Author Topic: When does a playing style change chord  (Read 737 times)

Offline TyrosPhil

When does a playing style change chord
« on: March 07, 2017, 02:00:59 AM »
I have been watching some youtube videos of tyros players, especially those using styles (I think), and have convinced myself that, in some cases, they are only "touching" the chord/accp lower section of the keyboard for an instant and before the bar end.  The touch/play seems silent but, importantly, the chord struck does not seem to change until the end of the current bar.
The effect seems to be that the style chord then changes at the beginning of the next bar.
Try as I might I cannot find if this is true or how to do it, either on my Tyros 2 or in the computer-based style editor.
Whenever I play, if I change chord mid-bar, the style root/chord changes immediately.

I have my accp fingering set to multi-fingered so I realise that I can only change the chord when I play a full chord and this leaves me free to play sequences or arpeggios with my left hand as well.
Am I missing some trick somewhere that allows you to "set up" the chord root for the next bar, mid current bar?
Current: Tyros 2, PSR-E433, MK49 and PSR 140
Ex: Yamaha PF80, Roland D10, Roland EM-101 and Yamaha RX17
Very Ex: Farfisa Soundmaker

Offline Bill

Re: When does a playing style change chord
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:44:36 AM »
Hi Phil

The feature is in the Functions set up, you can select next bar or instantly - see below,  also to keep the chord going you need to activate LH Hold.

Bill

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:47:26 AM by Bill »
England

Tyros 5/76

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:05:45 AM »
Also remember that lots of music has more than one chord change in the bar. Some will have four if using piano music. Most of my keyboard music has two chords per bar and that is what keeps it interesting for the listener.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »
The feature is in the Functions set up, you can select next bar or instantly - see below,  also to keep the chord going you need to activate LH Hold.

The following relates to my Tyros4.  I suspect that things are just the same on other Yamaha arrangers too.

The chord always changes immediately when a new chord is detected, wherever this may be in the bar. This is the same whatever fingering type you use.  I am not aware of any setting to change this!

I assume that the function setting that Bill referred to is 'OTS LINK TIMING', but this only affects when OTS changes occur when triggered by changing the style section with the 'OTS Link' button on.  It does not affect the timing of chord or style section changes!

The 'LEFT HOLD' button button only relates to the 'LEFT' main voice part, and has no effect on the style accompaniment at all!  Once started, the style accompaniment will play continuously until you stop it by some means, tracking chord changes in real time, whether the 'LEFT HOLD' button is on or off!

The style section changes at the beginning of the next bar, unless you select the new section while the beat counter is still showing '1',  whereby it changes immediately!  This is also the case if the style section is changed by a registration.

At normal tempos, it may not be easy to pinpoint exactly when changes actually occur after pressing a button, so slowing the style down can make things easier to see.  You can check it out for yourself if you select a style, drop the tempo right down to 30 or so, turn on the 'OTS LINK' button, and start the style playing. 

This makes it much easier to see and follow the time of chord changes, OTS changes and style section changes.  I also turn off the 'AUTO FILL' button to avoid confusion when checking the style section changes.   

Watch the style section buttons, the OTS buttons, and the Chord indicator and Beat indicator on the Main display to see what happens when you play different chords and change style sections at different points within a bar.

Regarding what you have seen in YouTube videos, bear in mind that the sound is not always perfectly synchronised with the video!  Perhaps that is what you have seen?

Regards

Ian

Offline TyrosPhil

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
Thanks Ian,
I think you have nailed it and confirmed my understanding (The root of the style changes immediately a new chord is detected) and I totally agree with Eileen in that this is necessary to permit chord variations within the bar.
On my own Tyros I have a second USB midi keyboard in the "organ" position and have this playing Right 3 but also set to detect the chord, giving me greater flexibility.

The reason for asking is that, being somewhat behind the times I have just watched Lord of the Rings for 1st time and discovered "Into the West" by Annie Lennox (see the stunning Youtube Oscar performance 2004).
As opposed to the many piano covers, any realistic Tyros cover would use the 12-stiring and Harp arpeggios, and, although I can play one of them live, thought it would be a good opportunity to create a style, especially as the synched arpeggios are inverted (guitar like, not piano like, but starts on the high note) for the guitar and descending for the harp.
No problem so far, Each 8-note arpeggio conveniently is the same and lasts a bar.
The problem, and note my inexperience here, is that because of the high start, I keep mentally re-synching my bar, and therefore the chord change, to the second, low note.
I was watching a few YouTube videos and could clearly see some players fingering the chord early in the previous bar, and letting go! (although I agree this could be video/sound sync issues) so was looking to see if this could be done.
i.e preparing the chord for the next bar anytime after the start of the current.
Not as far as I can see.
Although it would be nice little add-on function to have. ;)
Phil

Current: Tyros 2, PSR-E433, MK49 and PSR 140
Ex: Yamaha PF80, Roland D10, Roland EM-101 and Yamaha RX17
Very Ex: Farfisa Soundmaker

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »
Phil - I think you basically have it right, but what is programmed to play in the style also makes a difference. For example, lets say the bass note only plays on the 1st and 3rd beat of the bar, then i think that playing the new chord on the 4th beat of the bar would not result in the change in bass until the next bar.
Mike