Author Topic: HELP!!! No Sounds - is my T5 broken?  (Read 14892 times)

Jpfe8851

HELP!!! No Sounds - is my T5 broken?
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:15:43 PM »
Hi All,

Before I call Yamaha service, when I switched on my T5 this morning, I got no sounds from it. Tried the headphone jack... Nothing. And no sounds pass through from the SK1 I have passing through but the headphone works directly with that. I've checked my slider assignments, done a factory reset both using the Utility and uppermost key at switch on. Nothing. Everything else seems to work so it looks like the outputs have failed.

Anyone had this before? Is it a service job? Any help before I take it to Yamaha appreciated...

Thanks,

t5student

Re: HELP!!! No Sounds - is my T5 broken?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:50:48 PM »
Hi, I doubt it is a serious matter. 

Anyway as per the user manual, it is worth to check the following. With the array of buttons simple things can mute volume

1. The master volume may be set too low. Set it to an appropriate level with the [MASTER
VOLUME] control.

2. All keyboard parts are set to off. Use the PART ON/OFF [RIGHT 1]/[RIGHT 2]/[RIGHT
3]/
button to turn it on (page 38).

3. The volume of individual parts may be set too low. Raise the volume in the BALANCE
display (page 61).

4. Make sure the desired channel is set to on in the CHANNEL display (pages 60, 75).

5. Headphones are connected, disabling the speaker output. Unplug the headphones.

6. If volume control is assigned to the [ASSIGN] slider or foot controller, set it to an appropriate
level.

7. The [FADE IN/OUT] button is on, muting the sound. Press the [FADE IN/OUT] button to
turn the function off.

8. Connect the footswitch to the appropriate jack.

9.Check whether the external speaker is connected and the volume control is adjusted
properly (pages 98, 106).

Jpfe8851

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:57:57 PM »
Thanks, but I have already confirmed none of these are the issue...

Jpfe8851

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 01:55:26 AM »
Update:

Spoke to Yamaha and looks like a service job. Given the time of year I suspect I won't get it back until January if they need parts. 😢

Elainehf

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 02:31:40 AM »
If you have volume pedal connected, unplug it.  Had this happen to me the other day after reconnecting everything after returning from an event.  Unplugged volume pedal and sound returned.

Elaine

Jpfe8851

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 02:50:13 AM »
Hi Elaine, thanks but that wasn't the issue. Must say I use a volume pedal always but never experienced no sound from its use. I've got everything unplugged and just headphones and still no sound.

Just talked with the technician who will repair it and he said it'll be the first T5 he's had in the shop. Yamaha highly recommended him so that gives me some comfort. With everything else apparently working, he suspects the audio module has died. Thankfully it's still under warranty of course.

When fixed I'll update this thread so others may benefit in future.

Cheers,

Jpfe8851

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »
I've just received confirmation that Yamaha is to replace the mainboard in my T5. I gather it is a rare occurrence. The sad news is it will need to come from Japan with an ETA of Jan 20. So looks like my Pa3X is going to get a lot of play over the next 4-5 weeks. Got to say that while the voices of the T5 are much more authentic in the main, the Pa's styles are **** good and I'm enjoying renewing my acquaintance with it.

Cheers,

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:47 PM »
At least they found the problem!

Rick D.

t5student

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 11:52:53 PM »
Hi John,

At least you have another instrument in the interim. It is also a good idea to protect the unit with a high quality surge protector plugged to the wall socket although power surge may not be the cause, in this instance.

Bets regards

Jpfe8851

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:22:40 AM »
Hi Rick, actually, I don't think they did find the cause but are replacing the mainboard because they know it will give me a working keyboard. The tech told me he hadn't identified the precise cause so I am assuming they will go over it pretty thoroughly to find out what happened for future reference. Must say, I'm impressed with both the tech and Yamaha for their service despite not knowing for sure what's happened.

Hi t5student, yes I agree and in my case all my electronic equipment is surge protected. The T5 shares the same surge protector with other gear including my Pa3X and SK-1 and both are unaffected and the surge protector indicates it's still functioning too. Don't believe a power surge was involved here.

And yes, I'm so very glad I kept the Pa when I purchased the T5 although I've been tempted to sell it many times due to infrequent use. In reality, I should still sell it and purchase a more humble backup since I don't need a spare for professional use as I am just a home user.

Jpfe8851

Re: HELP!!! No Sounds - is my T5 broken? IT'S BACK!!! Woohoo!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 04:46:30 AM »
Well done Yamaha and repairer Clive from Cleftronix. Got my T5 back this morning. All working and even been updated to 1.10. Took a half hour to restore my backup configuration, Music Finder and Expansion Packs. Also installed the Stage Pack free off the Yamaha Dutch support site. It's pretty darn good by the way.

They did replace the mainboard as advised before Christmas but yet to identify what happened. Apparently going back to Yamaha to check out. Thoughts are some how the DAC may have failed but the cause is as yet unknown. The important thing is it is repaired and functioning correctly and Yamaha didn't muck around. Just got on with what needed to be done and under warranty. Glad it was because the board costs over AU$1,600 to replace!

So nice to have it back... Now do I sell the Pa3X? Having played it regularly for the past month, I now realise I do much prefer my Tyros despite the Korg having some wonderfully authentic and natural sounding styles. It's starting to look like sense to go back to one keyboard.

Cheers

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
Glad you got it back and it is working properly now.

Rick D.

Jpfe8851

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
Thanks Rick. I'm also glad to report it appears extremely rare and unlikely to effect many owners.

Cheers

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
We all hope that's true!  :-\

Rick D.

Offline corsaman

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
I had something similar ... with unexpected errors by playing styles and midi files, but Yamaha Germany replaced the Mainboard on Guaranty (on 12.2.2018).

I asked the Technician for the cost and he told me 1400 euro only for the Mainboard.
After the replacement everything is running as on the beginning.
Now 2x Genos 1 ....before: 2xYamaha Tyros 5,Tyros 4, PSR 1500,1100,1000, Roland E-38,Technics KN920 and Estrada AR207

Offline Ingar

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »
Hi All,

Before I call Yamaha service, when I switched on my T5 this morning, I got no sounds from it. Tried the headphone jack... Nothing. And no sounds pass through from the SK1 I have passing through but the headphone works directly with that. I've checked my slider assignments, done a factory reset both using the Utility and uppermost key at switch on. Nothing. Everything else seems to work so it looks like the outputs have failed.

Anyone had this before? Is it a service job? Any help before I take it to Yamaha appreciated...

Thanks,
Yes but in my case, I forgot to remove big jackplug for headphones in the outlet..

Offline ton37

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
LOL, and I get scared too but I only had to replace the electricity cable which was broken ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:16:13 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton