Author Topic: What is NEW in GENOS  (Read 28034 times)

Offline Misu

What is NEW in GENOS
« on: September 15, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »
Hi friends,
I will put the link for the picture because I sure that is real and maybe we need.
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21743530_10154664284766879_2578824738223166933_o.jpg?oh=20ed5f3bbc4ee48385ee7fbdf62e12cc&oe=5A1B59FD

Few days ago I had an conversation with my dealer for Yamaha, also friend.
He tell how on this GENOS will be all that Yamaha have better now.
Of course nothing sure, he are invited on the 18 September on exclusive presentation on Germany.
We spoke about:
Tuchscreen
Fully editable Voices
Fully editable Styles
Presence of real Mono-Legato.
And I will stop here, let see, and after we can look on the picture and, with the news which appear every day, analyze.
Now lets stop to <dance how the fine strategy of marketing from Yamaha sing>.
1. Touchscreen - Indeed is new (Montage doesn't have) Korg - no; Ketron SD9 - no
2. Fully editable voices - I just wait to see on the screen the wave curve to modify, to cut, to save like ....UVG and to use on the keyboard. Others can't do this and, what about all the models with YEM.
3. Fully editable Styles - Let see how easy will be to have an Major Minor Intro without computer. Of course, again, others can't do this.
4. Mono-Legato - If I look to the Joystick probably it is from PSR A3000 - nothing new but very much appreciated by the oriental countries.

Maximum one month ago Yamaha increase the prices for all products, now my S970 is 2000E for what?
Probably to can reduce on this event, I don't like this.
I will come back with more.
As I say before, sometimes I love Yamaha(keyboard) but I don't like his strategy. Like usual to the beginning I'm furious.
It is a reminiscence of communism, we no longer believe in perfect things.

Thanks to all and best regards
Mihai
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361

Offline pjd

Re: What is NEW in GENOS
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
Maximum one month ago Yamaha increase the prices for all products, now my S970 is 2000E for what?
Probably to can reduce on this event, I don't like this.
I will come back with more.
As I say before, sometimes I love Yamaha(keyboard) but I don't like his strategy. Like usual to the beginning I'm furious.
It is a reminiscence of communism, we no longer believe in perfect things.

Hello Mihai --

I read through the latest Yamaha annual report to investors. Yamaha got clobbered by international currency exchange rates last year. As a result, they have been adjusting prices everywhere. The loss due to currency conversion is quite large, even to my old eyes.

The annual report is here: https://www.yamaha.com/en/ir/publications/

Hope this provides some information -- pj

Offline Misu

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »
Hi,

An text from my Romanian site obtained with Google translate for you.
I didn't think too much to this, maybe you are interest.

<<Let's see on November 2, when it looks like the official launch, if the rumors about Genos are confirmed or not.
Rumors are as follows:
- 9 linear potentiometers and 6 rotary potentiometers (all can be used to change in real time a number of parameters, something like the Yamaha Motif or Yamaha Montage series, or the Korg M3 - not all mother clams Korg Oasis, a project that, unfortunately, Korg abandoned it because they did not sell as expected, most likely due to the extremely prickly price - about 8,000 euros);
- new tone generator: AWM2, instead of AWM, as before (let's see what the system brings)
- 10 buttons (instead of 8) at Registration bank;
- A COMPLETE NEW sequencer that comes with 16 tracks that can be both midi and audio, as desired by the user, turning a single midi track into audio track; you can say 10 midi and 6 audio tracks or whatever you want; you can only re-register a part of an audio track from measure ... 10, say, to measure ... 16, let's say, not affecting the rest of the measures in that audio track, just like you worked in the midi sequencer;
- play, record patterns in Motif, with the note that the new pattern will be able to contain audio files in the loop; you will be able to record as a pattern directly from the mixed audio-midi sequencer I was talking about above; You can also copy patterns as tracks in style;
- the new style format will recognize, create, edit, import both midi tracks and audio loops; the style creator will recognize the old Yamaha standard style format, ie STY, SFF1 and SFF2;
- it will have a chord track and a loop chord (like the Korg PA4 and PA700 / 1000), but it has an interesting thing: once you choose a song, you choose a style, go to style with the chord track on and the rhythm will change the accords on its own accord according to the harmony of the song (that is, you do not bother to get the agreement, that he knows exactly what agreements to catch); interesting concept, to see it at work, when it appears and especially to what would be useful to us;
- 3 pitch tones, up to 4 simultaneous tones;
- will have some of the piano on Montage;
- each live tone will have a separate effect for each tone, but the ensemble tones (first appeared on Tyros 5) will have 4 distinct effects, one on each of the four parts of the tone;
- drum tracks will have 8 track effects, max 2 midi tracks plus one audio loop track per style / variation; each percussion element will have adjustable indebted one drum relative to each other: giving that percussion element in both halftone and semiton, volume, panning, reverb levels, chorus, DSP (effect only as insertion on that drum) , filter cutoff, filter resonance, Attack, Decay 1 and Decay 2; you can also replace any percussion element in a given style with any percussion element in another drum kit or audio wave;
- Integration with the iPad, go to the room with the iPad and adjust your style, song, tone, etc. from the tablet (if this is true, it will be a revolution for the general sound, for who knows how to adjust the sound, of course).
Let's see how many of these are real and how many are just dreams ... Man live and see ... And let's see what the price will come!>>

Thanks to the person which inform us!
Regards
Mihai

The following users thanked this post: tomtomsf, dragon, vbdx66

Marcus

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
With almost a thousand posts to date, with this Genos forum, discussions and speculation, (Misu) Mihai's info above seems the most plausible (paraphrased from a friend Yamaha dealer). Also the most interesting considering the lack of cold hard facts. The ability of the Genos to allow one style audio channel (hopefully fully user custom-editable), that is a huge game changer regarding styles. I can do...oh so much with that... if that rumor is true, especially if pitch and time-stretch is applied to the audio track. That, plus significant improvement to the Tyros 5 Ensemble, I'm totally in. Can't wait for more teasers and the ultimate Genos full disclosure.

Marcus

Forgot to list my new acronym, I Am Totally In (IATI)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:17:22 PM by Marcus »

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 12:05:21 AM »
I wonder if the Genos will bring Mp3 recorder, it would be great.   greetings Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:11 AM »
The New Yamaha Genos

Product Name: Digital Keyboard (Yamaha Genos)
Dimensions (W x D x H): 1234 mm x 456 mm x 138 mm
Weight: 13.0 kg
Keyboard: 76 Tasten (FSX) Initial Touch/Aftertouch
Controllers: Joystick, 6 Knobs, 9 Crossfader, Art.1, Art.2, Art.3
Display: TFT Colour Wide VGA LCD (800 x 400 dots / 9 inch) Touch Screen
Sub Display: OLED (Live Control View / 589 x 48 dots)
Tone Generation: AWM Stereo Sampling, AEM Technology
Polpyhonie: 256 (max.)
Number of Voices (Presets): 1.652 Voices + 58 Drum/SFX Kits
Featured Voices: 10 Revo Drums/SFX, 76 Ensemble, 390 Super Articulation, 75 Super Articulation2, 82 MegaVoices, 40Sweet, 81 Cool, 160 Live, 24 Organ Flutes.
Number of Styles: 550 (491 Pro, 39 Session, 10 Free Play, 10 DJ)
Expansion Voice: Yes (max. 1.8 GByte Onboard)
Storage: Internal Memory (58 GByte) / External USB Flash Drive
Microphone: Yes (Combo Jack) +48 Phantom Power
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

The following users thanked this post: dragon, Linson

BradgeMusicTube

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
Why would this be unlikely?

BradgeMusicTube

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
Yeah, i can totally get you! I also doubt that this is the full list, but it might be a brief overview.

Although i fully agree with you, if this is really it then i'll just save me $1000 or so and buy a Tyros 5.
Let's hope that the real specs will be shown soon!

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:46:30 PM »
T5 specifications

Ensemble 55
S.Art2! 44 / S.Art! 288
MegaVoice 54 / Live! 138
Cool! 81 / Sweet! 37 / Organ World 40

Genos expected specifications
Featured Voices: 10 Revo Drums/SFX, 76 Ensemble, 390 Super Articulation, 75 Super Articulation2, 82 MegaVoices, 40Sweet, 81 Cool, 160 Live, 24 Organ Flutes.

It's likely that "Organ flute" are "Organ World".
+32 SA2 !!!
+ 21 Ensemble (Ensemble voices are mainly of SA quality on T5)
+ 102 SA !!!
+ 28 Megavoice !!

I don't know what are "Revo" drums (Revo...lution ?)

It's totally fine for me ....

The following users thanked this post: ntmb

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
Why would this be unlikely?

Hi --

I agree with Bachus. These "specs" look fishy.

10 DJ styles? The same number as the S970?

TFT WVGA resolution is 800H by 480V, not 400V.

Mixture of English and German (e.g., "Tasten", not "keys").

Should be "Organ World", not "Organ Flutes" (as cited by Bachus).

No mention of audio styles (as cited by Bachus).

The 1.8GByte expansion memory is probably lifted from Montage specs. If the GENOS has the same size voice expansion memory as Montage, it would be coincidental.

28 more Mega Voices looks too big. T5 added 11 Mega Voices over T4.

All the best -- pj

Offline Misu

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 06:48:27 AM »

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361

Offline maartenb

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
Many things are visible now

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Please STOP posting links to these "me too" video's!

The first one is orgaforum (do I need to say more?), the second one only contains the images that were posted on this forum FIRST!

Maarten

Offline Ingar

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
I wonder if the Genos will bring Mp3 recorder, it would be great.   greetings Hans

Yes, and convert midifiles in to styles. Korg has that ability. 

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »
This Organ Forum will put people off of the Genos .

All I hear Is an annoying bass beat with Kiddies wind up toy music. ;D

Please do not mention wanting Mp3 music as that format Is now defunct. Frauhoffer has stopped licensing It or backing It. Mp3's will still live on though but not fantastic quality.

Mp4/AAC is the future because of Apple. I Tunes and Ipads I guess  support It. I personally like flac files. but waves are best. :P

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:36:39 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Misu

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 09:47:51 AM »
Hi,
When I start this topic was to temperate a little bit all this enthusiasm regarding the news on G.
When I put these links was just a good intention, unfortunately I didn't saw <new pictures> topic and; sorry for this.
Dear Ingar,
Probably no!
Dear <maartenb>
For sure you have an issues with the administrators of <orgaforum>, in fact me too, I just choose to ignore him, and to be there how less is possible.
Both videos are in fact one, and both from YouTube.
Sorry for may English (0 hour of study), but I'm able to understand your <me too> I don't need activity or publicity here, please don't transfer your anger to me.
In fact this post tell me many.
This is all for this topic. There is so many topic to discus Genos ability without this....

Thanks everyone & Best regards
Mihai

Offline maartenb

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 09:52:40 AM »
I personally like flac files. but waves are best.

Hi Ugawoga, be assured, there is no audio quality difference between FLAC and .wav. Only the file size is different, but not the audio samples.

Maarten

Kari V

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »
I'm not so sure that we should be very concerned about the "big" amount of money that some people make by making Youtube videos of the existing pictures of the Genos.

According to the Guardian, the average Spotify payment to an artist from the label portion (from the total Spotify payout of $0.006-$0.0084) is $0.001128 – this being what a signed artist receives after the label's share.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/03/how-much-musicians-make-spotify-itunes-youtube

For the Youtube case, the artist's share is said to be $0.0003 per view.
Assuming a 15% share, the total would be $0.002, which is in line with the stated unsigned artist's revenue of $0.0018 per view. That is the amount per view that those people making videos of the Genos could get. Assume the $0.002 figure per view in the following.

