PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:35:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
175,698 Posts in 23,414 Topics by 4,305 Members
Latest Member: tonsch
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Yamaha Keyboards  |  Yamaha Keyboards - General (Moderator: Bill Grosse)  |  Topic: 950 vs Tyros 4 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: « 1 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 950 vs Tyros 4  (Read 13997 times)
RVoz
Asst. Member

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »

I think comparing PSR and Tyros side by side is the idea that usually cost you many thousand bucks. Sound memory is very relative. Direct a/b on good speakers is the wake up call.

Yeas, I have the KRKs and the PSR910 sounded great without hearing Tyros. But once I put Tyros side by side and a/b then 3 x yes, the tyros gives you fully mastered sound and the PSR suddenly sounds like the home keyboard it is.
But that is with everything! For example the piano on Tyros is great, right?, but I plugged the Oasys on the same mix and KRKs, loaded the Exs2 and auch, auch auch yamaha piano....suddenly the Tyros piano sounded like PSR....not to mention all the synth sound and sweeps, that may sound fine on Tyros alone, unless you A/B them with a real osc modelling keyboard like the Oasys or Kronos and bang! suddenly tyros synth sounds lifeless... all synth sounds, every single one and even most of orchestral sounds and strings leave the tyros crying sonically by the ugly Oasys (which I am selling because I can't stand Korg). Not even mentioning Karo. That is a category by itself for orchestrals and you can't get that for yamaha no matter what. And then drum sounds...oh boy, it is difference when you a/b excellent drums with a good drums.

Oh, It is better not to A/B because that never stops... take Motif XF or Audya 5 into mix and your head will be all messed up.

There is no best keyboard, it is only what you like most (I personally from all my kbds like Tyros most)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:21:42 PM by RVoz » Logged
Petro2

Roland RD-100>KORG pa500>Motif XS Rack>Slate PC

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 04:41:54 AM »

RVoz
Thank you for that honest opinion, ther're not many like that can be found, especially from those who own several KBs at the same time.
Found some contradiction between the bottom line "I personally from all my kbds like Tyros most" and some expressions in the middle like "suddenly the Tyros piano sounded like PSR.... tyros synth sounds lifeless... " though.
I consider this like a hint for us, who don't own T4 yet, - not to concentrate our attention on the most expensive Tyros only, but to try some other KBs again and again.  Thank you for that!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:56:38 PM by Petro2 » Logged
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

I feel more like I do now then when I first got it

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »

Yes everyone....  been there ,done that ,I have tried them all Kurzwiei,2500x , PC3K ,Korgs,Triton, Pax 3 , Roland ,Tyros 3........ .TYROS 4 RULES !!!!! Yehawww again
Gary

Tyros 4(finally) Korg M3 88  Kurzweil 2600x Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
 2 Crate stereo KBX 100
RVoz
Asst. Member

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2012, 05:48:04 PM »

Petro2, yes I put there the contradiction on purpose, because while I am keeping the Tyros (finally sold OASYS) judging on the sound alone Tyros is far from best sounding. (Yamahas own Motif beats it and it is half the price)
But it is probably the most evenly distributed straight sound around without need to touch anything. All sounds usable straight away and they mix good right out of the box. So it is like plug and play in literal sense. Switch it on and play song. It was the intended purpose.

Also they by design stayed away from all the hard to described sounds of say Motif or Kronos. You can easily judge the sound of T4 by looking at its name, it is a complete straight deal. You know this piano, that sax, those strings - everything explains the sound. Not some "Mr. Zouzou in the Morning" type of voice names. Ooh choir is Ooh choir, Ahh is Ahh, done deal.

But if you want to do some production - then you may quickly run into T4 self contained one man band "schlager" wall.

So you have to be careful with the choice. It depends on the need and type of music. For example for recording and production you would go extra hunded miles with something like Kronos or Motif.
Petro2

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 02:36:04 AM »

Well, thanks again, I see what you mean, but I'm still messed up. The story went as follows:

I'd been playing TradiJazz for 8 years (with some funk elements if too excited ;-) on my Roland E-piano, using my PSR-740 for Bass&Drums only and I been quite happy. Nothing like recordings and productions. Just home & gigs.

Then all of a sudden I got to know that piano samples in both my KBs are old but not good anymore, so I bought KORG pa500 (judging mostly on price against of Yamaha's) and I'd been happy for another year or so.

Then, after a minute of audition of the Motif piano sound, I felt foolish and deluded and got the XS RACK,.. Another year of paradise. I even started to record with Cubase and I liked it.

Then I  suddenly realized that I'd tried to use KORG less and less (apart from the "Nylon" Guitar, it's not bad at all!). Motif B&D have beaten the Korg out step by step. But anyway, I still needed styles to play live!

Then I bought S950, then while waiting for the shipping I heard comparison of the Tyros4 sounds and styles with the S950's and decided to sell just everything to buy the Tyros4.

Then I felt that I would be missing Roland's 88 hammers and Motif SX Arps and maybe Motif piano sound, then I read this thread, then I lost my mood and temper, then what?... "Oh, who you are? Don't pin my arms, please, no straight jacket, I am just a poor musician choosing KB, no..., Medical siren is fading away...)

Sorry for maybe too long history, but I hope that someone  here (like a musical doctor.., but a physician, not a psychiatrist yet) will  help me to understand what I need really.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:58:06 AM by Petro2 » Logged
Bill Grosse

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »

Petro2,

Welcome to keyboard comparison HELL!!  Shocked Roll Eyes Huh Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Now comes also the styles collection problem.  Tongue

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

Leave it up to Bill for clearing it ALL up LOL! I'm no longer confused
Gary

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
RVoz
Asst. Member

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »

Haha, guitar players have GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) so I guess this would be KAS ?

I don't know what kind of gigs you do, but PSR and Tyros are build for the one man band type of entertainer.
So if you need to play with styles then the PSR or Tyros is the right choice for money. Korg arrangers while usually having more features like the newish PA3X are not as smooth, simple and plug-and-play as Yamahas. But PA3X is good and you may prefer it over Tyros. It has great keybed, very good sounds and it is cheaper. Not as produced sound as tyros which may be both good or bad. The PSR is in different (lower) category.
Roland seems purposely gave away the game. The BK5 is on the borderline of being a toy. As for the original PSR or TYROS, go with the budget. For one man band music the audience doesn't care at all nor can tell difference. You can make PSR sound like Tyros on PA with a bit of EQ and compression.

If you don't need the styles, then PSR and Tyros are the wrong keys. For a keyboard player both Motif XF and Kronos give far more for bang your buck. The Kronos is more expandable, if you find one that doesn't have bad keybed -  a plague of officially 1% of Kronos, except if you ask nearly everybody had or know someone with broken one.
And I was heavy Korg user and it is true - the things inside are fantastic and usually generation in advance from everybody else including Yamaha (The Kronos is the most amazing keyboard technically and sonically) but the things outside breaks like cheap wal-mart toy. Buttons stop working, keybed breaks, pitch bend sticks got jammed or breaks from sockets... Korg should be sold in kits with solder gun. That's why I am always inclined forward yamahas, because so far they had been workhorses and none of my yamahas ever break, yet all of my korgs had mechanical issues, even right out of the box.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:12:46 AM by RVoz » Logged
DonM
Charter Member

Benton, LA, USA

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »

I've been waiting nearly 3 months for Korg to ship a joystick assembly for my PA3X, UNDER WARRANTY.  I bought an S950 to use while I'm waiting.  The Korg seems to be very well built, but the joystick broke after six months.
DonM
RVoz
Asst. Member

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »

I wanted to get oasys reinstall CDs from korg as they don't post it on the web site. Ha, I don't have the oasys anymore and the CDs still didn't arrive. Maybe in next 10 years?
It is funny how Korg got totally out of touch. On Oasys they used such cheap butons that they broke on many after like 100 presses. It is almost impossible to get such low quality buttons, yet they managed to find supplier.
Petro2

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 11:22:43 PM »

I've just realized what's wrong with me.

I used to be happy untill the internet came in with such devils as uncounted competent reviews,forums,opinions,utube auditions...

So, to get out of that Comparison&Hesitating Hell we must just turn off the computer and start to play music instead, that's all.

So I will leave the KB stuff I've managed to collect so far; both pa500 and S950 and Motif Rack and Roland RD-100, they're all good, don't tell me off anymore. )))

BTW, I had to fix the joystick on my KORG pa500 once as well, although had used it very little...so it is the first candidate for soon retiring indeed ;-)

Thanks to all and be happy...., may be the same way like me, see above )))
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 11:33:31 PM »

Yep...can't get any better than the TYROS 4
Yaber Dabber Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
Flip
Marine
PSR Performer

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 03:43:58 AM »

Bottom line:  All the PSR's...including the 950 are not in the same league as the T4 or the Korg PA series.  All of the comparisons are nice to read but don't change the facts.  I wanted to use my 900 for outside the home GIGs but after playing the T4 for several month I changed my mind it just does not sound remotely like the T4.  So I decided to let the whole 900 package go.  Just my opinion for whats its worth.  PS its early in the AM.....having my coffee and listening to my new T4 Christmas CD....also the 2011 Christmas CD.....no comparison!

Flip

RF

Keyboards: Tyros 2 and soon? PA 500 Musikant

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »

In a book someone said, when keyboard players always crave after the latest technology, they may come one day to the poorhouse or nuthouse.

Kind regards
Ronny F
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »

It's all about the MUSIC... not which keyboard you are playing!

A Mersedes will give you a very nice ride, but a VW will get you to your destination just the same.

Smiley

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:57:52 AM by Joe H » Logged

Music is the Universal Language!

See my Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music & download my Dance Styles and Multi Pads:   http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

It's all about the MUSIC... not which keyboard you are playing!

A Mersedes will give you a very nice ride, but a VW will get you to your destination just the same.

Yes...But it will be very bumpy indeed. I dont like dem der bumps .
It's all about the MUSIC !!!

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »

Hey GaryTyros 4 (finally),

If I had the dough... I'd go for the Mersedes too!

I wouldn't mind riding in comfort.

Smiley    Wink

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:03:51 PM by Joe H » Logged

See my Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music & download my Dance Styles and Multi Pads:   http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

U can do it
Joe ! U got to believe !!

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 02:41:34 PM »

Gary,

In my 65 years on this planet I've observed that the Universe gives me what I NEED... but not necessarily what I WANT.  (but then again, sometimes surprises me when I'm good)

Wink

Cheers,
Joe H

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:57:09 PM by Joe H » Logged

Pages: « 1 2 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Yamaha Keyboards  |  Yamaha Keyboards - General (Moderator: Bill Grosse)  |  Topic: 950 vs Tyros 4 « previous next »
Jump to: