Author Topic: T5 Backup  (Read 392 times)

Offline adrianed

T5 Backup
« on: January 10, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »
Hi Folks,

I notice on page 35 in the owners manual for Tyros 5 that the data backup only backs up the user Drive.

Can someone advise How we backup the Hard Drive please

Adrian

Online Roger Brenizer

• PSR Performer
  • Administrator
  • Tyros 4, Electone HS-8T, Accordion, Piano, Guitar
    • Roger's PSR Performer Page
Re: T5 Backup
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
Hi Adrian,

I don't own a Tyros 5, but the process should be the same as my Tyros 4 by interfacing your T5 with your computer.  I would think the instructions for accomplishing this would be in your manual.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Marcus

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
Accessing an Internal Hard Disk Drive on the Tyros5 from the Computer
(USB Storage Mode)

When the instrument is in the USB Storage Mode, Wave files and Song files can be
transferred between the internal hard disk drive of the Tyros5 and the computer. When
the instrument is NOT in the USB Storage Mode, the USB connection can be used for
MIDI control. The USB interface does not directly handle audio signals.

1 Turn the computerís power on.

2 Turn the Tyros5ís power on while holding the [MUSIC
FINDER] button to enter the USB Storage Mode.

3 Manage files/folders in the internal hard disk drive of the
Tyros5 by using the computer.
While the computer is accessing the internal hard disk drive of the Tyros5, the
lamp at upper right corner on the display flashes.

4 To exit the USB Storage Mode, press the [EXIT] button.

Online EileenL

• Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 and S970.
  • PSR Performer
  • Essex UK
    • Eileen's Styles
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:29:43 AM »
Hi Adrian,
  This is the best way to do it. I do mine every couple of months as I add to my Hard drive. If any thing goes wrong with your hard drive then this Back up will restore everything as it was including all your links.

I know some of you have had problems doing this in the past. If like me you have a lot of articles saved to your hard drive and have collected them over the years the last thing you want to happen is to lose them. Hard Drives are fairly reliable but there is always that one time, or you may format by accident.
Firstly you will need a cable with USB(A) one end and USB(B) the other. In other words a printer cable. Connect up and have your computer switched on and your Keyboard switched Off. At this point I would suggest you switch of your modem, anti-virus and screen savers. This prevents any interference with the file transfer. Now, holding down the Music Finder Button switch keyboard on. In a few seconds your keyboard screen will show you it is connected. Now go to your computer and you will see Tyros4 HDD. Right click this and from the drop down menu select "Copy". Next thing to do is select your" C " drive root directory. Right click and from the drop down menu select "PasteĒ. According to how much information you are saving this may take several hours. This is well worth the time as, in case of problems with the keyboard Hard Drive you have all your hard work saved. To reload this back just use reverse procedure and everything will go back in tact with all your links still active.
Don't forget then to turn back on your computer the Modem, anti-virus and screen savers.

Offline adrianed

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
Thankyou Eileen, Marcus & Roger,

All my registrations are stored on HD1 So it is very important for me to back it up.

It is only during the last few days that realised that the Hard Drive was not backed up with the data backup

Since Eileen has recommended that we store registrations and Styles on the keyboard that I started doing just that, they all go on the Hard Drive  (HD1 as it is called )

I have presumed the User Drive is different storage area, How big is that wonder ??

What do players save the user drive for ??

Again thankyou everyone,

Adrian

Offline Marcus

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »
Thankyou Eileen, Marcus & Roger,

All my registrations are stored on HD1 So it is very important for me to back it up.

It is only during the last few days that realised that the Hard Drive was not backed up with the data backup

Since Eileen has recommended that we store registrations and Styles on the keyboard that I started doing just that, they all go on the Hard Drive  (HD1 as it is called )

I have presumed the User Drive is different storage area, How big is that wonder ??

What do players save the user drive for ??

Again thankyou everyone,

Adrian
Hi Adrian
The Tyros 5 User Drive is somewhere around 25-30 MBs. Very small, but sufficient with the original design of the first Tyros and carried over to the Tyros5. Designed mainly as a "working memory" area as you work, edit on individual files. Location where recorded or edited data is saved, such as the default location after saving a MIDI song, Audio Recording or saves from Style Creator etc. Usually by default, most saves are first directed to the User Drive, sometimes not allowing a save if full. So that drive can fill up quite fast.

Good habit when your file you are working on or editing is saved to the User Drive, transfer a copy to a Hard Drive folder to keep the User Drive from filling up. When you edit an Audio Style file in Style Creator, the User Drive is the only location where saves can be made. In my case, I edited many Audio Styles and keep them stored in the User Drive. Around 100 Style saves can fit on the User Drive, so I dedicate the User Drive for Audio Style saves only.

You can save your whole Tyros 5 Hard Drive to your computer, but most USB Drives have enough memory capacity as well to store your Tyros 5 Hard Drive contents. I use my USB drive to mirror my Hard Drive folders and contents, plus to sync data between my backup Tyros 5, I use on the road.

Marcus   

Online Roger Brenizer

• PSR Performer
  • Administrator
  • Tyros 4, Electone HS-8T, Accordion, Piano, Guitar
    • Roger's PSR Performer Page
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
Hi Adrian,

Like Marcus, I backup my Tyros 4 to multiple places also; my computer, an external hard drive and a USB Flash Drive.  I've written a batch file, which transfers the contents of the Tyros 4 Hard Drive to all three drives at once.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Online EileenL

• Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 and S970.
  • PSR Performer
  • Essex UK
    • Eileen's Styles
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »
Hi Adrian,
  I use my user drive as a work bench. If I am working on a song I will save it to user until I am happy with it and then I will save it to a folder on my Hard Drive. The same with styles I will work on them and when happy will then save them into there folders on the Hard Drive.
  I keep a couple of Style Free registrations on my user as they are very small and I can use them for fill ins when I just want to sit and busk in an interval.

Online fikke

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:40:44 PM »
I do my back ups in a few seconds. I remove the internal HD. It's very easy, it's only a few screws and  hang it on my computer. I make a folder on my computer and copy all the content from the internal HD in a few seconds. When this is done i place the HD back in my Tyros. It works fine and very fast.

Offline adrianed

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 06:09:47 PM »
Thankyou Fikke

I just don't fancy the risk of turning the keyboard upside down in case of damage and small scratches.

I have no doubt that transferring the contents of the Hdd is quick in this method but I just think it is a bit risky

Seems like you move your keyboard about a lot for use etc. but mine just sits in one place most of the time, I have always hated turning it upside down

Adrian 

Offline adrianed

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 06:12:03 PM »
Thankyou for the extra information Marcus

Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »
Thankyou Eileen,

That is valuable information, I didn't realise how the User drive could be used

Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »
Hi again Roger,

I am paranoid about backing up, a pity I cant always find the backup I want when I know its there somewhere

Adrian