PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 03:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
PSR Tutorial "Home" Page
185,519 Posts in 24,589 Topics by 4,345 Members
Latest Member: evans3588
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 4  |  Topic: PSR-S650 YEP file not compatible with T4 - help 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PSR-S650 YEP file not compatible with T4 - help  (Read 5621 times)
business_usa_mex - Al Ram
Supporter

« on: June 04, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »

PSR Forum Friends,
You probably will be able to provide me with a recommendation.

I recently upgraded a PSR-S650 to a T4 and returned the S650 to the dealer. I now had the T4 for just a couple of days and learning.

Before the upgrade, I downloaded from the Yamaha site a free file with some mexican Pro styles for the S650 which executed successfully into the S650.  These were very good styles that I liked very much.

The name of this file is 'PSR-S650MexicanPack1.YEP' and can be downloaded for free from Yamaha site at services.music.yamaha.com/vse it is the "Voice & Style expansion pack - Mexican" download for the PSR-S650

My problem is that when I try to load this YEP file and the styles into the T4, the T4 does not even see the YEP file.

Is there any way to execute/load this YEP file into the T4 to load those styles ?

I realize now that I should have saved those styles before returning the S650 but I did not know enough at the time.  I wrongly assumed that if the YEP file with those styles loaded to the S650 they would load to the T4.  My mistake.  Also, i have tried to locate a store here in SD that has the S650 so i could go there and load/copy the styles to USB but cannot find any with that particular keyboard model around here.

I been searching all over the place and cannot find those styles anywhere else.  I realize there are probably many styles that could be similar but those are really very good  for my purposes.

I appreciate all your help, If you have any suggestions, thanks in advance.

AL
MBedesem
PSR Professor

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:39:52 AM »

The styles are imbedded in the file. I looked in a hex editor. Search for ".sty" to see the beginning one one of them.

It is painful to get them out (copy the style data and paste it to a new file, adjust file sizes, etc) but it could be done.

It would be much easier to see if you could locate a 650 user that would send you the styles. Or check with Yamaha to see if they are available otherwise.

Regards,

Michael
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:35:50 AM by MBedesem » Logged

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@sover.net
Tyros 5
tnicoson
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:55:43 AM »

Since these files were originally for the S650, if you do what Michael suggests, you may have to tweak the voice selections a bit if they use voices that were on the S650, but are not on the T4.  From what you describe, it sounds like it would be well worth the effort.

Congrats on getting the T4.  I am sure you will enjoy it.  Best of luck with it.  Don't forget to grab a nap and a sandwich now and then.

Regards,

Ted

Jørgen

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:50 AM »

Hi

Quick and dirty programming.  Cheesy

Extract style files from yep files...

www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/yep/styleinyepsetup.exe

The program is beta; and I have not had many hours for testing.
No home page and documentation yet... and no guarantee...

Extracted styles will be saved in the same folder as the yep file.
Extracted styles are named "yep file name"_number.

Enjoy
Jørgen

PS
The process is somewhat slow...
It took close to 1 minute at one of my computers to extract the styles from "A20005-Best-Of-Europe V3.yep" (56 MB file size)
Therfore be patient. You only have to do this once...  Wink
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:18:41 PM by Jørgen » Logged

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999
business_usa_mex - Al Ram
Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »

Thanks to all for your advise.   This forum is truly something else. Ted and Michael thanks a lot for your quick response.

Jørgen you are truly a genius.  I used your program and it extracted the styles.   I can hardly believe it !!!!   You have to tell me how you did it !!! (just kidding)

I will play with the extracted styles tonight and report tomorrow or in the next couple of days.  I anticipate that some voices will have to be tweaked on the T4 because those styles in the YEP file also had some additional 'mexican' voices that came with the YEP pack and installed on the S-650 automatically. (Ted mentioned this already).

Your program installed all right and created the "Style in YEP files" icon.  It did not execute at first when double clicking on the icon.   I tired several times but it did not execute.  I then noticed that it requires Java.  Either the version of Java on my computer was not up to date or something, however, I downloaded the latest version of Java and voila, the program executed marvelously.    Your program does not require a lot documentation or explanation it is truly simple, even I can do it !!!

I am not at home right now but will copy the extracted styles to a USB and play with them tonight and see how the T4 likes them.

I had already located a store that has a S650 in display and was planning on making the 40 mile trip to go there.  This should save me some gas, time and effort !!!!

Great Job !!!!  and my admiration to all of you. 

AL
tomtomsf
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »

Oh, wow, Jorgen! You certainly love a challenge!
It's awesome of you to create this program.
Now we can extract those .yep styles to try on other models.
Smiley
Tom G.

Tyros 4
Jørgen

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

After more than 10 years of style programming - and even more years of reading hex code - it was not that difficult.  Wink

And yes, Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.6 or higher is required...

I will later today modify the program to write "proper" file names; create home page; and write some documentation.

Regards
Jørgen

PS:
Tom, there are 8 free yep files.
I don't know the number of styles in all of these; but there are 12 in Mexican and 80 in Europe

Sorry: 40 in Europe
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:16:28 AM by Jørgen » Logged

- since 1999
Jørgen

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:08:33 AM »

Hi

The "Style in YEP Files" software program for extracting styles from Yamaha Expansion Packs (YEP) has got its home page at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/yep/index.htm

The program now saves the extracted style files with the right names in a sub folder to the YEP file folder.

Enjoy!

Jørgen

- since 1999
sunny

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »

Hi Jorgen,
      There is one free Indian voice pack available for PSR-650 keyboard which is in .yep format.
            http://services.music.yamaha.com/vse

Is it possible to extract voices and play  on Tyros4 ?Please help.

Thanks,
sunny
Jørgen

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »

Hi Sunny

I know too little about sound voice formats to give an excact answer.

But my investigations so far are not positive...  Angry

Jørgen

- since 1999
Jørgen

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 05:23:16 AM »

Hi

"Style in YEP Files" software program updated.
Some YEP files were not read correct...  Angry

FIXED

Regards
Jørgen

- since 1999
Constrictor
PSR Performer
Asst. Member

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 07:11:20 AM »

Hello Jorgen,

StyleInYepSetup.exe the program works perfectly if you want to extract styles from files .yep PSR-S650 or PSR-S750 Yamaha
Very thanks.
Best regards
Constrictor

Jørgen

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »

Hi

You're welcome  Wink

Jørgen

- since 1999
madhoo.j
Novice Poster

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member here and also a the new owner to a PSR S650. I am having trouble with loading new styles on to the s650. I have some style in the .sty format that i would like to use but the 650 does not recognize them at all. Is there any way i can load these files or sue them through the USB.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Please please help

tyrosaurus

Tyros 4

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »

I am having trouble with loading new styles on to the s650. I have some style in the .sty format that i would like to use but the 650 does not recognize them at all. Is there any way i can load these files or sue them through the USB.

Hi Madhoo.J,

The manual makes several references to loading external files from the folder 'USER FILE' on a USB device.

Try using your PC to create a folder called 'USER FILE' off the first (root) level of your USB stick, and copy your styles to this folder.
Now follow the instructions on page 59 of the 650 Owner's Manual to load the style.

You should also be able to load styles from your computer using the Musicsoft Downloader software as described on page 51 of the Reference Manual.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:11:08 PM by tyrosaurus » Logged
Quasim

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 04:57:43 PM »

Just make sure you are not inserting a yep file in zip form because it will not be visible if its in zip form, you have to extract the stuff from zip then it will show up all files in tyros
it happened with me. Hope that could be the reason. Dr Qasim
Dick Rector
Supporter

Bali Indonesia

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 12:05:06 AM »

I'm not sure what you are trying to do.
YEP Packs for the PSR S650 are NOT compatible with the PSR S950 and I'm not sure they will work on a T4. It seems a different system by the lack of memory in the 650..
Only packs for the PSR A2000 Will work without a problem.

If you still want these styles you have to extract them with Jorgen's program but will miss some special voices.
I have done that some time ago (All the free Yep Packs) and posted them on the forum.
If you can't find them send me a PM and I will mail them to you.

Dick

PSR-2000 and PSR-S950
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:23 AM »

All of the S650 and A2000 YEP styles have bee extracted and are available for download here:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=17713.msg118801#msg118801

They have not been revoiced so you will have to use the Mixing Console to revoice some style parts to suit your personal tastes.

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:02:50 AM by Joe H » Logged

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music and download my Dance Styles & Multi Pads:   http://psrtutorial
Jørgen

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »

Hi

And if more styles need to be extracted my "Style in YEP Files" software is available at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/yep/index.htm  Wink

Regards
Jørgen

- since 1999
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »

Jorgen,

Just to let you know how well you Style in YEP program works... I purchased the Euro Dance Expansion Pack and extracted the styles. I have a PSR S910 so I have a lot of work to do to revoice (some) normal parts and remap the drum notes for the rhythm parts of the styles. The Euro Dance Pack includes 5 new drum kits and a new SFX kit. Fortunately, 33 of the styles use the same custom drum kit so once I figure out the remapping of the drum sounds I can get most styles playing pretty well. The styles also make heavy use of the S910 internal drum kits as well... which helps things a bit.

Why am I putting myself through so much trouble you ask?  Well I wanted some new styles to work with. These are definitely different. The YEP also includes 12 MultiPad Banks, which is 48 individual pads. (which also had to be revoiced) These are also very different from all previous internal pads produced by Yamaha.

One thing I will say about these styles is Yamaha put more programming into them. Some styles have up to 16 measure loops and some of the pads have up to 8 measure loops.

I guess I like a challenge.

Grin

Joe H

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:57:52 AM by Joe H » Logged

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music and download my Dance Styles & Multi Pads:   http://psrtutorial
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 4  |  Topic: PSR-S650 YEP file not compatible with T4 - help « previous next »
Jump to: