Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > DGX Portable Grand Pianos (DGX 620,630,640,650,660,670)

Will PSR-S970 Styles Work on a 660?

(1/4) > >>

Tresclub:
Just bought my Son a DGX-660.  So far, he really loves it.  Especially since it is an upgrade from his old DGX-520.
I have been playing PSRs for years, and have a score of different styles collected.  I'm wondering if there is any
chance any of these PSR styles might work on his 660?

Warren "Tresclub" Peters

Ed B:
Hi
I took a quick look at the manual and no the styles will not work directly. The styles used have only 2 variations A and B and the accompanied voices are XG lite. However, you may possibly be able to modify some of the styles to play by reducing them to 2 variations and editing the voices. Jorgen has a software package that can reduce the style size, Style ReMixer.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm
Voices can be changed using his Style Revoicer.
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/revsty/index.htm
Which is compatible with the DCX 650 and should work for 660
Hope this helps
Regards
Ed B

Tresclub:
Thanks Ed,  I really appreciate the reply.

Warren

DerekA:
Just to add to this, the 660 will just ignore variations C and D and it should try voice substitution, so you may get at least something without any modifications.

Small caveat, I believe there's a restriction on the file size - if the style file is too big, you'd need to remove C and D before it loads.

vbdx66:
Hello Warren,

The best thing to do is to put the styles on an USB stick and try to play them trough the DGX 660. Some will play fine, some will sound strange and will need some tweaking if you want to use them and some will not work at all, for instance if they are too big or contain mega voices etc.

I suggest that you write down which styles are working, which don't and which you are wiling to tweak. It is wise to delete the styles you don't want to keep because the DGX 650 can only accomodate 100 style files on one USB stick (you can store more of course but the DGX will only "see" the first 100 in alphabetical order).

The DGX will read files into folders so this can help you sort the styles by category.

If you like a particular PSR S970 style and you want to keep the 4 variations, you will have to use Style Remixer to "divide" your style into two new styles. For instance, if you have a style labelled "Rock" from the PSR S970, you can put intro 1 and ending 1 together with variations 1 and 2 in a new "Rock1" style, and put intro 2 and ending 2 as well as variations 3 and 4 in a new "Rock2" style. This way, you can achieve some variety.

And: just dig into the "Styles" section of the Website to find new styles for your son's DGX 660. Usually "older" keyboards styles will work, but sometimes there will be tempo or volume issues, just give it a try, for instance with styles for the PSR 740.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Vinciane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version