PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
143,167 Posts in 20,149 Topics by 4,467 Members
Latest Member: Tektor
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  PSR-xxxx Keyboards  |  PSR-3000/1500 (Moderator: travlin-easy)  |  Topic: LCD Screen replacement 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LCD Screen replacement  (Read 6421 times)
bjwhite3114
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

I am in the middle of attempting to repair the lcd screen on my PSR-3000. The right quarter of the screen became jumbled a couple of months ago and then the next quarter scrambled about a month ago. I've been using an external display in the meantime. Since I just finished a huge gig, I thought it'd be a good opportunity to try the repair.
I managed to do a teardown in about an hour, labeling all connections with masking tape and letters as well as taking photos along the way (I will try to attach them to this post.)
Once I got the LCD out, I took photos of it and sent those pictures to the ebay vendor in China showing a MC57T02E for sale. The connector does look different in the ebay posting, but I figured I'd contact them to get advice. The good news is that they sent photos to me of the actual product they ship, and it looks like a perfect match. I was able to negotiate $185, including shipping. I will attach their photos to this message, too.
I'm hoping to receive the replacement in the next week or so, and then I will post an update here about the repair. A $185 repair sure is much better than the $600-800 that I read Yamaha wants to repair it.

My plan is to repair the keyboard then sell it. Between my last gig and the selling price, I should be able to move to a PSR-S910. Hopefully the LCDs in the S910 are different and no longer faulty.
bjwhite3114
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »

Screen is almost here.   Really fast shipping all the way from China!   Because of the holiday weekend, I probably won't be able to get it until Tuesday.   Oh well!
travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:06:42 PM »

I have complete confidence in you BJ and anticipate that you will not encounter any problems making the repair.

Gary Cool

Love Those Yammies...
bjwhite3114
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:47:03 PM »

My PSR-3000 is back operational with a fully-functioning LCD.   The one that came was a perfect match as the photo above suggested it would be!   It took about an hour to carefully put it all back together, re-attaching all of the connectors that I had labelled.  I was also thankful that I had taken photos along the way, so I could triple-check that everything was correct before adding the next layer of circuitry.

Here's the website where I contacted the sellers and confirmed their part.

http://www.yj-lcd.com.cn/

I paid $185, including shipping (REALLY fast I might add!)

If you're reasonably comfortable with an organized tear-down and reassembly, this is a project that shouldn't give you too much trouble.
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

Thanks for the final report of your successful outcome.  Cool

Not a bad price for the LCD either, with the bonus of fast shipping.

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
bjwhite3114
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »

I couldn't find any site or posts where folks had done the repair themselves.   Hopefully this thread will give adventurous "technicians" the boost they need to make the repair themselves.
travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:50:10 PM »

Great information BJ, something that everyone can benefit from reading.

Thanks,

Gary Cool

Love Those Yammies...
LaHawk
Assoc Member

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

Good Job BJ...not sure I'd would try what you just accomplished...but your success is inspiring.  Cheesy

artkarl

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »

my psr 3K lcd is broken with verticals lines that you cant see the entire screen and external monitor will help.  I was half disappointed with the trouble until such time during live performance the kybd starts to turn off and on  I thought the main power outlet is the problem but all the equipments are working fine and I change to another adapter and found the same problem powering off and on.  Now the problem is not only the LCD but the power of the board.  I decided to bring to Yamaha service centre for estimate.   Here's the reply from Yamaha:

Estimate for repair of this unit is outlined below. Just to let you know, the part is not currently available in our warehouse so, from time that the part is ordered, it will take approximately 3-6 weeks to arrive. Once the part arrives, the technician will repair the unit.

Part      =    $282.78
Labour    =    $ 70.00
Subtotal  =    $352.78
Tax       =    $ 45.86
TOTAL     =    $398.64

Please give us confirmation of your intentions as soon as possible if you wish to go ahead with this repair.

Thank you for choosing Yamaha!
LaHawk
Assoc Member

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »

Exactly what part are they going to replace?

It sounds like it involves parts(plural) since it's both a LCD and a 'power' problem

A few years ago, the LCD went out on my 3000, and then later the unit would not power on.
Turned out  a motherboard replacement corrected both.  Perhaps that is the 'part' they are referring to.

In any case, that's a tough decision ...$400 repair for a 7 year old board, but if it's a new motherboard, then it's almost like getting a new keyboard.
or
Use the money for a S910 payment

IMO, if you have enough to purchase the S910, that would be the way to go. If you can't afford the S910, then repair the 3000

Good Luck and Keep us posted on your decision.

artkarl

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »

i guess the board must be changed perhaps i would go for the repair coz i have no choice and i really really need the kybd for my gig every weekend and im totally satisfied with psr3K. If something will come out during this year hopefully by next month August 2011 which is a better kybd then I would consider selling my 3K but as I can see S910 is not that much difference that's why Yamaha will be showing the next generation kbyd that will replace S910.  I really dont know what was the coz of these problems LCD and power supply turning on and off.
edtek
Supporter
Assoc Member

El Paso TX

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »

I bought an LCD from YJ ($160+$35 shipping) and replaced the old one that had 3/4 of the screen not working.  The new one has 1/4 of the screen not working.  I will probably just live with it.  I don't want to go through the very complicated and frustrating experience of replacing it again.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  PSR-xxxx Keyboards  |  PSR-3000/1500 (Moderator: travlin-easy)  |  Topic: LCD Screen replacement « previous next »
Jump to: