Author Topic: Odd voice effect.  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Arnak

Odd voice effect.
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »
Hi Folks,

I just wondered if anyone else had noticed a strange effect that I find is present on certain T4 voices, for example, the vintage amp preset.

Often, when I press a key the voice sounds but then when the next key is pressed the voice does not sound fully unless a small delay is left before pressing the key, then the note sounds correctly.

I do not have initial touch turned on and have tried changing the sustain on that voice to zero but that does not seem to make any difference.

That voice is used in the MFD song, "Silence is Golden".

Thanks for any help.

Martin

Offline jwyvern

Re: Odd voice effect.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »
Martin,
It's difficult to know from your description what type of effect you are getting. However when you have some types of effects applied to a voice it is possible to get distortion if you play 2 keys at once or if you do not change cleanly to the next note (eg. leaving it a little late to release the previous note.)
So try to play less legato if you can. You can also try turning on the Mono button with a voice that tends to distort in this unwanted way. Then the keyboard will only sound 1 note and no distortion even if you happen to clip 2 notes. I hope this is what you are referring to.
John

Offline Arnak

Re: Odd voice effect. ** Updated**
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:51:41 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply!

The problem is not a bad sounding note but a complete loss of volume to the extent that I do not hear the note. :(

I can try mono mode and see if that helps.

My attempts have been to slow down the tempo of the song but even at 100 bpm instead of 125 bpm the problem still exists.

It's a bit weird I know....

Update.

OK tried mono mode but it didn't make any difference.8-((

To see how it sounds, use the vintage amp, press a note, then hold it down and quickly press another note and I find that the second note usually only sounds at a lower volume.

No, that is not how I play it's just a test.8-))

Martin
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:14:33 PM by Arnak »

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »
Hi,
I occasionally have (maybe?) the same problem while playing the T5. To me it happens when using the sustain pedal. I'm using a M-Audio sustain pedal. I always thought that pedal might be the problem. Didn't test another brand of pedal yet so can't confirm it yet. As said, very occasionally, usually it wprks as intended. When it happens, it's either absolutely no sound at all while the next note acts normal again. Or the sound gets cut off after a micro second or so.  Stil trying to find out whether it is the pedal, my timing, the T5 or a combination of the above ;) Yesterday I noticed it while using a Piano library in NI kontakt as well. I owuld have blmaed that one on a timing problem since I don't use the absolute state of the art pc and hard disk but since it happens with The T5 build in samples as well....  Might be time to see if I can get my hands on another brand of pedal to test it with. Either that or buying an expansion pack for my foot and locomotion skills :p

regards,
Peter

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »
Hi Martin,

In the case of the 'Vintage Amp' voice on a T4, this is due to the Super Articulation aspect of the voice. Other voices also suffer from this issue.

If you load the voice then press the 'INFO' button (upper 8 ) on the selection screen, you will see the Information about the voice which includes the following:

Legato notes within an interval of a 4th sound as a hammer on, pull off, or slide

In fact on my T4, this only works if you play notes down to a 4th below the first note, but Yamaha don't mention that.

I personally think that many of these effects are overdone and become intrusive at times, since as you have found out, they usually involve a reduction in volume since the new note is not being retriggered from the start of the sample.  There is a setting in the CONFIG2 Utility menu which allows you to turn off the SA2 Auto Articulation effects, but this makes no difference to this S.Art. voice.

Since there seems to be no way to turn off these effects on S.Art. voices (which would be the best way!), all that I can suggest is that you try not to play legato anytime you don't want this effect to be triggered, but how many of us can play a fast riff totally cleanly? 

Certainly not me!  :'(

Regards

Ian

Offline Arnak

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:30:50 PM »
Hi Ian,

Well done. ;D

You described it perfectly!

That is exactly what I found to be the problem.

At least now I know it's not just me....

I will have to use a different voice for those type of song, that will solve the problem I'm sure. 8)

Martin