Author Topic: Can I connect T2 HD direct to computer and how  (Read 395 times)

Offline Scott Langholff

Can I connect T2 HD direct to computer and how
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:03:06 AM »
I am wondering if I can hook up my T2 HD direct to computer (not using the keyboard for this, just the HD) and transfer my files to computer?  If so how?

Offline XeeniX

Re: Can I connect T2 HD direct to computer and how
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:45:29 AM »
Hi Scott,

Hold down the musicfinder button on your keyoard while restarting the Tyros. When the Tyros is connected to your computer via USB the Tyros goes into disk mode and it's HD wil show up after a few minutes in Windows Explorer. You can now use it like any other HD. Keep in mind though that unlike the other HD's the Tyros HD will have it's file limitations once the Tyros is back to normal mode so don't copy too many files in one folder or use filenames that are too long when copying from pc to Tyros. Those won;t show up on yoru Tyros when operating normally. The other way around doesn't have these limitations since the disks are bound to the limitations that your computer's Operating System has.

The only other way would be to remove the HD physically from the Tyros and either connect.build it in an external HD casing or open up the pc and connect it with one of the internal HD cables if you have any free ones left inside. I wouldn't recommend it though it's a lot of work and, more important!, the chances of HD failure and/or Tyros/PC failure are high if you are no expert. If you still really want to do that follow the manual backwards to remove the disk from your Tyros https://www.manualslib.com/manual/196986/Yamaha-Tyros.html?page=162#manual How to hook up the disk on your pc internally depends on what computer you have.

regards,
Peter 8)

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline Scott Langholff

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:50:42 AM »
Thank you Peter, my T2 is not working properly anymore.  I'm lucky if I can start it by doing a hard reset while turning it off and on repeatedly.  So I was thinking about doing it direct from HD to computer but I sure don't want to create any issues, I guess it wouldn't be worth it, but in a sense it would be worth a try.  What kind of problems could I create this way?

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:31:00 AM »
Hi Scott,

A zillion depending on your skills I think. Varying from static electricity issues (ground yourself first) to broken wires and prints. And in the end, if you already know that your Tyros isn't working as it should, the results of all your labor may well result in still the same issues.

Just a strange question perhaps?: Why not attach an external hd to your Tyros instead by using one that is in an external casing with USB cable and connect that to your Tyros? Skipping the use of your internal HD that way. By doing that you will have similar or much bigger storage capabilities and will have no problems whatsoever switching the disk from Tyros to PC and vice versa for copying files. I do not know if the musicfinder on the Tyros 2 was already capable of storing an external path to the custom styles on an external diskdrive but that is something you can test by yourself very quickly. I know a saved registration can store external diskdrive but MF couldn't on a Tyros 1. I remember hooking up an external disk of 250 Gb I had lying around to my Tyros 1 that way when the small internal 2.5" 40 Gb harddisk was damaged and not working anymore. The Tyros works just fine without an internal disk.

regards,
Peter 8)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:37:05 AM by XeeniX »

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----