PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 05:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
189,700 Posts in 25,031 Topics by 4,389 Members
Latest Member: tyrosnovice
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 5  |  Topic: Peter Baartmans a Live Demo Presentation of Tyros 5 ! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peter Baartmans a Live Demo Presentation of Tyros 5 !  (Read 2585 times)
Scott Yee

Yamaha Tyros 5 !

« on: January 17, 2014, 12:07:47 AM »

Here's a terrific live (from Romania) Tyros 5 demo presented by Peter Baartmans    Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7no76WxwGv0

I'm going to be attending the   Namm Show in Anaheim, California next week, so more excited than ever now to have the opportunity see Mr Baartmans present a similar Tyros 5 demo in the Yamaha Showroom there. I  can't play even remotely as well as Peter, but I can attest that when I sit down and play my Tyros 5 it sounds to both my ears and my audience, every bit as dynamically live and realistic as when Baartmans demos it. The beauty of Tyros 5 to me is simply being able to sit down and play it and having it sounding terrific pretty much out of the box.  This is the first Keyboard I've owned where I can honestly say that. I'm the first to admit I'm a keyboard 'player' and don't enjoy so much having to be a sound engineer, so for the first time on an arranger, I'm able to  sit down and enjoy playing it and not have to spend an inordinate amount of frustrating time tweaking it to get it to sound the way I want.

BTW, anyone else here going to be at Namm next week too?
I'll be arriving on Wednesday  but leaving on Friday around noon. Would be great to meet up with forum members there.
PM, email me, or post a reply if interested. Smiley

Scott

jimo
Supporter

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:33:51 AM »

Hello.

Great stuff on a marvelouse instrument.

I would not have a single braced stand though............... bit unstable?  Undecided

Cheers Jim.
stephenm52
PSR Performer

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:57:03 AM »

Great demo, thanks Scott. Enjoy NAMM, tell Frank I was asking for him since he was out sick the day I was at his store to pick up my T5.

Tyros5 -76 Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa3x, 
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks
s_cristi

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 02:37:49 AM »

I was about to post the video but Scott was quicker than me  Wink

Too bad I didn't know he would be presenting the Tyros 5 here.

Blessed be the Lord God Almighty! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXtWlf3fZRw
PSR 3000
Marcus

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 05:30:45 AM »

Hi Scott

Great find. Nice demo with good video and sound demonstrating the Tyros 5. I love Peter Baartman's demos, one of the best players around. He just needs to cut back on his sugar in his coffee or tea. Maybe a little overkill with the sound system in that size room, but it must of sounded really good being there in person.

At 1:40 this guy walks he and humbly gets taken back that there isn't a four piece Jazz band performing. I am sure with those big speakers anyone outside the room wouldn't of guessed only one single keyboard from the sound.

At 6:20 there is this guy in bright pants sitting in the front row. I think I recognize him from an earlier Tyros 5 demo video. He probably works for Fly Music and is seen later standing by the door and perhaps is going to play after Peter.

At 11:00 Peter talks about the Trombones and how they were greatly improved on the Tyros 5 from previous Tyros models. We were after Yamaha for years to give us SA2 trombones. Finally great trombones on the Tyros 5 and included in the Ensemble voices.

At 13:50 he goes into length discussing and demoing the Ensemble feature. At 14:55 I really love his rendition of the Passion Chorale (Hans Leo Hassler) using Bach harmonies while using suitable Ensemble Voices. Maybe playing the Chorale a bit too fast, but beautifully done.

For those Tyros 5 players worried about having to be a piano player or have harmony knowledge in order to use the Ensemble feature, Peter demonstrates how the Ensemble Harmony function can be set to allow all four instruments parts to play using only one note at a time with your right hand playing. The actual song with single note play starts at 17:40 with explanation starting at 17:00. I really love the Ensemble feature and how Yamaha decided to allow style auto-play at the same time.

Would of loved to hear Peter Baartman at the winter NAMM 2014, but no travelling for a while after buying my Tyros 5. Scott, maybe report back afterwords with your experiences there. I believe you also previously went to the NAMM around the time you got your Tyros 4? Sounds like a great time. I know a few forum members do make it out there. Thanks for the video link.

Regards, Marcus

Michael R
Assoc Member

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »

Here's part 2 of the same demo
Michael

http://youtu.be/NaHA6zALkLc
iulistil2
Asst. Member

Tyros 4 & PSR A2000

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »

Hello! I personally participated in live and filmed and edited these demos with Peter Baartmans (2014-01-15) and I'm glad you like the demos to Peter the Tyros 5 and www.orgaforum.ro own this site and you tube channel. Thanks for viiew! Peter Baartmans is a great musician!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:23:45 PM by iulistil2 » Logged

stephenm52
PSR Performer

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:35:39 AM »

Hello! I personally participated in live and filmed and edited these demos with Peter Baartmans (2014-01-15) and I'm glad you like the demos to Peter the Tyros 5 and www.orgaforum.ro own this site and you tube channel. Thanks for viiew! Peter Baartmans is a great musician!

Cool must have been a fun gig.

What is the name of the song that starts at about 17:20?

Tyros5 -76 Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa3x, 
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks
iulistil2
Asst. Member

Tyros 4 & PSR A2000

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »

Here's a terrific live (from Romania) Tyros 5 demo presented by Peter Baartmans    Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7no76WxwGv0

I'm going to be attending the   Namm Show in Anaheim, California next week, so more excited than ever now to have the opportunity see Mr Baartmans present a similar Tyros 5 demo in the Yamaha Showroom there. I  can't play even remotely as well as Peter, but I can attest that when I sit down and play my Tyros 5 it sounds to both my ears and my audience, every bit as dynamically live and realistic as when Baartmans demos it. The beauty of Tyros 5 to me is simply being able to sit down and play it and having it sounding terrific pretty much out of the box.  This is the first Keyboard I've owned where I can honestly say that. I'm the first to admit I'm a keyboard 'player' and don't enjoy so much having to be a sound engineer, so for the first time on an arranger, I'm able to  sit down and enjoy playing it and not have to spend an inordinate amount of frustrating time tweaking it to get it to sound the way I want.

BTW, anyone else here going to be at Namm next week too?
I'll be arriving on Wednesday  but leaving on Friday around noon. Would be great to meet up with forum members there.
PM, email me, or post a reply if interested. Smiley

Scott

Reactived video new  ! Wink

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »

Impressive as the new Emsemble feature is on the T5, the horns don't sound realistic.  Yamaha has come a long way with the SA2 slice & splice technology, but it can never achieve the articulation of an actual horn or flute player... unless the Polyphonic Aftertouch can be mapped to Velocity or Volume... which would require a new playing technique that may not be so easy for some.

This reminds me of the VL technology that came out in the late 1990s. The VL-1 and follow-up sound modules required a whole new way of playing using a Breath Controller or WX Wind Controller learning to tweak the VL parameters to your personal playing style.  It looks like learning to play the Ensemble Voices with 1,2,3,or 4, Voices requires concentration and a new playing technique.

This is a wonderful example of Yamaha's inovations.  Unfortunately sometimes these are not embraced wholeheartedly by the consumer because of the difficulty in learning the technology or techniques required to play them to their fullest potential.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:10:33 PM by Joe H » Logged

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music. Download Registrations, Styles & Multi Pads:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Marcus

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »

Impressive as the new Emsemble feature is on the T5, the horns don't sound realistic.  Yamaha has come a long way with the SA2 slice & splice technology, but it can never achieve the articulation of an actual horn or flute player... unless the Polyphonic Aftertouch can be mapped to Velocity or Volume... which would require a new playing technique that may not be so easy for some.

This reminds me of the VL technology that came out in the late 1990s. The VL-1 and follow-up sound modules required a whole new way of playing using a Breath Controller or WX Wind Controller learning to tweak the VL parameters to your personal playing style.  It looks like learning to play the Ensemble Voices with 1,2,3,or 4, Voices requires concentration and a new playing technique.

This is a wonderful example of Yamaha's inovations.  Unfortunately sometimes these are not embraced wholeheartedly by the consumer because of the difficulty in learning the technology or techniques required to play them to their fullest potential.

Joe H
Hi Joe

As with any new feature, there is a certain learning curve to maximize the full usefulness such as the Tyros 5 Ensemble feature. The realism or unique concept was to simulate the ensemble of various instrument combinations controlled automatically from your keyboard playing, allowing up to four different instruments to sound at a time ( playing manually or through style auto harmony ).

More of the individual or solo instrument voices are better served through the SA2 voices. The ensemble voice combinations are going to require some playing technique or a playing technique that would simulate the instruments and the interaction in a real ensemble. Yamaha did a pretty good job with the ensemble voice presets. You can easily edit the presets to your liking or playing style. The voices will not work like SA2 voices, but other ensemble and harmony parameters are available.

As with my Tyros 5 styles, I basically tweaked every style to my liking and in the same manner tweaked the ensemble voices for my own edit saves. The only additional parameter I wished was there is aftertouch. Aftertouch control could of been more handy for more user expression, but I think the concept leans more towards the instruments working together as an ensemble, not trying to control expression for each individual instrument voice.

If you select ensemble presets that are close to what you want, you can go into edit and adjust the various parameters or change to entirely different individual voices. Probably the most useful parameter change is the key assign type. A more suitable key assign type might help lean towards your playing style or technique. It took me quite a bit of experimentation to get the settings I liked.

I saved my ensemble voices by category folders on my hard drive and created registration banks to access the voices that way. Once saved in this manner, I was also able to save the ensemble combinations to the 4 OTS slots for certain styles. The ensemble feature will still work in the exact same manner even through OTS saves. Simply awesome for live performances once all your saves are made.

Coincidentally, I still have my Yamaha MU100r sound module that came with a VH board and the VL board you spoke of. I did get interesting effects and sounds with a wind controller and changing the various pitch, filter, amplitude, and LFO depth with this physical modelling technique, it took a lot of practice and tweaking to simulate a realistic instrument.

Seeing all these innovations through the years, the most realism I ever seen or heard is through the SA2 technology for individual instrument voices, and perhaps the Tyros 5 ensemble feature to control ensemble voicing. All these technologies and techniques require a certain amount of practice so that the user expression can ultimately show through. I hope this helped somewhat.

Regards, Marcus
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 05:26:37 AM »

Hi Marcus,

All this sounds similar to the VL technology.  Yamaha Presets need tweaking before they really will shine.  It's my opinion that the SA2 technology was an outgrowth of the VL technology in the sense of... How can we get the expressiveness of the VL Voices (which is accomplished with computer modeling) with PCM samples?

I think it is great Yamaha continues to inovate. If you have followed another recent thread, it sounds like the business model of inovation has cost the company corporate profits.  I hope Yamaha finds a way to continue to innovate and increase their market share to make shareholders happy.

My point about the horns is that while the samples sound great, the Attack and Release Envelopes are wrong, not to mention the lack of Velocity variations (Volume) so characteristic of wind instruments. To me about 50% of the expression of wind instruments is in attenuation, the other 50% is accomplished by trills, growl, formant, pitchbend, changes in resonance and harmonic content, by the use of throat and tonguing techniques., etc

I wish Yamaha would have continued to develop more and better VL Voices. In my opinion, it is the most expressive MIDI instrument sounds I have ever heard, but it requires a lot of practice just like the real instruments to get them to sound convincing

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:58:54 PM by Joe H » Logged

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music. Download Registrations, Styles & Multi Pads:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 5  |  Topic: Peter Baartmans a Live Demo Presentation of Tyros 5 ! « previous next »
Jump to: