Author Topic: Arpeggiators on Genos and S970 Arranger keyboards  (Read 48169 times)

Offline voodoo

Re: The Addition of Arpeggiators on Genos and Arranger keyboards
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
I'm concerned about no dedicated buttons to solo style parts or for turning style parts on/off.   I'll have to wait for the manual to see how this is done from the touch screen.  Not a good design for the arranger.  Dedicated buttons are necessary for any number of reasons while editing styles or auditioning Multi Pads to play along with the style.  Now that Yamaha is taking a "use Multi Pads to enhance style" approach, Part On/Off buttons become even more important for the average person.  I've been using this approach for 5 years and can say just how important this feature is.

Joe H

The slider and button design of the montage is perfect. For the price of the Genos they could have taken that.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
I didn't hear him mention it.  But as I stated in another thread or this one... the MX keyboard @ $500.00 USD has 999 arps and 2 live arpeggiators.   So I think Genos buyers are ripped off.  The Motif XF has far more capability for far less money... not to mention the enormous support Yamaha has offered over the last 15 years with Motif-Cubase Integration, serious software editors, documentation, blogs and forums.

Joe H

Unfortunately the Genos is aimed at another type of customer: more sit and play instead of creating sound themselves. :(
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »
Uli,

I must clarify that I am a fan of XG.  Yamaha sound designers have set the Voice Envelopes in such a way that the Part Parameter Offsets... Attack, Decay, Release controllers do a fairly good job.  The advantage of this is real-time changes in both Filter and Amplitude Envelopes.

But I will also say that there are times when I would like to go deeper editing at the Element level.  At least we can do that with custom Voices in YEM.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »
Make your own arps and stick them on a pad
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Joe H

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »
Make your own arps and stick them on a pad

There are many arps that would be very difficult to make if not impossible without a live arpeggiator.  That's simply a fact. The arps that I am planning to make will have multiple real-time controllers as well as note data.  An important element of EDM is fluid and animated loops and pads, that include Filter and Pan sweeps and side chaining 

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:28:13 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 03:39:24 AM »
This one's for Bachus... and anyone who likes Trance music.  there is 10 minutes worth so don't stop at the first demo, there is a lot more to be heard.

"It's not what you got but how you use it"  or sometimes... "Less is more"

One Guy, One Synth, One Arpeggiator (Yamaha S90 ES) | JayB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCwXyVF0p3U

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:59:23 AM by Joe H »

jazz.preest

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2017, 03:50:33 AM »
I'm concerned about no dedicated buttons to solo style parts or for turning style parts on/off.   I'll have to wait for the manual to see how this is done from the touch screen.  Not a good design for the arranger.  Dedicated buttons are necessary for any number of reasons while editing styles or auditioning Multi Pads to play along with the style.  Now that Yamaha is taking a "use Multi Pads to enhance style" approach, Part On/Off buttons become even more important for the average person.  I've been using this approach for 5 years and can say just how important this feature is.

Joe H

Don't understand this comment...in the Genos brochure, the dedicated Part On/Off buttons are indicated on the Genos (section 25).  Seems just like on my Tyros 5;  what am I missing here?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2017, 03:52:54 AM »
Mike,

I think you are referring to Parts R1, R2, R3 and Left

I was talking about the 8 style parts... those 8 buttons (x2) below your Tyros screen.

Joe H

jazz.preest

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2017, 04:09:06 AM »
Mike,

I think you are referring to Parts R1, R2, R3 and Left

I was talking about the 8 style parts... those 8 buttons (x2) below your Tyros screen.

Joe H

Ah.  Doh.  Thanks, Joe - blanked on the "style parts on/off" in your comment.

Right;  looks like Genos is focusing the artist's attention on registrations as a primary tool in conjunction with the touch screen.  Won't be surprised to see the style parts on/off functionality in the touch screens.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:12:05 AM by Mike Lowell »

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2017, 05:34:49 AM »
Joe you probably misread my comment about the 2 rows of 8 buttons to the right.. they would pretty much work like the 4 rows of buttons on the montage... somif you want dedicated buttons for style part on off, you would have them... want to use them for something else.. you could do that..

With another of those nice small screens above them to give you information

This would not only add all the functionality you want, but also give the design of the Genos a much more ballanced look between left and right side..

By the way, saw you posted a video for me, i am in kind of a hurry, but will watch later today when i get home...

I think having the 4 rows of buttons the Montage has would be perfect to suit Joe and everyone else.
I think that part of the Montage design is genius.

In the end, having the montage design, with all the Arranger buttons beneath it and the just a little bit bigger screen would be perfect.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2017, 05:58:37 AM »
Joe you probably misread my comment about the 2 rows of 8 buttons to the right.. they would pretty much work like the 4 rows of buttons on the montage... somif you want dedicated buttons for style part on off, you would have them... want to use them for something else.. you could do that..

With another of those nice small screens above them to give you information

This would not only add all the functionality you want, but also give the design of the Genos a much more ballanced look between left and right side..

By the way, saw you posted a video for me, i am in kind of a hurry, but will watch later today when i get home...

I guess you are talking about hypothetical buttons that could or should be on the Genos... it that right?

The Genos has 6 buttons for direct access to somethings and 6 assignable buttons on the right side.

Joe H

Offline EileenL

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »
Looking at the Demo's style parts are controlled by the sliders. You can turn them on or off very quickly.

Offline pjd

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »
So how are we going to convince Yamaha we want to be able to load custom and user created arps?

The Montage did not have the ability to create user ARPS when it first shipped. Yamaha did listen to the hue and cry on the synth forum and eventually added this functionality.

Time to organize, mates!

-- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
The Montage did not have the ability to create user ARPS when it first shipped. Yamaha did listen to the hue and cry on the synth forum and eventually added this functionality.

Time to organize, mates!

-- pj

We know it's possible for Yamaha to do firmware updates for the Genos just as they have with the Montage.  So they could add a second arpeggiator, more arps, add an Arp Editor to create your own and the ability to load User Arps.

As I noted before that the $500.00 USD MX49  keyboard has 2 live arpeggiators and 999 arps on-board.

But... will they listen is the question. We are all waiting on the manuals to see just how "programmable" those knobs and faders really are.  They should support writing and sending ANY MIDI message and be able set minimum and maximum values.

I don't know about the MOX but the Motif Rack XS has encoders that are also buttons.  There are 5 knobs programmed for 20 different parameters adjustable real-time.

You press the knob to see the current value of the parameter.  when you change the value it is seamless and smooth (no jumps).  The original parameter value and current value can be seen on the display any time you press the knob or turn it. So it's possible to always go back to the original setting if you want.

With my PC1600x I can map a foot pedal to control Arp Gate Time, Attack, Decay, release, Filter Cut-off and Resonance at the same time, with minimum and maximum values set for each.  What this does is allow me to create a nuance not possible on the Motif keyboard except by using the same kind of PC1600x algorithm.

Let's hope the Genos allows the player to assign Arp Gate Time to a foot pedal. Just that single parameter can go a long way in creating real-time variations to a live arpeggiator.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:33:37 PM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »
But everyone who wants user arps and a creative tool to create them raise your hands

Count me in!

:)

Joe H

Offline pjd

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2017, 05:41:59 PM »
Organising is hard when there are so many things on everyones wishlist... and every wishlist is different...

But everyone who wants user arps and a creative tool to create them raise your hands

Exactly. Count me in for user arps.

Now that I've said that, I'd like to amplify your point (and whine).  ;) Let's focus, folks. One issue -- user-defined arps. Let's get that much even if Yamaha dictates how they are implemented.

Thanks -- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
I have 150 arps on my PSR-E433.  Of course, it doesn't have the ability to upload new arps.  I haven't used them much, but I did use one in a part of a song that I wrote and recorded.  I have included a small clip where the arp is playing in the background.  Toward the end of the clip, I turn up the envelope generator's release to allow the notes to gradually blend together.  Except for the drums, I manually played all of the other parts (piano, bass, etc.) as part of a multi-track recording.

https://app.box.com/s/45nowisjr1hu1io5kd9d53yk1ujz91zb
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

CalUKGR

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »

So if we want to make demands ... or aks nicely for improvement of the arp feature..
What should we shoot for with the current physical state of the Genos..
As its obvious that yamaha can not change the hardware...

Should we stick to this topic, or create a topic specifically for our wishes..

How should Yamaha change the arp feature to make it more usefull?
Here is my opinion...

1) add more arps then the current number of 210
2) open up the system so you can load user created arps from other yamaha instruments
3) add an option to create your own arps
4) make it so we can assign a user arp to each of the 4 panel voices. This should happen trough a specific window on the screen that opens when you hold the arp button for a bit longer.
5) add options for comtroling the arps trough the live controlls, pedals and assignable buttons.

Changing this. Would for me be a reason to upgrade from the pa4x to the Genos. Because when done this way, there is truely a reason to change from Pa4x to the Genos.

5)

Bachus, I absolutely agree it would be really great if there was a way to add in more arps - perhaps, say, from third parties - and then use them across the Genos' Styles as we wished. Think of the creative possibilities that would be opened up. Perhaps some kind of firmware update? I really hope so.

Offline pjd

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
Thats what we are aiming for, a firmware update..
What we need first is the attention of people that have real influence with Yamaha..
We need them to bring this topic to their doorsteps.

True that.

I had this idea last night and would like to offer it for the list. I apologize to anyone who might have suggested this before.

Every PSR/Tyros/Genos style is a potential source for arpeggio MIDI data. The styles, collectively, are one huge library of phrases. Since the keyboards can import new styles, a musician can easily bring their own arpeggios (musical phrases) into the system.

Yamaha needs to add the ability to: a. store user arpeggios, b. copy a musical phrase from a style and convert it to a user arpeggio.

This process is similar to the way Motif and Montage import and create user arpeggios.

Using styles as the phrase database, Yamaha has an instant phrase library and so do we. A copy and convert operation might also be handy for creating Multi Pads, too.

-- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »
Here's a few extra thoughts. I wanted to keep my last message focused.

There's no reason to have Motif-envy. A lot of the Motif arpeggios started life as phrases in style MAIN, FILL-IN, BREAK, INTRO and ENDING sections. Of course, there are also the arpeggios started life in the old Yamaha beat-boxes like the RS7000. That's why I started thinking about the current existing PSR/Tyros/Genos styles as an "instant library."

In Montage-land, Yamaha seems to have orphaned the arpeggios. (Might be overstating this a bit.) When Yamaha moved from the Motif Performance concept to the Montage Performance concept, they lost the 5 (or 6) section mini-style, song starters. These style-like groups of phrases played together, so a quick drum+bass+guitar+whatever backing track could be played in real time into sequencer pattern or song tracks.

You can still play a Montage performance into its performance recorder, but all of those wonderfully composed groups of arps have been lost. Montage users wish and have asked Yamaha to convert them, but Yamaha hasn't take any action. This is what I mean by "orphaned."

Thus, I'm not optimistic about Yamaha converting any of its old content.  :'(

-- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2017, 03:25:47 PM »
keep in mind his does not really work for some of the more advanced but highly usefull arps..
Also there are restrictions, like a max of 16 different notes for an arp.

Hello Bachus --

I'm hoping that the Genos engineers will eliminate this ridiculous note limitation. This "encoding," if you will, always struck me as some kind of hack to reduce storage space.

I guess I'm expanding the discussion, but which advanced arp features did you have in mind? That short list would be good guidance for the Yamaha engineers.

All the best! Gotta run to the gym for a while -- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
True that.

I had this idea last night and would like to offer it for the list. I apologize to anyone who might have suggested this before.

Every PSR/Tyros/Genos style is a potential source for arpeggio MIDI data. The styles, collectively, are one huge library of phrases. Since the keyboards can import new styles, a musician can easily bring their own arpeggios (musical phrases) into the system.

Yamaha needs to add the ability to: a. store user arpeggios, b. copy a musical phrase from a style and convert it to a user arpeggio.

This process is similar to the way Motif and Montage import and create user arpeggios.

Using styles as the phrase database, Yamaha has an instant phrase library and so do we. A copy and convert operation might also be handy for creating Multi Pads, too.

-- pj

I already have a thousand phrases in C scale I could donate.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:20:31 AM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
What really concerns me is that the Genos has the same identical Live Control options as the S970. The improvement is that these Live Control parameters can be assigned to the 6 knobs and 8 faders.  Fader #9 is a Volume control.

No improvement to assign any of those parameters to a foot pedal. this is recycled PSR E433 on a $5000.00 keyboard.  Unacceptable.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:09:51 PM by Joe H »

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2017, 04:43:53 PM »
RE:
"In Montage-land, Yamaha seems to have orphaned the arpeggios. (Might be overstating this a bit.) When Yamaha moved from the Motif Performance concept to the Montage Performance concept, they lost the 5 (or 6) section mini-style, song starters. These style-like groups of phrases played together, so a quick drum+bass+guitar+whatever backing track could be played in real time into sequencer pattern or song tracks.

You can still play a Montage performance into its performance recorder, but all of those wonderfully composed groups of arps have been lost. Montage users wish and have asked Yamaha to convert them, but Yamaha hasn't take any action. This is what I mean by "orphaned."
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ ____

Hi, all the voices and more and all the Arps and more that made up these 4-part performances are still available in the Montage. Some Montage owners ( including Phil ) have, using the information in the manuals or having access to a Motif recreated these on the Montage. Converting your old favorites from the Motif is I think an excellent way to learn and experiment on the Montage. John Melas has hinted that he might do a conversion tool to convert all Motif performances to useable Montage performances. It takes a little time and effort ( which Yamaha have decided not to do as they want you to use the better Montage ones ) but is possible. The focus as always with the synthesizer line has always been the use of Arps/performances to kick start the creative process rather than using the supplied ideas as a fixed in stone (silicon) preset.

Christopher.
Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
RE:
"In Montage-land, Yamaha seems to have orphaned the arpeggios. (Might be overstating this a bit.) When Yamaha moved from the Motif Performance concept to the Montage Performance concept, they lost the 5 (or 6) section mini-style, song starters. These style-like groups of phrases played together, so a quick drum+bass+guitar+whatever backing track could be played in real time into sequencer pattern or song tracks.

_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ ____

Hi, all the voices and more and all the Arps and more that made up these 4-part performances are still available in the Montage. Some Montage owners ( including Phil ) have, using the information in the manuals or having access to a Motif recreated these on the Montage. Converting your old favorites from the Motif is I think an excellent way to learn and experiment on the Montage. John Melas has hinted that he might do a conversion tool to convert all Motif performances to useable Montage performances. It takes a little time and effort ( which Yamaha have decided not to do as they want you to use the better Montage ones ) but is possible. The focus as always with the synthesizer line has always been the use of Arps/performances to kick start the creative process rather than using the supplied ideas as a fixed in stone (silicon) preset.

Christopher.

Thanks for your post.  Having recently purchased a Motif Rack XS I agree the 5 (on the MRXS) arp variations was an important element of the Performance Mode.  I did not know this was eliminated on the Montage.  I'm looking at how I can convert MRXS Multis to Multi Pads and style Parts for the arranger keyboards.  It is nice to have access to those 6630 Motif arps.

Joe H

Offline pjd

« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
RE:

Christopher.

Hi Christopher --

Thanks for posting this and I agree. The point that I wanted to make WRT Genos is that Yamaha will only go so far converting its old content. Their policy puts the onus on either the end user to convert or for a 3rd party to build a tool (such as the excellent tools from John Melas).

I went the other way and converted MOX performances to PSR/Tyros styles. Did about about 24 of them. If I buy a Montage instead of a Genos, I will convert them back to Montage. (Cheesh. ::) )

I totally agree. This is an excellent way to deep dive and learn the intricacies of one's electronic instrument.

All the best -- pj

« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2017, 11:25:20 PM »
Hi PJ, I see what you meant. :) Converting those MOX performances to styles must have been fun and I think something that  lot of people overlook, which is the power of the styles. Used in combination with multi-pads they can be an incredibly expressive tool. A lot of talk about the Arps on the synthesizers seems to overlook the fact that the synths only have the Arps and now we get to have Arps on the new Genos as well(as styles and multi-pads). Great! Good luck on having to make a decision between the Genos and the Montage, a difficult one for sure but you know you will be happy with either. I'm lucky at the moment to have a Montage 8 and a Tyros 5-76 so I might be able to resist the urge for the Genos a little longer. :) Thanks for all the informative posts as well, they make for interesting reading.

Christopher.
Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2017, 12:02:15 AM »
... Let's hope the Genos allows the player to assign Arp Gate Time to a foot pedal. Just that single parameter can go a long way in creating real-time variations to a live arpeggiator.

Joe H

Unfortunately it does NOT!  Genos Pedal assignments only support Arp On/Off or Arp Hold... same as S970.

:(

Joe H

Bachus

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »
So if we want to make demands ... or aks nicely for improvement of the arp feature..
What should we shoot for with the current physical state of the Genos..
As its obvious that yamaha can not change the hardware...

Should we stick to this topic, or create a topic specifically for our wishes..

How should Yamaha change the arp feature to make it more usefull?
Here is my opinion...

1) add more arps then the current number of 210
2) open up the system so you can load user created arps from other yamaha instruments
3) add an option to create your own arps
4) make it so we can assign a user arp to each of the 4 panel voices. This should happen trough a specific window on the screen that opens when you hold the arp button for a bit longer.
5) add options for comtroling the arps trough the live controlls, pedals and assignable buttons.

Changing this. Would for me be a reason to upgrade from the pa4x to the Genos. Because when done this way, there is truely a reason to change from Pa4x to the Genos.

Luckilly someone saved he essence of my contribution to this topic..

Now again, the question is how are we going to get Yamaha to add (some of) these to the Genos?
They actually did quite some big featurenupdates for the montage
So not all is lost, we just need to unite our wishes

Offline Joe H

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2017, 10:33:19 PM »
Bachus,

I think we just keep making an appeal to Yamaha that their TOTL arranger MUST offer more than the PSR E-433, S670, S770 and S970.  After all the Genos IS now the TOTL arranger.

1. Minimum 2 live arps... 4 would be better
2. Assignable  to Left, R1, R2, R3, Style Parts or Multi Pads.
3. Genos should also offer ALL Live Control functions assigned to a foot pedal or foot switch.
4. Full MIDI implementation (MIDI Data Formats like the Motif) All Live control parameters can be executed via system exclusive.
5. Live Control parameter setting on all knobs and faders be saved in registrations
6. Add all Motif XF arps and Mega Voices necessary to use with the Mega Arps

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:35:19 PM by Joe H »

Bachus

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »
Bachus,

I think we just keep making an appeal to Yamaha that their TOTL arranger MUST offer more than the PSR E-433, S670, S770 and S970.  After all the Genos IS now the TOTL arranger.

1. Minimum 2 live arps... 4 would be better
2. Assignable  to Left, R1, R2, R3, Style Parts or Multi Pads.
3. Genos should also offer ALL Live Control functions assigned to a foot pedal or foot switch.
4. Full MIDI implementation (MIDI Data Formats like the Motif) All Live control parameters can be executed via system exclusive.
5. Live Control parameter setting on all knobs and faders be saved in registrations
6. Add all Motif XF arps and Mega Voices necessary to use with the Mega Arps

Joe H

Yes offcourse..

Arps assignable to the multipads and styles..
How could i have not seen this..
This would be so huge for creating diversity in a style.

Real arps playing, and you could controll the parameters amd chnage the arps and so your auto acomp trough changing the arp in real time, or even trough prerecorded controll messages..

Definately would be huge..

Bachus

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2017, 08:06:18 PM »
Joe, how much success did you have turning the midi of a styletrack into an arp?

We know Montage has a feature that turns any midi track into an arp..
But would such a tool work in the Genos too?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2017, 10:22:14 PM »
... Real arps playing, and you could control the parameters amd chnage the arps and so your auto accompaniment through changing the arp in real time, or even through prerecorded control messages..

Definately would be huge..

I can do this with my Motif Rack XS Multis.  I created an algorithm made up of Arp Gate Time, Attack, Decay, Release, Filter Cutoff and Resonance simultaneously.  Each parameter is adjusted with its own minimum and maximum value.  the PC1600x faders are mapped to a pedal as Master Fader so I can control the algorithm with a foot pedal real-time. I will try to record an example this weekend.

I also DID made a style Part using the S970 arpeggiator.  The recorded arp was manipulated with real-time Arp Note Gate Time using Live Control to create a unique one of a kind arp. I will try to record an example of that as well.

I'm hoping Yamaha will add the sysex data formats for arp parameters on the Genos.  When I requested them for the S970 I was told they don't exist.   :(

I have turned MANY style Parts into arps and converted them to Multi Pads and converted Multi Pads to style Parts.  Just recently I converted a bunch of Motif arps to Multi Pads using Pad-Maker-Midi.  These are good for Trance music and other EDM. Michael Bedesem's MixMaster has a Batch Process for converting style parts and Multi Pads into pure MIDI loops.  You have the option of including the Voice messages and other MIDI data or just the note data alone. 

This function allows us to convert thousands of ready to use MIDI loops created from style parts and Multi Parts that are 100% compatible with our arranger keyboards.   And I'm talking about all styles and genre of musical tastes.

I have made several appeals to the author of StyleMagic to add Import MIDI Loop to his next program update.  If he does this, it will be possible to load loops into StyleMagic to build styles much the same way as in a DAW but I think a lot easier.  Plus StyleMagic allows us to easily create the CASM settings and convert to a style.  Not to mention the great Voice Editor and Drum Kit Editor.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:32:20 PM by Joe H »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2017, 11:18:30 PM »
Great informational post, Joe. These are the kind of posts that are very helpful to everyone on the forum, and I'm really happy to have you here.

Keep up the good work,

Gary :cool:
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2017, 11:27:12 PM »
Thanks Gary.  I'm still working nearly full time at 70 years of age.  This really puts a damper on my hobby projects.  There are a couple of tutorials I would like to write, but so little time.

Lately it seems like there is a lot of "chewing the fat" and not so much help with how to get the most out of our keyboards.

About two yeas ago I contacted several forum members and proposed a group effort to write a tutorial on style making that included all available tools, the technical aspects of building a style, the musicality of styles, mixing and arranging.  I don't know how this could be coordinated except by a video conference for an initial discussion followed up by group emails and maybe a couple more video conferences.

It would be nice to produce a comprehensive tutorial that might include in-depth documentation with screen shots of the keyboard and software where applicable and short videos on "How To" techniques.  But... it's just wishful thinking... I'm just a dreamer on this I think.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:35:33 PM by Joe H »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »
Joe, I will be 77 next week, and I didn't retire until last year, mainly because health issues forced me to retire. The best advice I have for you is to take some time to smell the roses before someone places roses on your casket. I should have retired at age 70, but when you are an musician/entertainer and work 7 days a week and the money is flowing in it's hard to say no when someone offers to pay you for having this much fun.

I celebrated my 72 birthday sailing down the Atlantic Intra-Coastal Waterway to the Florida Keys where I spent that winter. It was as close to retirement as you can get, and I only performed two to thee nights a week while I was there, which paid all my expenses. If I were not so busted up, I would do it this month, but now my lungs are shot and I am slowly dieing of pulmonary fibrosis from asbestos contact when I was a young kid in the US Navy.

I have done several tutorials for the site, which can be found under projects. If I were going to do one today, it would be all video with audio voice overs, which have a greater impact than those that I merely wrote. The only reason I was success with the written projects is for many years I was a full-time, freelance outdoor writer for 25 publications. For me it was relatively easy, but without that experience, it would have been a lot more time consuming and difficult.

Thanks again for your efforts and contributions to the forum,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
Hi Gary,

I've decide to go to a 4 day work week... so that's a start in the right direction I think.   ;)

Joe H

Jimmy Gee

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2017, 07:13:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing - I have just really begun with Arp's.

I use a combination of my T5 with Logic Pro X which has  some Synth Plug-ins with programable ( customizable Std Patterns) ARP's.

So this combo offers quite a selection:
1) I can just trigger the ARP in Logic by playing a note or chord on my T5.
2) I can combine a T5 Multi-Pad (Arp) with a Logic Arp ( 2 separate tracks- same BPM) - and get something Strange / amazing / Exciting / different results.
3) I can take a T5 MP play it thru a Logic Synth where the T5 MP gives the 'pattern' and Logic is revoicing it.

The dropbox link is an example of:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9crrqev7izokpv/EDM%20chant.mp3?dl=0

1) T5 Style and MP
2) Logic Arp
3) T5 Ensemble voice
4) Apple loops and samples
 8)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
I don't have an account with Google drop box so I can't listen to your arps.

Joe H

Bachus

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2017, 03:19:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing - I have just really begun with Arp's.

I use a combination of my T5 with Logic Pro X which has  some Synth Plug-ins with programable ( customizable Std Patterns) ARP's.

So this combo offers quite a selection:
1) I can just trigger the ARP in Logic by playing a note or chord on my T5.
2) I can combine a T5 Multi-Pad (Arp) with a Logic Arp ( 2 separate tracks- same BPM) - and get something Strange / amazing / Exciting / different results.
3) I can take a T5 MP play it thru a Logic Synth where the T5 MP gives the 'pattern' and Logic is revoicing it.

The dropbox link is an example of:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9crrqev7izokpv/EDM%20chant.mp3?dl=0

1) T5 Style and MP
2) Logic Arp
3) T5 Ensemble voice
4) Apple loops and samples
 8)

Nice performance

Logic/mainstage has a very nice arpeggiator, also Omnisphere, Reason and Halio. Have very nice arps.

I even started a topic about this ar kvr audio, the worlds most popular vst forum, and it seems people agree overthere, nothing comes close to the diversity of Yamaha’s motif and montage arps..

If you want Yamaha’s arps and make full use of it, we still seems to be condemned to using a montage..  why cant yamaha understand that this feature is also very very usefull for arrangers?  In a more pro form, i guess...

Marcus

« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »
God bless you "Gary", and may you have many good days and years of enjoyment ahead into your retirement. Stay as activate as you can as you fight your unfortunate ailment, which seems to be in your nature anyway. Above all, thank you for your service, your sacrifices and others make this world a safer place.
Marcus

The Yamaha arranger keyboards already have a nice assortment of Multipads with arpeggio patterns. I assume their will be a bunch included in the new Genos addition of Multipads. Multipads, for the most part, seem to be ignored by a lot of arranger users, but I use that powerful feature all the time.

In Multipad Creator, you can edit or substitute another voice into an arpeggio pattern, while even accessing your custom voice edit saves or any voice in your expansion folder (Tyros 5). Above all, Multipads can allow 4 arpeggio patterns to play at the same time or with style parts playing and of course usually set to follow your chords.

Above that, on the Genos, I can assume that Multipads sounds/voices can be dynamically altered through the "Live Controller", just like the other assigned parts where the sound can be shaped during a live performance. So one cannot rule out the powerful Multipad arpeggios and the fact that four can play at the same time.

Above even that, REX/REX2 files can be assigned to a Multipad or built up within various style RHY parts. Huge potential in voice creation within the new Genos YEM program. Looking forward to this. REX files give us the option of still creating quality Audio RHY parts in a style. For some reason YamahaMusicSoft removed the Golden Oldies REX Style pack from the site. I ready wanted to purchase these and study their structure, but I am pretty sure how they were made with the REX files assembled within the various style parts. There is no loss of audio quality using a REX file within a reasonable tempo range.

REX2 files can add the stereo element to a standard REX file. In Recycle or Reason 7/8 programs, intricate and complex DSP effects can be added with alternating Left/Right stereo effects built separately into each slice of the file. These files need not to be limited to sequencer programs or DAW, but have huge potential within a hardware arranger. When transferred to a Tyros 5 or better in the Genos, the original stereo DSP effects edited and inserted into the REX2 file is reproduced on the Tyros5/Genos with no loss of sound quality. When the REX file is played through a Multipad or style RHY part, I can see no reason why the Genos live controllers cannot dynamically add to the huge potential of using REX files within your overall mix and music creation.

Really looking forward to the Genos Reference and Data specs and how in depth the YEM2 will be.

Check out Slice Edit Mode (8:30 - 13:35)
Reason | Creating REX files Without ReCycle | Pyramind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01s0XOx3wz0

Marcus

Offline Joe H

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2017, 08:37:48 PM »

... Above that, on the Genos, I can assume that Multipads sounds/voices can be dynamically altered through the "Live Controller", just like the other assigned parts where the sound can be shaped during a live performance. So one cannot rule out the powerful Multipad arpeggios and the fact that four can play at the same time...

Marcus

Marcus,

Unless you have seen it in writing... don't assume anything.  It is unlikely Yamaha has implemented what you describe above.  Multi Pads are pre-recorded arps and cannot be manipulated real-time.  We can edit them... adding continuous controllers with Pan and Filter Sweeps, Portamento, Add DSP 1 Send, Attack, Decay and Release, etc.  The same applies to style Parts which are also pre-recorded arps.  That is the big difference between Multi Pads and style parts and a live arpeggiator.

I think there are about 50 more arps in the Genos over the S970s 160 or so. 

From the demos I watched, Yamaha has taken a new approach for the arranger and given us many more Multi Pads to compliment styles.  Apparently Peter at Easy Sounds was aware of this concept and implemented it in his new expansion pack Magic Dance.  Magic Dance comes with 600 Multi Pads (150 MP Banks).  I think some of these Multi Pads came from the Motif or Montage.

I suspect we will find the Genos allows the live arpeggiator to be assigned to R1, R2, R3 or all three Voices at once... which is how the S970 works.   I don't know how the live arps are setup in the Motif and Montage architecture, but they seem to be linked to the sequencer.

In the arranger, we have several sequencers:

1. Style (Creator) loop sequencer (Type 0)
2. MIDI Song sequencer (Type 0)
3. Multi Pad loop sequencer (Type 1)
4. Voice Set sequencer (Type 0)

Since the Style sequencer is a special MIDI file... Standard MIDI File plus OTS and CASM chunks, it may not be possible to incorporate a live arp into a style.

Joe H

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:39:15 PM by Joe H »

Marcus

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »
Marcus,

......"Unless you have seen it in writing... don't assume anything.  It is unlikely Yamaha has implemented what you describe above.  Multi Pads are pre-recorded arps and cannot be manipulated real-time.  We can edit them... adding continuous controllers with Pan and Filter Sweeps, Portamento, Add DSP 1 Send, Attack, Decay and Release, etc.  The same applies to style Parts which are also pre-recorded arps.  That is the big difference between Multi Pads and style parts and a live arpeggiator"............

Joe H
Correct, you cannot edit Pan and Filter Sweeps, Portamento, Add DSP 1 Send, Attack, Decay and Release in a Multipad or using the Genos continuous controllers. What I was suggesting was, such dynamics could be added and edited within a REX2 file before being imported to the YEM and then to a Genos Multipad or assembled into a Genos RHY style part. When played on the Genos, all the pre-edited Pan and Filter Sweeps, Portamento, external DSPs, Attack, Decay, Release edits are already processed within the stereo REX2 file in Recycle/ Reason or compatible program/DAW.

The only thing the Genos live control can do however, is just mix the volume level (REX2 multipad or REX2 style part). As far as the above, the Tyros 5 already accepts REX2 files, so personally I am going to investigate this potential on the Genos or whatever improvements were done to the YEM2. ****, where are the Genos Data, Reference, Computer/App, YEM2 pdf manuals?  ::) :'(

Marcus

Offline Joe H

« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2017, 09:12:02 PM »
Marcus,

I assume that is a typo.  Multi Pads CAN be edited to your heart's content... as you describe for the REX2.  I doubt you will have much advantange with REX2 on the Genos.  From what I've heard so far, Genos equals the sound quality of REX2... so working in MIDI will be an advantage over REX2 files.

Joe H

Bachus

« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
Multipads are midi loops..
Since we cant synchronise audioloops, they dont count
These are static sequences

Arpeggio’s can so,etimes be a static sequnce
However, most of the time, they have been set to be much more dynamic
For example with the pattern starting over each time you play a new key..

Multipads are not arps.. while they can be a static arpegio...
They are not arps, and will never be..

Offline Joe H

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »
Multipads are midi loops..

...Multipads are not arps.. while they can be a static arpegio...
They are not arps, and will never be..

Exactly!

Joe H

Marcus

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2017, 02:02:29 AM »
Marcus,

I assume that is a typo.  Multi Pads CAN be edited to your heart's content... as you describe for the REX2.  I doubt you will have much advantange with REX2 on the Genos.  From what I've heard so far, Genos equals the sound quality of REX2... so working in MIDI will be an advantage over REX2 files.

Joe H
Sorry about that Joe, I misread your post. You can edit multipads, but fairly limited in Multipad creator, and no real-time editing.

REX files are MIDI controlled. Each slice is mapped to a key note and played in sequence to a tempo, thus no loss in audio quality. The Tyros 5 Audio drum parts are audio and quality does degrade beyond a reasonable tempo with time stretch.

Sorry I'm am not that familiar with Arps or Arp generators, but I am learning a lot from everyone's perspective. For me, I can be quite content using arpeggio MIDI loops within a Multipad. They would follow the style tempo and follow the chording. As far as I can tell, the Genos arpeggio feature is clocked to the tempo and notes dictated by the chord and pattern selected. I can't see any difference converting them to an exact Multipad copy, plus up to four arps can play at the same as a Multipad.

I also no difference converting the exact arp MIDI loop into a style part. I also no difference setting the Genos Chord fingering to "FINGERED" to activate the Style "Sync Stop" button and restarting the arp loop pattern each time you play a chord. I also see no reason why every arp/voice combination on the Genos could not be converted to an exact MIDI loop copy (or substituted Tyros 5 voice) and transferred to a Tyros 5 and play the exact arps within a style or a Multipad. The only difference is, the Genos has the added "live control". Of course "live control" works great on arps and more contemporary music types, one of the strong points of the Genos.

Marcus

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2017, 03:05:27 AM »
Multi-pads are probably the most underutilized feature of an arranger keyboard by live entertainers. Essentially, as an entertainer, it's one of those overlooked features that we rarely thought about while on stage, but in the studio, it jumps out and says "Let me make your song sound great!"

I, for one, was guilty of overlooking multi-pads for many year, but after I discovered what they could do to enhance my performances, they were a go to item on every job - and the audiences noticed the difference immediately.

Great discussion, guys and gals, keep them coming,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2017, 03:08:01 AM »
Marcus,

Our style Main Sections and Multi Pads are recorded MIDI loops.   The arpeggiator in the S970 is very basic.  There is a "pattern" programmed into the arpeggio that is often anchored to a Root note. (usually played with the thumb of the right hand).  The simplest arps are the Up , Down and Up/Down, Down/Up all of which can be 1 octave, 2 octaves or 3 octaves. 

Lets take the simple Up arp.  The arp follows the notes you play on the keyboard. It could be 2, 3, 4, or 5 notes.  You can play any notes you wish and the arp follows the "Up Pattern" following whatever notes you are playing.  If you are playing a chord, then you get the standard "broken chord" arpeggio.  But if you are moving you fingers around to different notes as the arp pattern plays, you get variations on the arp output.  You can be switching between 2 notes and 3 notes and get more variations.  If you have real-time Arp Note Gate Time things begin to get interesting because now you can change the note length at will so that some notes play legato and some play staccato and maybe some in between.

On the S970, and no doubt on the Genos, if you have the Arp Menu open, you can change arps on-the-fly using the same Voice to create even more complex arp patterns.  You can also layer R1, and R2 playing the arp or have R1 play the arp while R2 plays a synth pad... or plays the same Voice sustained while R1 plays the arp pattern.

Now it is possible to record all this and convert it to a Multi Pad.  So... Multi Pads don't have to be the stagnant repetitious loop but could have the dynamics close to the live arp if done well.

So I think you and Bachus are both right.  It's not what we have, but how we use it.  I see even with the limited single live arp we can create new and interesting style Parts and Multi Pads with a little creative imagination.

Some arps have both note data and controller data... usually this is Filter, Pan or Expression.  The newest XS and XF arps in the Motif (an I assume in the Montage are far more complicated and use Mega Voices that may have both Drum/percussion samples and Normal samples programmed in them) and the arp is programmed so the velocity of the arp notes triggers the different samples.

I think very few people here have explored the arps on the S970.  A couple of other important arp parameters are Arp Note Velocity and Unit Multiply.  Real-time variation of the Arp note Velocity can be as effective as real-time variation of the Arp Gate Time with certain Voices that are velocity sensitive and may have filter mapped to velocity. Another parameter that can be effective is Release time that will give a similar result as Gate Time.  It requires a lot of experimenting to learn how to "play" the arps.

So I understand why Bachus says Multi Pads are not arps... they aren't.  But it is possible to created more interesting Multi Pads by recording the arps and applying real-time effects via the knobs and faders on the Genos and recording them to the sequencer so they can be converted to a style Part or Multi Pad.

I'm very happy Yamaha added this new tool to their arrangers.  Like Bachus, I think Yamaha fell short on what they could have included... and we will have to see once the board is in the hands of some of the forum members as to any improvements over the S970 OTHER than more knobs and sliders.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:12:23 AM by Joe H »

Marcus

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2017, 03:52:54 AM »
Awesome explanation. Thanks for taking the time writing that post. Looking forward to what the Genos can create and explore with this new Arp feature. If I ever use this feature, it will be mostly for creating realistic guitar, piano and other traditional instrumental patterns.

For me, perhaps as a tool to create fixed Multipad and style parts, even though some may cringe at that limitation, unless I am inspired into some contemporary mindset and delve deeper. I'm sure some more awe inspiring Genos video demos are on the way.  Great thread and discussion as we wait for the true details of the Genos.

Marcus