Author Topic: New! Yamaha Expansion Manager V2.4.1  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Bertie59

Re: New! Yamaha Expansion Manager V2.4.1
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 02:55:46 AM »
Hi
Thanks for alerting us to this update - I for one wouldn't have known about it otherwise.
Much appreciated
Thanks
Sue  :)

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:02:17 AM »
Thank you so much for informing us about the latest update !
Much appreciated.  :)
Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline voodoo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:20:47 AM »
Thank you for the information.

Version History

[V2.4.0 to V2.4.1]
- [PSR-S670/S770/S970/A3000] You can now import protected packs from Yamaha MusicSoft.
- Yamaha Expansion Manager no longer supports Windows 8.
- Solved some other minor problems.
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:56:31 AM »
I see they did not address the issue I reported regarding YEM's auto-assignment of the LSB on User packs.  They could have at least mentioned this function in the manual if they didn't want to fix it in code.

Here's what happens.  What you load a User Pack, YEM will automatically assign the next available LSB number to the pack without you knowing about it or informing you it has done so.  What this means is that if you install Pack A with a LSB number of 2 along with other packs, then later added more packs in YEM.  Pack A could be changed to a LSB of 3 or 4 or 5, etc.

What's the big deal... well if you have edited or created user styles (not included in the pack) that play Pack A Voices using the LSB 2... those styles will no longer play correctly if YEM changed the LSB to another number.  Further more, if a third party developer releases a pack, people could end up with a different LSB number in their pack than someone else.  Again this could create an incompatibility and prevent people from sharing styles or Multi Pads using those custom pack Voices. The only answer at this point is for developers to be aware of this issue and add an instruction in the release notes of their pack informing users (buyers) of the correct LSB to assign to their pack before installing it on their keyboards.  Commercial developers should be able to lock the LSB the way Yamaha does so the LSB can't be changed by YEM.  Or another option would be to allow other MSB numbers other than 063 and 062.

My report to Yamaha offered some simple and reasonable suggestions on how to address this issue.  It is disappointing that my report was either never sent to the developer of YEM or was just simply ignored.

So if you are working in YEM a lot as I am these days, just be aware of this issue.  I have been working with a developer on a custom pack and am currently working on several of my own custom Voice packs and find this issue rather annoying to say the least. Once I became aware of what was going on, I now make sure the same LSB number is assign to my packs each time I update my Installation file to test Voices on the keyboard.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:21:54 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:01:15 AM »
I see they did not address the issue I reported regarding YEM's auto-assignment of the LSB on User packs.  They could have at least mentioned this function in the manual if they didn't want to fix it in code.

This seems normal for Yamaha. There are some more minor flaws on the Yamaha software, that will not be addressed, when they are not of common interest.
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
Uli,

Last week I have reported this issue again via email along with another issue of not being able to access many of the available icons when naming a Voice.

Yamaha Tech Support responded by calling me on the phone and talking at length about these issues.  The tech guy was at his computer and could see the issues for himself.  I think he understood the LSB issue is not an obvious one... but needs to be addressed because it is annoyance for anyone working a lot in YEM and for third party developers, and also can cause a lot of confusion for the average user.

He indicated he would pass my report along to a Marketing Manager to review.  That is as much as he was able to do.  I am impressed that Yamaha would call me to discuss these things in a phone conversation rather than just email.

I'm impressed once again with Yamaha's customer support.

:)

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:23:49 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »
By the way... those not familiar with YEM and the LSB issue, let me explain.

Due to a previous request by users, Yamaha added the ability to change the LSB of User Packs because... there were potential conflicts between different packs.

How you can change the LSB is a follows:

1. Select a User Pack (content will be displayed on the screen)
2. Go to the top of the screen in the My Packs Menu Bar and you see a Plus button and an Arrow Button
3. Click the Arrow Button and you will see in the Menu the option... "Change Bank Select LSB"
4 Click this option and it will open a screen showing all the packs that are loaded in YEM and the LSB numbers assigned to each one
5. All the packs will be grayed-out except the one you have selected to change the LSB
6. Click and drag the pack name to any unused number on the screen and close

Now the issue I reported is that the LSB numbers will change depending on how many and which packs are loaded at any given time.  MY suggestions to Yamaha were to add the abilty to "lock" a pack with a fixed LSB number so it won't change if you load more packs or delete packs.

Another option I offered was to have an Alert Box open when you load a pack informing us of the LSB number being assigned by YEM so we can change it if we want.

When I tested a User Pack last year for someone, I shared this pack with 2 other people to look at the LSB.  A total of 4 people had installed the pack in their keyboards and each of us had a different LSB assigned to the pack Voices AND styles that were in the pack.

So the problem comes in when people share a pack or a third party developer creates a pack to sell and wants the LSB to be the same for everyone.

So I hope Yamaha fixes this problem otherwise third party packs with styles and MIDI files potentially will be incompatible between any 2 individuals who have the same pack and the styles and MIDIs will not be exchangable if the packs do not share the same LSB number.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:54:08 PM by Joe H »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 07:19:43 AM »
Uli,

Last week I have reported this issue again via email along with another issue of not being able to access many of the available icons when naming a Voice.

Yamaha Tech Support responded by calling me on the phone and talking at length about these issues.  The tech guy was at his computer and could see the issues for himself.  I think he understood the LSB issue is not an obvious one... but needs to be addressed because it is annoyance for anyone working a lot in YEM and for third party developers, and also can cause a lot of confusion for the average user.

He indicated he would pass my report along to a Marketing Manager to review.  That is as much as he was able to do.  I am impressed that Yamaha would call me to discuss these things in a phone conversation rather than just email.

I'm impressed once again with Yamaha's customer support.

:)

Joe H

Congratulations Joe! Thanks you solved a big problem !!! Thank you very much!
Psr s970 - The best PSR!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
You are welcome Enildo.  I hope Yamaha comes up with a simple solution.   It should be easy to fix.

Joe H