PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 05:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
175,952 Posts in 23,453 Topics by 4,311 Members
Latest Member: Andhang
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Yamaha Keyboards  |  Yamaha Keyboards - General (Moderator: Bill Grosse)  |  Topic: new software - StyleMagic this is editor for style and midi files 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: « 1 2 3 » Go Down Print
Author Topic: new software - StyleMagic this is editor for style and midi files  (Read 28952 times)
Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »

MIXMASTER

Mixmaster could be the best midi sequence program for modern Yamaha keyboards ever.
However I deeply regret most of the common Mixmaster applications cannot do the in the pc but in the keyboard only. Cry
There should be no need to discuss StyleMagic if Mixmaster could do the job like XGWorks.
I assume Mixmaster cannot be changed due to copyrights or whatever.

I am very grateful there have been made some XGWorks patches ( made by private persons. Thank you, guys ! ) that keep XGWorks still alive.
But XGWorks is outdated though. It cannot handle modern styles. It has never been upgraded and never will.
Why never an XGWorks upgrade ? We do not know and probably never will.

When Yamaha bought Steinberg Germany in 2002 I was very hopeful and convinced Steinberg should develop typical Yamaha arranger keyboard programs.
Being so optimistic I even believed Steinberg should launch an XGWorks upgrade very soon. I am still waiting.   
Today, after 10 years time, Steinberg never launched a typical Yamaha arranger keyboard program whilst there is a strong market demand. Huh

Best regards, Jeff / The Netherlands

I LOVE XGWORKS AND SONAR !
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »

Jeff,

"There should be no need to discuss StyleMagic if Mixmaster could do the job like XGWorks."

This thread IS about StyleMagic and was started by the author of StyleMagic. It is not about MixMaster, XGworks or other sequencers or editors. It is about one particular style editor, that was being promoted by the guy who created it.

BTW... MixMaster is a MIDI editor with a focus on Yamaha arranger keyboards.

Regards,
Joe H

Music is the Universal Language!

See my Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music & download my Dance Styles and Multi Pads:   http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 01:36:57 AM »

Hi John H,

Being a none native speaking English member it is not always easy for me to choose the right words. Wink
Apparently you seemed to be irritated about my StyleMagic questions and/or remarks.
Bernard Shaw once said : there are no stupid questions.

Up to now I do not know what StyleMagic can do or cannot do compared to other programs I am working with.
If StyleMagic can do ( a lot ) more than the other progs I referred to, I would be very interested in ordering this prog.
Maybe it is better the StyleMagic Creator could answer that question.

I am a simple pc program user ( probably like most of us ).
I prefer to download trial versions that offer me a complete application for a limited period of time.

Best regards, Jeff

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »

Jeff,

Yes I see there is a language translation problem.

No I am not irritated at all. I was simply responding to you comment about StyleMagic and noting that this thread is about the StyleMagic program.

Sorry if I was misunderstood.

Regards,
Joe H

See my Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music & download my Dance Styles and Multi Pads:   http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
vlbrgt

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »

Hello,

As allready mentioned:
There is no way to test the program correctly, because you can not save all of your work or your creation.
If you are not able to save the style you just created in Stylemagic, and load it into your keyboard,
how can you be sure that the program does what it is meant to ?

Also the fact that the auteur needs access to my computer for creating a USB dongle:
forget it, that will not work for me.

I've downloaded the demo, and I must be honest, it looks good.

If the auteur would give a demo with let say a 'limited' save version (for 30 days or something like that),
and another way to make it installed on your PC after payement,
I think I would consider to buy it .

Regards
Etienne
RVoz
Asst. Member

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »

Seriously? I don't want to tell the author how to do his business, but USB dongle for such a niche tool? He is loosing sales just because of that.
This is such a limited niche tool that only a handfull of people would be interested and from that limited number many of them would be put off by the weird policy of having dongle.

I do pay for a software I need, but always check what is the policy and if there is some special online activation scheme, not to mention a dongle, I am simply out. I don't even bother, because I know myself, down the line I will be punished by this. Imagine if every freaking tool wants some dongle, you will need hundred USB slots - one is too many.
I don't even use cubase because of the stupid dongle.

Thanks but no thanks.
Change your policy - make simple trial   registration code and you got a sale. No fuzz, no hassle. But until then you may put all the nice adverts how good it is, I am not even going to try.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:57:26 AM by RVoz » Logged
Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »

Hi Guys,

Keep in mind our professional programmers Joergen S. and Michael J. are ALWAYS making their programs for FREE !
If we are asking for changes and/or looking for new programs, both gentlemen are ALWAYS ready to help us out immediately.
Last but not least I am convinced they both know Yamaha's keyboards like no other programmer in this world and all of their programs are ALWAYS updated and/or upgraded.
ONCE AGAIN I AM SO GRATEFUL AND LUCKY !!!!   Smiley Thank you, guys !

Being a simple user, I will not and cannot judge the quality of Style Magic YA.
By using the PSR Tutorial Forum the author of this program has probably found an easy way to introduce and promote his program without paying one penny. 
I honestly believe this program is rather expensive and the use of a dongle is not my favourite.

I am very disappointed the author is not offering a special deal price to this Forum.
I think he made a big mistake ...
Best regards, Jeff

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 07:52:46 AM »

Jeff,

you wrote:  "I am very disappointed the author is not offering a special deal price to this Forum. I think he made a big mistake ...'

I agree with you completely (and his program IS over priced too.  There are 3,336 members in this forum and many more visitors. He is missing out on some business for sure.

Joe H

Jørgen

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »

Hi

Hi Guys,

Keep in mind our professional programmers Joergen S. and Michael J. are ALWAYS making their programs for FREE !
If we are asking for changes and/or looking for new programs, both gentlemen are ALWAYS ready to help us out immediately.
Last but not least I am convinced they both know Yamaha's keyboards like no other programmer in this world and all of their programs are ALWAYS updated and/or upgraded.
ONCE AGAIN I AM SO GRATEFUL AND LUCKY !!!!   Smiley Thank you, guys !
(snip)

Thanks Jeff for you most kind words.
I am both grateful and proud...

I am not to judge other programmers "business model"... You are the judges...

Best wishes
Jørgen

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
thomasms

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »

Hello and sorry that I was silent for so long.

Thank you for the discussion.
I am perfectly aware that the dongle scares some people.
Unfortunately, there is no other option, the create of such a program it many hours of work.
I also understand that lack save in demo version, prevents full check StyleMagic.

Therefore, to announce promotions on StyleMagic YA for forum members!!!
Promotion runs until 10.12.2012,
Promotion price on StyleMagic:  35 EURO
Password: CHOPIN (please write in the order confirmation).

Regards Thomas
Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 02:09:59 PM »

Hi Thomas,

What about those poeple who already paid EURO 55,-- ? Do they get EURO 20,-- back from you ?
Plse advise.

Best regards, Jeff

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »

Thomas,

With all due respect, dongles are an obsolete method of copy protection, I believe you will sell more copies of your program using some other method to protect your investment.

Permanently lowering your price will also help sell copies. As someone has already stated, it is a niche market with limited buyers. I would think you would want to make some money for all your hard work.

Regards,
Joe H

tyrosaurus

Tyros 4

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

Thomas,

Would the USB dongle allow the software to be transferred to a new or second PC?

What is your policy regarding program updates?

Regards

Ian
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

I feel more like I do now then when I first got it

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »

Therefore, to announce promotions on StyleMagic YA for forum members!!!
Promotion runs until 10.12.2012,
Promotion price on StyleMagic:  35 EURO
Password: CHOPIN (please write in the order confirmation).

Regards Thomas

[/quote]

Tad bit cornfused. 10/12 /2012 ? Gee

Tyros 4(finally) Korg M3 88  Kurzweil 2600x Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
 2 Crate stereo KBX 100
tyrosaurus

Tyros 4

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »

Hi Gary,

That's how we write dates on this side of the Pond!   DD/MM/YY

It means 10th December, 2012 (or should that be December 10th, 2012 ?)   Wink

Regards

Ian
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »

Oh I see Thats different on my side of the pond LOL

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
thomasms

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »

promotion does not work backwards, lasts until 17 November 2012 to 10 December 2012.

program can be used on any computer, just plug the dongle.

Updates are free, my customers can confirm this (maybe one of them is reading this forum).

StyleMagic has all the necessary functions.
Plans for the future:
- edit OTS
- edit layers for CASM settings in SFF2.

For the development software are necessary financial resources, because the program is payable.
I have no sponsor Sad, I writes software for Yamaha since 2002, first, only in Poland.

This discussion makes me happy, please, only functional questions, protection of software not be subject to discussion, everyone has the right to protect their masterpieces.

Regards
Thomas

Bill Grosse

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 06:53:55 AM »

Thomas,

I suspect the problem with the dongle has as much to do with the reliability of the dongle as anything.
I currently use Cubase and it too requires a dongle and I think it is a very good idea because I can run the program on all of my PC's and also take my work to a different studio having Cubase and use their Cubase too.
So far - knock on wood - the dongle has never been a problem for me, but I do have reservations about a regular USB stick.

Do you have any way of repairing a known buyer of your software's dongle?
Perhaps a small re-activation fee?

Please continue to update us here as we are all interested in style making software.

Regards,

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »

Hi,

I wonder if one of our members or visitors of this Forum already bought the full version ( with dongle ) of StyleMagic  ?
If so, that would be very helpful.
His/her or their feedback and comments are most welcome !

Thanks and best regards, Jeff

RVoz
Asst. Member

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »

I am not sure about "no other option". There are many other options, very few programmers resort to "dongle", but you have to start first by trusting your potential customers.
What you program is not a Cubase, neither by depth nor price. I simply find it comical that it require similar dongle scheme.

What if I pay you money but I tell you in order to spent them you need to use my USB dongle because I really want to control how you spent the money..... This is exactly what you are doing to me from my point of view... exactly the same. You just want to know I am not using the software illegally. You don't trust me? Good, neither I do trust you. I want to know you are not using my money illegally either.

But it is your way, this is just a humble feedback, so you know why it is not selling like a hotcake.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:28:09 PM by RVoz » Logged
MBedesem
PSR Professor

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »

My programs are freeware, but I have had enough experience on internet groups to realize that copyrights are not universally respected.

This is real problem for individuals who depend upon the income from their programming efforts.

I suspect that the author would like to dispense with the extra work this protection entails. There are other copy measures in use, but dongle do work.

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@sover.net
Tyros 5
Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »

Hi,

To be successful with his commercial program Thomas could email an operational copy, free of charge, to : Joergen S, Michael B, Bill G and Joe H to test StyleMagic fully.

REMARKS
I realize is not easy for Joergen and Michael to judge a ( commercial ) program made by another programmer. I would not be surprised they cannot accept my suggestion.
For Bill G and Joe H my proposal might sound easier to give us their impressions but I also realize and understand they would not agree.
Finally Thomas might not be interested in my proposal either.

Plse do not shoot the piano player ... it is just a thoughtRoll Eyes

Best regards, Jeff

Jørgen

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2012, 12:36:47 AM »

Hi Jeff

I have tried the demo; and it looks good.
But I have no way of testing if the software program does a proper job... as I can not save anything.

I will gladly test a full version... and I would be honest in my judgments.
Previously in this thread, I have said that the program has a very nice User Interface.

Best wishes
Jørgen

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2012, 05:13:10 AM »

Hi Joergen,

I am very happy with your words.
I think it would be wonderful to read your comments after you have tested StyleMagic profoundly.

I may hope Thomas is willing to cooperate.
I believe his program deserves a fair judgment.

If the program will brings us what we are expecting, EURO 35,-- seems to me to be an acceptable price.
However Thomas should extend his promotional action at least up to January 31, 2013. 

We have to wait for his reaction.

Cross my fingers  Roll Eyes, Jeff

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »

et al,

I spent some time working with the demo over the weekend with my S910 connect to my PC. Some functions seem to work and others do not. An example, is trying to change a Voice while in the Mixer having selected a specific Section. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

I think I discovered ( I'm not sure) when set to the Global selection, sometimes Voice could be changed. So it may have to do with the fact that sometimes Voices change for one Section and use a different Voice in another Section. An example would be a Voice is used for the Phrase 2 channel for an Intro only, then a different Voice is used for the rest of the style.

There was also the occasion of "applying" some changes to other parameters that did not take effect when I clicked "Apply". this not the same as saving the file, it's just applying the changes made in the Mixer before exiting the screen to do some other edits. I think there is an asumption that the user has good working knowledge of the CASM... yeah if you are a programmer    Smiley

I got a little tired of that experience. It took me a while to figure out how to open the CASM Editor, and once I did, I had no real idea how to make edits there without messing things up.

Looking to the manual... it became apparent quickly was how difficult is is to refer to the manual for anything because there is no way to print it out that I could tell.  It is lacking in detail (what else is new in this forum)  I think it would help if he should provided a pdf version of the manual.

I think it is important to have good documentation for an editor like this. We all know it is not easy to edit styles.

Joe H

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:58:37 PM by Joe H » Logged

Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2012, 10:00:55 PM »

Hi Joe,

I may hope Thomas has heard my voice and accept my proposal to let you, guys, profoundly test and judge a fully operational version of StyleMagic.
In my eyes Thomas has nothing to loose only to win if he is willing to cooperate.
Maybe he needs some time to think it over. 

Best regards, Jeff

gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2012, 11:04:23 PM »

A couple of Budwiesers would help

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »

I generally work from Yamaha's preset styles that have not been altered by anyone. But I have come across styles I like that were modified. these are often messed up and blast at high volume when they are loaded. It has hurt my ears and nearly damaged my $250 headphones.

So my interest in the program is mostly minor tweaks of preset styles and corrections to modified styles that have the volume cranked up and are drowning in reverb.

One thing I was able to do was change a string pad up an octave for one Section. On the Voice editing, I would like to know if you can assign different voices to each Section. There are occassions where that would be interesting.

As far as editing the CASM goes, yes there is some information in the keyboard manual, but a detailed explanation of the CASM and how to properly edit it is essential, otherwise you can screwup a style. What is the point of including a capability in the program without a detailed explanation on how to use that editor.

I contacted Thomas about the USD purchase and about the availability of a backup dongle, he has not responded yet.

BTW... he has updated the program to include support for the PSR S950.

Cheers,
Joe H

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:51:53 AM by Joe H » Logged

Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »

Hi Joe,

Good to hear the author included the support for the S950.
I might be interested in buying this program if it has been tested and approved by people like you, Bill G, Joergen S and Michael B first.

Best regards, Jeff

thomasms

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »

Hi Everybody

The promotion applies only to the first license dongle, more dongle without promotion.
The cost of the new dongle (if you have lost) is 1/3 the price without promotion.

Joe H - voice, reverb, chorus, variation, balance You can set in the mixing console.
If the section has its own settings, you have to make settings for the selected section.
If the section does not have its own settings, the section uses the global settings.
The local settings of the section take precedence over global settings.
The program works very good, I have clients in Poland, as well as several people from outside the Poland.

I will make a movie about StyleMagic, which will appear on YouTube.

Regards
Thomas
Bill Grosse

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »

Thomas,

I am looking forward to you uTube video - please let us know here when you post it.

I am very interested in your program and think your special price to the forum is very good.

Regards,

Bill G

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »

Thomas,

Thank you for the response. If I understand you correctly a second backup dongle is not available, only a replacement dongle which I would have to pay for if the original stops working. You would require that I mail the dongle to you in Poland to prove it is no longer working and then pay $24 USD to get a replacement. I view that kind of policy as unrealistic.

I think you are making it difficult to do business. I also think your program is very nice and it is useful but... it is not a "masterpiece".

At this point I think I will continue to use a different program to do my Style editing.

Special offer?  Thanks, but no thanks!

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:04:22 AM by Joe H » Logged

thomasms

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2012, 11:38:42 AM »

here is the link to the user manual in PDF format:

http://www.midisoft.pl/en/hu/zasoby/stylemagic-manual.zip

Joe - i you damage your key, there are two ways out:
1. buy new dongle for 1/3 the price.
2. You send to me  to verify the failure, if the key is broken I give a new key for free.

Thomas
Jeff Hollande

Tyros4 XXL

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »

Hi Guys,

I only want Style Editing Programs made by our own programmers Joergen S and Michael B.
All their programs are free of charge and never need dongles.
All their progs are very reliable, plug-and-play , continuously updated, pro manuals are always available and a non stop service and support , especially for dummies like me.
Last but not least all their programs are made to measure and made for Yamaha keyboards only.   

I am sure you all agree.
Regards, Jeff

thomasms

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »

and very well that are free and commercial programs, people have a choice. The worst thing is to not have a choice Sad.

and here is a link to the user's manual in Dutch:

http://www.midisoft.pl/en/hu/zasoby/handleiding.zip

thanks for my client from the Netherlands Smiley

Thomas
tyrosaurus

Tyros 4

« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »

A couple of days ago I visited the Midisoft website at the link in the first post of this thread to find out more about StyleMagic.

Hoping to find out about the purchasing process, I clicked on 'bay full version' in the Order column of the page, expecting to get another page with information, or a form of some kind.  Instead the executable file 'ordersoft.exe' was downloaded without any warning.  I did not like this very much, but after scanning it with two virus scanners without any 'surprises' being found, I ran the file to see how the 'dongle' was implemented and how the 'discount' was applied.  I did not order the product and closed the program.

Today I downloaded the StyleMagic manual from Thomas' post but I have not yet opened it.

About an hour later I was logging in again to PsrTutorial and as I entered my password, my virus checker alerted me to a virus that it had removed. The file that it quarantined as the source of the virus was 'ordersoft.exe', the one from MidiSoft. I had not started this file today and as far as I was aware it was not running at the time.

The alert was of a generic nature which apparently means that it had discovered code or activities typical of malware. The contents of the alert were ...

Gen:Variant.Kazy.113115  removed
File:C:\Downloads\ordersoft.exe    Quarantined

Now this may have been a 'false positive' since it looks as if the ordersoft program will try to acquire the serial number of an attached USB stick to make the dongle, but why should I get an alert now rather than when it was running, and was it just coincidence that it happened as I logged into the forum?  Needless to say this has put me off ordering the product. There is no way that I am entering credit card details, even as a Paypal guest user after this!

I just thought that potential purchasers should be aware of my experience.

Regards

Ian
Bill Grosse

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »

Ian,

I went through the same exercise and neither of my ant-virus software detected a problem.

This is a fairly normal operation for some of the European sites.

It does seem strange to run an executable program in this maner, but it does raise the hair on the back of your neck for sure.

I did not complete the exchange because I need to get a new blank USB dongle.

Bill G

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »

Jorgen Jorensen wrote:

"I am not to judge other programmers "business model"... You are the judges..."

I too do not much like the "executable" program to purchase StyleMagic, among the several other concerns I have.

As a business owner for 31 years, I wish Thomas well but... unfortunately I must give Midisoft low marks.  Maybe it's just a cultural difference on how we practice free-market capitalism in America. I don't know.

Regards,
Joe H

Bill Grosse

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »

Well I think Thomas needs to find a person to represent him in the USA for selling his software here.

Or - perhaps someone in Europe that has better connections with the money collection market.

Bill G

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

In all honesty, to me it's like someone has made a very nice pair of shoes, but the shoes weren't polished and buffed before they were put on the rack for sale.

All it would take to market them would be a good saleman... and they might just sell like "hotcakes" as the saying goes.

Cheers,
Joe H

Pages: « 1 2 3 » Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Yamaha Keyboards  |  Yamaha Keyboards - General (Moderator: Bill Grosse)  |  Topic: new software - StyleMagic this is editor for style and midi files « previous next »
Jump to: