Author Topic: Tyros 1 Hard Drive  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Brian

Tyros 1 Hard Drive
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:13:16 AM »
Hi,

I been trying to fit a Hard drive to a Tyros 1, a job I have done a few times but a long time ago, having purchased a 30GB hard drive I formatted it OK on the Tyros, however when I tried to load it with files using the computer I got the message, Write Protected. I,ve tried to remove the Write Protect using the dos Command prompt etc but this does not work, I also tried using another hard drive in Fat32 but the tyros wants to format this, I,m loath to try a ON Board format again in case it also becomes Write Protected.

As a matter of interest the Write protected hard drive will allow me to transfer files to and from it when installed in the Tyros.

Any ideas?

Offline frankmusik

Re: Tyros 1 Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:59:20 AM »
Hi Brian,
The HD in T1 was 10 and 20GB imho ....

I built in a lot of HDīs in T1 and always formatted them inside and never had any problems ....

If possible try to make the HD "NEW" remove the Partitions on the HD and put it again in the T1 to format.

greetings frank
Tyros Support in Germany

Offline Brian

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »
Hi Frank,

New hard drive is now write protected, therefore I cannot transfer files by connecting it direct to the computer, I was not aware that when you formatted a hard drive on the Tyros it also Write Protected it. it means that the hard drive is of no use for what I intended, however I have now formatted a second hard drive on my computer in fat32 and made 3 8gb partitions and the tyros recognises it.

best wishes,

Brian

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:13:35 AM »
Hi Brian .. i NEVER hat wa write protected HD in a Keyboard .. and never heard of one ... no Idea what happend to your HD ..

but . you solved it!

grtz
frank
Tyros Support in Germany

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:47:02 AM »
A "write protected" hard drive. That's pretty funny.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline adrianed

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:37:41 PM »
I would think a write protected hard drive is completely useless because you can never store anything on it

It could be a computer error

Adrian  ::)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:39:03 PM by adrianed »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
This isn't necessarily unusual.  I've had it happen, on more than one occasion, before too and you can restore the drive to it's original condition.

You've already solved the problem, but here's a link to one of many links on this subject and the resolution to this issue:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245174/restore_access_to_a_write_protected_hard_drive.html
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
Hi Roger,

As you say, this is not necessarily unusual, but when it happens it is usually something that our good friend (?) Microsoft, via it's awful, horrible, buggy, insecure (please feel free to insert any other opinions here!) Windows OS, decides to do, apparently off it's own bat!

Yet if you try to ask Microsoft why (ha ha!), all you get is MS 'BS' which has been honed to an extremely high standard over the years (unlike Windows)!  What disaster are we up to now? Windows 10 and you still can't trust them!

In fact Windows 10 represents a change in strategy by Microsoft.  Previously we have been 'customers', but Windows 10 changes this and users are now nothing more than 'data sources' to be sold onto anyone that MS can make money out of, unless users know how to prevent this, and even then who knows what information MS are gathering via a 'back door' to the OS?  Why do you think that MS were so keen to 'push' Windows 10 onto everyone for 'free', at no apparent cost to the user?

I really find it difficult to believe that Windows, Apple (whatever) or Linux, are the only computer OS that we can choose to adopt and have to trust after so many years of rubbish from all of them!

I must confess that I think that Yamaha's current arranger OS is very lacking (there is not even a basic search facility other than in the IMO waste of space Music finder) !), but the ultimate prize for total lack of customer care must surely go to Microsoft!

Regards

Ian

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 04:55:03 PM »
Hi Ian,

I'm in complete agreement with you and your assessment of the situation.  I've never used Microsoft's new Edge browser because of the user agreement you need to agree with.  It is basically, as you have indicated, a collection source of information for them and they can do with it as their heart desires.  They have other ways of extracting data from you, but that's one less source they'll receive from me.

With regard to the original topic, I've even seen this hard drive error message occur in a computer before; however, it turned out that by simply removing the cables from the 3.5" floppy drive the hard drive error vanished.  This is only evidence of more of their self inflicted bugs.

I've used and programmed in several different operating systems in the past.  I have dual boot systems on many of my computers.  I even have one computer dedicated to Linux, although I haven't used it in a while.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 06:35:32 AM »
Hi roger,

I,ve have already tried the DOS sequence to restore the hard drive, `fraid it does not work in this case, hard drive is still write protected. I,ve also tried the hard drive on a laptop running Windows XP same result as on my iMac. No problem with the second hard drive but I did not try to format it on the Tyros.

Best wishes,

Brian.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 10:29:30 AM »
Hi Brian,

I may be groping at straws, but have you checked the jumpers on your hard drive to see how it's configured?
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 06:00:40 AM »
Hi Roger,

Hard drive was not write protected when I received it,  it was when I formatted it on the tyros that the problems began. The company I bought it from advised me that for the hard drive to be recognised by windows the drive must be initialised which I did and then the computer recognised it.

I don't see any problem with jumpers. I have sent a message to the suppliers to see if they can shed any light on the matter

thanks for your interest,

Brian.