PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 11:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To see all categories, you must be logged in. Guests see only boards in two categories.
193,570 Posts in 25,411 Topics by 4,416 Members
Latest Member: thanhtrieu89
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 1 (Moderator: MBedesem)  |  Topic: TYROS Hard Drive Folder Organization 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TYROS Hard Drive Folder Organization  (Read 4184 times)
BIG_BEN
« on: January 13, 2005, 08:08:51 AM »

Hi again,
I am Ben corsetti, proud owner of a TYROS with a 20 GIG Toshiba Hard Drive Installed. I have found one of the most difficult things about the system is the organization and naming of the file folders for ease of finding things.
I have over a thousand regular MIDI files, Over a thousand Midi Karaoke files, My own recorded midi files, Favorite Latin, Standards, Polkas, Work in progress files, Styles from Korg, Roland, Kentron, PSR3000, Additional TYROS styles, Dedicated song styles. You can imagine the complexity of a system to keep track and get at anything quickly.
I would like to discuss HOW YOU DO IT . I am always interested in finding something better. I have many years of experience with MacIntosh Computers and managing a Computer Intergrated Manufacturing system. I am used to building a hierarchial system. If there is any interest I will post my system in a later message.
Ben corsetti
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 08:25:18 AM »

Hey Ben,

I am interested in your system as I have a great number of files of differing types as well.

I have set my Tyros hard drive up the same as the internal memory of the Tyros. By Types with sub-categories in each type. Styles, Voices, Registrations, Songs, etc.

I use the Song Buttons to memorize the Path to my most used directories - this doesn't have to be songs incidentally. Check out Page 72 in the manual.

Regards,
Bill

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
Craig Schiller
Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 06:48:54 PM »

Ben -

My hard drive is divided into 4 partitions.

1 = styles
2 = miscellaneous stuff: registrations and pads, mostly
3 = currently unused
4 = songs

I have the styles configured in two types of folders: one type separates them by conversion source (e.g. Ketron, Roland, etc.). The other type separates them by genre: Latin, country, rock, etc.

The songs are all categorized in separate folders according to genre: big band, rock, latin, ballroom, jazz, ballads, etc.

There's some overlap and I admit I can't always find everything (a "Find" feature sure would be a nice addition to the Tyros OS), but for the most part, it works for me.

Regards,
Craig

Quote from: BIG_BEN
Hi again,
I am Ben corsetti, proud owner of a TYROS with a 20 GIG Toshiba Hard Drive Installed. I have found one of the most difficult things about the system is the organization and naming of the file folders for ease of finding things.
I have over a thousand regular MIDI files, Over a thousand Midi Karaoke files, My own recorded midi files, Favorite Latin, Standards, Polkas, Work in progress files, Styles from Korg, Roland, Kentron, PSR3000, Additional TYROS styles, Dedicated song styles. You can imagine the complexity of a system to keep track and get at anything quickly.
I would like to discuss HOW YOU DO IT . I am always interested in finding something better. I have many years of experience with MacIntosh Computers and managing a Computer Intergrated Manufacturing system. I am used to building a hierarchial system. If there is any interest I will post my system in a later message.
Ben corsetti
BIG_BEN
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 08:14:47 AM »

I appreciate the responces so far.
Bill,
I also use the Song and user styles buttons to take me to various folders. One of my biggest problems is looking for a style when i'm on "song" mode and vica versa. About the only way to solve this is with the preset path buttons. style for styles and songs for songs. TYROS could use a master - SONG / STYLE for hard drive button. That way you could be in a folder and go back and forth between style display and song display. I would be nice to piace both in the same folder - waltz styles and songs together.
Craig,
By partitions do you mean folders??did you use an external utility to actually partition your drive and will the tyros OS relate to partitions?? I have to break down the songs further on my system. First I have to get my USB port fixed. It died about two months ago. I have sent an e-mail to yamaha a few days ago. Actually Floppy drive is almost as fast to use.
regards
Ben
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 10:11:22 AM »

Ben,

This info may or may not be of interest to you, but you can store Styles, Songs and Voices all in the same directory of your hard drive. The only problem is that the Tyros can only see one type of file at a time depending upon which type you select.

There is one other thing of interest in that you can also store direct look up for styles the same as for songs. Notice when you are in the Style Screen that you have a memory selection Key 'E' same as song. Try it you'll like it.

I also have my Voices Directory on the hard drive set to the Voices "User" Button.

This function gives you fast access to these directories.

Regards,

Bill

Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 11:04:34 AM »

SAVING FOLDER NAMES Tyros & PSR3000
Having become a recent new owner of a PSR3000. I find the following useful.

There is a small problem with folders on the Tyros & PSR3000. There are 3 options when loading any files. Registrations...Styles...Songs...Voices   When selecting any of these options all the folders show on the screen regardless what files they contain and can become confusing trying to find the files you require.
The answer lies in naming Folders with 3 letters which relate to the type of files each Folder holds,as follows.

Registration Folders with a prefix  RGT Name.
Style Folders with prefix  STY Name.
Song Folders with a prefix  MID Name.
Voice Folder with a prefix  VCE Name

Graham UK.

T2 + NP30
Craig Schiller
Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 01:17:16 PM »

No, I mean real partitions. I bought the hard drive from Vince Cochran, who supplies all of his drives already formatted into 4 partitions, Very handy, IMO.

Craig

I appreciate the responces so far.

Craig,
By partitions do you mean folders??did you use an external utility to actually partition your drive and will the tyros OS relate to partitions?? I have to break down the songs further on my system. First I have to get my USB port fixed. It died about two months ago. I have sent an e-mail to yamaha a few days ago. Actually Floppy drive is almost as fast to use.
regards
Ben
BIG_BEN
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 07:12:01 PM »

Craig,
WOW - I wish i had tried that before i installed the drive and saved the better part of 2 gig in files to it. I'm still tempted to pull it and set it up differently.
What does your screen look like at the root leved of HD??
4 Volume names?? and is it any different acting than having multilpe folders at root level??
I have determined that you can mix styles and songes in one folder, now i have to get a fast way of switching. then do a major redo job on the entire layout based on song and style types.
Thanks Ben
Craig Schiller
Supporter

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 11:37:52 AM »

Ben -

At the top-most level, I see, in order:
Preset
User
FD
HD1
HD2
HD3
HD4

Under each of the HD# is a variety of folders as I've described. I can't think offhand off any way it's different-acting. It's just a little nearter, I think, organization-wise.

Craig

Craig,
WOW - I wish i had tried that before i installed the drive and saved the better part of 2 gig in files to it. I'm still tempted to pull it and set it up differently.
What does your screen look like at the root leved of HD??
4 Volume names?? and is it any different acting than having multilpe folders at root level??
I have determined that you can mix styles and songes in one folder, now i have to get a fast way of switching. then do a major redo job on the entire layout based on song and style types.
Thanks Ben
BIG_BEN
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 03:43:33 PM »

Craig, So you move back and forth in the 4 volumns with the back next buttons. I will have to think if there is any advantage to that over one level of folders.
Thanks for the information
By the Way - download and listen to ALAN P (new member ) midi files, he is another good musician  
I have started to rethink and recompile the folder heirarchey again. Let you know when i have something good.

Ben Corsetti
Craig Schiller
Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 04:09:24 PM »

Good luck in your efforts, Ben. Let us know how you make out.

Craig
Neil Jenkinson
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 05:00:40 PM »

Having the same problem of arranging folders on a HDD. I have at last managed to get my laptop communicating reliably with my Tyros tonight by installing the latest USB driver available from www.yamahasynth.com. (goto downloads then driver utility and select gebneric usb driver, and then unzip onto PC) this has allowed me to drag and drop files from out of windows explorer to the file utility software provided by yamaha. I used it to transfer a number of items from my recently aquired PSR tutorial CD & create, organise and manage folders.

However I understand (although not attempted yet) that with version 1.20 of the Tyros operating system if you hold the music finder button whilst switching on the Tyros you can access the HDD from explorer directly. However, you must remeber to disconnect the link safely by clicking on the 'disconnect hardware safely' icon in the righthand corner of your PC screen. I will try this in due course and let you know how I get on. Check it out at the yamahapkclub site.

This of course does not solve the issue of the number of buttons you need to press to access the files via the Tyros when you need tham, but does help with the file management issue. Which I thnk we're stuck with unless you now otherwise?
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 11:31:15 AM »

Neil,

Don't forget - the HDD function will not work with Win98.

Regards,

Bill

jkwhyd
Charter Member
Assoc Member

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 10:26:59 AM »

I just installed a 40 gig hard dirve on my T2 last weekend and I am beginning to have fun with it. Can anyone tell me how to partition the HD in my T2?

Also, since the last postings, does anyone have any suggestion in how to organize the HD. Although there are plenty of room for songs, styles and regits, without an organization it would be plenty hard to find the material you need.

Any help to this regard will be appreciated.

Joel
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Tyros Keyboards  |  Tyros 1 (Moderator: MBedesem)  |  Topic: TYROS Hard Drive Folder Organization « previous next »
Jump to: