PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2015, 09:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
144,082 Posts in 20,301 Topics by 4,613 Members
Latest Member: punti
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Essential Extras  |  Sheet Music, Fake Books, etc (Moderators: travlin-easy, Matrix)  |  Topic: Help with .sty files 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help with .sty files  (Read 3013 times)
dada
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »

Hello.
I am new around this forum and I have been read some topics but I am still stuck.

I will try to be the most clear as possible with this question.

I do not have a Yamaha keyboard. What I have is this:

WAVDJ-VM- 108

This machine,  (as I like to call) have some (.sty) files in the MIDI part.
I try to upload some different (.sty files) into the program but he dont recognize the new files I upload.

In this (machine + software program) the .sty files are very limited and I am looking to find some different sounds to upload in the machine (software)

For example, this is the only styles I have in the program:
ALTERNATIVE.sty
ROCK.sty
RAGTIME.sty
JAZZBLUES.sty
COUNTRY.sty
MARCH_POLKA.sty
RAP_HIPHOP.sty
TECHNO_DANCE.sty
FUNK.sty
POP.sty
REGGAE.sty
WORLD_NEWAGE.sty

The only way I have to change this (.sty files) is to change the patterns or sounds direct in the software program or replace the .sty files with the same name exactly to get different styles.
I try, but didnt work Sad

Looks like the (.sty files) for this program are different !?

My main issue with this, is because I can not change the default sounds , unless I change the (.sty files) .
The sounds I have in the program can be changed (the patterns) but the (Sound) is always the same.
Exp:
The drums will have always the same kick sound. I can change the patter but the sound remain the same.
The only thing I can change is the volume of the instrument.
For this reason, I am looking for (.sty files) compatible with this program.
Did I explain well ?

If it looks complicated you can have a complete inside by go into my blog and read about the things am doing with this (machine)
There you can see (the machine and the software and how they work).
I attach a (.sty file) from the program, for you to have a look.

Sorry if Im not in the right place to request this (.sty) files but you guys are my last hope.
Thanks in advance
travlin-easy

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:37:30 PM »

Unfortunately, the style format of the style you uploaded seems to be quite different than the standard .sty style format used in most Yamaha arranger keyboards. I could not get it to load into the PSR-3000 at all. Michael Bedesem may be able to assist you in determining the format used, and possibly some method of conversion to you could utilize the styles available on this site.

Good Luck,

Gary  Cool

Love Those Yammies...
dada
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »

Hi Gary.
Thanks for try.
I know this one wouldn't be a ease one Sad

Lets hope for the best Wink
Jørgen

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:57:33 PM »

Hi

It is NOT a Yamaha keyboard style file, which basically is a MIDI Format 0 (one track)

There are some MIDI structures: It looks like many multi track MIDI files (Many file headers "MThd" all having many track headers "MTrk")

It will be very hard and tedious to figure out how this works. And without the instrument probably impossible.

Regards
Jørgen

The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »

The only notes in this style file are drum notes on track 10.
The other 15 tracks have just voice assignments, which are likely already inside the module this file is made to play on.

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
dada
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »

Hi.
Yes it is MIDI files PLUS Drums.
Here is the image of the software that make all that work:

Is the MIDI files (.sty) and the the drums board where all the changes happen.
Each instrument channel can be changed and the drum patterns can be changed too but the sound will remain the same Sad

I can change all the WAV files by uploading different sounds but I always have to keep the same names and that works.
Exp:
*Transport wav sound
I upload a different sound and replace this one but I have to use the same name
*Transport wav sound
It works because the program see the name as the same.

Is there a way to make this happen with the .sty files too ?
Thanks
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »

Sorry, but I do not believe you can use the PSR styles on that machine because it uses primarily wave files and styles use only MIDI code.

Bill G

psrguy
Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:33:02 AM »

DaDa,

Very interesting machine and software.

Who makes that machine ? and where is the instruction manual for that machine because that should tell you how to work the machine ?

Looking at the screen shot of the software it appears to me that you can create and save a new style  although i don't know if it is saving it to the machine or saving it to a computer.

Can you play the "midi" file using a computer midi player?

Clever Illustrations of Everyday Sayings

http://imgur.com/gallery/x3rSK
dada
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »

Hello.
A light of hope !!?? Smiley
Thanks for your answer.

If you go into my blog, you can read everything about this machine.

I try to get different sounds into the machine but the .sty files are a stone on my shoe.

You can read about the software and see all the software images in here:
http://wavdj.blogspot.com/2009/12/chapter-11-software.html

This machine is made by Oregon scientific and is now discontinued.
Everything can be change and adapted as I want or how far I want to go but when come to .sty files , I am stuck !

The style is save into the software as any of the sounds.
I really dont want to bring my blog into the forum but everything is explain in there and believe me , is not easy to explain but...

The manual can be download in here:

http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/OREGON%20SCIENTIFIC/WAV%20DJ

I download it myself to try (no problem)

It sounds to me that this is very complicated to get the .sty files for the machine.
They are unique to this korg but its all a matter of try things around.
Exp: The wav files can be changed but the names have to be exactly the same names of the original wav files and put exactly in the same place in the software or they will not play Wink

I believe the same happen with the .sty files .
I try to do exactly the same but didn't work Sad

I upload one .sty file before (rock.sty) in one of my first post here.
You can open the file and see how the thing is working.

My main interest is to change the drums (sound) .sty file.
Can you play the "midi" file using a computer midi player?
Someone try before and didn't work !

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:37:55 PM by dada » Logged
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:38:52 PM »

I must be getting really slow, but darned if I can figure how to download the manual by way of your link.  Huh

Sorry.

Bill G

dada
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »

hI

1- Go to
http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/OREGON%20SCIENTIFIC/WAV%20DJ

2- look on the side, it say:
User manual OREGON SCIENTIFIC WAV DJ (in big lettering)

Click:
Download the complete
user guide (10658 Ko)

3- you will be take to this page

4- http://safemanuals.com/314159.php?k=88897f46eaafc64205562ffc5fec3884&ID=70123&q=OREGON%20SCIENTIFIC%20WAV%20DJ

4- After you answer this questions (at the end) you have the button to download the pdf file

Hope this help

Wink

Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »

Well yeah - no need to go to the first link - just answer the 4 by clicking on one of the starts for each of the 4 questions.

Okay - give me a moment to check the manual.

Bill G

Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »

Okay - sorry to say you can not use any styles not made on your machine.

When you make a style on this machine you are just selecting the voices you want to play, the machine provides the notes and chord.
You can edit those notes and chords, but you can't import them from as those changes are only stored within the machine.

When you save a style, the record only saves the name of the voices and the drum track.
Looked promising for using outside styles, but there is no facility for that.

Sorry.

Bill G

psrguy
Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »

Bill is correct DaDa.

Reading the manual this is the way i understand what your machine can do and i am sure you know it better then i do:

It's an extremely interesting concept in that machine you bought and as the manual says  the basic functions let you play the role of a radio DJ.
As you already know you can in  real time mix a variety of sound sources ( meaning audio )  such as a CD, General MIDI instruments generated
by the PC sound card, wav sound effects and your own voice. You can record all this as a high quality wav file.

As the name of the instrument implies it is " WAV DJ " work station and recorder to allow you to blend audio from a CD, a MIDI PC sound card, internal "wav" sound effects and also from a microphone and also produce a CD.

Incredible: wish i had that machine to play around with.

Unfortunately, their use of the word " .sty files  " is some what misleading because the " .sty "  files created for and by a Yamaha PSR instrument has a different internal protocol and therefore not interchangeable between your instrument and yamaha PSR instrument.

Have fun with you machine.

Walter

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:50:40 PM by psrguy » Logged

dada
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:38:50 AM »

Hello.
Thank you so much, all of you for the quick answers and searches.

Bill
sorry to say you can not use any styles not made on your machine.
I think I lost my hope now !  Undecided

Psrguy
You just hit the nail in the head !!

( meaning audio )  such as a CD, General MIDI instruments generated by the PC sound card, wav sound effects and your own voice. You can record all this as a high quality wav file.

The sound is generated by the soundcard !
Will be hard for me to make the kicks or snares drum sound different, unless the program have his own sounds EQ in the drum part of the software... but not !
The only thing available in the drum part of the software , is a volume for each individual drum sound, that's all !

EVEN, if I put a soundcard with EQ between the machine and the PC will alterer all the sounds coming from the machine not just the drums.

Incredible: wish i had that machine to play around with.
Ha ha , believe me, is good fun and become better when you realize that you can set up all the machine at your own requirements and have any sound you want in a touch of a button, without the need of a mousse or look at the computer;)

Down to the main point:
What ever I change the drum patterns, the drums always sound the same because the sound of the drums is always the same :/

I think I am clear about this .sty files now.
IF , some of you one day come across to something like this .sty files from this machine please let me know.
Machine was discontinued and no more updates have been made Sad

Thanks all for your time.
Regards
psrguy
Supporter

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 04:37:07 AM »

The sound is generated by the soundcard !
Will be hard for me to make the kicks or snares drum sound different, unless the program have his own sounds EQ in the drum part of the software... but not !
The only thing available in the drum part of the software , is a volume for each individual drum sound, that's all !

EVEN, if I put a soundcard with EQ between the machine and the PC will alterer all the sounds coming from the machine not just the drums.

I have not studied the manual with any great detail but since your machine is importing " sounds " perhaps you could connect the "audio" out put from a sound source such as an  actual electronic keyboard such as the Yamaha PSR and play the drums on the PSR and record the audio in your machine that would be a work around solution i would try.

dada
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »

That is a very good idea but will come back to the same point, wish is:
If I want drums in there, other than the original drums from the .sty files , I can recorded and upload into the software.
Sounds good ? Is not !
This will have to be upload in the FX part of the machine because the only way to make the drums patterns change is to use the software himself or upload different .sty files.

I try to make live music with this machine.

The drums (software)

Here I can change the drums patters and the MIDI sounds of the korg and save.
I can not upload any sounds in here, only change patterns or...sty files replacement.

Drums part of the machine.

All the changes I make in the software drums will be reflected in this buttons of the machine.

This is the FX part of the software.

I can upload 900 sounds into this buttons (wav files) The name of the files have to be exactly the same as the original ones, even if the sounds are different.

Every change I make on this part of the software will be reflected in this part of the machine.

I am able to have any sound I want in any one of this buttons and I can change this because they are .wav files.

I can upload a all track on each one of this FX buttons but I am using this machine to make live music and that will not be live.
I need :

1- drums
2- fx
3-korg

This is a track only with the machine: no kaossilator involved:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/me61k9

This will sound too repetitive because I am not using the kaossilator or even the korg. Its only the drum loops and the FX sound
(This track is just to show what I can do with the machine)

here you have one track constructed with the help of the kaossilator
http://www.sendspace.com/file/paomdu

On this last one, you can listen how hard it is to get the sounds all at the same tempo (synchronised) (this is fun;)
All sounds upload in the machine FX part(.wav) are at 110 bpm and the drum loops are at the same bpm too;)
I just have to be really precise when I click a button on the machine Wink

Note: kaossilator is connected with the machine and everything connects in the PC sound card Wink
Enjoy it

(pssst... listen tracks to the end to understand the construction.)
psrguy
Supporter

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 05:57:39 PM »

Is there a forum of other users ?

dada
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »

Nop.
I am alone on this one Sad DaDa)

Is the reason I end up in this forum asking help to the experts Wink
Thanks alot all of you for your time.
psrguy
Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 04:24:42 AM »

Maybe time to buy a Yamaha PSR keyboard and have fun without all the frustrations of your wav recorder/player which to me would be more trouble and frustrating then it is worth.

dada
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 08:31:53 AM »

I have a oxigen V2 with ableton , monitors, soundcard and Im a music producer.
That is not the point.

This wavdj player/ recorder, is a different project.
Why do you think I call Dada project to this ?

Thanks for the advise.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  Essential Extras  |  Sheet Music, Fake Books, etc (Moderators: travlin-easy, Matrix)  |  Topic: Help with .sty files « previous next »
Jump to: