Author Topic: Montage vs tyros 5 sound  (Read 1415 times)

Amxf5 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bushmanjones

Montage vs tyros 5 sound
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:22:33 AM »
Has anyone played or owned montage keyboard.  Just wondering if the "PAC" pure analog circiut makes the montage sound better then the tyros 5.  Because I think that the tyros 5 sounds better than motif xf, but maybe not the montage.  What do u guys think.

Offline Bachus

Re: Montage vs tyros 5 sound
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:56:54 AM »
Has anyone played or owned montage keyboard.  Just wondering if the "PAC" pure analog circiut makes the montage sound better then the tyros 5.  Because I think that the tyros 5 sounds better than motif xf, but maybe not the montage.  What do u guys think.

The sounds are mastered and mixed differently...  because in general they are used for different types of music... 

The newer samples (most old samples come from motif and tyros) are huge in size, they are mostly used in the new presets and definetely sound great, espescially piano and epiano..

However, where it comes to acoustic brass and winds, Monatge does not have the SA2 voices nor supports the sa2  technollogy...

Same goes for the Organ world organs, as well as the ensemble sounds...

Where Montage really shines is the dsp, you have 2 DSP effects for every voice... on top of that you can layer up to 8 voices (they are called channels not voices in the montage) where you can only layer 3 in the tyros...

Hope this helps explaining the differences in sound a little.. and oossibly explains why you as a typical arrnager player like the tyros5 sounds better... mostly because your ears are used to the final mastered sounds of the tyros...
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:14:36 AM »
Yes I think you are either an arranger played of a work Station person. To me the two are totally different animals and if you play out live solo as a lot of us do then the arranger is better I feel.

Offline bushmanjones

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 05:36:01 AM »
Ty guys for the info, but I what I really meant is that is the "pac" pure analog circuit a feature that the tyros doesn't have, and if so does it really matter?
Above 3. Streamlined workflow

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/montage/#tab=feature

Offline maartenb

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:40:23 AM »
I think it matters, but how much, I don't know.

The idea behind the PAC is very good. It seperates the digital noisy domain from the analog domain. Digital circuitry is barely impacted by noise, but in the analog world (like your ears) noise is an undesired "sound".

I don't know if Yamaha designed the PAC out of necessity (the noise floor of the analog outputs of the Montage was unacceptably high (maybe because of higher clock speeds of the new SWP70 tone generator?)), out of financial needs to bring down costs (the PAC board is designed once and can then be used on all kinds of high-end instruments) or out of their desire to continuously improve their instruments.

The Tyros 5 is already very quiet noise wise, so I doubt you will hear a difference. Maybe with a headphone?

The perceived sound quality has more to do with the choice of the samples, the sample time length, things like SA2 and DSPs than with PAC, I believe.

Hopefully Paul (pjd) will chime in. He has much more knowledge than me in this area. On his site sandsoftwaresound.net he writes about the PAC:

Pure Analog Circuit is probably the least understood and least appreciated feature of the Montage. It’s not just better DACs, people. The high speed digital world is very noisy as far as analog audio is concerned. Yamaha separated the analog and digital worlds by putting the DACs and analog electronics on their own printed circuit board away from noisy digital circuits. Yamaha then applied old school engineering to the post-DAC analog circuitry, paying careful attention to old school concerns like board layout for noise minimization and clean power with separate voltage regulation for analog audio. Yamaha’s mid- to high-end products have always been quiet — PAC is pristine.

Since the PAC board is a separate, reusable entity, I could see Yamaha adopting the same board for GENOS.

Some other articles by Paul describing the PAC:

Another advantage of the PAC is balanced audio out, which means even less noise picked up by the cables going to the mixer/monitors/PA system.

Hope this helps,

Maarten
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:47:38 AM by maartenb »

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:35:47 AM »
Not much else to add. Thanks, Maarten and Bachus!

The only thing that I could say is that everything analog and digital after tone generation should be dead quiet and flat -- no unintended coloration or noise. PAC is a significant step in that direction. PAC should be part of every premium Yamaha product. It's what we pay for.

I've played both instruments. Opinion: If someone is a home player with a less than great audio system, PAC wouldn't matter too much. When playing live and put through a powerful PA, I would expect slightly reduced noise, depending upon the quality of the PA (cables, mixer, power amp, speakers, stage power) itself. For recording, PAC would shine.

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:41:30 AM by pjd »

Offline bushmanjones

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
Thanks much for the info guys.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 03:45:30 AM »
For recording, PAC would shine.

I think the Montage has digital audio streams via USB? For recording, that would be best.

But I get your point, which is: very clear analog audio.

Maarten

Offline Bachus

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 01:44:04 AM »
I think the Montage has digital audio streams via USB? For recording, that would be best.

But I get your point, which is: very clear analog audio.

Maarten

Yes montage has 16 stereo (48khz 16bit) channels out.. and 4 stereo channels input over the USB..

On your PC, you will be able to treat these channels as normal stereo in/out like a sound card...  which actually makes the Montage the sound device of your PC/MAC..
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline Mellontikos

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »
Isn't the Montage essentially a spiritual successor to the Korg Karma?

My experience has been that these Workstations with "Arranger like" Arpeggiated patterns are pretty much only good for playing around.

An actual Arranger like the Tyros you can actually use in a live performance, as it has everything you need (intro, fill-ins, ending) for every single style.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
Hi Henry,

It's been a long time since I heard from you.  I agree with you regarding the Montage to some degree but the arpeggiator can be a useful tool when used sparingly or to bulid new Multi Pads or style Parts.  With the Montage... It would be easy to get caught up in all the sound effects and dazzled by the motion sequencer and Super Knob.

Do you still have your T4?   And did you  see the 24 EDM styles I posted awhile back for the Euro Dance Pack?

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,36784.msg279390.html#msg279390

And one more here:   http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,36784.msg280120.html#msg280120

The collection includes the trance style we worked on together   http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,35493.msg267077.html#msg267077

Regards,
Joe H

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:04:19 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html