PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 12:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
143,587 Posts in 20,229 Topics by 4,451 Members
Latest Member: tony1543
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Yamaha Keyboards  |  Yamaha Keyboards - General (Moderator: Bill Grosse)  |  Topic: NEWEST KORG PA-900 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 »  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEWEST KORG PA-900  (Read 17282 times)
Jeff Hollande

« on: June 29, 2013, 03:23:10 AM »

Hi,

Hope Yamaha will give some T4 successor information soon.

Here you will find the new KORG PA 900 ( PA 800 successor, I guess ? ).

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Korg-PA-900-Professional-Arranger-Keyboard/TYW

Best regards, Jeff

RF

Keyboards: Tyros 2 and Korg Micro Arranger

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 03:31:26 AM »

PA 900 is the answer to PSR S950, and a good answer.
PA 900 has some features, you may find in the Tyros line only.
I could imagine, when I change to PSR S950, I may find the missing Tyros features in an additional PA 900.
And two times 11 kg is easier to carry, than 16 kg.

Kind regards
Ronny F
RF

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 03:35:39 AM »

The real PA 800 successor is the 61-key version of PA3x. PA 900 has nearly the same price as PSR S950 and Roland BK9. Could be one reason, why the BK9 may haven't much success and why some people may change from Yamaha to Korg.
I have a style collection, so I really need a Yamaha.

Kind regards
Ronny F
Bill Grosse

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »

Korg has a very good implementation of the touch screen on the PA900, but
Roland has stumbled badly with the BK9 as they still use the menu plus wheel
for selecting nearly everything - Yamaha did away with this over a decade
back on the PSR's.

If I didn't already have the S950, I would definitely be having a serious argument
with myself about jumping the Yamaha ship.  Wink

For goodness sake, having new material is what buying a new keyboard is about!  Shocked

Bill G
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:23:45 AM by Bill Grosse » Logged

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
s_cristi

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »

Marco Parisi does the best demos of Korg products (as much as I know Tongue)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcSHQP9tJJA

Blessed be the Lord God Almighty! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXtWlf3fZRw
PSR 3000
RF

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 02:28:34 AM »

When I analyze the songs, I use to play, it would be a big "no no" to replace my Tyros 2 by something from the PSR-S line, for in some songs I really need 3 right parts..
When I analyze, how to carry to gigs, the PSR-S line would save some kilograms.
Hard to decide. Do I carry more and can do more with the music or do I carry less and have some limitations on stage.
In case of Korg PA 900: Same size and same weight as PA 600 but not much limits, compared with PA 3x.

Kind regards
Ronny F
jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 04:49:12 AM »

PA 900 does have 3 right hand voices so I'd have thought it would be the main contender for many,  just for that, and then there are all the other features to play with, not found on a PSR and sometimes not even Tyros!
Knowing there are 3RH voice models out there I would be hard pressed to consider getting a 2 voice model and that includes Clavinovas Embarrassed Grin
All this pre-supposes the Korg voices would be regarded as equivalent or at least editable to users' tastes (as I usually end up doing with Ty4).  
Difficult to tell without actually trying one - for a few weeks??
john
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:05:33 AM by jwyvern » Logged
Bill Grosse

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »

The PA900 also has after touch and sampling capability with on the keyboard editing of the samples - Holy Cow!!!!  Cool Shocked Shocked

Sure the T4 has 8 element sample with velocity switching and the PA900 only a single element, but the PSR-S950 has none of this.
We can't even use the YEP file area for out own sounds.

Korg also occasionally gives keyboard OS updates adding new features and Yamaha has never done this with the PSR's.

The PA-900 allows accessing the Performances(aka - registrations) in the Song Book (aka Music Finder) - Has Korg been reading the wishes for Yamaha here??  Huh

Bill G

EileenL
Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 S950.
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »

I think the price for this is just under 2000. My S950 I paid 1599 so it is a little more expensive. Unless they have changed the operating system they are quite fiddly to set up.

Jackuar
Assoc Member

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:49:03 AM »

've been reading online that the street price is quoted at $1899.. What does that mean - the actual retail price would end up being more than that or less?

-- The day is near, I'm looking at a ray of light at the end of the tunnel Smiley --
Bill Grosse

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »

Still not a bad price considering the features.

Deep voice editing on the keyboard without the need for external software and you don't get that even on the T4 at $4,000.

This thing is looking better and better.

Bill G

Bill

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 08:17:19 AM »

Hi All

The Street price in the UK is 1499 with delivery expected 1 Nov.

Bill

England
Volkmin
Asst. Member

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »

Far as I know, the PA900 will be possible to import Korg and SF2 format! It will be great, provided that it will be possible sampling as with PA2/3x, and edited on the keyboard.
EileenL
Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 S950.
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 08:04:20 AM »

I read that Hamiltons have a price of 1999 so must waite and see.

Bill

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:40 AM »

Hi Eileen

It was Hamilton's that show the price of 1499 street price.  The RRP is only 1799

Bill

England
tyrosaurus

Tyros 4

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »

Hi Eileen,

Several UK retailers are stating the RRP (or SRP or List Price) for the PA-900 as 1799 incl VAT.

Those dealers currently posting a discounted price all seem to be offering it at 1499 incl VAT, including A.C Hamilton and it's on-line offshoot 'Instruments2go'.  
This price would make it cheaper than the PSR-S950 and the Roland BK-9 which is presumably Korg's intention.

Here are a few links...

http://www.achamilton.co.uk/Korg/PA900/index.htm

http://www.instruments2go.co.uk/Korg-PA900-Keyboard-p-5329.html?gclid=CMng1P7Qk7gCFVMRtAodpVMAqw

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/65338-korg-pa900-professional-arranger-keyboard.html

http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/korg-pa900-professional-arranger-keyboard.ir?cName=pianos-keyboards-home-keyboards

BTW, if anyone is interested in the User Manual which I couldn't find on the US Korg site, here is a link to it ...

http://www.korgpa.com/en/support/products/arrangers/pa900/pa900-manuals.html

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:54:15 AM by tyrosaurus » Logged
DonYoung
Don Young

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »

Hi,

Hope Yamaha will give some T4 successor information soon.

Here you will find the new KORG PA 900 ( PA 800 successor, I guess ? ).

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Korg-PA-900-Professional-Arranger-Keyboard/TYW

Best regards, Jeff

I just got an email from Korg today telling me the PA-900 won't be available in the country until the fall of this year.  Don't understand that but I guess they know what they are telling me.  Don
Jeff Hollande

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »

It is strange Yamaha are not announcing their new baby ( Tyros 5 ) yet ...
Since we do not hear anything, the T5 will not be available until the end of 2014, I guess ?

Best regards, Jeff
Bill

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 02:51:55 AM »

Rumour has it that the Distributors are going to a Demo of the new falgship model in the middle of October.  Apparently they have been invited to Spain for the weekend.

Bill.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:57:24 AM by Bill » Logged

England
Bill Grosse

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 07:13:32 AM »

The Korg PA900 will not be available until November - could be they wanted to get the jump on Yamaha.  Wink

Also, Korg is noted for jumping the price just before availability, so maybe it will be competitive with the S950 and maybe not.

At any rate history indicates the Tyros replacement will be priced at around $7,000.00  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Bill G

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 11:27:32 AM »

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for this interesting info.
If that new high end keyboard wil have the indicated price, we may expect something very special, I guess.
Hope Yamaha will not wait too long to launch the specs.

Best regards, Jeff
DonYoung
Don Young

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »

The PA900 also has after touch and sampling capability with on the keyboard editing of the samples - Holy Cow!!!!  Cool Shocked Shocked

Sure the T4 has 8 element sample with velocity switching and the PA900 only a single element, but the PSR-S950 has none of this.
We can't even use the YEP file area for out own sounds.

Korg also occasionally gives keyboard OS updates adding new features and Yamaha has never done this with the PSR's.

The PA-900 allows accessing the Performances(aka - registrations) in the Song Book (aka Music Finder) - Has Korg been reading the wishes for Yamaha here??  Huh

Bill G

Bill, this looks like a great alternative to the PSR-950.  I can't wait until it is in the US and take a look at it.  Don
Bill Grosse

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »

Don,

If Korg does make the PA900 available at the prices we see quoted for now, it could well knock the S950 off most shopping lists this Christmas.

I really like the fact Korg often gives more features in OS updates - something never done by Yamaha with the PSR's.

Bill G

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »

Bill G,

There is one exception... the PSR 9000 Pro. Yamaha did a major update of the OS after its original release which added many of the features which are standard now and demonstrates that Yamaha COULD do this as a regular practice if they wanted to.  Firmware updates are common with digital devices. I hope Korg forces Yamaha in this direction, it would be just plain good marketing and business sense.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:55:33 AM by Joe H » Logged

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music. Download Registrations, Styles & Multi Pads:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Bill Grosse

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »

JOe,

That is true sort of - there was also the 9000 which did not get the update and the 9000 Pro was a pretty good price jump as I recall.

That has only been over 10 years back so my memory doesn't go back before the day before yesterday.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Bill G

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 12:51:28 AM »

Hi Joe,

You are absolutely right. The 9KPro knew a software update. Since then Yamaha never released another 76 arranger keyboard.

In the period 2002 - 2010 Yamaha launched 4 Tyros models. Their so called High End arranger keyboards ( 61 keys only ).
We never saw one single software update but 4 upgrades : T1, T2, T3 and T4.
I did not add the PSR 3000, S900, S910 and S950 yet. 
Never saw a software update either.

At the end of this year we may expect a Tyros5, another upgrade.
I believe an S950 successor will follow soon since most users seem to be disappointed it is not a mini Tyros4.

It looks like Yamaha are very pleased and apparently successful with their policy.

Best regards, Jeff 

DonYoung
Don Young

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 04:36:56 AM »

Rumour has it that the Distributors are going to a Demo of the new falgship model in the middle of October.  Apparently they have been invited to Spain for the weekend.

Bill.

Bill if that's true, how soon would it be available to purchase?  Don
Bill Grosse

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 06:37:45 AM »

Don,

I suspect before Christmas - why miss that sales opportunity.  Wink

Bill G

DonYoung
Don Young

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »

The Korg PA900 will not be available until November - could be they wanted to get the jump on Yamaha.  Wink

Also, Korg is noted for jumping the price just before availability, so maybe it will be competitive with the S950 and maybe not.

At any rate history indicates the Tyros replacement will be priced at around $7,000.00  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Bill G

Bill, Kraft Music has the Korg PA-800 for $2899.99.  Does this mean the 900 is going to be a lot more do you think?
advid
Supporter

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »

....I've been thinking up 'upgrading' my old PSR 3000 for a newer model - the s950 was an obvious first choice but many owners on here were perhaps not exactly knocked out with it.... some even selling and reverting back to the previous PSR 910.
With this in mind i decided to take a big step and ordered a Korg PA900 ... specs looked great...

Got it today - and IT's GOING BACK TOMORROW..... the piano sound is all important to me as I use it for about 75% of my playing along with strings and solo instruments....
To Me (my opinion only) the piano(s) sounds on the Korg sound like a 50 quid Casio... not one of them was a patch on my PSR3000....

So - what do I do - order a s950 or keep my trusty old 3000 until another model from Yamaha comes out..?
Bill Grosse

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »

I suspect Yamaha may start putting out some teasers on the T4 replacement in October.

Why not wait and see what that may be - you already have one of the best arranger keyboards Yamaha has made.

Bill G

advid
Supporter

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »

For 75% (!) of your playing, I would ADD a dedicated digital piano to your PSR3000. For the price of a PA900 or S950, you will get a better piano sound than any of those would provide. Of course, that would add to the schlep factor.

ok..thanks for your suggestion..just noticed a few youtubes of the new YAMAHA  DGX 650 (full 88 weighted keys)...what about that..looks really good...?
Bill Grosse

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »

Advid,

No one has ever said that any arranger keyboard,  no matter who made it, ever had a good sounding piano - it is just not in any arranger.

So you will buy a lot of keyboards and you still will not get a good sounding piano.

I make this statement based on being on this forum and others now for twelve years and never a good word posted about pianos.

You have, (or had), an arranger that will allow you to import any piano sound you wish and there are plenty samples out there to be had.

I agree with LRM, you wold be far ahead to keep the 3000 and buy a dedicated piano keyboard.

Bill G

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »

One option I've never seen discussed before for piano players is getting a high end piano module.

An MU100 and a PLG150-AP will give as good or better piano than the Tyros for about $400.00 to $500.00 depending on current deals. these are legacy devices so you have to watch for them.

I have several of these plugin cards in my MU100R and MU128. I play them along with my styles every day.

The AP card is sampled from Yamaha's grand piano. multi-layered... up to 8 elements.  two different tunings and both mono and stereo samples. Supports half-damper sustain pedal for variable sustain.

Yamaha provides plugin data for the Motif and other performance keyboards, but for XG modules, you have to tweak the sounds and save them in Performance Mode.

The MU100 (1 expansion slot), Mu100R (rack version, 2 expansion slots) and MU128 , 3 expansion slots) each have 5 effects processors, channel/part EQ plus Master EQ

MU100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-MU100-Tone-Generator-Module-/141025908960?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item20d5cc98e0

The AP card has several Velocity curves to suit individual playing style. It can be assigned to any of the 16 MIDI channels.

AP Plugin card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-PLG150-AP-plg-150-AP-PIANO-RARE-Yamaha-motif-es-WORLD-SHIP-OK-/231026469149?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item35ca40291d#ht_2657wt_798

For solo piano playing, the XG and PSR pianos don't even come close.  The AP card sounds like the real thing once you tweak the pianos with eq and effects.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:59:56 PM by Joe H » Logged

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music. Download Registrations, Styles & Multi Pads:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »

LRM,

I guess if you are never going to take your instrument out of the livingroom, than maybe the Clavinova Piano (CVP) is the way to go. If you want portability, then a Tyros or PSR with a good piano module is the way to go.

When I first got my Acoustic Piano plugin card, I thought I wasn't impressed with it, but after playing it for awhile, then I played my PSR S910 Grand Piano solo, and was astounded by the poor quality of it.  The PSR pianos sound fine in a mix on a song file, but leave much to be desired as a solo instrument.

I would be surprised if I ever part with my PLG150-AP card, it's a bargain at $250.00.

Joe H

advid
Supporter

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 01:04:37 AM »

I have played the earlier model DGX-640 which I found to be similar to my ancient Clavinova. In the context of this discussion, they are all arranger engines that have been provided with 88-key piano actions.

For 75% piano, you need it the other way around, i.e. you need a digital piano with some backing track capabilities.

There are digital pianos with built-in drum machines, arpeggiators, etc and you may get lucky finding one that meet your needs.

Otherwise, focus on piano options: hardware pianos, software pianos, piano modules as per Joe H, etc., and your PSR-3000 will already have all the backing track capabilities you need, I think.

...if you look up the specs n the new DGX650 it seems to exactly what you suggest i may need.. a full 88 note weighted keyboard..WITH BACKING TRACKS.. do a  youtube... some good videos..looks quite imoressive..
advid
Supporter

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »

..i'm definitely going to try out DGX650....could be just the instrument i've been looking for.....

Will never sell the old PSR3000 tho'

..i do use the sliders on my 3000 to cut out the busy backing..just as you do on your clavi....
i've got eight registrations all just drum and bass and can switch between them in real time as i start playing and improvising and switch between them as the song progresses..(tempo freeze on of course)...often start with brushes and 2/4 bass line then 4/4 bass bring in sticks/rim shots ect and develop the song just as a 'real' trio would do....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:15:28 AM by advid » Logged
Jeff Hollande

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 07:22:10 AM »

Smart decision !
The 3000 is a great kb.

Best regards, Jeff
advid
Supporter

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 07:48:05 AM »

...i'm trying out the new Yamaha DGX650 for a few days...first impressions ..quite nice. Good 88 note weighted keys. Plays most of my PSR3000 styles although you can't  modify them on the keyboard as its not meant to be an arranger..
 Plays midis and you can modify \ silence busy backing partsnirnsolo voice. Overall sound seems a little but 'bassey' for my liking..not a bad piano sound but a bit overpowering on the bottom two octaves...
Other instrument sounds/voices ..not too bad..probaly from the same era as my 3000... Only two style variation tho'..one intro and ending...so a bit lacking...no midi either so can't link it to my 3000...
But overall..it's nice to play as a straight piano...7 out of 10...
Afton72
Supporter

Tallangatta, Australia.

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 11:37:10 PM »

WOWEE ,     how many folk can play like Tommy??Cool Cool,

Alan
Pages: 1 2 »  All Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Yamaha Keyboards  |  Yamaha Keyboards - General (Moderator: Bill Grosse)  |  Topic: NEWEST KORG PA-900 « previous next »
Jump to: