Author Topic: Drums Setup for GENOS.  (Read 19303 times)

Drums Setup for GENOS.
« on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:28 AM »
On the S970 there is a great feature that Tyros 5 does not have. It is DRUMS SETUP, It is located in the BASIC section when you go to Style Creator.
Once upon a time I was going to sell the S970 Tyros 5 because of the love of this convenient feature.
A few days ago I tried to view all of the GENOS Video Clips for this feature, but it looks like Yamaha did not include it in GENOS.
  If the truth is so sad it loses 50% of my potential to upgrade from Tyros 5 to Genos.
Anyone who already owns GENOS, please check and let me know if Genos owns this feature.
Special thanks.

Update:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:00:41 PM by Snicker740 »
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Re: Drums Setup for GENOS.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »
What is "Drums setup" for ?

With "SFF edit" option, it seems we could do a lot of things on style !!! ....

The following users thanked this post: Snicker740

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
Hi Sneeker, I have seen a display when I was at a genos with simple editing of drum set.

Pls. wait for the documentation, but I think not less than 970 features .... so MORE features.

greetings frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

The following users thanked this post: Snicker740

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 09:54:45 AM »

Until now, we do not know anything about the SFF Edit feature on GENOS. However DRUMS EDIT can be considered a great feature on the S970, I think it is more convenient and useful than the Tyros 5 Custom Drum when it has to do this on YEM and reopen the initial installation of the open package. wide whenever you want a small modification. It's too time consuming.
Genos + Motif XS7

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
In the demo of Martin Harris he shows a style with a mixed drum kit from several drum kits. I thought this is the drum setup from the s970.

So the s970 was where they introduced new features as a further development from the T5:

* assignable knobs
* drum setup
* DSP parameter savable to registration

I think they will survive in Genos.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Enildo

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »
On the S970 there is a great feature that Tyros 5 does not have. It is DRUMS SETUP, It is located in the BASIC section when you go to Style Creator.
Once upon a time I was going to sell the S970 Tyros 5 because of the love of this convenient feature.
A few days ago I tried to view all of the GENOS Video Clips for this feature, but it looks like Yamaha did not include it in GENOS.
  If the truth is so sad it loses 50% of my potential to upgrade from Tyros 5 to Genos.
Anyone who already owns GENOS, please check and let me know if Genos owns this feature.
Special thanks.

I think by selecting the "REC CHANNEL", this function will be there.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »
Have to say listening to the demos this evening in my studio I think the drum kit are better than my PA4X....flippin' eck am i bending...but joking aside they realy do stand out very nice indeed ...some nice work has taken place there  :)
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline chony

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
The Tyros 5 doesn't have "Drum Setup" either. What exactly does it do?

(No, Rec Ch, is something else)

Offline a048352

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
Genos has the drum setup!

The following users thanked this post: fzk6388

Offline fzk6388

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 03:10:17 AM »
That is great! Thank you!

Marcus

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 03:52:33 AM »
The Tyros 5 doesn't have "Drum Setup" either. What exactly does it do?

(No, Rec Ch, is something else)
It must of been added to the S970, because it came out a couple of years after the Tyros 5. So I would think this feature would at least be carried over to the Genos, but improved upon. There was a demo video already with drum kits being modified and edited right on the Genos itself, plus a more powerful YEM for deeper editing and Voice/Drumkit Creation was developed for the Genos. Some editing and stuff is easier via the YEM and computer/app software anyway.

Marcus

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
In the end, I have satisfied my wish. Not only that, Drums Edit Setup on GENOS has a lot of features

Genos + Motif XS7

Offline Enildo

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »
In the end, I have satisfied my wish. Not only that, Drums Edit Setup on GENOS has a lot of features

There is nothing new! Just layout.
These refusals already exist in s970, in the number "8" / Detail. There is even a lack of controls such as "Rec note ON", "Pitch coarse" and "Pitch Fine".

Enildo

DavidB

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
There is nothing new! Just layout.
These refusals already exist in s970, in the number "8" / Detail. There is even a lack of controls such as "Rec note ON", "Pitch coarse" and "Pitch Fine".

Enildo

I assume that Rec note on is the reverse of Rcv Note Off... so that exists.

I expect pitch coarse and fine are covered by the variable pitch.

Regards,

Offline Enildo

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
I assume that Rec note on is the reverse of Rcv Note Off... so that exists.

I expect pitch coarse and fine are covered by the variable pitch.

Regards,

Rec Note On and Rec note OFF are independent controls.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:00:44 PM by Enildo »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »

I added the other image above.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 04:04:44 PM »

I do not know what the "Rec Note OFF" control is for. Can someone give a light?

Enildo

Offline voodoo

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »
I do not know what the "Rec Note OFF" control is for. Can someone give a light?

Enildo

"receive note off" means, that the sound is canceled when the played note ends. Normally the sample is played until the end.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Enildo

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
"receive note off" means, that the sound is canceled when the played note ends. Normally the sample is played until the end.

Thank you Uli!
I tested it here and it really is! ;)
So I ask, "Has Genos taken the" Rec note On "control?
This control in s970 leaves some keys mute.

Enildo

Offline Enildo

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 06:51:26 PM »
If they have taken the control "Rec note On", for me it is a setback.
When I am using Drum setup, sometimes it is necessary to mutate some drum parts to hear better what is going to be changed,
as well as other times, I just let a part of the drum change without deleting it, because if I later decided I could activate the part again.

enildo

Offline voodoo

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 06:30:30 AM »
Thank you Uli!
I tested it here and it really is! ;)
So I ask, "Has Genos taken the" Rec note On "control?
This control in s970 leaves some keys mute.

Enildo

You could pull down the volume slider. ;)
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline valimaties

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
For Enildo (initialy I wrote Voodoo)... recieve note off is used to elements like cymbals... when even if you put the control, if the element does not read control, it does not play it. Rcv note on and recive note off, both on "off" means mute (i think, I'm not shure).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:32:48 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Enildo

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »
OK, Thanks Uli and Valimaties!

You could pull down the volume slider. . It's true but was very easy turn off in the "Rec note on".

Regards,
Enildo

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 02:18:52 PM »
Regarding the 'Rcv Note Off' setting.

Voodoo is correct about what it does, however I think that it is really intended for use with any 'looped' notes (such as a Snare Roll or Whistles) which continue to play as long as the key is held down.  If 'Rcv Note Off' is not set, then once such notes are triggered, they will never stop playing!  ???

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:21:00 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 02:31:18 PM »
Regarding the 'Rcv Note Off' setting.

Voodoo is correct about what it does, however I think that it is really intended for use with any 'looped' notes (such as a Snare Roll or Whistles) which continue to play as long as the key is held down.  If 'Rcv Note Off' is not set, then once such notes are triggered, they will never stop playing!  ???

Regards

Ian

It's true. I tested here.
What I did not like was that yamaha has taken the "REC NOTE ON" control, it is used to mute keys that you do not want to hear, for a certain moment or definitively.

Enildo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline valimaties

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »

SFF Edit does not include Drum Setup.
Drum Setup will let you change elements of Drum Kit. You can change snare from one drum kit with another snare from another drum kit, same with kicks etc... Also you can edit the element by some parameters: cut off, resonance, pitch, etc.

Look here:

And sincerely, in SFF edit you cannot do "a lot" of things... seems Style Creator does not have activated the other 8 channels that are hidden (like Tyros's Style Creator) . I don't know why they don't add CASM editor in Style Creator and bring all the 16 channels for recording and editing?!   I remember I was reading about this thing in an article on Yamaha news site ("Miles of Styles and Robust Recording tag"). Seems was not implemented (or not yet :( )
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:01:02 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »
And sincerely, in SFF edit you cannot do "a lot" of things... seems Style Creator does not have activated the other 8 channels that are hidden (like Tyros's Style Creator) . I don't know why they don't add CASM editor in Style Creator and bring all the 16 channels for recording and editing?! 

Hi --

Totally agree. I don't want to hijack the thread, but there is a mess of stuff in SFF2 which cannot be edited in the current Genos Style Creator. Here, I'm thinking about the "Chords allowed" condition which controls and enables each channel. A user needs this condition in order write Yamaha-like styles in which the lower eight channels respond to different chord types than the upper eight channels.

Good point, thanks -- pj

KetPa4

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
I Have seen the window posted below on drum set up I found this last night but all I wanted to do was bring down the volume on the cymbals and hi hats as they wee too loud on variation 4 but failed to make that adjustment this was very frustrating as with Korg and Ketron it is no problem to do this
Is there a way of simply adjusting the volume on the different parts of the drum kit

best regards
Pat in Ireland

Offline valimaties

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 07:15:48 AM »
I Have seen the window posted below on drum set up I found this last night but all I wanted to do was bring down the volume on the cymbals and hi hats as they wee too loud on variation 4 but failed to make that adjustment this was very frustrating as with Korg and Ketron it is no problem to do this
Is there a way of simply adjusting the volume on the different parts of the drum kit

best regards
Pat in Ireland

If this behavior happens to you, please make a video, post it here and send it to Yamaha too...
To me, was a lot of things that happened, like Registration Bank navigation (plus, minus) does not work (stuck), DSP reseting on registration memory, and so on...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 05:41:50 PM »
I am glad to see that a Yamaha provided an update with the content:-You can now select the Drum Kit of the "Expansion" folder on the Drum Setup window of the Style Creator.
But the joy was only a few minutes when I realized that it only allowed the selection of drum sets from Yamaha's extended package that sold yamaha music soft. It still does not see the drum kit in the user-created expansion pack. An overwhelming disappointment.
Genos + Motif XS7

Offline voodoo

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 06:53:53 PM »
I am surprised, that there is no regular voice selection dialog. Only switching through available drum kits by +/- or data dial. Some kind of limited.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline valimaties

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 02:03:58 AM »
I am glad to see that a Yamaha provided an update with the content:-You can now select the Drum Kit of the "Expansion" folder on the Drum Setup window of the Style Creator.
But the joy was only a few minutes when I realized that it only allowed the selection of drum sets from Yamaha's extended package that sold yamaha music soft. It still does not see the drum kit in the user-created expansion pack. An overwhelming disappointment.

I don't think is true. I checked out, and I see also the expansion drum kits made by me ;)
Also, they came with a message when you want to use Drum Setup feature and you have more than one drum kit on your style. It is a message that suggest you to change the style drum on all style parts. That is a good approach, I thing. White ball for Yamaha!

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:08:55 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline voodoo

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 03:00:06 AM »
I don't think is true. I checked out, and I see also the expansion drum kits made by me ;)
Also, they came with a message when you want to use Drum Setup feature and you have more than one drum kit on your style. It is a message that suggest you to change the style drum on all style parts. That is a good approach, I thing. White ball for Yamaha!

Regards,
Vali

Hey Vali,

thanks for this report. Seems we have to find out, under which conditions our own drum voices are shown here. But it’s great, that it works.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D