Author Topic: Importing sty & mid files to the T3 HDD.  (Read 618 times)

Importing sty & mid files to the T3 HDD.
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:13:26 AM »
Hi,
I recently bought a used T3 and can honestly admit that it is the best instrument that I have ever owned. For many years I've been aware of the Tyros' reputation and basically an opportunity arose which was just too good to refuse, so I went for it! I'm getting used to they way things work on the T3 and I'm fine with instruction / user manuals, however my first question is about importing files. With regard to style and midi files, how many can I import to a folder? There seems to be a limit to the quantity, as I keep getting a 'Too many files' error message when I attempt to transfer from my laptop or a USB drive. What would be an appropriate number of files per folder or sub-folder? I could then sort them on the laptop and transfer the lot to the HDD on the T3. Hope I'm making sense!  :)
Keyboards: Tyros 3, Roland E-70.

Organs: Yamaha HS8, Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S.

Offline EileenL

Re: Importing sty & mid files to the T3 HDD.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:38:35 AM »
I believe on Tyros 3 it was 250 per folder on hard drive.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:59:29 AM »
Many thanks, Eileen. Will let you know how I get on . . .

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:21:18 AM »
The file limit on a Tyros3 is actually 500 per folder!  (see note on page 33 of the 'Tyros3 Owner's Manual')

This limit is the same as my T4, however I find that as you approach this number in a folder, access to the folder slows down considerably, so it is probably better to set your own notional limit a little lower than 500.   On my T4, 400 files does not slow things down significantly.

Note that the 500 limit actually applies to the number of displayable objects in a folder, which includes all files of the type relevant to a selection screen (eg. Style files in the Style selection screen), plus any sub folders in a folder (whatever type of files they may contain).

Note that you may well get an error message if you try to transfer too many folders at once, even if each individual one contains less than the maximum allowed.

You can get around this by connecting your T3 to a computer via USB in so called 'USB Storage Mode' as explained on page 97 of the Owner's Manual.   Although the section in the manual specifically refers to Wave files and Song files, you should be able to see/manage/transfer any type of file when connected like this! 

When connected correctly, the T3 internal HD should show up in Windows Explorer or whatever the Windows 10 equivalent is.   It can take a while (even a few minutes) to connect, but when (if!) it does, the drive should appear under 'Computer' in Explorer, like a removable USB drive does for example.  Once you can see it you can then manage files on it just like any other drive, and although the individual folder limit will still apply on the T3, you can transfer as many folder and their contents as you like in one go without 'upsetting' the Tyros OS   :'(.

This method is also useful for backing up the T3 internal HD.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:25:16 AM by tyrosaurus »

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:36:38 AM »
Oops! I missed the small print in the 'Notes' on the side of the page!  :-[

You're quite right Ian the file qty limit is 500 per folder, and I agree that 400 would be the optimum. I have successfully connected the laptop to the T3 and transferred files without issue, so all good!

A few further questions; why was the 'Special Site' taken down and is it still possible to get Premium Packs for the T3? Is the LAN internet connection on the T3 now redundant? My understanding is that the primary function of the internet connectivity was to purchase and download Premium Packs, styles etc. As far as I'm aware the Special Site no longer exists, so can the internet connection be re-purposed for other functions? Sorry to ask so many questions!

Cheers,

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:30:44 AM »
The IDC site has been closed for a while now as it did not get that much use I believe. You now need to go th the Yamaha Music Soft site for purchases.