So for
-1000 views they get about $2
-10000 views they get about $20
-100000 views they get about $200
etc.

The thing is that the more Youtube views there are, the better it is for everyone, artists included. Those Genos videos are naturally contributing only a tiny fraction, but why should we neglect it?

So this would be a market economy view, I guess.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
Hi Mihai,

Please allow me to clarify.

Dear <maartenb>
For sure you have an issues with the administrators of <orgaforum>

To use media material from someone else without giving credit and on top of that try to make money with it... I consider that unethical. One could also call it plagiarism.

I don't have issues with the person itself, but with this specific behaviour. If s/he gives proper credit and would show it without the advertisements, I would have no problems with it. Except that it doesn't add anything...

I just choose to ignore him

I find that hard to believe. Why are you posting his video's here then?

please don't transfer your anger to me.

Am I angry at you? No. Maybe I used too many exclamation marks in my post...?  ;)

Am I firm, direct and clear? Yes. This is not the first time you and I have talked about the plagiated material. We've discussed it before.

It's hard to keep up with all the posts on this forum, I know. I too am very curious to the new Genos and I try to separate all the humbug from the "real" rumours. Combining that with facts, like pictures and official material from Yamaha, we get a picture of what the Genos will be capable of. At this moment I still have a lot of questions!

So let's gather "real" rumours here and leave the duplicates out of it.

Maarten

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
Not to mention that boring bass music on their vids  YUCK!! >:(

Bring on the Neurofen Tablets :o   or Screaming Lord Such  (Monster raving looney party)  8)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:16:18 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Misu

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »
PLEASE try to forgot and stop this.
I have answer for you but my choice is: .............................................
Mihai

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »
The answer is  SAUSAGES      ;D

Offline pjd

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »
This Organ Forum will put people off of the Genos.

Agreed, but maybe for different reasons.  :)

A few posters on other forums have asked, "Is that background music from Genos? It sounds terrible."

Maybe Korg and Roland are funding orgaforum.  ;)

The guy's visuals aren't that great either. The production values of the three teaser videos are 100,000 meters above.

-- pj

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 02:07:31 PM »
I think the trouble is that there has been far to much useless information that it has become boring. Members are not bothering to read the threads to see that subjects have all ready been posted so new threads are popping up all over the place with the same information. It really has taken the fun out of it.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »

Maybe Korg and Roland are funding orgaforum.  ;)

-- pj
Hi pj,

Casio, actually  ;D ;D ;D

Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Lloyd E

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »

Guessing games that don't mean anything. Wait for Yamaha to give you the facts, not speculation from members who are playing guessing games and giving mis-information. Lloyd

Offline Misu

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
Hi friends,

Unfortunately that site was created by the people who love <too much-in my opinion> Yamaha.
Why would I fight this man? Because he promotes the Yamaha brand for <OF> and sounds amazing?
For sure Genos will be at least like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lfyRmY7OM
Enjoy the music!
Mihai

Offline Joe H

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
I think the trouble is that there has been far to much useless information that it has become boring. Members are not bothering to read the threads to see that subjects have all ready been posted so new threads are popping up all over the place with the same information. It really has taken the fun out of it.

I think Yamaha deserves credit here.  So far the introduction of Genos has been rather poor.  This is Yamaha's doing.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline maartenb

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
Hi friends,

Unfortunately that site was created by the people who love <too much-in my opinion> Yamaha.
Why would I fight this man? Because he promotes the Yamaha brand for <OF> and sounds amazing?
Enjoy the music!
Mihai

Thanks for posting a Tyros 5 video filled with several ads. Please put it in the Tyros 5 part of this forum.

Why do you keep posting video's made by orgaforum?

Maarten

Offline Misu

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 03:54:53 PM »
Hi Joe,

For sure the level will be higher.

Regards

Offline EileenL

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »
All of us who have had Yamaha keyboards before know that this is Yamaha's way of doing things and it works because it gets people talking about it and that is what it is designed to do. They can't be held responsible for what people post. That is up to forum moderators to stop all the repeat posts and put them together so we are not reading the same thing over and over so what we are reading is fresh. 

Marcus

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
Hi friends,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lfyRmY7OM
Enjoy the music!
Mihai
You are correct Mihai. I watched Orgaforum videos for years. Lulik appears to be a very nice man promoting Yamaha. The best Tyros 5 introduction demo videos came from Orgaforum and Fly-music featuring Peter Baartmans. Looking forward to perhaps live Genos videos as well.

Lulik is a forum member. In the Tyros 5 forum, one of his videos featured a nice piano sample that some were inquiring about. I am sure if someone sent him a friendly PM, he would response and give one info on the piano sample and how to get it for your Tyros 5. If there is a re-post or duplicate link to a video, I simply skip it. I don't see the reason for the fuss.

Watch the official Yamaha Genos site for further Genos info and full reveal in time. At least when we see an unofficial video of someone actually playing a Genos, at least we'll know it isn't fake and draw our own conclusions.

Marcus

Offline Misu

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 05:35:57 PM »
Dear Marcus,

Thanks for your support. I have a friend, dealer of Yamaha, he sale in one store more than all stores Yamaha from my country because of the Romanian pack made by Iulik and sale for free for the customers of my friend, including me.
Iulik doesn't have time to administrate the site and the administrators are not so nice so for this I say <I don,t like the site>
Once I was out.
My friend was invited to the 18.09.2017 presentation so for sure this person know better than anyone of us.
I will be present on the official lunch of Romania.
What I don't understand is way this <war> <don't like - don't look>
Even someone make a mistakes let's be nice, the life it's short.
Maybe tomorrow I will put from YouTube a representative link for discussions of Maarten Bijster, why must be forbidden to use OF videos.

Let's be happy, with hope, for the new keyboard, and wait few weeks.
Mihai

Offline Misu

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Hi

For the people which have more theoretical knowledge than me, from my corner of the world, an simple opinion from one (and many are agreed with him) of the players regarding the customer expectations, and this didn't come from <OF>

<Genos uses internal SWPE70, a 16 GB internal NAND FLASH tuner with data rates of 780 Mb per second. So enough processing has. This chip supports 512 polyphony, but only half of that face (256 polyphony) is used. Processing power surely this keyboard have, surely it will have a great sound, let's see how it will stand at the function side and how easy is to use them.
Has he made his way to a real arranger or remained to a great <player> of everything (styles & sound) made by help of software computer.

2 GB option has T5 (and probably T4 if we can put the 2 GB plate works, but I have not seen anyone have a 2 GB board); at Genos of the 2 GB, probably the 200 mega missing uses them for samples with which new internal tones are made.
It's kind of a T5 with more tones, another interface and more controllers on the face, plus some from s970 (DJ issues) and A3000 (joystick)

If it has the same creative style as the rest of their arrangers without Chord Variations (different formula for, at least, 7 and dim) we will have the same problem.
That's what I understand from the specifications: Style SFF and Style GE, that is, those that also support audio loops on the drum, so they have the same format for style, without CVs, although in their software you can define how many resumes you want, it's not like Korg, because instead of 48 midi tracks arranged in 6 resumes CV, they have 46 tracks, one drum + 45 for anything else in any kind CVs you want to define, provided you do not exceed the number of tracks, only that Yamaha do not release this software and I mean to give it to buy it, not to get it>
This was one of us, and it was interesting for me, maybe for you also!
Let see more Monday.

Regards
Mihai

Marcus

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
Hi

For the people which have more theoretical knowledge than me, from my corner of the world, an simple opinion from one (and many are agreed with him) of the players regarding the customer expectations, and this didn't come from <OF>

<Genos uses internal SWPE70, a 16 GB internal NAND FLASH tuner with data rates of 780 Mb per second. So enough processing has. This chip supports 512 polyphony, but only half of that face (256 polyphony) is used. Processing power surely this keyboard have, surely it will have a great sound, let's see how it will stand at the function side and how easy is to use them.
Has he made his way to a real arranger or remained to a great <player> of everything (styles & sound) made by help of software computer.

2 GB option has T5 (and probably T4 if we can put the 2 GB plate works, but I have not seen anyone have a 2 GB board); at Genos of the 2 GB, probably the 200 mega missing uses them for samples with which new internal tones are made.
It's kind of a T5 with more tones, another interface and more controllers on the face, plus some from s970 (DJ issues) and A3000 (joystick)

If it has the same creative style as the rest of their arrangers without Chord Variations (different formula for, at least, 7 and dim) we will have the same problem.
That's what I understand from the specifications: Style SFF and Style GE, that is, those that also support audio loops on the drum, so they have the same format for style, without CVs, although in their software you can define how many resumes you want, it's not like Korg, because instead of 48 midi tracks arranged in 6 resumes CV, they have 46 tracks, one drum + 45 for anything else in any kind CVs you want to define, provided you do not exceed the number of tracks, only that Yamaha do not release this software and I mean to give it to buy it, not to get it>
This was one of us, and it was interesting for me, maybe for you also!
Let see more Monday.

Regards
Mihai
Interesting facts on that internal SWPE70 chip and 512 polyphony capacity. Nice the new Genos has huge processing power and room to breathe and expand into the future.

Not sure how the Genos memory is going to be allocated, but that internal 2 GB board is most likely for expansion packs. Two GBs should be plenty, because my need for expansion voices will most likely diminish or overwhelmed with the new upgraded voices and drum kits added to the Genos, never mind the new feature of adding audio tracks. It would be nice to be able to use all previously purchased expansion packs from my Tyros models. The 200 MB missing is probably just for formatting and installed software on the 2 GB board. All internal Genos voice samples waves or custom expansion voices or drum kits made from internal Tyros sounds are not included in the 200 MB partition.

We'll see if non drum audio tracks will follow chords, but at least pitch and time stretch was confirmed in the specs. Even easy access into creating your own audio drum track would be cool. Previously, the Tyros 5 YEM did give us the capacity to create one's own REX audio drum style track, but limited to style Main variation "A"(and then could be copied over to other Main variations in Style Creator). Also would require some software work on your PC along with working with the YEM.

Yes, it would seem that Yamaha will give us some software options and maybe programs along side the YEM (Yamaha Expansion Manager) and Apple apps. I do prefer working with software for some Voice creation, but some on-board Genos creation features and deeper editing would be nice or even through an app. Not sure how Yamaha will tackle the more complex Voice Creator, but improvements to the on-board Song/Style/Multipad Creators would be welcomed, especially in light of that nice 9 inch touch screen.

Too bad a lot of forum members have to communicate through Google translate or other translating means, but always a joy hearing other people's views. Hopefully not too much is lost or misinterpreted in the translations. Marvelous that technology allows us to communicate around the world, just as music can be universal. 

Regards, Marcus

Marcus

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 03:25:52 PM »
Thats not how the technollogy works.

In the Montage, there was 8 GB sample memmory, from which 1.8Gb was reserved for the expansion sounds... the rest of the memmory was for build in sounds...

They made a step up from rom and ram sounds, everything resides in one place..  much like in modern day pc’s  ... thats under the hood....  in the os however you will not see much difference compared to the T5 with build in sounds and user sounds..

Biggest gain for user, low loading times for new samples

So what you are saying is, the 58 GB and 1.8 GB is partitioned from the same internal Genos memory. Probably a SSD. So if the Genos uses a similar YEM interface for expansion packs and voices, their will be no more reformatting of that 1.8 GB partition when new packs are installed? That would be nice. Still odd that Yamaha didn't make the Expansion memory an even 2 GB or even give us a generous 4 or 5 GBs.

Thanks,
Marcus   

Marcus

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »
No, the 58 gb is the build in hard disk(ssd)

The imternal memmory i guess will be the same as in the Montage so thats 8 GB, it will be used for system memmory, onboard samples and there will be 1.8GB reserved for user samples..

So the combined  8 GB internal memory with the 1.8 GB reserved for user samples is separate from the 58 GB ssd. Again, if the Genos uses a similar YEM system as the Tyros 5 for expansion memory using that 1.8 GB reserved partition, reformatting will not occur each time expansion packs or editing occurs via the YEM or do you think user samples are loaded to the Genos directly skipping the YEM system? Could be a big plus if reformatting does not occur and time saved.

Thanks again for your insight.
Marcus
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:05:26 PM by Marcus »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »
58 Gb built in drive seems very small as compared to the Tyros 5 500Gb. Hope we do not have to use USB sticks for storage as I prefer everything in one place.

Offline metcam

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »
I thing 58GB internal memory is same as 16MB on PSR S 770.970,A3000,

That is huge improvement.

External storage will be probably USB,,same as PSR-S keyboards.
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline EileenL

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »
Using USB sticks would be like taking a step backwards. The one thing I miss on my 970 is a hard drive.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »
And what about external hd's ?
When they are powered will they not work ?

Plse advise, Experts !

Thanks. 👋

Jeff

Offline Misu

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
Hi,

That 58 GB are instead of HDD or SDD and is on board (like micro SD on the back of new generation of Korg's)
I will be happy if will be not true.

Regards
Mihai

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
On audiokeys, someone tells us he played Genos this morning

(Cremone in Italy, a show for Classical instruments, this morning.He said Yamaha invited him to a private demo in a private room).
http://www.cremonamusica.com/

very good sound dynamic
very good orchestral sounds
16 velocity levels
"New feedback sound system" I don't understand... It concerns "whoofer sound or usage"

Conclusion : Overall better sound quality

He has a PA4X and indicates that Genos orchestral sounds are far better than PA4X ones

It was a beta version since Yamaha is currently modifying the user interface.

Difficult to know if it's real or not.

Soundphase

Kari V

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »
On audiokeys, someone tells us he played Genos this morning

(Cremone in Italy, a show for Classical instruments, this morning.He said Yamaha invited him to a private demo in a private room).
http://www.cremonamusica.com/

very good sound dynamic
very good orchestral sounds
16 velocity levels
"New feedback sound system" I don't understand... It concerns "whoofer sound or usage"

Conclusion : Overall better sound quality

He has a PA4X and indicates that Genos orchestral sounds are far better than PA4X ones

It was a beta version since Yamaha is currently modifying the user interface.

Difficult to know if it's real or not.

Soundphase

The "whoofer" is probably the subwoofer (which is efficient according to him).

You'll find the whole thing translated by Google here (message # 1033):

https://translate.google.fi/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiokeys.net%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%2F51101-Yamaha-GENOS%2Fpage104&edit-text=

Offline pjd

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
That's not how the technology works.

In the Montage, there was 8 GB sample memory, from which 1.8Gb was reserved for the expansion sounds... the rest of the memory was for build-in sounds...

Agree with Bachus. Folks, there's several different physical memory units in an arranger. Bachus is referring specifically to the waveform memory. The waveform memory directly feeds the tone generator (SWP70).

The 58GB internal drive, etc. is a separate unit from the waveform memory and other memory components/devices.

This discussion seems to be getting out ahead of hard information yet to be stated/released by Yamaha. I'm waiting to see how Yamaha specifies all of this and I'm also interested to see what kinds of memory management improvements they have made in YEM.

All the best -- pj

P.S. In the Montage, that's 8GB linear equivalent when the samples are uncompressed. The Montage waveform memory is 4GB physical. It gets confusing because user samples are uncompressed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:36:13 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2017, 06:29:49 PM »
https://translate.google.fi/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiokeys.net%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%2F51101-Yamaha-GENOS%2Fpage104&edit-text=

Hey, Kari, thanks for posting that link!

I never know who's opinion to trust when I wade into an unfamiliar forum. That's one reason why I keep coming back here. By now, we generally know who the trustworthy voices are, or not.

One yellow caution flag! The poster said that Yamaha was reluctant to discuss editing features. I'm not freaking out, but this is why I'm waiting for more official info from Yamaha. A manual would be great right about now.  :o There is still sooooooooo much that we don't know about this machine and it's all stuff that matters a lot to a skilled player.

I keep hoping for a leaked manual, but I think I can wait until Monday.  :D

All the best -- pj

Kari V

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2017, 06:49:18 PM »
Agree with Bachus. Folks, there's several different physical memory units in an arranger. Bachus is referring specifically to the waveform memory. The waveform memory directly feeds the tone generator (SWP70).

The 58GB internal drive, etc. is a separate unit from the waveform memory and other memory components/devices.

This discussion seems to be getting out ahead of hard information yet to be stated/released by Yamaha. I'm waiting to see how Yamaha specifies all of this and I'm also interested to see what kinds of memory management improvements they have made in YEM.

All the best -- pj

Of course this is speculating: this is what we are doing here all the time.

However, if I were to design the Genos HW, the first approach would be to combine the mentioned two flash memories into one in order to make it more cost efficient. Technology works as it's designed to work. Let's say that I'm a bit disappointed of the original wording.

The stated 58 GB "SSD" size is strange: usually SSD sizes come as powers of two. So the logical size would be 64 GB.

Misu said above:
<Genos uses internal SWPE70, a 16 GB internal NAND FLASH “tuner” with data rates of 780 Mb per second.>

So Yamaha appear to use the NAND Connector Specification Version 4.0 (of the ONFI): published on April 17, 2014, it introduced the NV-DDR3 interface and increases the maximum switching speed from 533 MB/s to 800 MB/s, providing a performance boost of up to 50% for high performance applications enabled by solid-state NAND storage components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_NAND_Flash_Interface_Working_Group

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2017, 07:21:54 PM »
16 velocity levels..
Can only be done if the main sound cosist out of 16 elements
That means that it actually consist out of 2 or more awm2 voices (which has 8 elemenst and so a max of 8 velocity levels)

So basically this could comfirm an early leak.
That each of the main sounds consist out of up to 4 awm2 sounds..
Bachus if you get to a Genos before me and as we both have PA4X I would be very interested to here your thoughts ...here or in the other place ... ;)
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 07:26:26 PM »
Never worry about space for samples or anything as a separate hard drive is all you need.
If people are performers In clubs , then just use what you need for that set ,and all other backed up to a hard drive.
I reckon the Genos will have plenty of headroom for the studio and performer 8)

People are worried about arpegiators WHY!!??   Use vst' s. Go great with the Genos or Tyros 5  skys the limit combinations :)
The Genos with those physical sliders and assignment s will blow you out of the water
The sounds will have to be better and going by Fred saying this thing is crazy the Genos Is a no brainer :o ;D

Or am I just ARPING ON!!!! ::)
What is the fuss with arps as all it means that you have to play a little more without them ,that's all, otherwise sit back and listen to Pink Floyd

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:39:24 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2017, 08:04:50 PM »
Tommy, i promised myself that i would only upgrade the pa4x if the new instrument could replace both the kronos as well as the pa4x..

Since the Genos will not have 88 keys, i would hve to break that promise, i dont think i am ready to break that promise yet..

Certainly not witouth having heared and played the Genos..
lol...I know how you feel ...well when you do I'm all ears  :)
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Marcus

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »
Tommy, i promised myself that i would only upgrade the pa4x if the new instrument could replace both the kronos as well as the pa4x..

Since the Genos will not have 88 keys, i would hve to break that promise, i dont think i am ready to break that promise yet..

Certainly not witouth having heared and played the Genos..

Why not keep the Kronos, upgrade the PA4X to the Genos, have the best arranger technology while having the best offerings of each brand and still having an 88 key board? You could still play Genos voices and sounds via MIDI with the Kronos.

I do understand your perspective that an 88 key Genos version would be a nice combination/compromise and easier on the pocket book with one board, however the more powerful compromise would be a Kronos/Genos combo, plus the names go nicely together.

Marcus