Author Topic: Composing a style from a midifile you like ....  (Read 1492 times)

Composing a style from a midifile you like ....
« on: October 29, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »
I have placed an order for a T4, now is there a possibility to compose a style based on copying sections from a midifile, like guitar rythm , bass and drum patterns relatively easily, either with a Tyros itself or aided by software for PC?

Thankyou for reading.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 02:03:07 PM by rolfeilert »

Offline mikf

Re: Composing a style from a midifile you like ....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »
The easy answer is not a simple automatic process Software does exist which claims to do this but I have not seen anyone claim much success with it. When you think about it , this is not surprising, because a typical audio recording has a lot going on, so how would software extract just the right repetitive phrases for each instrument to build a style. It would take a lot of manual intervention and editing even if the software worked OK to make a good style.
I believe Joe H on this forum seems to have built considerable experience with this process so you should look up some of his posts.
Mike

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »
rolfeilert,

I have invested a lot of time and effort in style creation.  It is not an easy process. It requires both technical skills (understanding MIDI and Yamaha's style file structure) and decent compositional skills.  The better your musical training, I believe the better results we can achieve creating styles from MIDI song files.

I play by ear. My musical training was minimal at 9 years old (a long time ago).

few people have succeeded at creating professional sounding styles using Style Creator on the keyboard, and few have succeeded in creating professional sounding styles using PC based software.

Free software includes: midi2style by Jorgen Sorensen and StyleMaker by Michael Bedesem (no longer supported).  Commercial software includes: StyleWorks by EMC, One Man Band by Joe Maas, and StyleMagic YA by midisoft.

I spent a year attempting to make good styles from song files. As Mike says, song files do not have the right repetitive musical phrases and motifs to build styles. So I took another approach.  I am currently without a keyboard at the moment, but I began making styles from MIDI loops (including Multi Pads).  I find this is a better approach since style files are made up of musical phrases and drum loops.  The problem is getting the loops in to the right format... IE CMaj7 scale.

I developed what I call Style Phrases; to build styles using Style Creator Assembly on the keyboard.  These are special style files with just a single drum loop, musical phrase, chord pattern, or string/synth pad that can be loaded on-the-fly in real-time... one style Part at a time.  Being able to hear phrases play together, change Voices, Pan position, add DSP, etc as the parts play together is a much better approach for most people with minimal musical skills like myself.

The problem I've run in to is not having a software utility that can create large quantities of useful loops.  It would require a database of 7000 to 8000 drum loops and musical phrases supporting many genre of musical tastes to choose from in order to build a library of good styles. 

My personal choice of software is StyleMagic by midisoft.  I have asked the author to add the capability to Import MIDI loops so we could build styles on the PC in a similar manner to Style Creator Assembly on the keyboard. Being able to load new loops into existing styles would also make it simple to modify existing styles easily and quickly.

I believe this method would open the door to style-making for a lot of people with minimal skills and bring reasonable results and would unleash a lot of creativity in a Forum like this one.

Don't get me wrong.  Simple styles can be achieve on the keyboard with Style Creator and with all the software mentioned above.  A lot goes into the production of Yamaha's styles.  Pro song writers, pro musicians, and sound engineers are employed to write, perform and mix the styles to the quality that come in our keyboards.

For the average hobbyist player like yours truly... I need all the help I can get, and maybe a bit little luck as well to produce a style worth sharing.  My initial attempts have been focused on Club Dance music, but my future efforts will be on creating Ballads, Smooth Jazz, New Age music, and maybe some styles for relaxation and meditation.  For the moment, my time is limited. I'm still working full-time and have limited time for my music. I have many musical ideas and projects I would like to pursue.  I have a brand new PSR S970 just sitting in the box (for more than 2 months now) and no time to play it  at the moment  :(.

I encourage you to try these programs for yourself.  You may find one that works well for you.  There have been many posts regarding style-making on the Forum. I suggest you do a search and also read up on the PSR Tutorial Lessons. I have posted attachments a couple of times, but they can't be posted repeatedly here on the Forum, so a search should find them in time.

Maybe others who have created styles will post here as well with a different perspective.

Regards,
Joe H

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:30:53 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Henni

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »
Hi all,

The Audya comes with this "loop" library built in. It already comes with the correct chords, breaks, fills etc attached to it. It is a stylemaker's heaven indeed.

Here's the main link to the page hosting all the new styles that I've created for it during the past few days only & I am currently adding four to six new styles per day to it.

JoeH, I can only imagine what someone like yourself could do with such a tool in your hands...

Cheers,

Henni
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:01:38 AM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 05:16:55 AM »
I have never gone the route of using a midi file to create a style because I don't want to limit myself to only playing songs that I first must hunt down the midi. Because after hours of hunting, there isn't one ... so I can't play the song. No thanks to that line of thought.

Creating styles yourself is simple, but time consuming and all you need is the keyboard's Style Creator.

If you don't understand how a real band performs and works together you will most likely fail at creating styles. The first order of business is the drummer. What pattern is he doing during the Verse, Chorus and Instrumental sections of the song. You then hunt down within your 500 styles that come with your keyboard those 3 patterns. Trust me, thay are there. Only on a very few occasions have I needed to create the pattern myself.

Next find the type of break than the drummer does in the song. You probably have never noticed the different breaks before but to recreate a good song specific style, you need to get it right. Again you have hundred to choose from already contained in your keyboard.

Then you need to listen to the bass player and what he is doing during each of the 3 sections of the song. Yep, now you need to find those 3 patterns. Those are always there in your on board styles.

These two are the backbone of Popular Music today. Once you have them you can easily find the rhythm section which is generally Piano and/or guitar strum. I'll stop here in explaining what is required.

If you are a casual home player you won't want to spend 6 - 8 hours creating a style. I perform at regular gigs and use the song styles over and over again on a regular basis.  So, it is worth the time and effort to creating them for each song that I do.

I also have come upon styles that were created by using a midi file. These are styles others have shared with us at the forum. However in almost all cases, I have needed to change patterns in them to make them correct.

I post a new song regularly in the Performer Section of forum and explain the steps I take in creating each one which can give you more of an idea of how to go about making them yourself.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:20:48 AM by DrakeM »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:04:54 AM »
Henni,

It's only a matter of time.  I think Thomas will come thru with a StyleMagic update. 

I have a legacy Yamaha hardware RM1x Remixer-Sequencer with 7700 loops on board and deep editing capabilities.  I will invest some time this winter getting those loops converted to SMF format.  Once they are in the form of MIDI loops, I can turn them into Multi Pads.

I'm also going to attempt to create styles on the RM1x as well.  With StyleMagic, I can convert them to our arranger format very easily. I wish there was a PC software version of the RM1x... that would be awesome.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 12:23:09 AM »
rolfeilert,

I have invested a lot of time and effort in style creation.  It is not an easy process. It requires both technical skills (understanding MIDI and Yamaha's style file structure) and decent compositional skills.  The better your musical training, I believe the better results we can achieve creating styles from MIDI song files.

I play by ear. My musical training was minimal at 9 years old (a long time ago).

few people have succeeded at creating professional sounding styles using Style Creator on the keyboard, and few have succeeded in creating professional sounding styles using PC based software.

Free software includes: midi2style by Jorgen Sorensen and StyleMaker by Michael Bedesem (no longer supported).  Commercial software includes: StyleWorks by EMC, One Man Band by Joe Maas, and StyleMagic YA by midisoft.

I spent a year attempting to make good styles from song files. As Mike says, song files do not have the right repetitive musical phrases and motifs to build styles. So I took another approach.  I am currently without a keyboard at the moment, but I began making styles from MIDI loops (including Multi Pads).  I find this is a better approach since style files are made up of musical phrases and drum loops.  The problem is getting the loops in to the right format... IE CMaj7 scale.

I developed what I call Style Phrases; to build styles using Style Creator Assembly on the keyboard.  These are special style files with just a single drum loop, musical phrase, chord pattern, or string/synth pad that can be loaded on-the-fly in real-time... one style Part at a time.  Being able to hear phrases play together, change Voices, Pan position, add DSP, etc as the parts play together is a much better approach for most people with minimal musical skills like myself.

The problem I've run in to is not having a software utility that can create large quantities of useful loops.  It would require a database of 7000 to 8000 drum loops and musical phrases supporting many genre of musical tastes to choose from in order to build a library of good styles. 

My personal choice of software is StyleMagic by midisoft.  I have asked the author to add the capability to Import MIDI loops so we could build styles on the PC in a similar manner to Style Creator Assembly on the keyboard. Being able to load new loops into existing styles would also make it simple to modify existing styles easily and quickly.

I believe this method would open the door to style-making for a lot of people with minimal skills and bring reasonable results and would unleash a lot of creativity in a Forum like this one.

Don't get me wrong.  Simple styles can be achieve on the keyboard with Style Creator and with all the software mentioned above.  A lot goes into the production of Yamaha's styles.  Pro song writers, pro musicians, and sound engineers are employed to write, perform and mix the styles to the quality that come in our keyboards.

For the average hobbyist player like yours truly... I need all the help I can get, and maybe a bit little luck as well to produce a style worth sharing.  My initial attempts have been focused on Club Dance music, but my future efforts will be on creating Ballads, Smooth Jazz, New Age music, and maybe some styles for relaxation and meditation.  For the moment, my time is limited. I'm still working full-time and have limited time for my music. I have many musical ideas and projects I would like to pursue.  I have a brand new PSR S970 just sitting in the box (for more than 2 months now) and no time to play it  at the moment  :(.

I encourage you to try these programs for yourself.  You may find one that works well for you.  There have been many posts regarding style-making on the Forum. I suggest you do a search and also read up on the PSR Tutorial Lessons. I have posted attachments a couple of times, but they can't be posted repeatedly here on the Forum, so a search should find them in time.

Maybe others who have created styles will post here as well with a different perspective.

Regards,
Joe H

Sorry for the late reply, I have started the process of digging deeper into the material...... I have a natural anxiety towards manuals and menus, so I take it slow. My first attempt is to make some natural string guitar strumming (the on board arpeggiator sounds a little machine alike to my taste). Anyway, thankyou for your contribution.

The following users thanked this post: sunil