:53 PM »
Bachus, I would think that for an experienced, professional entertainer/musician, the buttons at the bottom will never be a problem. The same is true for home players, whom do not have to access them on the fly.

Pro musician/entertainers, for the most part, would rarely use those onscreen features because they would be working mainly from registrations and the playlist, Home players, have all the time in the world to access those touchscreen buttons, so where's the problem? I really don't envision a problem.

Now, I noticed that you have made a lot of posts about this particular arranger keyboard - does this mean you are considering, or may be purchasing a Yamaha Genos when they become available in your area? I would really enjoy your input from a hands on perspective.

All the best,

Gary 8)

Its not the physical buttons, its the virtuall buttons on the lower bar... and the fact that the screen seems to be sunken several centimeters deep

Marcus

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
Finger Extensions, issue resolved.  :D

Finger Extenders (not to be confused with a finger extension)

Joking aside, with the natural curving of the human hand the fingers easily extend far below the main part of the hand and can touch the lower part of the screen no problem. I also see no issue with the fixed screen and angle, unlike earlier screens where it was difficult to see at certain angles.

Actually on my Tyros 5, I kept the adjustable screen flat, with no issues seeing it clearly with the high resolution tiff type display screen. Maybe once playing my Tyros outside I had to adjust the screen angle to avoid glare from the afternoon sky.

The biggest plus of the new 9 inch Genos screen is that it is significantly bigger, and maybe with the assignable buttons I can make practical use of the score display.

Marcus

DavidB

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 10:10:28 PM »
with no issues seeing it clearly with the high resolution tiff type display screen.

I wouldn't call 640 x 480 high resolution at all (Tyros 5). In fact in this day and age it's distinctly low res.

I was rather disappointed to read that Genos is only 800 x 480.

Regards,

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:46 PM »
Its not the physical buttons, its the virtuall buttons on the lower bar... and the fact that the screen seems to be sunken several centimeters deep

Does this mean you're actually considering buying an arranger keyboard. If not, why the concern?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Bachus

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 04:19:04 AM »
Does this mean you're actually considering buying an arranger keyboard. If not, why the concern?

Fred

Offcourse i am comsidering buying an arranger keyboard.. i have owned an arranger for atleast a decade now.. currently a pa4x, and before that the tyros 5 and a few others.

My current setup is 88 key kronos, and the pa4x on top of that.. in the end, i would love to get a single 88 keyboard that can do it all and is semi/mobile...

If i wasnt seriously considering the Genos, why worry?

There is much to be loved about the Genos, there is also much to be loved about the pa4x.

There is also the fact that Yamaha could have done a better job at supporting the not so typical arranger player with this keyboard. There is a reason that on the official Yamaha synth website the CP piano’s are accepted as a synth and the Genos is not.

My main wishes for the Genos are actually quite simple
- DAW imtegration, so you can use the daw tools to easilly edit midi and audio in the Genos, but also use the daw as a vst soundsource and controll it from the Genos...
- onboard sound edditing, making it easy to edit and create sounds...
- make the arp feature a pro feature and not the toy from the psr-e series...

If you name something a workstation, then it definately should be a workstation, is that to much to ask for?  And the above can all be done trough simple software updates.
-
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:34:23 AM by Bachus »

The following users thanked this post: jerryghr

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 06:09:06 AM »
Hi Bachus,

Up to now Yamaha never updated the Tyros. Upgrades only.
See Tyros 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Why should they change their " tradition " for the Genos ?

IMO you have to wait for the Genos2 or Genos3 to make your wishes come true. 😧

Jeff

Bachus

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:11 AM »
Hi Bachus,

Up to now Yamaha never updated the Tyros. Upgrades only.
See Tyros 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Why should they change their " tradition " for the Genos ?

IMO you have to wait for the Genos2 or Genos3 to make your wishes come true. 😧

Jeff

Up till now they also never changed the tyros name..

The new technollogy might be much more suited for content updates, as was proven in the montage based on the same hardware as the genos. With the Motif range we didnt see large upgrades eiher, but with the montage we do

If yamaha intends to give their platforms a longer life span of up to 5 years, having major feature updates is the way to give an allready excisting instrument a boost in sales.

So never having any feature updates with Tyros adsolutely dies not mean we will not see them with Genos. This is one of the questions i will ask peter Baartmans at the deno.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:33 AM »
Changing ( or adding ) a new brand name might have complete other ( marketing ) reasons than we may think or guess.

In my small knowledge Yamaha's Synth Department is a different division in their organistation, am I right or wrong ? I really do not know.

Maybe both divisions ( Synths & Arrangers ) are sharing technical information but probably no Sales, Marketing and Distribution decisions.
May I say those two instrument groups have different customers and maybe different distribution channels ?
Sorry, again ... I really do not know.  ??? 

Our dealers, Frank & Frank, could, if they are allowed to speak, tell us if Yamaha's Synth and Arranger divisions are working indepently, separately or togehter.

BTW I am almost sure Peter Baartmans cannot give you the answer.
Due to the NDA he is not allowed to talk about any, what they call, trade secrets.
He will simply tell you he does not know.

IMHO.

Personally, I absolutely support your update wish. Plse do not misunderstand me. ;)

I deeply regret I have to call it " wishful thinking " until Yamaha will officially announce Genos updates might be expected in the near future. 
And ... if Yamaha should decide to update will these update be free of charge like Korg's ?

The answer is blowing in the wind.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:45:16 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Bachus

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
Changing ( or adding ) a new brand name might have complete other ( marketing ) reasons than we may think or guess.

In my small knowledge Yamaha's Synth Department is a different division in their organistation, am I right or wrong ? I really do not know.

Maybe both divisions ( Synths & Arrangers ) are sharing technical information but probably no Sales, Marketing and Distribution decisions.
May I say those two instrument groups have different customers and maybe different distribution channels ?
Sorry, again ... I really do not know.  ??? 

Our dealers, Frank & Frank, could, if they are allowed to speak, tell us if Yamaha's Synth and Arranger divisions are working indepently, separately or togehter.

BTW I am almost sure Peter Baartmans cannot give you the answer.
Due to the NDA he is not allowed to talk about any, what they call, trade secrets.
He will simply tell you he does not know.

IMHO.

Personally, I absolutely support your update wish. Plse do not misunderstand me. ;)

I deeply regret I have to call it " wishful thinking " until Yamaha will officially announce Genos updates might be expected in the near future. 
And ... if Yamaha should decide to update will these update be free of charge like Korg's ?

The answer is blowing in the wind.

Jeff

There is one way to make Yamaha indertand that they can keep the userbase happy with free frature and content updates...  and thats trough explicitly asking about it on these forums, till they understand its something the customer base would really appreciate

Offline Will49

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
One of the reasons that manufacturers usually do not use tilt screen displays for touch screens is that the screen tends to move when you press to select an item near the top of the screen. And, the same players that destroy button switches will likely be pressing the touch screens too hard as well. ;)

Hello Gary, This got me wondering if anyone (especially those of the more 'heavy-handed' sort of player) have reported any problems with the Korg Pa4X - which also has a tilt/touch screen?

Regards,
Will49

rimek72

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
Let me reffer to possible reason for changing the name from TYROS to GENOS.
It was discussed in that threat

my personal votes for firmware update is of course free of charge, but let see on the problem from different angle and compare it to the SW company.
The SW delivery is like this
  • free of charge - for specific period of support, (for example when You will bay a latest version that is supported for specific time), or
  • each upgrade to the newest versions has a special discount price, (upgrade from very old version costs more)

If we will consider Genos as solid HW platform than adding of new features, improve performance could be done via SW updates. It requires changing of marketing philosophy and moving Yamaha arrangers from almost pure HW delivery model (only critical firmware corrections released), into more SW application model. In this model HW platform is not limitation anymore. Yamaha's R&D creativity (or even external to Yamaha developers if there will be open SW platform) is the limit in that model.
It is my dream, but Genos could be not only better HW platform and improvement sounds, it could be Yamaha attempt to move into SW oriented application world. Than it would be a real game changer 😊
In this is dream, user has a lot of freedom in customization by loading needed plugins into great HW platform. This model could be very attractive to producers and Young people as all concerns for specific content could be fixed quickly by using needed plugin (I believe they would be not free of charge).
The name change, Tyros to GENOS would be needed for a changing the game rules, which by the way could open a wide a new market for instrument that is capable to achieve it :)
I know my way of thinking would be very naive or fantasy knowing Yamaha, no doubts, but as person working with SW for more than 20 years, I know it is possible.

I'm ready for that model and even expects something like described above if we are talking about real game changer.

agoldstraw

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
I think the reason for the name change is a great deal simpler – brands become 'old' and need revisiting from time to time to keep interest high among potential purchasers. You saw this with Motif – by last year, we had had the original Motif, Motif ES, Motif XS and finally Motif XF. There comes a time in the naming patterns when the public goes: 'Yeah, yeah, Motif yada yada yada...' So there's a radical redesign of control panel and interface, and in comes Montage. The same process is happening now with Genos. It also gives Yamaha a chance to connect with a younger audience who already think they know what a Tyros is and have written it off in their head as 'uncool, cheesy etc'. I wouldn't be surprised if the Clavinova name might be next for the 'treatment' – but don't quote me on that!

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
For me it is not so clear yet why Yamaha have changed the brand name.

Like other members were saying here I agree the present Genos is a nice upgraded Tyros5 and could easily be called TYROS6.

It is hard to believe for me the Genos will come with free updates in the future.

In my humble opinion we may expect successors like Genos2, 3, 4 etc. and call them :

" Upgrades ", just like before.

Jeff

Offline EileenL

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
Hi Jeff if you have read the specs Genos is totally new and can't really be compared with a Tyros. It is GENOS.
  Not an upgrade in any way.

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »
Hi Jeff if you have read the specs Genos is totally new and can't really be compared with a Tyros. It is GENOS.
  Not an upgrade in any way.

Eileen, i dont think just reading the specs makes this all so clear.
But if you look at the grand new interface with touchscreen and knobs
All the new software
Many of the disappeared buttons

And add to that yamaha's intentions to make this a tool for creativity and song writing
Moving even more towards the workstation side

Then its clear why there is a new name.
The instrument has changed more then ever before
And whats better then a new name to make this statement

The same happened when they moved from the workstation Motif
To the performance synth Montage

Now they are moving from the arranger Tyros 5
To the music workstation Genos

everyone just needs to try and see what Yamaha is trying to achieve.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »

Some people will disagree others will agree.
Everybody has his own opinion, I guess. :D

Jeff

Offline pjd

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 05:18:31 PM »
It is GENOS.  Not an upgrade in any way.

Most folks cite the new user interface, sounds and effects. That's what they hear and see.

From a hardware guy's perspective, the digital hardware is definitely all new including the synthesis and DSP effects engines. Genos is going to be the TOTL arranger workstation platform for many years to come.

I agree with Eileen. A new name is justified based on substance, not just marketing fluff.

All the best -- pj

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
Hi Paul,

If you say so ... who am I to doubt your words ? 😉

That means the Genos should be a real workstation that apparently will make all people happy who are looking for deep editing etc.

I have no further questions and will patiently wait for all comments of the endusers as soon as the new Genos is in the hands of its new owners.

Take care, Jeff

Offline soryt

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »
Do the drawbars move when you touch the screen like on the Pa4x ore only with the sliders ?
And can you make some adjustments on the screen ore only with the buttons ??
If so, it isnt a "full touch" display interface ?

Soryt  8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 10:41:46 PM »
Will, I only know a few individuals with a PA4X and it is likely too new at this point to have those kind of problems, which I believe would be due to prolonged extreme use.

Soryt, from the way it appears, the drawbar sliders are the mechanical sliders on the left side of the display, but they also appear on the display itself, but I do not believe it is functional on the touch screen. Therefore, I would consider this as a combination type of thing. Don't know for sure, though, until I get my hands on one.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Will49

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »
Will, I only know a few individuals with a PA4X and it is likely too new at this point to have those kind of problems, which I believe would be due to prolonged extreme use.

Thanks for that Gary.

Will49

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »
Hello Gary, This got me wondering if anyone (especially those of the more 'heavy-handed' sort of player) have reported any problems with the Korg Pa4X - which also has a tilt/touch screen?

Regards,
Will49

I have a Pa4x since March 2016, I play it daily either in the studio or on gigs I have not had any issues with the adjustable touch screen.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline StuartR

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2017, 10:06:26 PM »

Soryt, from the way it appears, the drawbar sliders are the mechanical sliders on the left side of the display, but they also appear on the display itself, but I do not believe it is functional on the touch screen. Therefore, I would consider this as a combination type of thing. Don't know for sure, though, until I get my hands on one.

All the best,

Gary 8)
They are adjustable on the screen as well. I saw it on one of the demo videos.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2017, 01:05:17 AM »
Great news, Stuart. I was pretty sure that this could be done, but I've been doing too much sailing lately to sit down and go through the manual page by page. And, as most people know, it's much easier to sit down with the manual and have the keyboard right in front of you. Unfortunately, that will not likely happen unless the boat is sold sometime before Christmas, which is unlikely. If the boat is not sold, I guess I will have to spend more time sailing and drinking Margarettas. ;)

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Audrey Turner

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:20 AM »
A few years ago I was playing a keyboard with much the same type of screen the Genos appears to have and I found it horrendous because it didn't move at all.  Some of my venues back then were out in the open or in conservatories which often made it difficult to read the screen in sunshine and not helped by having to take my eyes off the sheet music to  touch the screen, often causing mistakes.  Needless to say, I only had it 3 weeks and changed it for a Technics keyboard - far superior to many other makes - even today in my opinion.  However, I hope to go to a local Dealer's Genos demonstration in the very near future and until I've actually seen and played it I am not in a position to make any worthwhile comments.  I'll keep you posted on this one.

Audrey Turner

Offline EileenL

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
Hi Audrey,
  If you play from registrations you can still change these via foot switch so don't have to touch screen that much if you don't want to.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »

You are right, touching the right spot and getting a result in the lowest row is a problem especially now when its dry inside due to the cold outside. I keep a damp face cleaning pad (my wife uses those) next to the screen and touch the pad before going to the screen.  That has solved the problem. But as pointed out here,  in a performance contrary to programming one does not use the lowest row very often.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »
You are right, touching the right spot and getting a result in the lowest row is a problem especially now when its dry inside due to the cold outside. I keep a damp face cleaning pad (my wife uses those) next to the screen and touch the pad before going to the screen.  That has solved the problem. But as pointed out here,  in a performance contrary to programming one does not use the lowest row very often.

I haven't had that problem at all with inside humidity levels in the 20-30% range. If your humidity is lower, getting a touch screen response is probably the least of your worries.😲