Author Topic: s970 & s770 erratic behaviour / faulty [A] to [J] buttons - is yours affected?  (Read 169195 times)

szwarc

I have the same problem !

textbook

My dealer swapped mine out yesterday for a new replacement, and I'm very pleased to say all the buttons work perfectly,  no need to press the black buttons on the outside to make them work,  they just work every single time now regardless how I press them.  Also, unless it's my imagination and the placebo kicking in they also feel a little more positive when you press them  :)

I'm pretty certain the occasional issue of exiting back to main screen when the black buttons were pressed is likely due to contact bounce,  where the switch was not making a good clean contact.   I've had this happen on the odd PC mouse where towards the end of it's life it gives the effect of double clicking the button even though you only clicked it once...IOW switch bounce.

Excellent service by my dealer as I only phoned them on Monday, they arranged delivery of replacement and DPD took mine away with them, can't be bad.  Just a shame the first one had one of the bad button panels.  Personally, I could have managed by just pressing the raised part of the buttons,  but figured it may pose a problem if I ever sell or pass it on later.  I've used it a lot today and all is good, can't fault it.

Cameron

Offline Joe H

Cameron,

Thanks for the update.  Since I am already communicating with Yamaha, I passed this info along.  So it appears to be a problem with a certain lot of keyboards that may have bad switches.  Just when I think I'm not having the problem... it happens.  It must be caused by overly sensitive switches or the PNL board they are mounted on that is sending the double-press message causing an EXIT of the current screen.

I'm considering taking mine in to my dealer to get looked at who is an authorized Yamaha Service Center as well.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

szwarc

So i must send my psr to service ?

Offline Joe H

szwarc,

Only some of us are having problems.  Pressing in the center of the buttons works best.  But if you are having a lot of trouble with those set of buttons, it is probably a good idea to have it checked while under warranty . We can only speculate as to why Yamaha changed to a different type of button by the screen when the old style button worked just fine.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Happy Jack

Cameron,

Thanks for the update.  Since I am already communicating with Yamaha, I passed this info along.  So it appears to be a problem with a certain lot of keyboards that may have bad switches.  Just when I think I'm not having the problem... it happens.  It must be caused by overly sensitive switches or the PNL board they are mounted on that is sending the double-press message causing an EXIT of the current screen.

I'm considering taking mine in to my dealer to get looked at who is an authorized Yamaha Service Center as well.

Joe H

Hi Joe, Cameron and all. 

Please add Happy Jack's PSR-S770 to the queue.     

Like some other folk, I'd assumed it was my doddery, slippery fingers at fault.  But the A-J buttons (both sides) are now becoming beyond a slight nuisance and keep flicking me, unbidden, to the main screen.  Might happen once in ten presses, or once in twenty, but sometimes I get a flurry of 'em at once.

Phoned Reidys today, (after their website's Returns Form Request told me that my order number was not recognized) :-(    Did the usual stuff: disconnected all leads apart from the power, full factory reset, already done system upgrade to 1:04.    Bought it new August 2015 UK. 

Mr Reidy of Reidys  (Yamaha main agent I think)  says will collect it next week and forward it to Yamaha.

Will keep you informed.

cheers
   Jack

Offline Joe H

Jack,

When I take mine in... I will let the Tech know that this problem has been reported several times now and he should ask Yamaha if they have come up with a fix.

Please do the same.  Sooner or later Yamaha will have enough reports to know what the issue is... hardware problem or software problem.

Joe H

textbook

So i must send my psr to service ?

I don't know your location,  but IME the dealer you bought it from will likely prove more rewarding,  as the model is pretty new they should replace it,  then they will get your returned keyboard replaced by Yamaha. Obviously the longer one leaves it the less chance they will replace it.  If the item is fairly new many UK dealers will replace like for like without any cost to the customer.

My own dealer has a good warranty on keyboards, and arrange collection at their cost, though after a set time I cannot see them replacing for a new one, so better to get it sorted early rather than later. Otherwise one will need to contact Yamaha and send it to them for repair, but you will have to pay postage costs, and you will likely be without your keyboard for a while, hence why I suggested your dealer should be your first option and see what they have to say, as the legal obligation (in the UK anyway) is with the dealer that sold it to you.

As Joe suggests,  in view of the fact that not ALL the 970 and 770 models are affected does indicate they fitted some with inferior switch panels.  BTW The switches on the S670 are totally different and are not affected, and in fact actually work very well.

Happyjack:   
Good to see you posting again, I hope you have not been unwell my friend.  Not good hearing yours may have this problem too.  :(

Cameron

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:55:04 PM by textbook »

Happy Jack

Jack,

When I take mine in... I will let the Tech know that this problem has been reported several times now and he should ask Yamaha if they have come up with a fix.

Please do the same.  Sooner or later Yamaha will have enough reports to know what the issue is... hardware problem or software problem.

Joe H

That's good, Joe, thanks.  When I fully described the fault to Mr Reidy of Reidys,  he said this is the first case he knows of.    I postponed acting on this before now until it became progressively more pronounced. 

Am happy with this PSR-S770,  but I wouldn't want to feel that I'm stuck with a 'faulty' keyboard, regards selling or part-exchanging later on.

cheers for your help
  Jack

Happy Jack

(brevity snip): ....better to get it sorted early rather than later. Otherwise one will need to contact Yamaha and send it to them for repair, but you will have to pay postage costs, and you will likely be without your keyboard for a while, hence why I suggested your dealer should be your first option and see what they have to say, as the legal obligation (in the UK anyway) is with the dealer that sold it to you.

Good advice, Cameron.   So easy to let these little jobs slide into the pending tray. Thankfully Reidys uses DPD courier which saves a lot of hassle.  Didn't fancy camping out by the front door all week. :-)

Happyjack:   
Good to see you posting again, I hope you have not been unwell my friend.  Not good hearing yours has this problem too. 

Aye, we're back in the Land of the Living.  Although one's extended warranty might be another story. :-)

happy regards
   Jack

szwarc

So i will be call to the shop were i buy my yamaha on monday.

Happy Jack

So i will be call to the shop were i buy my yamaha on monday.

Yes, that is a good move.   'A stitch in time, saves nine', as the old saying goes. 

PS:  Many thanks to the original poster, Paul, (Chronos1976) for highlighting this issue.

best regards
  Jack

textbook

[quote author=Happy Jack link=topic=32258.msg243668
  Aye, we're back in the Land of the Living.  Although one's extended warranty might be another story. :-)

happy regards
   Jack
[/quote]

Good to see you back anyway Jack,  I sincerely hope your personal extended warranty won't expire for many years yet my friend.  :)
My consultant recently renewed mine for another 6 months...fingers xxx for both of us.   ;)

Best wishes...Cameron

Jeff Hollande

Hi,

I followed all instructions as described on page 1 ( Thank You ! ) and nothing seems to be wrong. :)

Best wishes, Jeff
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 10:32:28 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Happy Jack

Hi all here,

I'm repacking my PSR-S770 return, ready for courier collection.   Presumably one would include all the bits: manual, power supply, music stand? ...

cheers

Offline EileenL

Yes you should pack everything that came with the keyboard.

Happy Jack

Yes you should pack everything that came with the keyboard.

Cheers, Eileen, much appreciated.   

Empty keyboard trolley looks weird; withdrawal symptoms already kicking in. 

Thankfully, still got my looper and sampler to compensate. :-)

happy regards
  Jack

Jeff Hollande

Is it a software bug or a " mechanical " problem or both ?

Hopefully all " victims " will be helped soon.
Nothing worse than being without keyboard arranger.  :-[

Wish you all good luck !
Keep my fingers crossed ...

Jeff

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:50:22 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Happy Jack

Is it a software bug or a " mechanical " problem or both ?

Hopefully all " victims " will be helped soon.
Nothing worse than being without keyboard arranger.  :-[

Wish you all good luck !
Keep my fingers crossed ...

Jeff

Thanks for your good wishes, Jeff.   Unsure what the cause is of this keyboard anomaly at the moment, but maybe Yamaha tech department will elucidate anon. 

Needless to say, I refitted the two original Live Control knobs (had installed two yellow 'short fatty' ones). Must say the feel of the 'short fatty' ones in general use,  are much more pleasurable, in contrast.

The only minor casualty (so far) was in my prizing away the extension USB hub (secured to the side of the PSR with double sided tape). Split the hub's casing. Boo-hoo, woe is me! :)     Also, found that the use of a hair-dryer came in handy to quickly remove multiple traces of double-side tape residue. 

UPDATE:   Reidys' courier picking it up tomorrow (Tuesday). :-)   And says only to repack the PSR-S770 keyboard and the power supply and lead, but NOT the music stand or the manual.   Anyone else in the same situation might better check with their dealer regards same.

Now, the next hurdle is trying to make sense of these polystyrene end packing bits. :-)

2ND UPDATE:  Young gent from Reidys couldn't offer any tips on making sense of repacking with the polystyrene bits, other than confirming it is 'difficult'.    Never mind, found an PSR-S970 Unboxing vid' on YouTube, which shone a light from afar.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H9LsEn1o40

Okay, all good to go (back) :-)
  Jack
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:43:34 PM by Happy Jack »

textbook

Hopefully Jack they don't have it too long, and they get it sorted and returned to you quite quickly... fingers xxx.   That video was a good idea, if my memory serves me right, there is a specific cut-out in the packing to hold the power supply and lead, which is locked in place once the box is sealed up.   The 670 I bought last year before my 970, came with the power supply floating around loose inside the box, which likely caused the nasty chip on the front of the board, and indeed was one of the reasons it was returned.  If that 670 was new, my name's mickey mouse...lol

Jeff:
I'm pretty certain it's a hardware issue. caused by flaky membrane switch panels,  if it had been a firmware issue, we would ALL be suffering from the problem, and the way it occasionally exits back to the main screen is typical of switch bounce.  Where even though you only press once, the contact is not always clean and positive so it sometimes thinks you pressed it twice, and other times it doesn't recognise the press at all so you need to press it again.

Cameron

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:28:01 PM by textbook »

Offline Joe H

I think it's a hardware (switch) problem myself.  I went through auditioning several hundred of the Voices over the weekend.  I pressed on the inside edge toward the screen and only experienced the problem a few times.  Pressing on the high side of the switch causes the screen to EXIT far more often. I think Yamaha made a mistake going to the contoured buttons.  They should have stayed with the flat button design.    I only had this happen on rare occasions on my S910.

Joe H

Happy Jack

CAMERON:

Hi, cheers for the reminder about packing the PSU in its' proper slot in the polystyrene packing.  All boxed now and awaiting collection, thanks. :-)

JOE: 

Hey, mine is the *reverse* of the fault you describe.  Pressing the A-J buttons at the centre, or pressing the 'thin' edge (next to the screen) causes the fault; whereas when pressing the 'high' point it works okay.

Sure, pressing only the high point of the button would be a 'workaround' of sorts,  but a tiresome one: aiming to hit something the size of a match head time after time.  Not good. 

happy regards
   Jack
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:26:31 PM by Happy Jack »

Offline ticktock

Hi all,

My s970 appears having this issue when I bought it in August 2015. Because this is my first keyboard (ever), I thought it was designed that way, until I saw this thread.

Three days ago, I updated the firmware to 1.04 and retested the buttons. The problem still resists.

I need your advice:

- Should I bring it back to the dealer? I bought the s970 from Guitar Center in USA.
- Should I report directly to Yamaha?
- Or doing both?

Many thanks,
Ted

Happy Jack

Hi all,

My s970 appears having this issue when I bought it in August 2015. Because this is my first keyboard (ever), I thought it was designed that way, until I saw this thread.

Three days ago, I updated the firmware to 1.04 and retested the buttons. The problem still resists.

I need your advice:

- Should I bring it back to the dealer? I bought the s970 from Guitar Center in USA.
- Should I report directly to Yamaha?
- Or doing both?

Many thanks,
Ted

Hi Ted,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same issue with your S970.

Personally, I decided to report my defective PSR-770 keyboard to the dealer who sold it to me.  I asked that he do something to correct the fault, if you please.

Whether getting my keyboard fixed via repair or replacement is immaterial to me, since the keyboard was only purchased in August, so I still regard it as a new instrument with full warranty still running.

I would have preferred to give a written account of my keyboard's fault to the dealer, but for some reason, when I tried the dealer's website it told me that my original order number was not recognized! I have since reported that website anomaly to the dealer. ;-)

So I reported the fault to the dealer via telephone,  making notes, times, names, etc, and giving exact description of the fault.  I also asked my dealer if he was aware of any other similar problems.  In my case, my dealer said that this was the first time he had heard of such a problem with the PSR-S770 / S970  A-J buttons.

Can't give a definitive answer to your original question, Ted, but my personal decision was to ask for assistance from my dealer.   

best regards
   Jack

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:10:03 AM by Happy Jack »

textbook

It's very likely the switches will be of the membrane type,  if they had been the bubble type (1st Pic) one would detect a slight click when pressed and will likely have a audible click too when pressed,  this bubble type is what Yamaha fitted to the S670 would be my guess, and tends to be used where the buttons are made of plastic, which the 670 buttons are.
As shown in the 1st pic, it's just a springy metal disc which pops in to make a contact when pressed in the centre, and pops out again when released, they work well, but the audible click can be quite noticeable as I found when I had my 670.

However, the one used most often these days because it's cheaper and requires less soldering,  is the membrane rubber sheet type, (2nd Pic) this is where the switch contact panel is a specially etched printed circuit board, where an arrangement of specially shaped tracks are in close proximity, and the button itself is made of rubber,  (usually as a rubber membrane sheet of them),  designed so that when pressed in, it simply shorts out the track and returns on it's own accord because of it's moulded rubber shape.   These type of switches are normally silent in operation.

The bottom of the rubber which comes into contact with the printed circuit board when pressed has a coating of a special electrically conductive material, (likely containing carbon/silver or similar)  which simply shorts out the track on the PCB.... a very simple arrangement that normally works well and is cheap to produce.  This is the type that is likely used on the 770/970 models,  the PCB shown on the second pic will have lots of these pcb switch patterns to match the required number of buttons.

So why are they not working properly ?   TBH I wish I knew....  The buttons are quite loose and floppy, so depending where/how it's pressed in may result in it not making a good contact with the PCB.    It's also possible that the electrically conductive material used on the bottom of the rubber button to make the contact is inferior.  Another possibility is that the PCB alignment with the rubber button membrane sheet is not as accurate as it might need to be, so that when the button is pressed in, it's NOT directly over the PCB contact area, so would give the symptoms we are getting,  but it can be any of those issues,  not cleaning the switch panel PCB properly before fitting would give similar issues too. :o 

Cameron

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:50:28 PM by textbook »

Offline Joe H

Ted,

When I contacted Yamaha Support, they directed me to take it to my local dealer / authorized Yamaha Service Center, but I think it's good for Yamaha to get the message every way possible and as many times as possible.  I'm sure they are not going to be happy about this.  A hardware problem is more costly than a firmware update.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:18:01 AM by Joe H »

FELIXMUSIC

I have a different problem...I reset my whole keyboard to try to fix this and for now, it's ok:

I needed to change my 'Chord fingerings' to Fingered on Bass. So I go to the appropriate screen in 'FUNCTION'...

The selection toggle was there on the bottom left of the screen...but the up/down rubber buttons below it didn't do a thing...(other items on the right side of that screen could be changed)...After I reset the whole keyboard...they are working again...but I think there is a bug in the software somewhere...

I recall years ago (14!!), the same thing happened with dead 'left/right' screen keys on my PSR-2000...but I would not have expected this sort of problem with a new instrument like the PSR-S770...

As noted...all is working again...but it is rather disconcerting...

I do not like the rubber keys that the PSR-S770 and my PSR-S900 have. An older arranger I have (the PSR-3000) has 'solid' keys (like the TYROS) and I like them way better...

James

Happy Jack

Good day, yammylovers,

I see that with excess of three thousand views of this topic, there are only 7 Likes to date! 

To the lucky majority of those viewers, (whose keyboards are presumably fault-free), peace and love and lots of continued fun.

My thanks also to the psrtutorial site.

happy regards
  Jack

Offline Joe H

Jack,

That's just the way it is.  Lots of readers, not so many comments.  When people post files for download, sometimes they get snatched up like candy... but not many thank you's compared to the number of downloads.

It's OK.  Most people appreciate what's being said here.  Obvously there are some boards with a button problem.  Maybe it's not that many... that would be good news for Yamaha.

Joe H

Happy Jack

Jack,

That's just the way it is.  Lots of readers, not so many comments.  When people post files for download, sometimes they get snatched up like candy... but not many thank you's compared to the number of downloads.

It's OK.  Most people appreciate what's being said here.  Obvously there are some boards with a button problem.  Maybe it's not that many... that would be good news for Yamaha.

Joe H

Well said, Joe, here's hoping it is just a few 'rogue' ones 

My dealer tells me that mid-January is a busy time regards factory warranty repairs.   Instruments purchased in the Christmas period have now been played and explored enough to reveal any inherent problems.   

In other words, be prepared for a warranty work backlog.

Could be that the A-J button issue is maybe comparable to noisy tappets rather than a big end knock.   Perhaps some might tolerate a nuisance level fault rather than the trouble of sending the keyboard back for warranty work?

good regards
   Jack

textbook

Just a quick update regarding the replacement I received last week, and it's not exactly 100% good news unfortunately.

Having played it quite a lot since receiving it,  I have since found that just occasionally it will miss the odd button press, and I have to press it again, it's only happened about 4 or 5 times,    and it's jumped back to the main screen 3 times so far,   but certainly nowhere so often as it did on my first 970,   so if it stays like this I shall be reasonably happy.   I certainly won't be requesting another change or fix,  but TBH I'm suspecting quite a few have flaky button switches, but some much more noticeable than others, as my original 970 was like it from day-1 and it occurred quite often.  When it only does it infrequently as it currently is,  it's much more tolerable and I can live with it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,  but just to let you know.  :(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:51:03 PM by textbook »

Happy Jack

Just a quick update regarding the replacement I received last week, and it's not exactly 100% good news unfortunately.

Having played it quite a lot since receiving it,  I have since found that just occasionally it will miss the odd button press, and I have to press it again, it's only happened about 4 or 5 times,    and it's jumped back to the main screen 3 times so far,   but certainly nowhere so often as it did on my first 970,   so if it stays like this I shall be reasonably happy.   I certainly won't be requesting another change or fix,  but TBH I'm suspecting quite a few have flaky button switches, but some much more noticeable than others, as my original 970 was like it from day-1 and it occurred quite often.  When it only does it infrequently as it currently is,  it's much more tolerable and I can live with it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,  but just to let you know.  :(

Howdy, Cameron and all A-J Buttoneers.

Sorry to hear that, sir;  bad show, especially that your replacement keyboard is now displaying a similar fault after such a short time. 

Hope the fault remains within the zone of tolerance.  But please, leave any hammers outside of your Man Cave for the time being, eh?  :)

happy regards
   Jack
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:19:54 PM by Happy Jack »

Offline Joe H

Cameron,

I tried the system reset thing.  This seems to reduce the erratic button behavior, but doesn't eliminate it.  I wonder if there is a problem with the installer program when doing a firmware update.  Shouldn't have to do a system reset after updating firmware.

At least my problem is on the radar screen of my dealer.  The store manager is going to the winter NAMM so he is preoccupied for the moment.  We plan to talk again when the dust settles. He called Yamaha trying to get a heads-up on this issue.   No one at Yamaha seems to know about the problem.  The tech support guy also seems to have abandoned me for the moment.

I'm not going to let it rest.  Sooner or later I will get a response from Yamaha directly or through my dealer.  Looks like a couple of weeks before I can take my board in for the diagnostic test.  I want the repair guy to be communicating with Yamaha repair in California if necessary to figure out what the problem is... IE; hardware or firmware.  I need the store manager's support for that to happen.

Stay tuned...   ???

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:50:10 AM by Joe H »

Nick

Hello everyone! This is my first post and, I'm having the same issue as most of you. First of all I think the PSR 970 is a fantastic keyboard!  If it wasn't for the A,C,and D keys which seem to be the issue on my 1 week old 970.  After reading this topic I realized that I have the same issue. I went to Guitar Center were I purchase the keyboard and they were ready to order a new one ( Excellent Store ) for me. I asked them instead to call Yamaha and find out what was the story regarding this erratic behavior. The Yamaha tech said they would  call me back within 24hrs. to trouble shoot the problem.  When I told them about the posting here he said that yes  there are a some complaints on the site but no one is reporting it.  This is why I'm asking who is correct? Is Yamaha being truthful. I know after putting down my money I want a system that works not a work around.  I'll let you know what the testing process is when we finish.

Happy Jack

Hello everyone! This is my first post and, I'm having the same issue as most of you. First of all I think the PSR 970 is a fantastic keyboard!  If it wasn't for the A,C,and D keys which seem to be the issue on my 1 week old 970.  After reading this topic I realized that I have the same issue. I went to Guitar Center were I purchase the keyboard and they were ready to order a new one ( Excellent Store ) for me. I asked them instead to call Yamaha and find out what was the story regarding this erratic behavior. The Yamaha tech said they would  call me back within 24hrs. to trouble shoot the problem.  When I told them about the posting here he said that yes  there are a some complaints on the site but no one is reporting it.  This is why I'm asking who is correct? Is Yamaha being truthful. I know after putting down my money I want a system that works not a work around.  I'll let you know what the testing process is when we finish.

Hi there, Nick,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts here on psrtutorial

Yes I see your point.  While waiting for my faulty PSR-S770 buttons to be fixed, I think I will now take the added precaution of writing (not phoning) Yamaha UK to make sure they are informed of this specific problem.

Hopefully my own faulty PSR-S770 (bought August 2015) will be soon restored to a fully functional instrument.

happy regards
   Jack
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:36:15 AM by Happy Jack »

androidgalaxyman

Dear  All,

After i read with continuous replies, i am bit worried about my new PSR S770. i was bought this last Saturday, i really happy that keyboard i got. But reading from @chronos and @Joe replies, these malfunction happened many users. so that i made quick test, alas me too have same behavior. is that the only way we must do return  claim? my country is india, i am more worried about whether dealer can exchange it or not. i too worried, if i go for service, it may take long time. its due to indian service center will not act on deadlines. is that anyway to do claim like, Seagate warranty procedure?  you can apply through internet and file the claim. Then we can gave the corresponding service unit and after a short while we  can get the warrantied device.

Thanks

in deep sad!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( :-[ :-[ :-[

Regards
Androidgalaxyman

Offline Joe H

Androidgalaxyman,

Before you do anything else.  Try doing a System Reset.  With the power turned OFF, press and hold the right-most white key, then power on your keyboard holding down that key.  You will see a message saying System Initializing.

See if this stops the button problem.  I have had very little of the button issues once I did a System Reset. Let us know if this works.  If it does this would be an important piece of information.  I encourage others who is having this problem to try it as well.  Yamaha needs to fix the problem... if we can identify a specific pattern of behavior it will help to get it corrected.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:58:33 PM by Joe H »

Nick

Hello Joe!
Thank you for the info! 
I followed your recommendation and, it seems to have settled the issue for the minute.  I pressed the buttons repeatedly  with only one miss but it could have been my fault. This reset seem to have done the trick for now.  Time will tell if it returns.  Very odd problem.  Maybe it's a firmware issue don't know but when or, if I get a call back from Yamaha I will definitely mention this process.
Hopefully this may help others on this posting.

Thanks again
Back to Music....

Offline Joe H

Nick,

Thank you for your report.  I hope others will give it a try.  I'm talking with someone else who tried the reset and got those same results.  He needs to do a firmware update from v1.03 to v1.04.  I asked him to let me know if the button problem starts again after the firmware update.  If so I suggested he do the System Reset again and see what happens.

Joe H

Bill H

This whole thing reminds me of my first computer, a TRS-80. (Please don't laugh...  :)

The keyboard suffered greatly from "bouncy" keys -- pressing a key might result in four or five of the characters appearing on the screen. The cause was a sub-millisecond bouncing of the springy key contacts when a key was pressed. As slow as it was, the computer could read the keyboard several times over while the contacts were still bouncing, resulting in multiple undesirable inputs.

The fix was to load a small utility program (called "KBFIX" if I recall correctly) that slowed reading of the keyboard just enough to allow the bouncing to settle before the next read while still reading it fast enough to keep up with a good typist. So, we have a hardware problem fixed by software.

All of which leads one to believe that even though the S970 (or at least some of them) apparently have flaky push buttons, a simple firmware update might be sufficient to fix the problem. Could it already be in v1.04? I doubt it, as Yamaha doesn't yet appear to know about (or at least acknowledge) the problem. But it does leave hope that a future firmware update might solve the problem, which would be much better than having to send the silly keyboard off for a couple month's worth of factory repairs.

Just my $0.02...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:04:18 AM by Bill H »

Offline Joe H

Bill H,

V1.03 and v1.04 exhibit the button problem.  It appears at this point, that it might be a installer program glitch (in my opinion), but I don't know if that is even possible.  I'm not a programmer, so the question is why would you need to do a System Reset after installing a firmware update?   ???    ???    ???

It may NOT be a hardware problem since the reset appears to correct the problem... (short term anyway).  We need more reports.

From where I stand, it looks like Yamaha has not acknowledged there IS a problem... for the moment.  I guess the burden is on us to convince the right folks at Yamaha that there IS a problem.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:15:06 AM by Joe H »

androidgalaxyman

Bill H,

V1.03 and v1.04 exhibit the button problem.  It appears at this point, that it might be a installer program glitch (in my opinion), but I don't know if that is even possible.  I'm not a programmer, so the question is why would you need to do a System Reset after installing a firmware update?   ???    ???    ???

It may NOT be a hardware problem since the reset appears to correct the problem... (short term anyway).  We need more reports.

From where I stand, it looks like Yamaha has not acknowledged there IS a problem... for the moment.  I guess the burden is on us to convince the right folks at Yamaha that there IS a problem.

Joe H

Dear Joe

Sure . i will try it out and report to you. May be time delay happens when respond back to you. my firmware is v.1.03. The one more thing i understand, if we press elevated part, there will be a problem of exit happens. but if would be the case left hand side button, the depression found on right side. The same as for Right hand side button the depression is on left side. if we press depressed areas, the problem some what less. Though i suspect, it could be a problem in hardware part. but i am also convinced about your answers , there will be a chance on firmware.

Thanks

Regards
androidgalaxyman

Happy Jack

Hi, androidgalaxyman,

Well done for sticking with it and good luck.  :)

Jack

Happy Jack

Bill H,

Joe H

Greetings, Joe H and all, 

I'm waiting for my repaired keyboard to be returned; optimistic that it is on the way.   Note that I had already installed the Firmware 1:04 upgrade, so that didn't fix the problem.

EDIT:  Also tried several, full System Resets to no avail. (END OF EDIT)

As yet, haven't had any 'hard' acknowledgement of this issue, either from my dealer or from Yamaha.  Spoken words down a phone line, no problem, but asking for a written response is another matter. Will keep trying. 

* My dealer's website was unable to recognize my details when I typed in details of my faulty keyboard.

*My local Yamaha website (Milton Keynes, UK), didn't recognize the PSR-S770, hence had to use phone.

*My recent email to my dealer (with digital signature) has been responded to, but in a format I couldn't read: "winmail.dat" 784bytes.    Have asked my dealer to resend their email in a format I can read. :-)

From my recent chat with the Yamaha tech' guy, it was clear that he knew of this issue of the problem buttons.  However, you'll have to take my word for that. (hearsay evidence)?

Very much looking forward to the return of my fixed keyboard. :)

Happy regards to all Buttoneers!
   (please see my posted image)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:04:20 AM by Happy Jack »

androidgalaxyman

Dear All,

is that have any concrete list of updates or  fix list between v.1.0.3. and V.1.0.4 from yamaha side. like something release notes we can see in the internet?

Thanks

Regards
androidgalaxyman

Offline Joe H

androidgalaxyman,

Did you try a System Reset?  This is important to know.

Here's the info you are looking for.   

http://download.yamaha.com/search/detail/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16535&product_id=2059270&asset_file_language=EN&asset_id=65128

Joe H

textbook

I'll give my own 970 a complete reset today Joe,  a bit sceptical,  but will give it a try just in case it does help. ;)  nothing to lose.  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:52:28 AM by textbook »

Happy Jack

I'll give my own 970 a complete reset today Joe,  a bit sceptical,  but will give it a try just in case it does help. ;)  nothing to lose.  :)

Good day, Cameron and all,

Doing System resets didn't work for me - I did several to no avail.  But I sincerely hope you're lucky.

Just hoping my 'repaired' keyboard will be totally good when it comes.

I reject that I am supposed to grin and bear it, pretend it's just a minor blip, ignore it.

No, I reject that.  I paid for a brand new keyboard,  not to be saddled with a faulty one.

Imagine trying to sell it:   For sale,  mint condition, indoor use only, kept under a bell jar in a smoke-free, pet-free home.       What?, oh, the sticky A-J buttons?  Nah, that's normal for this model, just ask around. What? You don't want it?  Suit yourself, that'll be two quid for the tea and biscuits then.

Just blowing off steam, matey,  better let out then holding it in, eh? :-)

happy regards
   Jack
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:36:53 PM by Happy Jack »

textbook

LOL... ;D
I fully agree with you Jack,  it will likely cause financial loss when it comes to sell it, and possible come back from any potential buyer, there's no doubt about that.   I personally think they are just crapply designed switch panels, and no amount of resetting will make it better.
However,  I haven't tried a full hard factory reset yet, so nothing to lose,   at least I can then say I tried it...lol

TBH I'm looking forwards to yours coming back 100% fixed, and if it works okay,  I may be tempted to send this one back too,  though I doubt they will swap it again,  but at least if I know they are actually doing some genuine sort of fix on them instead of just a quick check and a reset and then shipping it back saying they couldn't find anything wrong,  I'll likely get mine updated too in due course as it's done it twice today. :-(   and I have a few other boards plus my Casio 88 piano I recently bought which I can use while it's away.   I just want to know for sure Yamaha UK will actually do something before I send it in for repair.  I may ring my dealer though just to give them the bad news, so they are aware in case I do send it for repair later.

So I look forward to hearing what they did/have done with your's Jack and sincerely hope it gets truly fixed, as I recall the OP saying he had already returned 2,  and they still hadn't given him one that worked 100% properly.   :( :(

Take care.

Best wishes....Cameron
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:24:51 PM by textbook »

Offline Joe H

Jack,

Yes... please give us a full report on what they didi to "fix" your keyboard buttons. This is important for the rest of us to know.

Joe H