Author Topic: Legacy Voice Position?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Arnak

Legacy Voice Position?
« on: March 09, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have a number of voices that I have downloaded in the VCE extension, which I suspect are from an earlier Tyros version.

What I am attempting to do is to use the VCE file to see if the modified voice that I have will work with the T4.

Checking the midi VCE file I see a change event to 64 soprano sax.

On checking the legacy file data list I see that there is a soprano sax but I cannot see where the 64 part comes in.

Can anyone help with what that number 64 is indicating please? ::)

Martin

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Legacy Voice Position?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
Hi Martin,

The '64' is the Yamaha program change number which is used along with the MSB and LSB values to access a voice.

In the data list you will find the voice listed as 'SopranoSax'  MSB: 000 LSB: 112  PG: 65.

This is because Yamaha insists on using a range of 1 to 128 for some MIDI parameters rather than the 0 to 127 used by everyone else on the planet!  Then they have to explain this in some the lists and manuals.  I see that in the Data List for the latest keyboards, they actually head the PG column in the Voice Lists with 'PC# (1128)', but presumably they couldn't be bothered to do this for earlier boards!    ::)

So the actual MIDI value for the legacy 'SopranoSax' voice is MSB: 000,  LSB: 112, PG: 64, which is why you see in the the VCE data as '64' rather than Yamaha's confusing '65'.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:38:24 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Arnak

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »
Hi tyrosaurus,

Well you learn something every day. ;D

Thanks very much for that information, brilliant!

I wonder why they decided to adopt that numbering, very strange....

Martin

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 04:32:16 AM »
About the Program Numbers, as odd as it seems, if you go to MIDI.org and look at their documents, 1 - 128 is the same numbering that the MIDI Manufacturer's Association uses, at least when referring to them in a human setting, even though they're actually numbered 0 - 127 inside the messages.

It's the same with the channel numbers-- the MMA refers to them as 1 - 16, even though they're actually numbered 0 - 15 inside the messages.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »
That's why computer scientists always start counting from zero.  8)
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D