Author Topic: Psr 2000 repairs  (Read 7291 times)

Twbursey

Psr 2000 repairs
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:26:03 AM »
Hi all,
 Just recently acquired a 2000 that's not working.Whenit's powered up,the red and green mic over signal lights come on but go off right away and then there is nothing.I've tried 3 different power supplies and get the same result.Any bit of insight would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: Psr 2000 repairs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »
Twbursey,

Be sure the power supply you are using is 16 volt DC output and with at least 35 watts - more watts is okay, but not less.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »
Twbursey,

You've got mail - be sure to check it out - you'll be glad you did.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Twbursey

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
I have 2 PA 300 power supplies here and they both work on my 2100.Thanks.

Offline yamahajohn

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »
Hi, is the centre pin of the dc socket on the keyboard intact these can become loose due to rough handling if not someone could have used a power supply with the wrong polarity this would cause a diode to blow on the power supply board, but if the keyboard comes on and goes off as you say i'd go for the dc socket these are available from yamaha and if you can handle a soldering iron you can repair this yourself i put a 2000 service manual on boxnet download it it shows where everything is and part numbers. good luck. john. ;)

jakeyboy-1

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
Hi How did you get on with the repair I had  a 2000 that died last week and exactly the same problem  Just wondering if it was a serious fix

Offline musicman78

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »
I'm new to this forum and have been searching for some time now to find a solution to my problem which is my key board won't startup when I press the standby button.
2 led flash once and goes dead. I checked the power supply on another keyboard and it works ok. I spent days on the internet looking for a solution and ran across this,
"Postby M80Records Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:55 pm

I recently had a successful repair of a Yamaha psr-2000. when the unit was powered on only a brief led light would flicker and unit would not power on. To repair you will need to change out Capacitor C000 25v 100uf and IC114 DC to DC converter SI-8050S. They are located on a board that is in-cased inside a metal shield which has to be dis-assembled in order to get to the board. Apparently the cap leaks and then fries the ic. This fix worked, just keep in mind that the solder on the board is difficult to remove and you don't want to overheat to lift any pads.

The location of these parts are in the Attachment.
Where can I get these parts and is this a logical repair?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 04:27:24 PM »
The parts that you mention are on the 'DM' circuit board, and the Yamaha part numbers as shown in the Service Manual are ...

C0000   Electrolytic Cap.  100.00 (uF?)  25.0V   Yamaha part: UR848100 

IC114    IC  SI-8050S(LF1111)   DC-DC CONVERTER     Yamaha part: X0548A00

The part no. for the complete PSR-2000 DM circuit board is V7637800

The obvious way to try to source the parts is by contacting your country's Yamaha Support operation.

This is an old keyboard so I don't know if Yamaha can still supply the parts! The capacitor would be easy to source elsewhere, but I don't know about the DC-DC (Buck converter) IC114. However you will find data about it if you 'google' 'si 8050s regulator' or similar, so you may be able to source it.

If you can get new parts, assuming that you have some experience at soldering electronic components, they don't look to be too difficult to replace once you have removed the board.  Neither component is a 'surface mount' type and the IC is just five pins in a TO-22 case.   The Service Manual will be helpful in dismantling the unit.

Regarding whether this is a logical repair, that's anybodies guess, but the two components are next to each other on the circuit board, and if the IC is not outputting +5V DC from pin 2 for some reason, the keyboard is unlikely to work!

I don't know if this helps you at all!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:31:59 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline musicman78

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »
Thanks Ian. It's more than I expected after all that time I spent searching. I will be calling Tech support to see if I can get the parts I need. It's not hard to find a distributor of these parts. They don't want to sell just one part. I may have to find a broken keyboard with a DM board, hopefully that works. Thanks

Offline musicman78

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 05:56:59 PM »
Well I replaced the IC114,L101,D000 and C001. I had to repair the pads where the IC was hard to desolder. I now have the correct voltage up to the +3.3V regulator. When I pressed the standby switch I hear a low volume static sound that changes to a louder static sound. IC114 starts to get really hot. I turned off the power and let it cool down. Rechecked the voltages and didn't find any changes.  There are a lot of large IC chips on the DM board beyond my knowledge. Although I noticed that when I disconnect either CN108 or CN109 the static stops but the IC114 still heats up. Should I be looking for a single component or a new board? Which board would you consider replacing if that be the case. DM or AM or both. Have any idea what the cost would be? I appreciate the information you have given me so far. Thank you.

Offline musicman78

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 07:37:31 AM »
I had to throw in the towel on repairing my keyboard. First the repair cost is higher than the value to replace both boards. The DM board is expensive and hard to find on the internet. Second the age of the keyboard and reliability of the rest of the components are low at best. I decided to sell it for parts, take the money and purchase a PSR E453 which ended up being an even swarp. I want to thank everyone that helped me try to repair the 2000. Thanks.

Offline musicman78

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »
 Hi Ian. I've decided to try again to repair my PSR2000. I went on line to teach myself how to work on surface mounted components without destroying the circuit board. Now all I need is some help with using the block diagram and schematic for tracing the signal path to the output board to find out which component is causing the problem. I know I'm asking a lot. It would be a challenge for anyone who knows how to do it, especially me. To restate my problem.
The keyboard was totally dead. With some help from you and others I replaced some parts that got the keyboard to start up but found I had another problem. The notes played but was distorted with high freq noise. 2 Cables on the DM board CN109 and CN103 when either one is unplugged there is no sound coming out of the speaker. Does it sound like a bad cap or missing voltage supply? Or maybe a bad IC chip. I just tried to start the keyboard and its dead again. I have to repair it before I can go any further. I was going to send you the audio of what the keyboard sounds like. Oh well. I'll get back to you soon. Ted