PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 08:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
143,106 Posts in 20,134 Topics by 4,465 Members
Latest Member: Highfive
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 4  |  Topic: Legacy Choir Folder? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legacy Choir Folder?  (Read 3587 times)
Marcus

« on: January 23, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »

I create and modify a lot of the Tyros 4 styles to suit my performance and playing needs. I particularly like adding the CHD 1 (midi channel 12) from the Ethereal Voices style under Movie & Show or replacing the channel to other styles to add that sustained choir sound.

The normal choir voice assigned to this CHD 1 channel is BoysChoirOoh and each Main Variation builds this choir voice up A through D. I noticed when changing this voice, while just normally playing this style or in Style Creator, BoysChoirOoh is found in the Voices (Revoice) Preset Folder.

I was surprised to find this Preset Folder within the Choir folder of the Legacy folder instead of just the main Tyros 4 Choir folder. I found that this Choir folder that contains the Ethereal Voices "BoysChoirOoh" voices has 17 other choir voices within. Each choir voice is either a brand new Tyros 4 voice or reworked voice samples. All 17 sounds sound superb when substituted for the BoysChoirOoh voice. This can add a huge variation to this really outstanding Ethreal Voice style, while totally changing its overall sound.

Odd Yamaha would put 17 brand new choir voices within the so-called Legacy folder. I thought Legacy voices were previous voices from previous Tyros models. Anyway, my point is most of these 17 choir voices would be unnoticed and hidden within this folder. I upgraded to the Tyros4 mainly for the choir and human voice sounds. So if you need a certain choir voice or sound other than from the main Choir folder, check out a few of these - namely "Voices", "Choir", "Air Choir" and several others.

Sorry if I went into too much detail, but it was hard to explain. I hope some of you find this useful.

Regards, Marcus 
MBedesem
PSR Professor

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »

Marcus:

Its is a good question but I do not know the answer.

What I do know is that there are a lot of legacy voices with the same name but different numbers that may be there to provide continuity with files from the T3 etc.

But in this case, it appears that the voice is a Live voice and the voices in the main Preset folder are SA voices. It may be different with the T4, but as I recall, using SA voices in the T3 was not possible from the instrument and may not have been allowed (but you could make the assignments on the PC.). It might have something to do with effects. I do not know.

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@sover.net
Tyros 5
EileenL
Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 S950.
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:15:23 PM »

These voices were on Tyros three in the vocal section.

Marcus

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »

These voices were on Tyros three in the vocal section.

Hi Eileen

Nice to hear from you and thanks for your input. I checked Eileen, most of the seventeen choir voices within the Legacy Choir folder are either brand new Tyros 4 voices or the same name voices that matched the Tyros 3 voices, but sound reworked and improved. Definitely the "Choir", "Voices", "Air Choir" etc., even though the same name as the Tyros 3, sound a lot better to me. Even if I'm mistaken, why are the new Tyros 4 "Gospel Voices", "Humming", "BoysChoirOoh", or "BoysChoirAah" in the Legacy Folder?

Again, any of these choir voices fit well with the "Ethereal Voices" style as a substitute within this Legacy Choir folder while most of the Choir Voices from the Tyros 4 main Choir folder preset will not sound correct. To me it seems that Yamaha purposely placed these particular voices within the Legacy folder to fit specifically to the "Ethereal Voices" style. Just my take on the topic.

Regards, Marcus
EileenL
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »

Don't forget Mark that there is a new sound engine in Tyros 4 so it would make these sound better than they did on Tyros 3

Marcus

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:46:10 AM »

Don't forget Mark that there is a new sound engine in Tyros 4 so it would make these sound better than they did on Tyros 3

Good point Eileen. So the way I understand this is that some of the Tyros 3/2/1 voices that are in the Tyros 4 Legacy Folder that have the same name may remain the exact same wave form, but others were improved.

Probably the GM&XG and GM2 folder were not modified in the Tyros 4? I would rarely use these voices anyway, unless a wanted the older vintage sound. Technology has come a long way since the original midi sound set.

Regards, Marcus
jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »

It's over a year ago now, but my recollection is that "Voices" was also available on Ty3 in the Legacy folder. I remember thinking that it was the one of the best/useful sounding choir voices amongst a generally worse than average bunch available at the time and being surprised that it presumably must have existed on an earlier machine and was now relegated to Legacy.   
There are "extra string compatible" voices available in other Legacy sections corresponding to where there are SA2 voices present (Strings, Trumpet, Saxophone, Flute & Clarinet).
eg.  in Strings there is a CelticViolinStyle, and a JazzViolinStyle.
They don't on the face of it sound different from the main presets, but presumably there are subtle changes to settings to take account of the fact they are being played via a style machine as opposed to a real live person. Wink
John     
Marcus

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »

It's over a year ago now, but my recollection is that "Voices" was also available on Ty3 in the Legacy folder. I remember thinking that it was the one of the best/useful sounding choir voices amongst a generally worse than average bunch available at the time and being surprised that it presumably must have existed on an earlier machine and was now relegated to Legacy.   

Hi John

Exactly, there was only one choir voice that sounded good on the Tyros 3. I substituted this voice on all my reworked styles that used a choir voice, but I don't think it was called, "Voices", I'm pretty sure is was called "Gothic Vox". Tyros 4 was a huge upgrade on the choir voices.

I saved a Tyros 3 folder with all my Tyros 3 reworked and modified Styles onto my Tyros 4 hard drive. You had me curious how the Tyros 4 would play these Tyros 3 styles I transferred. Sure enough, where ever the "Gothic Vox" was originally programmed, the Tyros 4 automatically substitutes the "Voices" choir voice from the Legacy Folder - interesting.

I can't double check because my Tyros 3 is kept on site where I play. Regardless what Yamaha did with the Tyros 4, everything sounds better, however I still like my Tyros 3 and won't part with it.

I always keep two keyboards at a time, one for backup. If there is a Tyros 4 replacement, I'll probably sell or trade my Tyros 3 then.

Regards, Mark
EileenL
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »

Hi Mark we have Gothic Vox on Tyros 4

ccm58
Asst. Member

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »

Is there a chance that these voices are available for the PSR S910? If so...where can I download them?

thanks,

Cor.

PSR S910, M-Audio 40, Livello Freres Accordian, Hohner Flute, Ableton Live 8
Marcus

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »

Is there a chance that these voices are available for the PSR S910? If so...where can I download them?

thanks,

Cor.

Hi Cor.

I don't think these voices in the legacy folder are transferable nor able to copy and download to a PSR S910. They are part of the Tyros RAM wave memory.

Check the PSR S910 PDF data sheet for your model. It should show every voice within the PSR S910. The PSR S910 shares a lot of voices from the Tyros series. If you cannot find suitable choir voices within the choir preset folder, check if it also has a Legacy folder as well. Also doesn't the PSR S910 have a similar Voice Creator function to perhaps modify existing voices?

I hope I was of some help.

Regards, Marcus
jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 03:37:05 AM »

The PSR has Voice Set similar to Tyros which can be used to tweak existing in built voices but there is no facility to import wave files to enable you  to create entirely new voices as on Tyros 3/4.
John
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:39:37 AM by jwyvern » Logged
ccm58
Asst. Member

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »

Thank you Marcus...what a shame...I liked the boys choir voice.. Cry

Thanks again

PSR S910, M-Audio 40, Livello Freres Accordian, Hohner Flute, Ableton Live 8
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 4  |  Topic: Legacy Choir Folder? « previous next »
Jump to: