Author Topic: Pop Upright Piano by Midipirates  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Marcus

Pop Upright Piano by Midipirates
« on: May 06, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
Pop Upright Piano by Midipirates, Yamaha's latest expansion pack. Sampled from a Yamaha LU201c Upright Piano. With a
special combination of close and room microphone technique we achieved a recording that unifies the character of an Upright with the full body and brilliance of a Grand Piano.
With a maximum 320 MB of Samples and 15 Voices it is still reasonably sized considering you are getting up to an eight layer sample.

https://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/premium-packs-and-voices/midipirates-pop-upright-piano-t5

Personally, I think I'll wait to see what Yamaha will offer new on the next Tyros/Genos model. For those who can't wait, this is perhaps the best sounding piano expansion to date. Also check a couple of YouTube links I found below.

Midipirates PopUpright Piano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpY1Iw3Javg

Review & Demo: Pop Upright Piano Sound Expansion von den Midi-Piraten | Tyros 5 | S970 | S770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-EDeRHN14

Marcus

Re: Pop Upright Piano by Midipirates
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:45:58 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Marcus. I too am going to wait for the next generation Tyros.

It's sad we need to pay extra to get an up-to-date, decent piano sound - one of the primary instruments everyone uses, I'm sure. That piano voice is $129.99 plus the expansion board, plus all the taxes. I know the expansion board serves more purposes, but still... Add that to an already large investment of $6,000, and it gets ridiculous. For me, the only thing Yamaha needs for including a decent piano is extra memory. They've achieved the sampling and modelling part. Memory is cheap. Nord did it. Why not Yamaha?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:47:43 AM by Lee Batchelor »
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline Marcus

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Marcus. I too am going to wait for the next generation Tyros.

It's sad we need to pay extra to get an up-to-date, decent piano sound - one of the primary instruments everyone uses, I'm sure. That piano voice is $129.99 plus the expansion board, plus all the taxes. I know the expansion board serves more purposes, but still... Add that to an already large investment of $6,000, and it gets ridiculous. For me, the only thing Yamaha needs for including a decent piano is extra memory. They've achieved the sampling and modelling part. Memory is cheap. Nord did it. Why not Yamaha?
Hi Lee
Totally agree. Yamaha certainly milked out their Tyros platform, will respect to the physical design, features, memory, and expansion. A total redesign from the ground up has reached it's time. I'm sure a more compact design will be in order, with all the latest technology and memory requirements taken into account. I think Yamaha did a remarkable job with the Tyros series, and the Tyros 5 (being 3 years old) holds up well with the latest top end arrangers and present technologies. The Tyros 5 is still my top choice for my arranger keyboard needs.

Perhaps one advantage to Yamaha upgrading the Tyros platform over the years and incorporating new features and technology to it, is maybe keeping designing and production costs down. With technological advancements in modern design and memory, hopefully a totally new Tyros platform with still be inline with current competitive prices. Really excited to see what Yamaha comes up with in the new (Tyros/Genos) model. One rumor floating around is Yamaha is taking a new technological approach to their arranger styles (whatever that means).

My only requirements to upgrading to a new Tyros/Genos model is cost and compatibility to all my previous work. Even if Yamaha totally moves to a different style technology, it would be great if some form of conversion will be allowed with previous style content. Love Yamaha styles and how parts from any other suitable style can be reassembled. Ensemble and Organ World are great. Yes, "Piano World" on the Tyros needs attention. I'm firstly an organist, but I can understand anyone from a piano background would appreciate really good arranger piano voices. With perhaps the retirement of the Tyros platform, Yamaha will deliver.

The best piano expansion voice I have is this Studio Grand sample, I picked up along the way. It sounds more like an upright piano then a grand piano and not as good as the latest Yamaha Pop Upright expansion pack, but I can share the ppf file if anyone wants to try it. It is around 160mb in size. It was some free pack I downloaded a while back. I use it sometimes because it has a totally different sound characteristics to the Yamaha Tyros piano voices.     

Studio Grand.ppf
https://app.box.com/s/9cvqj5oeoh0yxjve4m3agacr451ms4mp

Regards, Marcus

Edit: I noticed I still had links on app.Box for a couple of UVN piano sample files. So those should work on both the Tyros 4 or through the Tyros 5 YEM. Don't remember them being particularly that great, but certainly usable.

NexusGrand.S002.UVN
https://app.box.com/s/jwwffnvaii3ph904u38mpbh4rl4qrk4x

ConcertSteinway.S012.UVN
https://app.box.com/s/mr41mww5khb0wjxp9qlzjvfdowj64cko
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:29:23 AM by Marcus »

The following users thanked this post: Stijn, Ed B, XeeniX, fikke, LarsMoss, Peter Hinsen

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
That new piano sample is very good, Marcus. Excellent comments too. It makes sense that the Tyros has seen its day. The rhythms are excellent but still sound canned compared to Band In A Box (BIAB) technology. I suspect the styles on the new machine will "mix it up" a bit just like BIAB. The voices are still the best on the planet. Yamaha really shines above them all in that department. To summarize, if they provide:
  • Several better pianos
  • BIAB type styles
  • Dedicated DAW software for creating our own songs and styles outside the atrocious on board sequencer
...I'd buy one :).
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
Glad to see someone mention Band In A Box.  I use it all the time, along with Yamaha arrangers, depending on the situation.  Yamaha could learn much from the BIAB Real Styles, in presenting arranger styles that sound authentic.  Maybe the next arranger generation will have something in that direction.  Maybe even professional players creating their own instrument parts in a style, rather than a keyboard player attempting to emulate all the other instrument parts.  And, how about real human voices in the choral styles?  I like to see that developed in the future.

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:31:54 AM »
I agree Yamaha make these kind of expansions way too pricey for what they are. It's the main reason I just don't invest in many expansions for my T5. This expansion is a perfect example of why that is.

For £105 you get one piano. Contrast this with something like Spectrasonics Keyscape (https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/keyscape/) which offers 36 unique 'collector keyboards' all beautifully super-sampled to astounding quality and it's easy to see why spending $399 on the latter makes more financial sense for a true keyboard enthusiast. Keyscape even integrates into Omnisphere as a plug-in (although it's also stand-alone) and then offers 2500 additional free voice patches through Omnisphere.

Just my opinion, of course, but I do resent Yamaha's high prices/low value proposition when it comes to expansions, compared to what else is out there.
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 04:43:45 AM »
Thank you Marcus for those three piano's, much appreciated! The T5 has finally arrived two days ago so I'm temporarily out of mind right now ;) I do find it a huge upgrade from my previous T4 for the quality of the voices although I realise not everyone would agree :) Also the separation of the voices and the reduced number of icons are nice. Did fiddle with Ensemble voices already but I think my playstyle is not tweaked for that kind of stuff yet.

Worked my way into YEM and the only thing that was a bit strange to me at least is that the expansion board is formatted each time you install a newly created PPI. Am I missing/overlooking something here?

I mean I install my expansion packs and now downloaded your piano's and need to add them in YEM then create an entirely new pack with all expansion packs + Piano shove it on the usb and formatting and slow loading starts all over again. Is there a way to avoid that and simply add the extra pack without needing to do the entire circus all over again?

Does for example a wireless usb connection solve that? If so than I will order one. Thanks in advance for any input on this matter :)

best regards,
Peter 8)

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline Marcus

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 05:12:01 AM »
Hi Peter
That's great you are enjoying your new Tyros 5. Yes, when I upgraded to my Tyros 5 from my Tyros 4, it was quite an upgrade into the new features and sounds.

You are correct about the YEM. It reformats each time you add sounds or expansion packs. Will make no difference if you upload through the wifi dongle method or USB. Kind of a pain at the beginning, but once you pretty much load all your stuff to the YEM, the expansion voices are immediately available when you turn on your Tyros each time.

To make most use of Ensemble as you learn your board, try using auto harmony with your Ensemble voices during style play to get the four part ensemble parts automatically. Then eventually get into and fool around with ensemble edit and user saves. Note that Ensemble voices will save into style OTS positions. So can automatically jump in and out of ensemble mode through OTS while using different style Main variations.

Piano voices aren't one of the Tyros strengths, but very authentic when used in the mix, in styles and multipads. Organ World is fantastic... really love the Classic organ samples.

Enjoy, Marcus

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 05:49:05 AM »
Thank you Marcus fr your insight in the use of Ensemble voices,

I'm still exploring the more common features and didn't get to editing and saving Ensemble voices yet. Didn't even look at organ world yet and only made my first moves on the new dsp/amp/effects department :) So enough stuff to explore and enjoy for the next months.

My Tyros 5 didn't have a wireless dongle when it arrived. I heard from several people here that one should be in the box and I just checked again to see if I missed it but no USB dongle was inside. So i just called the shop and asked if there should be one included. Could be with the latest deals that they removed it from the standard package perhaps and instead added the 2 expansion packs. Or perhaps there isn't one included in the Netherlands. Guess I will know since the shop promised to inquire. If there isn't one included I at first wanted to order one but I do not like the pricing of €77 that much :) and if it doesn't matter anyhow since the expansion board gets formatted regardless then it would only make sense for me to order one if I would want to use iOs apps like regfinder and the likes which I probably will not in the near future.

regards,
Peter 8)

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 07:23:52 AM »
Oh and btw Marcus I just loaded the 3 new piano voices. They are absolutely stunning compared to the preset ones. The Studio Grand is very nice but the Steinway I like even better since it comes pretty close to one of the Best Service Steinway legacy piano libraries I heard :)

best regards,

Peter

-----
-----

Offline entertain70

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 01:21:23 AM »
Hi Marcus!
Thanks for your work, but I can't download the files from box. When I hit the "download button" nothing happens? Thanks!

Joe
Yamaha T5-76 | S90ES | Roland A800pro | Mainstage

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 04:53:49 AM »
"Oh and btw Marcus I just loaded the 3 new piano voices. They are absolutely stunning compared to the preset ones."

Very glad to hear that Yamaha produced some good pianos for the T5. It still infuriates me that we must pay extra big dollars to get decent piano voices that should have been included with the most expensive arranger on the planet!! For me, the piano voice is the "anchor" voice on any keyboard. All the other T5 voices are amazing, but the piano voices barely measure up to the cheapest keyboards sold at Walmart.

Offline Marcus

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 05:12:54 AM »
Hi Marcus!
Thanks for your work, but I can't download the files from box. When I hit the "download button" nothing happens? Thanks!

Joe
Hi Joe
I just tried the share links, and you are correct, nothing happens. I then logged in to my account and the download worked. So I am not to sure what is going on with Box. It used to work that anyone can download from the share link.

Either Box changed their policies or some temporary issue with the site. Maybe try again later. However, when I logged in to my account I was able to download. Sign up is free for a limited amount of cloud space. I know this sharing service is popular with forum members to share their audio files and larger size files, but up to you if you want to sign up, log in, and try downloading again.......or wait for the issue to perhaps resolve over time. Sorry this is happening. This is the second day my son couldn't log into his Hotmail account, so who knows what goes on with the internet from time to time.  :o

Regards, Marcus

Offline Marcus

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
"Oh and btw Marcus I just loaded the 3 new piano voices. They are absolutely stunning compared to the preset ones."

Very glad to hear that Yamaha produced some good pianos for the T5. It still infuriates me that we must pay extra big dollars to get decent piano voices that should have been included with the most expensive arranger on the planet!! For me, the piano voice is the "anchor" voice on any keyboard. All the other T5 voices are amazing, but the piano voices barely measure up to the cheapest keyboards sold at Walmart.
Hi Lee
Maybe a bit harsh comparing the Tyros 5 pianos to a cheapest keyboards at Walmart, but I do understand your point. Apparently the Tyros pianos samples were based off of an earlier Clavinova model and could use some major updating, like adding the newer piano room feature. This doesn't mean you cannot tweak or improve upon the default Tyros 5 piano voices. To me, there are still pretty good. I think the biggest improvement is using a weighted key controller to get the more authentic action and feel to the piano playing and digital translation from the resulting sampled piano voice or the better you play on the Tyros keybed, the better the resulting piano sound would be.

I am not from a piano background, so I must rely on tweaking the default Tyros 5 piano sounds to my liking or within the resulting mix of my performance or recording. The key to most digital samples or voices to sound more authentic is mimicking the ambient environment (use of DSPs) and modeling the voices characteristics and playing techniques (MEGA, SA, SA2 voices). For piano voices, beyond your own playing techniques and feel, is perhaps mimicking the ambience of the particular piano or environment. The default Tyros 5 piano voices are pretty bland with mostly just a minimal amount of Hall 1 reverb and similar.

If were to call up a default piano voice for Right 1, it sounds fairly bland and lifeless. If were to press the DEMO button (which auditions the voice), it suddenly sounds a bit more alive. A higher level of DSP is being given to the piano voice then from the default call up from within the demo itself. If memory serves correctly, I think you were able to go into the Mixing Console of the Tyros 4 and actually find and copy these settings. Also Yamaha backed off the overall level of DSP effects added to the Tyros 5 sounds compared to the Tyros 4, however many more different quality DSPs and Guitar Amp effects were added to the Tyros 5.

For me, none of this matters because I pretty much tweak and adjust every voice, style, and multipad to my liking, including the piano voices. It is the quality of the DSP effects that really matter to the default samples and Yamaha really delivers on the Tyros 5. One of the absolute best new Tyros 5 DSP is the Real Reverb. This one DSP effect kills all the other Reverbs for quality and authenticity. Any ambient environment, room, stage or large halls can be reproduced with the Real reverb. Virtually all my voices, drum kits, styles, MIDIs, registrations and multipads were reworked with Real Reverb DSP replacing the default reverb blocks in the Tyros 5 Mixing Console. Particularly good adding Real reverb to Organ World and Ensemble. Nothing compares to that out there, whether keyboard or VTSs.

This of course, really helps bring life to the Tyros 5 piano sounds. The Tyros 5 piano voices in themselves are not that bad. What Yamaha failed to do was optimize the default piano voices or settings in each of the preset voices. Maybe the theory being, it is easier to add effects to a default voices, then trying to reduce the effects to your liking. Perhaps that's why Yamaha backed off the DSP levels on the Tyros 5 to give it a more live sound, compared to the more polished processed sound from the Tyros 4.

Again, personally I tweak everything to my personal liking. Piano voices are easily tweaked in Sound Set or Mixing Console (harmonic content, brightness, chorus, second DSP effect, EQ, or my favorite, Real Reverb. One may argue, why would anyone expect to have to do this on a high end arranger, but my view is, you would want to expect an arranger to allow you to customize your sounds with all these settings. I am sure Yamaha will improve the Piano voices on the next model, but we can still improve upon the existing Tyros 5 voices with customization to our liking. The Tyros 5 piano voices still sound quite authentic to me, but I do tweak them, as most other sounds to optimize the qualities I am looking for or happy with. The Tyros 5 is still my top choice in an arranger, period.

Here are some mp3 demos with simple tweaks to some of the default Tyros 5 piano voices, of course promoting the Real Reverb DSP.  The GrandPiano(Live)T5.mp3 is the default Tyros 5 piano voice. It sounds bland with minimal Hall 1 reverb effect added to it. I tweaked it to add life, brightness, and the better Real Reverb effect added to produce the GrandPiano(Live)T5+RealReverb.mp3 (see below). Lastly, I added similar effects to the default PianoOrchestra voice, which I like using most of the time as my usual piano voice. I don't use a sustain pedal, so the added string effect helps when I sustain certain notes. For actual piano players using a Tyros arranger, I think tweaking the existing piano voices plus added a weighted key controller would give you the best results for solo playing. Looking forward to what Yamaha offers or improves on the next Tyros/Genos model.

Marcus

GrandPiano(Live)T5.mp3
https://app.box.com/s/w961hk1kftds8zgh5fpuspaim2ssw3rp

GrandPiano(Live)T5+RealReverb.mp3
https://app.box.com/s/qyiewqmwxbp7q7g0uuwxvkal8a4b7ql6

PianoOrchestraT5+RealReverb.mp3
https://app.box.com/s/drdhtz5ei3yvflxkbdssjoui283zq5fn

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »
Wow, great reply...thanks Marcus!

I have never attempted to re-work the piano voices. I'm kind of a "play it out of the box" type of player. It makes sense that Yamaha gives us the bare bones sounds to which we can apply all kinds of effects and EQs. I assume we can save the new piano voice as a custom voice? If so, I will certainly mess around with the effects and such.

The other huge variable is the type of speakers used. I'm using two Bose Compacts for public performance, which gives me stereo at least. I really appreciate the enormous effort and time you spent on your reply. Best...

Offline entertain70

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 04:15:19 AM »
Hi Marcus!
Still couldn't donwload the files, even when I'm logged in. Is there any chance to upload them again, maybe any other cloudspace like dropbox...

P.S. I'm always looking for good piano-sounds and settings. They don't have to sound very real like a Boesendorfer, but must consist in the live mix!

Joe

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 04:52:40 AM »
I agree with Marcus that voices can be greatly enhanced with a little tweaking in voice set and then saved as user files so they are easily found.
  I always say my keyboard in like a Blank Canvas waiting for me to paint my own picture on it.

Offline Marcus

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
Hi Marcus!
Still couldn't donwload the files, even when I'm logged in. Is there any chance to upload them again, maybe any other cloudspace like dropbox...

P.S. I'm always looking for good piano-sounds and settings. They don't have to sound very real like a Boesendorfer, but must consist in the live mix!

Joe
Hi Joe
Sorry that you still cannot download the files. My basic Dropbox account limit is maxed out, so I don't want to fool around with large files and mess that up. Perhaps you can try a few of the following suggestions to get the downloads from Box to work.

Common Issues with Downloading Files

If you are encountering problems downloading files from your Box account, we recommend you try:

-Updating your browser to the latest version
-Clearing your browser's cache
-Using Box with an alternate browser, computer or network
-Temporarily disabling any internet security/firewall programs to test whether they conflict   with Box (note: you may need clearance/assistance from your organization’s IT department/helpdesk to do this)
-Updating Adobe Flash: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html
-Updating Java: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1
-Disabling any plugins on your browser

In my opinion, these expansion piano samples are not any better quality than the Tyros 5 pianos, but have totally different tonal qualities. Hope you can get the downloads to work so you can at least try them. When I owned previous Tyros and PSR arrangers, I connected my Yamaha MU100r Tone Generator (via MIDI) to get additional expansion voices, pianos, and drum kits. The Yamaha MU series including the Motif was capable of adding expansion cards. My two favorite expansion cards was the PLG-150AP (acoustic piano expansion) and the PLG-150DR (drum kit expansion). Check out this YouTube link for an example of the Acoustic Piano expansion card.

PLG150-AP PIANO YAMAHA PLUG-IN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HleOUqLywdk

With the latest Tyros 5 sounds, voices, pianos, drum kits, and Audio Styles along with the latest DSPs, I no longer found the need to use my MU100r. However, as pointed out earlier, I still tweak the voices and sounds to customize what I want. I have my 1 GB flash memory maxed out with all other expansion voices I need and I am quite happy with my stand alone Tyros 5 and the on board piano voices. I do understand someone from a piano back ground to want really good piano voices, just as I would enjoy good organs and organ voices from a organist back ground.

Yamaha did an awesome job with Organ World on the Tyros 5, but we could use an equally good Piano World or Piano Room feature. Midipirates does offer this high quality Pop Upright expansion pack, but instead of adding expansion voices or another keyboard, standalone modules can still make a pretty good and affordable solution to your arranger keyboard expansion. Some pretty good piano apps as well that can run and be connected to your Tyros.

I have a good feeling these issues will be addressed in the next Tyros/Genos model, but still an affordable add-on module could make sense to stretch out your present arrangers capability. I used my MU-100r for over 20 years and still sits in my home studio with various expansion cards. The best current module unit I heard dedicated to piano voices is the V3 Grand Piano. Here are the specs:

V3 Grand Piano SOUNDS OVERVIEW

Grand Piano - Vienna Imperial 290
    Grand Piano - Hamburg Model D

You also receive a collection of high-quality E-piano sounds.

V3 GRAND PIANO
- MIDI HARDWARE TONE GENERATOR
TOP SOUND AND TECHNOLOGY IN PIANO MODELLING

The third generation of our MIDI tone generator creates an open, lively and authentic sound, just like a real concert piano. The unmistakable timbre of two exclusive grand pianos await you, equipped with the latest in piano modelling algorithms: Imperial 290 of Vienna and Model “D,” constructed in Hamburg.

GRAND PIANO MODELLING ALGORITHM

When you press the sustain pedal, the dampers move up and away from the strings to let them resonate freely. This function, which produces a huge sound on the acoustic instrument, is supported by our new layer algorithm.
   - Sympathetic resonance – passive string resonance
   - 4 time-dependent Note-Off samples – the note’s end is an important parameter in lending the sound its size.
   - Sustain pedal "grabbing": Press the sustain pedal after you release to extend the resonance of the strings.
   - Sustain pedal - On/off noise
   - Sustain pedal - HALF PEDAL - use a continuous controller pedal to get different sustain length like on a real piano.
    This feature is a must have for any pianist.
    Use a continuous pedal like ROLAND DP-10 on the PEDAL-IN of our unit.

V3 Grand Piano - Model Vienna (Classic Waltz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0C1wuaAKQ&list=PL6Y_PTK98HhcT-HEW4uYEklNwjYFt8DjN&index=2

The above features and detail is something Yamaha should of included in an additional Piano Room type feature in the Tyros 5, but perhaps in the next model. Anyway, I like the affordability in an expansion module or Tone Generator, but personally don't need one now with my Tyros 5. Adding newer or latest Tyros 5 expansion piano voices or a dedicated piano module could work for some people, but I am going to place my bets or saving up my money for the next Tyros model. Even then, any previous purchased expansion voices or dedicated sound module would still work with a new Tyros/Genos arranger.

Regards, Marcus

Offline entertain70

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 01:49:50 AM »
Hi Marcus!
Download worked now (still don't know why). Thank you!