PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 02:26:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To see all categories, you must be logged in. Guests see only boards in two categories.
144,446 Posts in 20,332 Topics by 4,450 Members
Latest Member: lilryu
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 4  |  Topic: Limitations of Tyros 4 flashmemory & Yamaha Premium Packs/Voices 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Limitations of Tyros 4 flashmemory & Yamaha Premium Packs/Voices  (Read 16127 times)
robbiedoes
Assoc Member

« on: October 14, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »

Today I've detected a bad limitation of the Tyros (flash)memory. I'm happy to own all the available Premium Packs and Voices of Yamaha. I completely deleted the Custom and Premium Voice Library and formatted the expansion memory to be sure all memory is free. Then I've only loaded all the Yamaha Premium Packs and Voices (PanFlute, Trombone, VintageKeys, Entertainer, Euro&US Organ, Choir&Vocal, MixedChoir, etc, etc).

The following memory status is shown:

A total of 504MB memory is used and 518MB memory is still free.
But take account of the Waveform Counts....it's almost totally used. From the total of 1280 Waveform positions, only 92 are free.

Then I've loaded some Custom Voices, resulting in the following memory status:

Still 364MB of memory free, but only just 28 Waveform positions available. Notice that in proportion to the Premium Voices, the Custom Voices uses way less Waveform positions.

At this point I would like to load some sounds of the Europack. I receive this message on the Tyros 4 display:

Done....I've bought an expensive memory flash module of 1GB, still 364MB free but due to limitations of the Waveform positions I'm finished here. There are 473 Waveform positions needed, but there are only 28 Waveform positions available.

I'm really disappointed by this limitation and will contact Yamaha about this. I hope this can be solved by a firmware update (if it's not hardware related). In this state I (and everyone that also own all the Yamaha Premium Packs and Voices) am not able to load any future Premium Packs or Voices anymore from Yamaha as there are not enough Waveform positions available anymore (even if I don't load any Custom Voices).

Greetings,

Robert
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:22:44 AM by robbiedoes » Logged

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Everything about my musical activities and Tyros 4: http://www.robbiedoes.nl/index_uk.htm
tomtomsf
Charter Member

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:42:41 PM »

Well, that is not good! I guess Yamaha doesn't want us to buy any more expansion voices? I sure hope they are able to come up with a reasonable solution. Let us know what they tell you, Robbie.

Tom G.

Tyros 4
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »

Robert, how many of those loaded voices can you use at any given time?  Huh

When I watch Telmo show his productions, I think there is plenty of memory for doing just
about anything you have in mind by adjusting what you have loaded at a given moment in
the way of expansion voices.
Not all voices make use of so many waveforms, but you have definitely run up on that limitation.

This has been the same limit on all of the Tyros keyboards and is not new to the T4.

I hope you can live with it.  Smiley

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
Bill

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 03:25:16 AM »

HI ROBERT

Why not simply do a Memory Library SAVE once before you get near the Max.  Then you can start again, this way you can simply call up a Memory Bank by selecting Library Load.
If you give the process a lot of thought you can group the Voices together that you are likely to need at any one time.

I'm not really explaining myself very well but compare it to The Music Finder Database, you can have as many as you like and simply load the one you want.

Bill

England
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »

Thanks Bill - That was what I was trying to say too.  Cool

Bill G

robbiedoes
Assoc Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:42:53 PM »

Hello both Bill's  Wink,

Of course it's possible to save a library. But...if you delete items in your library it will still exist in your Expansion Memory. You need to delete the loaded waves and defrag the Expansion Memory to really free up some memory. Defrag can also be a time consuming activity and totally locks your Tyros during the process.

And...due to the very slow performance of loading new libraries/waves into the memory (the first time) I don't want to be busy waiting all the time. A large Premium Pack needs 15-30 minutes to fully load/install the first time (in other words: when the wave doesn't already exist in memory).

Maybe these words needs some explanation about how the Expansion Memory is used in the Tyros 4

When loading a voice a few things happens.
  • A set of various waves are loaded into the Expansion Memory
  • A voicename is added to the Custom Voice library, which you can compare as a kind of shortcut to the set of waves that makes that voice

When deleting a voice in the Custom Voice library, only the shortcut is removed. The voice itself remains in memory. Just test it yourself by looking at the available memory size of the Expansion Memory, when you delete the voice the available memory size doesn't change.

The only way to free up the memory is to delete the set of waves in the Expansion Memory (look in the properties in the category "NO CATEGORY" for Custom Voices or in the category "PREMIUM" for the Premium Voices). But....that is risky, as the same waves can be used by more voices (so more voices may rely on one wave). So it is possible when deleting the waves out of the memory, that other voices in the Custom Voice library are damaged and do not sound correct anymore.

An example of the waves view in the Expansion Module menu:

If you delete the set of waves, the memory is still not coming available if it's not the last set of waves that was loaded. In that case you're leaving a "gap" in the memory. That's why there is a defrag option. The defrag option takes care of reorganizing the memory to remove the gaps so the memory that was used by the gaps comes available again.

And last but not least, for the Premium Packs it is not able to delete individual waves (for example if you like to delete the Drum Kit that comes with the Entertainer pack or any other voice). In the Expansion Memory they are shown as one big wave per Voice Pack or Premium Pack as you can see in this picture:

And unfortunately, the problem of the fully loaded "Wave Counts" and "Waveform Counts" does exist because of the Premium Packs and Voices are using a lot of the maximum available counts.

Greetings,

Robert
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:07:25 PM by robbiedoes » Logged

Everything about my musical activities and Tyros 4: http://www.robbiedoes.nl/index_uk.htm
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »

Robert,

Well that is a bummer and is not the case with the T3 expansion memory.
I guess that comes with the new flash memory.

Seems odd that it works this way and I wonder if the New Motif XF also works that way.
I quit following the Motif forum after I sold mine, but I'm sure that would be a deal breaker
for most Motif users if that is the same.

Does Yamaha tell you there is no other way to deal with this situation?  Huh

Bill G

Bill

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 08:56:45 AM »

Hi Robert

Many thanks for coming back on this one.

I was aware of deleting the Wave Elements previously however I have never seen a better explanation than the one you have posted. Lots of members will really appreciate it.
What I was trying to say was maybe you don't need all the voices for each Gig you go to, therefore with a lot of thought you could perhaps arrange the voices and elements in groups - each with a Library Load then you could load up what you wanted at home.  I know it's big pane but that always going to be a problem - the more flexible the get the more we fill them up.

Regards

Bill

England
robbiedoes
Assoc Member

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 02:43:14 AM »

What I was trying to say was maybe you don't need all the voices for each Gig you go to, therefore with a lot of thought you could perhaps arrange the voices and elements in groups - each with a Library Load then you could load up what you wanted at home.  I know it's big pane but that always going to be a problem - the more flexible the get the more we fill them up.

Hi Bill,

As I said this isn't possible for the Premium Packs and Voices. Each Voice Pack or Premium Pack is bundled into one wave file. If I delete that file, the whole corresponding pack is deleted.

My point is that I've paid a lot of money for all the packs. And I really want to buy and use any future packs of Yamaha as its quality is very good. But buying any future Premium Pack/Voice is waste of money now as I (and all other Tyros 4 users that have installed all the Premium Packs and Voices) can't install them anymore without the need of very time consuming unload/load procedures.

I hope Yamaha realizes the miss of income due to this current limitation.

Greetings,

Robert
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:44:45 AM by robbiedoes » Logged

sailorman
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:30:40 AM »

Robert Grin
I am wondering if this limitation of the flash ROM has been forwarded to Yamaha for comment?   Roll Eyes

I think the content of this total thread should make it clear to Yamaha the financial implication to themselves and the inconvenience to the many owners of the Tyros4.

As this appears not to have been a problem with Tyros3 there may bee some resolution within an OS update. Grin

i would be quite happy to convey this thread to Yamaha Germany for their comments.

I need to read a little more carefully then i would have seen that you were contacting Yamaha.

Regards Gilbert. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:46:36 AM by sailorman » Logged
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 06:40:30 AM »

I am stunned that the flash memory can not be erased with a simple format operation
in a few seconds , same as a flash drive, making the entire memory appear as empty and
available for new writing.

The time it takes to write to and erase data from the flash memory seems a giant step backwards to me.
When a simple USB flash drive can be written to and retains it's memory when removed from power source,
and is manipulated same as a hard drive, why on earth is flash memory in the T4 so different and expensive?

Seems to me a simple and rechargeable battery backup for the old memory would have been a much better option.

Bill G

mark styles
PSR Performer

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »

I'm having the same problem here.  I bought bari sax, and pan flutes.  First saxes wouldn't load gave me a data error.  Then failed on pan flutes, cause there wasn't enough memory.  I read thru this posting here.  I deleted many UVN voices.  Still couldn't look, next defragged the drive = it took quite a long time.  This loaded Bari sax, but still not enough room for pan flutes.

I can't understand how an expansion voice points to it's uvn components.  How do you know which uvns to delete?

Would it be quicker to just format the expansion memory and start over reloading them.  (seems like it might).  or does 'format' take a long time too?

Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »

First thing that Yamaha says is format the memory after install regardless; when first installing
For such an expensive piece of equipment "Tyros 4" Yamaha should have thoroughly tested its expansive memory and its applications before release.
This memory is ridiculously expensive in today's day and age!
You don't need to have these kind of problems with such a top of the line instrument;go figure
Hopefully there will be a work around for this.
Makes you think a little before buying more.

Craig "Keyboardist"

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
EileenL
Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 S950.
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »

Hi Mark
   When you go into the flash memory the sample elements are named.Just delete all of those.Some have 9 or 10 others have 20 to 30 depending on the size.

mark styles
PSR Performer

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »

I did delete enough elements to load Bari and Pan flute, Some of the homemade instruements, the elements werem't clear to me, which program they were associated with.

Loaded pan flute, However 2nd flute gives me an error message.  A call to Yamaha New York, and then California really didn't give me a solution, The California guy just kinda 'talked over my head'.  I came away with, I should reformat the flash memory and start..  Not really worth the time to get one Pan flute patch.  Having a lot computer issues right now, perhaps when I get them ironed out, I will attempt getting the 2nd pan flute to work.

badpuppa
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »

Hi All,
Yamaha has released a firmware upgrade (1.10) for the Tyros4 to address this problem. It increases space on the expansion module for voice ram, wave count and waveform count. The firmware upgrade can be downloaded at the following location.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id=16535&product_id=1072947

keep smiliní
badpuppa
robbiedoes
Assoc Member

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »

Thank you for your notification. A little bit dissappointed that Yamaha NEVER send me an answer, although I've informed Yamaha through their support website. But I'm very happy to see that the problem is solved! Now I'm ready for a next Voice Pack, when released by Yamaha.

Greetings,

Robert

YamahaUS1
Asst. Member

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »

Robbie,

The update was announced today.  If they know you're on this site, they might see that you already know.

Steve
Yamaha USA

Yamaha Customer Support
ycasupport@yamaha.com
robbiedoes
Assoc Member

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »

Robbie,

The update was announced today.  If they know you're on this site, they might see that you already know.

Steve
Yamaha USA

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your reply on my post. I've reported this 3 months ago on Yamaha's support page and only received an automatically generated confirmation email about my reported issue. Wouldn't it be better if Yamaha send me a reply in October/November telling me the problem will be fixed in a next firmware? As customer I simply expect a (personal) answer on my (personal) question.

But finally...of course I'm really helped and very happy with the released firmware update. Yamaha did a great job and now I'm ready for the next Premium Pack to buy from Yamaha Cheesy as soon as a new one will be released.

PS: I am somewhat curious of the changes/fixes in the unreleased versions 1.04 till 1.09  Huh.

Greetings,

Robert

jhart1945
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »

Since this a is a thread about the T4 flash memory, I have a question that I hope is ok to ask here. If not, I apologize now.

I will be receiving my new T4 in a few days and want to purchase the 1GB flash module for it. The going price on the internet seems to be $300.
Are there any reputable dealers that have better pricing.
Thanks,
Jerry
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 01:25:28 PM »

Jerry,

That seems to be the going price as far as I know.

Bill G

Bill

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »

Hi Gerry

Here in Europe we have two options.
The Yamaha version costs £255  and a new MUTEK Version which costs £152
Quite a difference in price.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mutec_fmc06.htm

Regards

Bill

England
jhart1945
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 04:28:37 AM »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time.
Bud2
Asst. Member

Tyros 4, NP30

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »

I know 2 people who have bought the Mutek version and it works just fine, leaving you money to buy the first voice pack.  Wink
tony kiek
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »

Hi Robert (Robbiedoes),

I notice on one of your postings in this thread you show a screenshot that has some ShadowsGuitar voices. Are these ones that you've made yourself ? If so is there any chance that you could let me have (or buy ?) these voices, as I'm a Shadows devotee and most of the backing tracks I make are for Shadows guitarists. The Shadows lead guitar voices the I've made myself are ok but it would be interesting to hear/use yours.

Tony
Jindabyne, Australia.
tonykiek@hotmail.com
phase678
Novice Poster

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »

What a real downer when you spend all this money then find shocks like this but I believe the latest upgrade to 1.10 corrects this I have just done this and everything seems good on a Mutec FM 06.
Good Luck
Jim
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

I feel more like I do now then when I first got it

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 10:33:09 AM »

Hi Gerry

Here in Europe we have two options.
The Yamaha version costs £255  and a new MUTEK Version which costs £152
Quite a difference in price.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mutec_fmc06.htm

Regards

Bill

will this work for the T3 also

Tyros 4(finally) Korg M3 88  Kurzweil 2600x Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
 2 Crate stereo KBX 100
lion

I dont play very well, but very loud ! on my T4 B

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »

Hi Gary,
For the t3 you must have the old pc133 ram, on yamahas homside you can see the type you can use,
and remember: always mount as pair eg. 2 x256 or 2x 512.
Leo
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:01:22 AM by lion » Logged
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »

Hi Gary,
For the t3 you must have the old pc133 ram, on yamahas homside you can see the type you can use,
and remember: always mount as pair eg. 2 x256 or 2x 512.
Leo

wow thanx lion...i did not know that about the pairs . so i guess the best thing to do is install the 2- 512 or it would be goofy to install 256 cause the would be useless to upgrade again...would i throw 2-256  them away

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
lion

I dont play very well, but very loud ! on my T4 B

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 01:22:41 AM »

Hi Gary,
Yes take it all at once, dont buy new ones, there are plenty of them as used from old computers,
T3 can use almost all of them, not just the onces that yamaha says.
Remark: When you have installed some premium-packs, the T3 must load them every time you start T3,
so it takes some time 4 - 8 minutes before you can play.
Leo
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 06:04:12 AM »

Gary,

I would definitely go for the entire 1 Gig memory.
I purchased memory from the following link for my Motif and it is exactly
the same for the Tyros and I used it in my T3 without any problems.

http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/mek1gb.html

The price is a little high, but I no longer see this size memory listed any where else.

Bill G

gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 06:12:41 AM »

Thanx Bill...I saw on ebay the  pc133  2x512 sell for around 16 to 34.00 is it the same ...seems to be. Wonder why so cheap ?
Gary

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 06:20:04 AM »

Gary,

It is likely okay - at that price it is worth trying.
It will either work or not and not likely to cause any harm.

Bill G

EileenL
Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 S950.
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »

Hi Tony
   The Shadows voice you mention is in one of the Pemo sound Packs

davlippo7
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »

IF you want to know which pack is which so you can remove them here is what I think is correct based on the order of my purchases and thus the order of the arrangements of packs. You can confirm as well by going to your history under MusicSoft in the order of your purchases. If you bought several at the same time then you'll be uncertain as to which is which as I have noted below. Don't hold me liable so please confirm yourself before officially deleting anything.

Voice Packs 2 & 3 are the SA2 T-bone and Choir/Voice (Not sure which is which though)
Voice Pack 1 is Euro & US Organs
VP 0 id SA2 Pan Flutes
VP 5 is Baritone Sax
VP 4 & 6 are SA2 Tenor and Alto Sax (Not sure which is which)
VP 7 is Vintage Keys
VP 8 is the Entertainer Pack
VP 9 Female Voices
VP 10 is Vintage Synth
VP 11 is Balkans/Turkey
VP 12 is Latin
gary3917
Gary
Supporter
Assoc Member

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »

hey...thanx davlippo7 i was a wonderin how that goes .
Does anyone know if there any third parties that do voices and styles orm only Yamaha . I would love some guitar styles and VP
Gary

2 Crate stereo KBX 100
business_usa_mex - Al Ram
Supporter

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »

Hi All,
Yamaha has released a firmware upgrade (1.10) for the Tyros4 to address this problem. It increases space on the expansion module for voice ram, wave count and waveform count. The firmware upgrade can be downloaded at the following location.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id=16535&product_id=1072947

keep smiliní
badpuppa

Has anyone installed this firmware upgrade already ?   If, so, any problems ?

I am planning on doing the firmware upgrade but wondering . . . . do I have to backup everything first ?

(I have not done any complete backup yet . . . . so I do not even know how to do iit, that is why my question).

thanks

AL 

AL

AL
karmacomposer

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

hey...thanx davlippo7 i was a wonderin how that goes .
Does anyone know if there any third parties that do voices and styles orm only Yamaha . I would love some guitar styles and VP
Gary

I will be converting my products to Tyros format (3 and 4).

www.supersynths.com

Mike

Yamaha PSR s910, Korg Karma, CME UF8, Axiom 61, Presonus Studio Pro, Samplitude 10 Pro, many vsti, EWQLSO, EWQLSC and KHSO Diamond. 8 networked dual/quad/octo core PCs & 1 Mac Mini. Eigenharp Pico.  www.hardcoreharmonics.com - www.supersynths.com
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 4  |  Topic: Limitations of Tyros 4 flashmemory & Yamaha Premium Packs/Voices « previous next »
Jump to: