Author Topic: PSR3000 - time to be retired  (Read 582 times)

Offline mikf

• Global Moderator
  • PSR 3000 : Yamaha CP33 : Shigeru Grand : CVP705
PSR3000 - time to be retired
« on: March 11, 2017, 07:08:59 AM »
What a great keyboard the 3k was. Bought mine when they came out about 12 or 13 years ago, and it still looks and plays great. Over the years I have combined it first with a controller and later with a Yamaha stage piano and portastudio to make a kind of portable Clavinova CVP.  I never upgraded because I never felt the model to model improvements were worth the trouble. But since we are moving house, my wife has demanded I get rid of the mess of wires,mixers and stands and get something that looks neater. So yesterday I bought a new CVP605. I liked the CVP709 but the dealer had so deeply discounted the 605 to clear it, I couldn't turn it down. I do already own a CVP which I really like, but it's at my other house in Scotland, so it will be nice to have the same keyboard here.
 I can't bring myself to just throw out two perfectly good keyboards so I will try to find a local church or school or something that can use them.
Mike

Offline travlin-easy

Re: PSR3000 - time to be retired
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
Congratulations, Mike. The PSR-3000 was a great keyboard, a real workhorse that served many of us well for more than a decade. I still have one of mine in the office, but it has not been played since I purchased the S-950.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline mikf

• Global Moderator
  • PSR 3000 : Yamaha CP33 : Shigeru Grand : CVP705
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 02:47:24 PM »
There was a postscript here. Before it was delivered I got to thinking - why am I buying the older model just to save a few dollars? So I went back to the dealer and spent a while re-testing all the models side by side. At the end of this, I changed my mimd and bought the CVP705, mainly because I really liked two features that were not on the 605 - the Bosendorfer sample and the new Session Mode. The Session Mode in particular is a very neat feature, that seems to just have been designed for how I like to play the arranger. The 709 got ruled out because my wife did not like the different, more open look, and because for the life of me I could not detect much difference in playing it over the 705, despite the big price tag increase.  It seems to mainly come from the more expensive action, and maybe I am just not a good enough player to notice the difference. Probably a top of the line concert pianist would notice, but then would they be buying this keyboard?? Anyway  am happy that I changed to the 705. Get it on Tuesday.
I probably should have posted this in the Clavinova section since it has become more about the CVP than the 3k!
Mike

Offline voodoo

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:22:11 AM »
Well done. I would also not get the older model to save a few dollars. 

I have upgraded my S950 to get a S970 for some amount of . But it was worth it.

Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:54:39 AM »
mikf. Look at it this way the model you have purchased will last many..many years so the increase in price difference will lost in that time.
T2 + NP30