PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 04:21:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
To see all categories, you must be logged in. Guests see only boards in two categories.
190,218 Posts in 25,086 Topics by 4,407 Members
Latest Member: davigm
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Yamaha Keyboards  |  The Next Yamaha Keyboard (Moderator: mikf)  |  Topic: PSR S920? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 » Go Down Print
Author Topic: PSR S920?  (Read 43434 times)
Gotwald
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:25:36 AM »

Hello
I'new here, and I want to buy an arranger keyboard, probably Yamaha (Now, I have an old Roland).
I would like to know what you do think about the possibility of a new S920 or S950 or .... in next months.
Knowing past history and times in launching of the old yamahas (tyros and PSR S...), can we think about when a new PSR S series will arrive in stores. and whith what new features?
Thanks a lot
G.
Keyboardister

PSS-680,EL-90,PSR-420,PSR-730,PSR-S910,Tyros 5

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:20:44 AM »

Yamaha has just released its flagship keyboard, the Tyros-4, so I believe it will take a while before they release a new keyboard.
Considering the fact that there werent Huge differences between the Tyros-3 and Tyros-4 and the PSR-S900 and the S910,
I don't know if there's a need to wait. I personally bought my S-910 this week and I'm extremely happy, there will always be
new models, even if you wait.
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:00:11 AM »

Most new arranger keyboards are released in the last quarter of the year.

You will usually start to see rumors and even teasers from Yamaha around August.

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
karmacomposer

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:16:53 PM »

No way to know until Yamaha starts talking about it.

I am sure new sounds and tech from the T4 will in some way be included in the 920 when it comes out - assuming it is called the 920.

Mike

Yamaha PSR s910, Korg Karma, CME UF8, Axiom 61, Presonus Studio Pro, Samplitude 10 Pro, many vsti, EWQLSO, EWQLSC and KHSO Diamond. 8 networked dual/quad/octo core PCs & 1 Mac Mini. Eigenharp Pico.  www.hardcoreharmonics.com - www.supersynths.com
EileenL
Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 S950.
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »

I have to dissagree.There is a conciderable difference between Tyros 3 and Tyros 4.Ask most people that have changed up
   Eileen

RF

Keyboards: Tyros 2 and soon? PA 500 Musikant

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »

Hello
I'new here, and I want to buy an arranger keyboard, probably Yamaha (Now, I have an old Roland).
When you want Yamaha features and keep Roland advantages, I would suggest a Tyros 3 or PSR S910 and a Roland JM-8 (without keys, but the good Roland sound and much better)

Kind regards
Ronny F
icanpiano
Assoc Member

Ophir Atar

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:10:50 AM »

s series and T series are 2 different things.

The s910 is great but the T4 sounds better so... don't wait. get what you can today.
I am not sure there will be a 920 and even if so it will still be mid range and not hi-end keyboard.

Ophir

www.iCanPiano.net -- Magical piano notes.
Improve your reading on the spot!!!
Gotwald
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:25:02 AM »

When you want Yamaha features and keep Roland advantages, I would suggest a Tyros 3 or PSR S910 and a Roland JM-8 (without keys, but the good Roland sound and much better)

I loved Roland sounds (ex. beautiful piano), Roland keybed (better than PSR), and more specially Roland styles.
But Roland seems to be out of arrangers market now.
Your suggestion about JM-8 is nice, but...  too much more money. And about sounds, it seems to me S910 has beutiful sounds too as Roland has. 
karmacomposer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »

I just cannot agree about them sounding different.

I tried out a Tyros 3 a while ago and it sounded very similar to the mid range keyboard that Sam Ash had at the time (this was a few years ago) - I think it was a s900.

They were so close in sound, it was hard to tell the difference.  With the exception of another layer of sound (R1,2,3), what else makes a T series better.  Is there actually a totally different sound engine on the T series than on the similar looking, similar functioning and similar sounding S series?

Mike

Yamaha PSR s910, Korg Karma, CME UF8, Axiom 61, Presonus Studio Pro, Samplitude 10 Pro, many vsti, EWQLSO, EWQLSC and KHSO Diamond. 8 networked dual/quad/octo core PCs & 1 Mac Mini. Eigenharp Pico.  www.hardcoreharmonics.com - www.supersynths.com
EileenL
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »

The Tyros 4
   Has a much bigger processor in it.Better VH and now Synth Vocada.Multi track and easy record on Audio Beautiful Choir voices as well as scats.The ability to add band new  sampled sounds Great styles and the sound has to be heard.
   Eileen

karmacomposer

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »

Eileen,

I was referring to the T3, not the T4.  I know the T4 had a lot of new samples and stuff.

I went and bought the Roland VP-7 and WOW.  All I can say is WOW.  I also attached my s910 to my 88 key CME UF8 with weighted keys and aftertouch and MAN, DOES IT WORK!!!  You have to realize that the keyboards are made to work with 88 keys even though they are 61 key.

I LOVE how they work together.  I attached the MIDI out of the S910 to my Korg Oasys computer.  The layering potential is incredible.  The MIDI out of the CME UF8 goes to the S910 and the MIDI through of the CME UF8 goes to the VP-7.  Now, I can play solos on the S910 while playing all of my bass and piano parts on the CME and the VP-7 works well with all of it.  It has SWEET choirs (women, children and gregorian), scat singing pretty much identical to the T4s and the harmonization is the best I have ever heard.  The vocoder kicks total butt.  The last harmonization, though, is what totally sold me.  Trio 2 has the cool feature of being your own choir.  Ramp up the harmony all the way, the wet mix all the way up and add a liberal dose of ambience and sing your heart out - you now sound like a large-scale choir!  Incredible - and it cost me LESS than $500 USD.  That I can afford.

Mike

Ed B
Global Moderator

PSr S900, Finale 2011, Toronto Canada

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »

Hi Mike
Sounds interesting love to hear some of your new arrangements when you have time
Regards
Ed B

Keep on learning
karmacomposer

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »

You will probably get your wish, since this new setup configuration REALLY makes we want to play and sing.

Mike

oracle

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »

Hi
I'm new to the accompaniment keyboard market. After weeks long research I finally narrowed it down to the S910.

However, I've read few speculations that the next replacement model for the S910 is due this year.
Some say that the next model should be in Febuary but others are saying that Yamaha always introduces their newer models on fourth quarter or every two years of cycle. The official Yamaha website indicates that the S910 was introduced on Sept 2009.

I'm not in hurry to buy one but it'd be nice to have one to play around soon. Should I wait at least untill March to see what happen?

Thanks
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 04:31:58 AM »

Oracle,
That's correct Yamaha released the S910 back in 2009 and its about a 2 year turn around; so we should start to see
rumors around springtime of a little after for the next one.
Perhaps they will call it the S920 and S950 like the 2 before and it will be like having a baby Tyros 4 with some of the features with half the price.
If you don't go with a tyros 4 then it might be advantages to wait just a little longer unless you just cant stand it (Kid in the Candy Shop scenario)
and go for a S910 or if $$$ available; a Tyros 4 of course.

Regards
Craig Keyboardist

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
oracle

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »

Craig Keyboardist,
I certainly do feel like a kid in the candy store. But also a bit grown up who had the memory of having to spend money on a candy instead of a hotdog.
I don't mind having to wait for few more months (endless game for sure) but I'd like to get one now if the new model is not due until the fourth quarter.
I have a feeling that the newer model will have a wishlist feature such as aftertouch.
However, I can't afford to wait until the summer.
Does Yamaha have a history of unveiling the newer model on early year without the formal introduction at NAMM? Interestingly I've been reading rumors dating back mid last year.
By the way, the Tyro 4 would solve my delimma but it's out of my league for now.

Thanks.
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 09:38:41 AM »

Oracle,
I guess there is no absolute certainty about the midrange S920-S950 or (what they will call it) being released around this spring.
Well have to wait for that and hope for the best.
In the mean time I guess we will have to either use what we have now or say "What the Heck TYROS 4" Ill get one.
If the Tyros 4 is out of your ballpark; then the S910 is still a very good choice.
I know the feeling of settling growing up but that candy still must have tasted good LOL
The next release should have some really nice features and some Tyros 4 stuff also.
If you wait and they release it,you will be happy;If you don't wait and buy a S910 now you will be happy now but kick yourself later when they do release them.
OH what the heck lets just buy a "TYROS 4"  and get it over with; LOL

Regards
Craig -Keyboardist 

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »

Well yes of course the T4, but you know Yamaha will put things on the 920 not found on the T4,
such as things like the updated MFD abilities not found on the T3.  Wink

Yamaha I'm suggestng you get your head out of that place where the sun don't shine and upgrade the T3.  Shocked

Bill G

Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 12:56:09 PM »

It might be advantages to wait and see what they put out if we can.
They just might make some usable upgrades that we like in a midrange keyboard.
Perhaps a bit of Tyros 4 plus some extras.
Every new keyboard has something that the previous one doesn't and it seems they get better each time.

Keyboardist
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:44:29 PM by Keyboardist » Logged

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
oracle

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 05:28:34 PM »

Keyboardist,
That candy happened to be the top of the line Oasys from Korg. Korg marketed it as an open architech OS equipped workstation.
Instead it missed critical updates such as the piano roll sequencer and the acoustic sounds. And with the depreciation costing more than a brand new Tyros, I'am casting my net for another catch.
When I tried PSR-s910, I was blown away by the realistic sounds of the elec.piano, brass and strings. The only grip that I know of is that it doesn't have the aftertouch and the sampling ability. However, I've been reading rumors such as flippable screen and the internal hard drive. But then again, I don't mind settling with the semi-Tyros at a half price. To some degree, the proverb does come true; the last will the be the first.
Regardless, my family will appreciate PSR-s910 much more than the Oasys.

Thanks
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »

Oracle,
Sorry the Oasys didn't live up to the expectations.An expensive proposition
I like Korg USA,but now I kind of like what yamaha is doing with their boards
The PSR and Tyros are user friendly and the Motiff is also a great production board.
If you wind up getting the s910; you and your family will all enjoy it.
If you can wait perhaps the next one will come out,if you cant the s910 will bring many happy sessions and creativity.

Craig Keyboardist

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 05:00:08 AM »

Still havent heard anything from Yamaha about any new mid range boards
No rumors or anything, nothing.
Keyboardist

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
EileenL
PSR Performer

Essex UK

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »

There are rhumours that there won't be one this year

Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 04:26:16 AM »

Guess I thought that yamaha would release the next board to the S910 by now or have at least some rumors.
I think the s910 was released in 2009 and was curious as what they are going to do with the next upper mid range board line up.
Perhaps a baby Tyros 4 with some added new features ?

Keyboardist
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:35:13 AM by Keyboardist » Logged

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
karmacomposer

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »

I think they are waiting to see if the world ends in 2012 first before spending the money on R&D (lol).

Mike

Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 05:12:56 AM »

Hey Mike,
I thought "according to that mathematical religious genius" that this past Saturday we were going to see something about this world end;
GGgggggg's  hope I get at least something new before the world ends  Grin
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:08:19 AM by Keyboardist » Logged

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »

Summer Namm is almost upon us and question will be, is Yamaha going to introduce the next S910 S710 mid board replacements
Will all know once this happens

Keyboardist
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:09:02 PM by Keyboardist » Logged

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
Superdog
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 03:49:06 PM »

The s920 will be announced on July 21 at NAMM.  It will ship in September and it will have some T4 voices.  Still no after touch, sampling, or voice expansion.  It will be a fairly minor update and pricing will be about the same.  Best part is Michel Voncken will star in another terrific demo!!

All this predicted by Carnac the Magnificent.
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »

Curious about the S950 if that's what they will call it. Mention its the S750 and big brother
S950.Will just have to wait and see what they can do and what they are called
Glad Michel Voncken will do the demos.

Craig "Keyboardist"

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:05:53 PM by Keyboardist » Logged

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
Gotwald
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »

The s920 will be announced on July 21 at NAMM.  It will ship in September and it will have some T4 voices.  Still no after touch, sampling, or voice expansion.  It will be a fairly minor update and pricing will be about the same

My question is: if it is a minor update, why Yamaha cannot do an update (at no cost, or minor cost) of the S910 by software? If so, it will do happy to the ones that bought the s910.  Why a new keyboard similar to the previous one, only with a few more voices or styles?  Is a meaningless thing. In other manufacturers, a minor update become a new O.S. , not a new keyboard!.
I hope Yamaha will do a major update, not a S910 v.2  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:18:48 PM by Gotwald » Logged
DrakeM

PSR-S950

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »

Is this new 920/950 model going to have the new Vocal Harmonizer (VH2) in it??

flyinga40
Novice Poster

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »

I have used the 910 and it is great.For someone like myself that uses it for backup w/bass pedals midied in while i sing and play guitar,it sound really good,i have been using and old psr740 till recently and it also does a good job ,just doesn't have enough user files.I just bought a new Roland arranger BK-7M,422+ styles,usb ,video etc.Rael happy with it as well.I run all this through my Stage Pass 500,great PA set up..Well thats my 2 cents worth today..Cheers...Carl
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »

Summer Namm is almost upon us and there is rumors that Yamaha will show us the next upper midrange arrangers as the s710-S910 replacements.
Like they have been doing in the past they give you a few (Voices styles) from the top of the line board in this case the Tyros4 to try out.
I heard that there will be 2 colors silver or black, S750 -S950 as the big brother (Rumors though) and will have enhanced new features.
A black s950 would be cool this time hopfully with VH2 in it.
Question should be??? should you wait or just buy a S910 now and play it now !
Even after they present it to us, it wont be out for purchase right away and most will still have to wait for release after summer.
If it intrigues you to see the next offering it might be advantages to wait and see what Yamaha does with this new board.
I'm curious and while it will never be a Tyros 4, it might have many useful features and sounds as the next midrange board.

Craig "Keyboardist"   

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
RONBO
PSR Performer
Assoc Member

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »

Grin i I  purchased a 910 last December to replace a mortified 2100. the 2100 lasted about 6 years or so an i must say i got my use out of it. the 910 is great, but here's my question: Why doesn't Yamaha offer a suitable update to the operating systems of current keyboards for a nominal fee (say, 50 to 100 dollars as an example) to bring your keyboard up a notch instead of having to ponder another board altogether?   

just a thought.

regards

Ron

Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 11:22:28 AM »

Yamaha has never done that with the arranger - only done with the Motif line.  Cry

Now why would they as long as we are willing to spend the extra for a newer model?

It likely cost less than $50 bucks to manufacture one of these keyboards, but the development cost is another matter.

Bill G

J. Larry
Supporter

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 09:20:24 PM »

If there's to be a successor to the S910, it's probably already developed.  So, whatever we want in a new board is most likely moot.  However, I hope Yamaha will keep it smaller and lighter than the Tyros 4 and keep the built-in speaker system----but improved!  Other than that, I don't care about the color or other features.  I assume that whatever they do, it will be an improvement of sorts and not a step backwards.  I'll definately upgrade like I do each time.  They've got the hook squarely set in me, especially since Technics went out of business.  Meanwhile, I'm content with the S910.  But, it would be refreshing to have some of the newer styles and voices, such as on the T4.
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 04:18:28 AM »

Its always refreshing to see a new keyboard come out and find whats its all about.
For many who do not go all out and get a tyros 4 it is a good compromise as it gives you some features to fool around with.
It would be nice to have sampling and VH2 but I guess that's why there is the next upper model.
If they gave you so many features as in the tyros4 then why would people buy a Tyros 4.
If the absolute top of the arranger line is only for you than Tyros would be the solution otherwise a S950 or whatever they will call it should be ample to satisfy the
creative need in the home front.
I like that they might give a choice of black or silver as we have been seeing only silver for a good many years and its refreshing to see a black S950 come out or choice
to get either.
Keeping on board speakers on the mid range is still a good idea,I wish they would give the internal option to shut them off though when using monitors only.
They also add something different in the next model that even the Tyros might not have that may be beneficial
If $$$ seems to be no object then Tyros 4 is great,but if you like to upgrade from time to time spending half that amount for a good sounding keyboard should satisfy
a good many.Having cake and eat it too kind a thing.
Summer Namm show will reveal the next line up and we will all see if interested in the next mid arranger boards.
Its Fun regardless Cheesy

Craig "Keyboardist"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:26:55 AM by Keyboardist » Logged

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
andygill11
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 12:55:11 PM »

Hello everyone
Today i contacted the Yamaha Customer Support And they confirmed that a new successor to the PSR S910 will be showcased during Summer NAMM 2011 on 21 And 22 July.
So let's Hope for the Best show out there. Smiley
icanpiano
Assoc Member

Ophir Atar

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 03:56:39 AM »

Musical instruments like workstations don't have program faults.
They are very reliable and like that for 20 years.

Don't be afraid to buy a new one as it goes out.

Ophir

www.iCanPiano.net -- Magical piano notes.
Improve your reading on the spot!!!
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »

I would like to assume that Yamaha has gotten better with quality control and certain models require an update now and then
Some of the newer keyboards "buttons" feel cheaper or cheaper made on some models
then a few years back.
I will be looking forward to the next mid range line up that is soon to come out after the summer namm show
I'm curious to see what they will do to improve the S910 as a replacement in the midrange line up.

Keyboardist 

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
Pages: 1 2 3 » Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Yamaha Keyboards  |  The Next Yamaha Keyboard (Moderator: mikf)  |  Topic: PSR S920? « previous next »
Jump to: