PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 10:22:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To see all categories, you must be logged in. Guests see only boards in two categories.
189,661 Posts in 25,029 Topics by 4,394 Members
Latest Member: 214fgwF937
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  PSR-Sxxx Keyboards  |  PSR-S910/S710  |  Topic: Help needed from knowledgeable Organ people please! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help needed from knowledgeable Organ people please!  (Read 910 times)
markchapman1976
Supporter

« on: October 16, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

Hi guys

I am just getting to grips with the Organ Flutes section now on my PSR S710. I have been researching Hammond Organs and have found that the Hammond has 236, 000 voice possibilities or sounds. Here are my questions please:

I see there are 10 presets jazz organ, blues organ etc. Do the virtual drawbars on the S710 represent the hammond itself?

When i search for drawbar settings on internet then replicate them using mine am i getting the same sound effects intended? How many different sounds can i create with organ flutes?

I dont have much knowledge of organ playing so any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Gloria
PSR Performer

Accordion, guitar,Baldwin organ, psr740,3K,S910

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:13:22 AM »

Hi Mark,
  I hope I can answer your ? to your satisfaction.  I played the Baldwin theater model for yrs. before switching to electronic keyboards.
The drawbars on the S710 do not represent the hammond. The drawbars are representing "stops" on pipe organs.  Each "stop" or drawbar number represents the length of pipe that air is being blown thru.  A 16' pipe indicates the deepest pitch & goes as high as 1&1/4'.  These have nothing to do with the special sound of the Hammond organs, Hammond only borrowed the footage idea from the original pipe organ.
  Every organ co. usually has it's own formula for creating sound.  To create the sound of a Hammond will take a lot of tweaking, plus experimenting with the rotary speakers (fast-slow), add reverb  & then try to achieve that special Leslie speaker sound.  I hope this has been some help; good luck with your research!   Smiley

"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page
markchapman1976
Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »

Dear Gloria

That is a great knowledgelable reply. Thankyou so much x
tyrosaurus

Tyros 4

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »

Hi Gloria,

Lucky you getting to play theatre organ.  Cool

However I thought that the 'stops' on a pipe organ were either fully on or off?  Whereas drawbars, even graphical representations of them, also allow the level of each footage to be controlled depending on how far they are 'drawn' out. This in theory gives a huge number of combinations of the eight drawbars.

Mark,

The basic sounds from each drawbar on a modern electronic keyboard attempt to emulate earlier electronic instruments, and there are no prizes for guessing which manufacturer's sounds they try to match. So the drawbars can be set up in exactly the same way as they were on classic recordings, if you know the settings. There are plenty of settings available on the internet.

However, as Gloria pointed out, there is a lot more to recreating the 'Hammond sound' than simply copying the drawbar settings. I suspect that most people have heard Hammond and other makes, through a Leslie cabinet of one kind or another, and this is probably a significant, if not the most significant part of the 'Hammond sound'.   I am not a 'purist' but to my ears, most of the attempts to emulate the complex sound of a 'miked' Leslie electronically are not very convincing.   There is an external processor called a Ventilator which would satisfy me, but I'm sure that 'purists' would mock it.

So whilst the 710 and other keyboards allow you to set the drawbars to the same combinations as a Hammond, does it sound like a Hammond? Many people would say not, although that doesn't mean that the sound is unpleasant or unusable. People sometimes seem overly intent on trying to emulate the original as closely as possible. For some, nothing will ever equal the original.

In that sense it is exactly the same with Gloria's Baldwin.

Regards

Ian

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  PSR-Sxxx Keyboards  |  PSR-S910/S710  |  Topic: Help needed from knowledgeable Organ people please! « previous next »
Jump to: