Author Topic: External control from DAW  (Read 384 times)

Offline scenario

External control from DAW
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
Hi there,
I'm trying to control the left hand auto section of a PSR-E453 from Logic Pro DAW, but cannot get the keyboard to respond
I want to be able to punch in the chords individually on logic and then let it play the psr.
I have done this on other models (keyboards) but cannot get it to work on this one
Control channel is usually CH 1, but no response there!.
Any ideas, or have I bought the wrong keyboard?
Thanks

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: External control from DAW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »
I don't think anyone has figured out how to do that yet-- if it's even possible.

On other models (PSR-S and Tyros) there are MIDI settings which let you assign an incoming MIDI channel to the style control, but there are no such settings on the PSR-E453's menu.

Other models can also use XG SysEx messages related to style control, but those messages don't seem to work on the PSR-E453, possibly because it uses XGlite rather than XG per se.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline scenario

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »
Mmm. Just as I thought. I had a look at the MIDI spec. chart and there is no mention there. The unit does receive bank change messages but that doesn't help with this situation I guess I will just have to get better at playing!!
Thanks

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »
If I understand what you're trying to do-- automate the auto accompaniment-- one thing you can do is record a User Song of yourself playing just the chord changes and section changes of the style. Then you can play back the User Song and play the main parts of the song using both hands.
Michael Rideout

Offline tnicoson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
I suspect that this is a trait common to most or all arranger keyboards that will not record MIDI from an external source.  That is to say, all incoming MIDI data is applied solely to the sound module and not to the sequencer/recorder or the arranger section.  I used to be able to set up Band-in-a-Box to output chords only and send its output to either of my Roland arranger keyboards or my RA-50 Real Time Arranger module and it worked great, but I have never been able to do that with the PSR-E433 nor any of my Casio CTK/WK arrangers and none of them can record MIDI from an external source.  That ability used to be a defacto standard for most models over a few hundred dollars (not sure if the PSR-E4X3 line would have been included in that, but the EW400 probably would have been), but its demise is probably as much hardware cost savings as it is O.S. software savings.  I really do not have that much need for it anymore, but I have a feeling that has more to do with my adaptation to it just not being there anymore.  It would really be nice to know its there, in case it is ever needed.  If it were still there, I would probably use it almost as much now as I used to.  It was a really quick and dirty way to generate a chord progression that would use your arranger keyboard's styles instead of Band-in-a-Box's.  Oh well!  Signs of the times, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:56:25 PM by tnicoson »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 05:33:25 AM »
One thing that's frustrating is that the PSR-E453 and its siblings do, in fact, use MIDI messages for selecting a style, section, and chord, but the messages can't be streamed remotely from a DAW. When the auto accompaniment is recorded in a User Song, the keyboard records MIDI messages that select the style, section, and chord, not the actual style playback itself. But the messages are Sequencer-Specific Meta events, which can be used in MIDI files but can't be transmitted over a MIDI connection. (The status byte for a Meta event-- FF-- is a System Reset message when it occurs in a MIDI data stream.)
Michael Rideout