PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 02:47:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To see all categories, you must be logged in. Guests see only boards in two categories.
186,371 Posts in 24,676 Topics by 4,350 Members
Latest Member: prabdevgun
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  PSR-Sxxx Keyboards  |  PSR-S950/S750 (Moderator: Bill Grosse)  |  Topic: PSR S-950 is here! :) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PSR S-950 is here! :)  (Read 7908 times)
Judson Tyros
Korg is the King but YAMAHA is the Emperor!!
Asst. Member

Judson Christudas

« on: September 02, 2012, 03:15:11 AM »

Yamaha PSR-S950
 Arranger Workstation features Audio Style technology which brings the realism, nuance and character of live drums and percussion to Styles. Vocal Harmony 2 augments your singing with 3-part harmonies and effects. New "Real Distortion" DSP adds high-quality distortion and overdrive effects to Voices like guitar and electric piano. Add even more Voices and Styles by loading Yamaha's ever-growing library of Voice and Style Expansions into the 64MB FlashROM. Assign and trigger WAV audio with Yamaha's new Audio Link Multi-Pads. A re-designed speaker box has extended lows along with a highly-efficient digital amplifier and digital EQ to perfectly tailor the overall sound.

Features

NEW! Audio Styles
Audio Styles add recordings of professional drummers and percussionists from around the world. Yamaha's real-time, time stretch technology allows a wide range of tempo change without noticeable audio artifacts.

NEW! Vocal Harmony 2
Instantly add three background singers with improved tracking, stability and realism.

NEW! Powerful audio features
Use powerful audio features to cancel the center channel for quick and easy karaoke tracks. Setup repeat points within an audio file to let it loop, or change the tempo or pitch independently.

NEW! Audio Link Multi-Pad
Trigger WAV files on USB flash drives from the Multi-Pads.

NEW! Real Distortion effect
All-new guitar amplifier processing with effects.

NEW! FlashROM Expansion
A 64MB FlashROM lets you install all new Voice and Style content. PSR-S950 even allows new Audio Styles to be installed.

NEW! Improved sound system
Powerful and hi-fidelity sound with increased speaker box size for full-sounding low end, Digital Amplifiers for great power efficiency and Digital EQ for precise tonal adjustment.

XG/GS/GM 2 compatibility
Play back tens of thousands of commercially available MIDIfiles.

USB Connectivity
Connect to a computer via USB TO HOST or use the USB TO DEVICE port to store and recall settings, content and audio.

Audio AUX IN/OUT
Use the AUX OUTPUT to connect to a computer audio interface or sound system. AUX IN lets you
Specification

Weight: 25.375 lbs

Dimensions (WxDxH): 39.4375 x 17.1875 x 5.8125

For more info: www.facebook.com/judsonlespaul

www.facebook.com/judsonlespaul
Judson Tyros
Asst. Member

Judson Christudas

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:39:32 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yamaha-Psr-S950/407288802669126

Shadow

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 03:39:53 PM »

Any thing on U tue yet?
       Shadow
DrakeM

PSR-S950

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »

Well, now I have another project to get started on. The S-950 only comes with 408 styles, so it's missing about 100 or so.

I've got to find and start collecting the SFF2 styles from the older keyboards to use in this new one Grin

Marcus

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 07:52:34 AM »

Interesting info Judson

I am more interested in the Tyros 4 successor when it comes out, but new features and technology in the S-950 can give us clues to the newest technology ultimately making its way.

The PSR-s950 is a nice option for a keyboard between the present PSR-s910 and the Tyros 4. Pretty much a scaled back Tyros 4.

The new audio styles sound interesting, however most of the styles are similar to the Tyros 4, at least name-wise. Looks like the SA2 voices from the Tyros4 are missing as well as the Art 1 and Art 2 buttons. I think most of the new choir and vocal voices are missing as well and therefore probably absent from the styles as well.

The display is still too small, VH2 technology looks to be the same as the Tyros 4, not enough flash memory, and probably too expensive to justify trading up from the S-910.

Again, love to hear the new audio styles and technology. Apparently, the audio parts from the new audio styles cannot be recorded to the hard disk recorder, plus the styles only work within a certain tempo range. At least now the stereo AUX IN can be recorded to the hard disk recorder. Only LINES IN or mic input could be recorded from the Tyros 3 and Tyros 4. The s950 now added a mic/line switch and trim knob to the mic input. Mono now doesn't matter because stereo AUX IN can be recorded.

Would definitely try one out at the music store, but still waiting for the newest Tyros successor.

Regards Marcus
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:58:58 AM by Marcus » Logged
Wally Z
PSR Performer
Supporter

PSR-S910 Yamaha HS80M

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »

Just for your information the PSR S910 Mic/Line input does have a switch and trim knob.  So that is not a change on the 950.

Marcus

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »

Just for your information the PSR S910 Mic/Line input does have a switch and trim knob.  So that is not a change on the 950.

Thanks for the correction.

I can only speak for the Tyros 3 and Tyros 4. The Tyros 3 had a Lines-In trim knob plus it was stereo and a stereo audio input could be recorded to the Tyros 3 hard disk recorder. Yamaha went backwards with the Tyros 4 and gave us only a mono mic input with no trim knob and only a mono external audio input could be recorded to its hard disk recorder.

It's good to hear that both the s910 and the newest s950 gives us a mic/line switch and trim knob, but why not make it with both right and left channels for more versatility?

The Tyros 4 successor would benefit with a lines-in switch, trim knobs, and both left and right channel inputs. AUX-IN being able to record to the hard disk recorder would be nice as well, just like the s950.

Regards, Marcus
karmacomposer

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

Will any companies being having a buy back program for the S950?  I remember when the Tyros 4 came out you could trade in your Tyros 3 and pay the difference.

Is anyone doing that with a S910 to a S950?

Mike

Yamaha PSR s910, Korg Karma, CME UF8, Axiom 61, Presonus Studio Pro, Samplitude 10 Pro, many vsti, EWQLSO, EWQLSC and KHSO Diamond. 8 networked dual/quad/octo core PCs & 1 Mac Mini. Eigenharp Pico.  www.hardcoreharmonics.com - www.supersynths.com
Judson Tyros
Asst. Member

Judson Christudas

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »

but, s950 still does'nt have a harddisk option till now. only 6 64mb options are only available with the psr-s950.
buying a memory is very cheap nowadays. yamaha is still not getting the customer's needs.

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »

Judson,

For $21.25 you can buy a 32GB thumb drive that only sticks out less than 1/2", and will work very fast on an S950 with USB 2.0.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SanDisk-32GB-Cruzer-FIT-USB-2-0-Flash-Mini-Pen-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-RETAIL-PK-/251053896296?pt=US_USB_Flash_Drives&hash=item3a73fa7268

In some ways this better than a hard drive, since you can easily remove it and plug it into a PC or Mac to back it up or edit files easier than you could on an internal hard drive.

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:50:34 AM by Joe H » Logged

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music. Download Registrations, Styles & Multi Pads:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Judson Tyros
Asst. Member

Judson Christudas

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:56:32 AM »

thanx Joe for the info. i have lots of styles and voices in my pc which takes so long to load all the sounds and styles if we gigging. storing permenantly in keyboard is a good idea to avoid that problem. as u said, carrying a good 32gb thumb is good. But incase of myself (more musicians like this option too) prefer more internal memory. Maybe yamaha will think about this seriously in their Serious update which is going to be released in 2013.
hoping for the best Smiley

Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 09:34:34 AM »

Is there a demo up on the net anywhere for the S950 yet ? I didn't see one or in this cause hear one.

Craig

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
Bill Grosse

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »

Well after all the talk and much investigation of manuals and listening to sounds and
comparing Audya and Yamaha arrangers, I have pre-ordered the S950.

I liked all the things the Audya can do, but it just doesn't sound as good to me as the Yamaha boards.
Keep in mind I am hearing "repaired".  Wink
I hope I don't regret my descision.

BTW - Audioworks is giving very good prices as usual.  Cool
Thanks you Frank.  Cheesy

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »

Hey Bill,

With all your experience with other Yamaha boards, we can expect a very good assessment on the S950 from you I sure.

I like the idea of triggering audio clips from the USB audio player using the MultiPad buttons.  And it's good to see Yamaha included stereo Aux line inputs that can be recorded to the USB audio recorder along with the keyboard sounds.

I think lots of folks are waiting to hear the first reviews!

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:21:38 PM by Joe H » Logged

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music. Download Registrations, Styles & Multi Pads:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Bill Grosse

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »

Joe H,

Yes in deed - it was the triggering of audio clips that sold me on the 950.
Also, I especially like being able to record Aux Line input as i will be able to add my live guitar to the styles playing.

I will give it a good work out and report for sure.

Bill G

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »

Bill,

I'm guessing that with an S950 I could plug my vintage 1964 Fender Jazz Master into one of the A/D inputs of my MU100R or MU128, add some effects to the guitar, route the sound module to the AUX LINE IN and record some riffs and chords using the USB Audio Recorder... save as a WAV file, then play them back as a Multi Audio Pad.

So using the Pad buttons... we could add Audio Guitar, Audio Vocals, and Audio sound effects to a style along with the Audio Drums or even with the regular styles.

That's sounds very...   Cool

Now I'm thinking about an S910 to S950 upgrade myself   Grin

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:40:14 PM by Joe H » Logged

mikf
Global Moderator

PSR 3000 : Yamaha CP33 : Shigeru Grand

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »

Bill - so you just couldnt bring yourself to turn your back on Yamaha!! Grin
I got a chance to compare the sounds of several arrangers including the Tyros and Audya at one of Don Mason's jams a few years back. I didnt get to spend as miusch time there as I hoped, so I never got to make a definitive comparison. But on playabilty  - which is a vetry different thing to sound quality - I thought the Audya better hands down than any Yamaha. But on pure sound quality, I ended up thinking that all the major arrangers since the psr3k sound very good and differences in sound quality were small and personal taste. I gave the Audya the edge over the Tyros in quality of sound, but I could see why someone could just as easily go the other way. The thing is that none of these keyboards play themselves, and differences between keyboards are all vastly less than differences between keyboard players. A mediocre player on a great board is stlill a mediocre player, and a great player sounds like a great player on every keyboard. Just my twopeny worth.
 I hope you really enjoy the 950. I am still considering the Audya. My indecision on whether to buy and Audya or a 950 or even a Tyros, is less based on cost or what I think is best, than whether I can bothered buying anything new at this time with all the hassle that entails. Its like changing your computer, its not just a purchase - its a project. I am building a new house at the moment and its 5000 miles away from where I live, so maybe I have enough on my plate without another project.
Mike

Bill Grosse

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »

Mike,

The cost was not a factor in my decision either.

I am anticipating the replacement for the T4 will be something special this time and
I new once I stepped away from the Yammies, I would not likely return.

I understand the Yamaha architecture of the arrangers and just don't want to have to relearn everything.  Shocked
Also this - no matter how much we complain about the Yamaha manuals, they are heads and shoulders above the Audya.

Bill G

DonM
Charter Member

Benton, LA, USA

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »

I totally agree.  All the fairly current arrangers can sound great.  I have found the Korg PA3X to be extremely easy to use.
It has all the controls you would ever want, is light in weight, has excellent vocal processing and harmony, etc.
I have a 5-switch foot pedal that is very light in weight, plus a dedicated Hold pedal, dedicated Volume pedal and an extra assignable pedal.  The three buttons that are preset for sound modification (like the SA buttons on Yamaha) are completely assignable, and there are two rows of 16 assignable sliders (they double as independent volume controls for style parts or realtime parts, OR organ sliders).
Main drawback to the Korg is in auditioning styles.  You have to load them into user slots, rather than try them from USB stick.  It's a matter of a few seconds though.  A great feature is that you can replace any or all the factory styles with stuff you can actually USE, if you wish, or simply add new styles to the factory style banks.
The Korg has a real-time chord sequencer and two sequence players.  For those into midi files, you can have both sequencers loaded and fade them in and out.
I do miss some of the fantastic Audya audio guitar and drum styles, but the difference in weight is worth it to me.  Plus Korg has a better service organization than Ketron (who has none).
Having said all this, when the PSRS950 becomes available, it could well be the best value for the money ever offered in and arranger!  
However, as much fun as it is to speculate, we won't know until we have one in our hands, and, knowing Yamaha's history, that could be months from now.
My tentative plan is, when the 950 arrives, and if it is as good as we think, I will sell my backup keyboard, a Roland E50, and add the 950 as my second keyboard.  I always have at least two, because sometimes I have two jobs set up with not enough time to transfer equipment between.  Plus you GOTTA have a backup for everything--keyboard, PA, stands mics--EVERYTHING.
DonM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:09:59 PM by DonM » Logged
DonM
Charter Member

Benton, LA, USA

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »

I may be wrong about the timing.  George Kaye has received two S750s already!  950 can't be far behind.
DonM
mikf
Global Moderator

PSR 3000 : Yamaha CP33 : Shigeru Grand

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »

Don
It would be really interesting to find out how many of the top end arrangers were in use by gigging musicians  ie Tyros vs Korg Pa3X. I think that Yamaha would easily dominate overall sales, because the Tyros is so dominant in the hobby musician market whereas the Korg seems to be used mostly by gigging musicians, so maybe a more equal split - or maybe even more Korgs.
Mike   
DonM
Charter Member

Benton, LA, USA

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »

I'm afraid that the U.S. isn't a good testing ground for pros using arrangers.  There aren't more than a relative handful doing it anywhere close to full time.
In Europe there are lots of folks doing it.
Yamaha, at least in U.S., knows their market and it AIN'T pros.  Still doesn't mean we can't use 'em that way though. 
DonM
DrakeM

PSR-S950

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »

Wow ... are we going to be able to record guitar licks into part of the actual STYLE and save it with the style? or just record it as a MultiPad? This would make styles really easy to create for each tune.

How much HD space is going to be available use in this manner? Is it going to be limited?

Judson Tyros
Asst. Member

Judson Christudas

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 11:02:43 PM »

@MIKF
I really agree with you. The AUDYA Sounds (Its 450MB Grand Piano sound and other sounds) will beat any Tyros sounds(except for SA2 Irish Pipe & Irish Pipe Dance). The Guitars and Harmonica sounds really real than any Yamaha. The only problem with KETRON is just the service which is a major factor.
@All....
Roland New JUNO Gi features a COSM Amp Processor for Guitar connectivity i have heard the sounds in real. Its just sounds like BOSS-ME25 Processor. Yamaha says that PSR-S950 uses amp sounds from 60's  and 70's. They are still in the last century!!!
There are no modern styles in Yamaha keyboards like Progressive, Post Grunge, Nu Metal, Heavy Metal, Smooth Jazz, Modern Funky, New Electronica, Celtic Styles, Indian styles with Tabla scale change, New Dance styles like it.. Every keyboard must have atleast 2 of this kind factory styles in it...
YAMAHA should reborn again and change their strategy!!

Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 04:21:53 AM »

Agree Yamaha should include the modern stuff for younger players of today to enjoy with the newer boards but they have always been a little back dated but the majority doesn't seem to mind all that much though
Your a person of your times and sounds from the 40-50's -60-70-80's-90's for the people who grew around that era seem adequate and the amps from the 60's 70's have a unique property to them
You can always get more moden styles for your board regardless and use the usb so its not that big a deal
I'm looking forward to the S950 and see what it has and sounds like and seems a good compromise when Tyros isn't in the picture yet.

Craig "Keyboardist"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:24:07 AM by Keyboardist » Logged

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
comasus
Asst. Member

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 07:45:51 AM »

Will this model will be available in India? or its local model?
lion

I dont play very well, but very loud ! on my T4 B

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 07:55:13 AM »

I don't know it, but in India you can buy psr 650 - 710 and psr 910,
so i am sure that the new 750 and 950 will come to India too.
Leo
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 08:08:22 AM »

Judson,

Hopefully Yamaha will develop VSE packages that WILL contain contemporary voices and styles. They have done this for ethnic world regional music, so why not for 2012 pop and dance music.

It's a shame they only included 6.7MB internal user memory and 64MB for expansion. Should have been 64MB user memory and an expansion slot for up to a 1GB for VSE.

So maybe the next board will have that an a live programmable arpeggiator too.

Joe H

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  PSR-Sxxx Keyboards  |  PSR-S950/S750 (Moderator: Bill Grosse)  |  Topic: PSR S-950 is here! :) « previous next »
Jump to: