Author Topic: MIDI Foot Controller  (Read 18969 times)

joemaldo

MIDI Foot Controller
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
Yamaha MFC10 MIDI Foot Controller

Does anyone have experience with this monster?
Any horror stories or successful experiences?

Looking forward to your insight . . .

THNX !!
JoeMaldo

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: MIDI Foot Controller
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »
Joe,

Seeing that you posted this question in the Tyros 5 column, you can easily use this foot
controller with the T5 as the T5 already has a built in interface program for setting it up.

Check the T5 Reference Manual, Page 142 for step by step instructions.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

joemaldo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
Thanks for your response . . . !
Do you currently use it?

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
Joe,

I had one from around 2000 and used it with all my Tyros keyboards, but after I sold my last Tyros, I also sold the MFC-10.

It was so easy to use with the Tyros keyboard, I highly recommend it, but it is big, heavy and expensive.  ;)

I'm sure if I purchase another Tyros I will want to have the MFC-10 too.  ;D ;D

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline TyrIA

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 02:51:52 AM »
Hey !

I ve read info that Behringer FCB 1010 suits  Tyros too , haven t checked myself yet , but I ll try , it s much cheaper and more easy to find.

Good luck.

carl.waring

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:38:53 PM »
Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not but as this was here I thought it best to use it.

I am considering buying an MFC-10 but what can it actually do on the Tyros. Will it trigger a Multi-pad, for example? How about starting a MIDI file playing or an audio file?

Thanks.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:06:48 PM »
Attached is a list of the functions on a Tyros4 that can be easily assigned to the footswitch 'buttons' on the MFC-10, by using the MFC-10 MIDI template built into Tyros models.

I assume that the list is very similar on other Tyros models.

Regards

Ian

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: Ed B

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 11:53:49 PM »
Joe,

I use one with my Tyros 5. It’s very easy to set up and works great. It keeps your hands free!
Here is a link that makes setting it up easy.
https://youtu.be/1XWWr6SdyjA

Rick D.

carl.waring

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:16:30 PM »
Well I finally got one and have set it up using the video posted above (Thanks for that!)

Except that it doesn't keep its settings. Why not? ie I set some functions up on the first 'page' just to give it a try. When I came back to it the next day it had gone back to the defaults. Do I need to 'save' the settings every time using the way described in the video? I can do that easily enough, of course. Just buy a couple of MIDI leads; out > in and in < out.

Also, slightly annoyed that there isn't an easier way to access the other 'pages' of functions in that I have to  tap the "x10" button some others whilst playing. Unless I'm missing something?

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:46:32 AM »
Hi Carl,

When you 'program' the MFC10 from the Tyros template, all that you are basically doing as far as the footswitch buttons are concerned is setting them up to transmit notes.  Once this is done the MFC10 should start up each time in this mode with the correct MIDI channel set for transmitting the notes to the Tyros.  At this point you can remove the lead from the Tyros MIDI Out to MFC10 MIDI In, and use it for sending the notes from the MFC10 to the Tyros by connecting MFC10 MIDI Out to Tyros MIDI In  (A or B depending on what you have selected in the template). You don't really need two MIDI cables.

On the MIDI template's MFC10 page, once you have assigned the functions that you want to be carried out when the Tyros receives notes from the MFC10 (or any MIDI device for that matter), you need to save them in the Tyros' USER drive as a User MIDI Template.

When you have finished setting the functions in the template, press EXIT and you should see tabs for the Preset drive and the User drive. 

You can only save to the User drive, so tab to it and you should see the 'SAVE' icon light up (lower #6 button on Tyros4).
Press it and save the MIDI Setup file just like saving any other type of file.  Change the name when saving  to avoid confusion  with the preset version of the MIDI template that you started from.

Your new template should now be highlighted in the selection list, indicating that it is the currently selected MIDI template, and this will remain the selected one, even through power off/on cycles, until you change it or carry out a system reset.

Bear in mind that your edited MIDI template will also contain settings for the MIDI System, Transmit and Receive setup etc. as contained in the other pages of the template that you started from.  So if you have any specific needs regarding these, make sure that you start from a suitable template, or one that you have edited to incorporate your needs.  If you don't use MIDI for anything else, then the 'All Parts' template is probably the best to start from.

Regards

Ian

carl.waring

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 01:09:27 AM »
When you 'program' the MFC10 from the Tyros template, all that you are basically doing as far as the footswitch buttons are concerned is setting them up to transmit notes.  Once this is done the MFC10 should start up each time in this mode with the correct MIDI channel set for transmitting the notes to the Tyros.  At this point you can remove the lead from the Tyros MIDI Out to MFC10 MIDI In, and use it for sending the notes from the MFC10 to the Tyros by connecting MFC10 MIDI Out to Tyros MIDI In  (A or B depending on what you have selected in the template). You don't really need two MIDI cables.
Yep. Done all that.  I meant to pose the "two MIDI leads" thing as a question as I thought that might be how it saved the configuration but I guess not :)

On the MIDI template's MFC10 page, once you have assigned the functions that you want to be carried out when the Tyros receives notes from the MFC10 (or any MIDI device for that matter), you need to save them in the Tyros' USER drive as a User MIDI Template.
So I might need a new MID template for every song; if I want to use different functions for different songs? Seems rather excessive! Let's see if I can avoid that ;)

Thanks for the other info; duly noted.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:12:00 AM by carl.waring »

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 06:29:58 PM »
Carl,
I don’t understand why that would be necessary, as you can have up to 30 different button assignments on a single setup. Check out the video I posted awhile ago, to see how to do this.

Rick D.

carl.waring

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
Hi Rick.

As I said, I used your video as a walkthrough to set it up  ;)

I know you can but, as I mentioned, that would mean having to change "pages" on the controller whilst playing. Okay, probably more annoying than difficult and I could get used to it.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
Carl,
Yes, this is true, but I thought you could have three sets of ten pedal assignments, that would only require a setup at the beginning of a song.
If you need more then ten pedal functions for a song, this wouldn't work.
I'm curious as to how you are using the pedals for so many different things.
Being an old organ player I guess I am used to my hands making all the changes on the fly, and only use the pedals for things like articulation, stopping and starting, registration changes and sometimes score page changes.
goog Luck,

Rick D.

carl.waring

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 10:05:45 PM »
Yes, this is true, but I thought you could have three sets of ten pedal assignments, that would only require a setup at the beginning of a song.
I only just bought it so I have no idea what you can or cannot do with it; hence the questions  :D

If you need more then ten pedal functions for a song, this wouldn't work.
If you say so.

I'm curious as to how you are using the pedals for so many different things.
I'm not. That's the point. I could manage with ten functions per song/medley/memory/whatever. Just not necessarily the same ten.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:09:16 PM by carl.waring »

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 11:52:40 PM »
Carl,
Just experiment with it.

Once you get the unit initially programmed, it is very easy to make changes to pedal assignments within the Tyros.
You mentioned having different setups for each song. YOu can do this, but what I don't know is if you can call them up with registrations.
I will play around with it and get back to you.
Maybe someone else would know the answer to this.

Rick D.

Offline Doghouse Riley

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 05:06:14 AM »
I've a question regarding the foot switch options, of a Tyros 5 I've just purchased. (I'm finished with recording to floppy discs) .

I can get  my twenty year-old PSR 1000 foot volume control to work fine. But when I set one of the other foot switches that would work on previous models I've a problem. If I set one to "style stop/start." it works fine. But if I turn this Tyros off, when it is switched back on the foot switch has changed back to "Articulation," which is was on before.

How can I get it to stay on "style stop/start," permanently?

The other foot switch that I used on a Yamaha piano I had before the PSR, I wanted to use for "sustain," it will stay on this but doesn't actually work, regardless of the polarity setting.
Any help would be appreciated.

Whoops! I've sussed the style stop start. You have to save it  for every panel registration. Still got a problem with the sustain.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:55:21 AM by Doghouse Riley »
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline CrzyCDN

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 05:36:44 AM »
I can vouch for the Beringer FCB1010 foot controller.
Very durable and cheap.  A used one can be had for about $100
Once it is programmed, all required functions can be changed in the Midi MFC10 menu. 
There is a software "FCB1010 Editor" available online (by Mountain Systems) for the pedal that makes it a breeze to program. A Google search will find it.
Good Luck - Regards Ted

norrimac

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »
Joe,

I use one with my Tyros 5. It’s very easy to set up and works great. It keeps your hands free!
Here is a link that makes setting it up easy.
https://youtu.be/1XWWr6SdyjA

Rick D.

Rick, as it's a while since you posted this, are you still using the MFC10? I'm having an issue with mine, Norm.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 06:34:11 PM »
Yes Norm,
I still use mine, but it is now with the Genos.
What kind of problems are you having?

Rick D.

norrimac

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 11:09:40 PM »
Hi Rick, thanks for replying!

I connected it and sent the info to it from the Tyros as shown in the video, no problem there.

Change the cable to 'Midi out' as instructed. All good.

The buttons, however, are doing nothing at all. I have a hunch it's either something silly I've missed in the 'functions' page on the Tyros or maybe it's the 'F' button on the pedals is set incorrectly.

Any suggestions welcome!

Norm.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 12:00:41 AM »
Norm,

So you followed the video and made certain all the settings on the pedal are as they should be?

If so the next thing is to make sure your display on the pedal board is in F mode. It should say F01 not F10 if it does click on the X10 button and press the O button then 1 thru 9.

If that isn’t the problem, make sure the cable goes from midi out on the pedal board to midi in on the Tyros. Also take note of which midi you are plugged into in the keyboard A or B and make sure you have that selected as noted on page 142 of the Tyros 5 Reference Manual.

I’m not sure if you have the Reference Manual or not, but it shows you how to send info to the pedal board. If you need it let me know.

Let me know what you find.

Rick D.

norrimac

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 12:19:54 PM »
Morning Rick,

Yes, I connected as per the video and now I can see thr F01 as you suggest.

Now when I hit a button I get a very low octave piano increasing in semitones, not the functions.

Here are pics of what I'm seeing.

Norm.

norrimac

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »
Sorry, just trying o compress the pictures Rick, back in a minute... >:(

norrimac

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
Footboard

norrimac

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 12:46:31 PM »
Control panel

norrimac

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »
Rick, should've mentioned that with the F button LED ON, I can hear the piano.

With it OFF, the main LEDs in the centre change to 001,002 according to which button I press.

N

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
Good Morning Norm,

What is the history of your MFC-10? Did you buy it new? Have you ever had it working on another keyboard?

You are sure that you are plugged into the right midi jack on the back of the Tyros? It has to match what is selected in your second picture top right corner. 
Did you select channel 16 on the MFC-10? It has to match what is selected in your second picture top right, CH Select. Point 7:30 on the video shows how to select output channel of MFC-10
If you make any changes you have to start over, change the MIDI cable back to the setup mode. Midi Out on keyboard to MIDI In on MFC-10, and then hit Send MFC-10 Setup again as in your second picture. Then switch the cable back to MIDI OUt on MFC-10 and MIDI IN on Tyros.
You do want to be in the F Mode, I am not sure why you are getting any piano sounds when you hit a button on the MFC-10.
With F mode off you will get as you say 001, 002. You want it to say F01, F02.
If this has been done properly it should work, unless there is a problem with you MFC-10, that's why I asked the history of it.
If you think this is a pain in the butt, wait till you try to do it on the Genos. They took away the setup window on the Genos, making it a lot harder to set up.

Hope this helps,

Rick D.

norrimac

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 03:20:42 PM »
Thanks Rick, I'm going to mess with it and try again.

I bought the pedal new from the Yam dealer and he said, "Remember to cross yourself and say 10 Hail Marys..."

Maybe that's it, I'm not a Catholic? Anyway, will get back 2 ya.

N

norrimac

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 03:51:00 PM »
ARRRRRGGGGGGGH!!!

In the words of John F. Kennedy, "I AM A DONUT!!!"

I had it plugged into MIDI A and not B. I need therapy, but I did warn you...

Thanks ever so much, Rick, I've had that **** pedal board for 3 years and never been able to get it going. THANK YOU!

If I change the assignments to the switches, do I have to reload the settings?

Norm.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:27 PM »
Hey Norm,

Don't despair, everyone has trouble with these things. I'm glad you figured it out, and got yourself up and running. I couldn't live without mine. The Genos is the third keyboard I have had it on. I started with the Tyros 4 then the 5, then moved to Genos in October. They are all great keyboards. Hopefully Yamaha will add the MFC-10 back in the menu of the Genos, but I doubt it, as they don't make it anymore.
Funny you mention JFK, that's the name of my street and I am Catholic LOL!

I am not sure if you have to reload the settings, I have never changed mine in about 12 years. I like to keep the assignments the same so I can find them without looking. I would say try changing one and see what happens, if it doesn't work you will h ave to reload it.
 I bought mine from a gentlemen in this forum. He also gave me a homemade stand to put it on which tilts it toward you and makes it easier to hit the buttons. You may want to try one. I can send you a picture of it, if you want.

Rick D.

norrimac

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2020, 06:53:15 PM »
Dammit man, that's a great idea for a stand! I've size 11 feet so the upper row I can't hit without catching the lower row too.

I'll try resetting some of the switches tonight and i'll let you know how I got on.

Once again MANY, MANY thanks for your input!

Norm.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »
Norm,
Here are a couple of pictures. He covered it with rug too, so it wouldn't slip around.

Rick D.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020, 07:22:30 PM »
Norm,

Here is another.

Rick D.

norrimac

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 09:36:41 AM »
Hi Rick, thanks!

Sorry, I missed this reply. That's very useful. I think I'll maybe make the angle a bit steeper, dunno. Thanks again.

Just out of interest, what actions do YOU have assigned to your buttons?

BTW, Is there a way to set my profile so I get emailed when a reply appears? I can't see it...

Norm.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 11:50:14 AM »
Hi Norm,

No problem, there is a way to get notified of a response to a post. There is a button at the bottom of each post called NOTIFY, if you click it you will get an email when someone responds.

Below is what I have assigned to my MFC-10. I also have three other pedals, a volume pedal even though the MFC-10 has one, because for me it is not where I am used to finding it, a piano sustain pedal, and another pedal to change registrations of the registration sequencer. I also have a bluetooth page turning pedal to change pages on my iPad for sheet music. It sounds confusing, but I have been using this same setup for years, and it  has become second nature.
I have size 10.5 shoes and that angle works good for me, although higher might be better. I included a picture of my pedals.

Key                 Function            Pedal #
CC#32/E1        Art. 1 Rt.1            1
CC#23/G0      Art. 2 Rt.1            2
CC#8/E1         Art. 3 Rt.1            3
CC#9/F1          Fill Self            4
C#10/ F#1       Fill Break            5
CC#12/Ab1      Multi Pad 1          6
CC#13/A1            Fade            7
CC#14/Bb1   Score +            8
CC#15/B1              Score -            9
CC#0/C#1   Stop/ Start         0

Enjoy,

Rick D.

norrimac

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 12:14:53 PM »
Wow, you've really got that sorted! No way could anyone else play that rig without a "Rick D degree"!

That's very useful as usual, Rick. Thanks. Wish I could reciprocate your generosity. The only thing I'm good at is arranging and musicality, ie understanding how to get the best out of a tune in front of a live audience.

I'm not at all tech-oriented. Learned on a Hammond M-102 split a la Procol Harum  'Whiter Shade of Pale' back in the late 60s/early70s, so I still miss my bass pedals. (They make playing 9ths, 11ths and 13ths easy.)

I played live using Korg keyboards for a long time and the T5 is my first Yam, so I had no 'pre-school' in PSRs at all and the OS of the Yam is still a challenge.

So your input is well appreciated.

Still locked in the house here in Spain, so plenty of time to practce/study!

Norm.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 01:15:42 PM »
Norm,

You'd be surprised how after a couple of weeks, you won't even have to look at the pedals, it becomes second nature.
No need to reciprocate, that's what this forum is all about. We all help each other. I know over the years, I have received plenty of help myself.

I have always liked tech and after a career for 35 years as a union master mechanic for heavy construction equipment, I spent the  last 5 years working in IT for a large company, which I really enjoyed. Not sure how I made the transition, I guess that stuff comes naturally to me.
My Dad always had an organ and a piano in the house when I was a kid. We had a Thomas, and many Lowery's over the years. When I got married I bought a Lowery Holiday Symphonic, for our house. Then Lowery went out of business and I switched to a Yamaha Electone HS-6. When I went to upgrade that, the prices for that type keyboard were near $24,000. That's when I discovered, the PSR and Tyros keyboards, and never went back. I also have a Avant Grande Hybrid N2 Piano, which is a great digital piano. I like yourself, do miss the pedals, but, these keyboards are so good, I never looked back.
I  had very limited lessons as a kid, but I did get the fundamentals on piano, then got bored and switched to trumpet, in the school band, then I went back to organs, because playing a trumpet alone is not that much fun either. I probably took a year collectively of organ lessons over a 3 year span as a kid, with many different teachers. I and lucky to be able to play both by ear and read music. My Dad inspired me the most, and he always felt every child should be given the chance to try some king of  musical instrument.  I have tried passing that on to my nieces and nephews, so far so good. Several of them play various instruments, four of them play piano.
Now that I am retired, I have had more time to do more with my keyboards. The Genos is a great keyboard and the touch screen is so much easier to work with. I hope someday to start doing some multi track recording, but I have always thought that there is a fine line between playing music and work. Sometimes sitting for hours trying to multi track is more like work then enjoyment.
I only play for my own enjoyment. I have never played in a band or out. It seems I have a bit of stage fright! LOL!

I am in Boston and we are locked down as well. My wife and I have been doing a lot of hiking alone, just to get out of the house. Hopefully this will pass soon.

Glad I was able to help you,

Rick D.

norrimac

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2020, 03:35:39 PM »
Hi Rick, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The foot pedal is working great, thanks.

I tried changing the assignations for the switches as I actually prefer to use my fingers for moving thru the drum breaks etc.

It appears to me that it works fine as long as you save the changes when in the 'Midi function' page. I switched the T5 off and on and it retained the reset functions.

See ya soon, no doubt!

Norm.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2020, 03:37:55 PM »
Good to know.

Thanks Norm.

Rick D.