PSR Tutorial Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 06:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
PSR Tutorial "Home" Page
143,162 Posts in 20,148 Topics by 4,467 Members
Latest Member: Tektor
* Home Help Login Register
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  PSR-Sxxx Keyboards  |  PSR-S910/S710  |  Topic: S710 vs S910? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S710 vs S910?  (Read 10894 times)
jhart
Supporter
Asst. Member

PSR-530, PSR-S910

« on: July 25, 2010, 10:46:52 AM »

I'm within a week or ten days of buying either an S910 or S710 and would like to hear from experienced owners about the advantages of the 910 over the 710 that justify the additional cost or, to put it differently, the limitations of the 710 that make the 910 a better choice. I've studied the specifications for the two instruments in the online manual and the main differences that I could identify between the 910 and 710 are these: color vs b/w; playback of wav/mp3 vs wav only; internal memory, 2.4 vs 1.4  video out vs no video out; and 36 super articulated voices vs no articulated voices. Are there other critically important differences? Which of the identified differences are most important?
All assistance and recommendations will be much appreciated, jhart

(I realize that which instrument is "best" will vary from user to user, so here is a little information about my musical interests. I've been using a vintage PSR-530 since I bought it new in 1998. To sustain the usability of the PSR-530 I rely heavily on virtual instruments, usually with a hookup using a Yamaha USB-Midi UX96 Interface to my Toshiba Satellite S505 laptop that has 4Gb ram, 2.2 Ghz duo cpu, and 400 Gb hard drive; even with this much memory I sometimes struggle with recording latency problems, especially when recording very fast multi-track pieces. I rely on Mixcraft 5 recording mixing software, Notation Composer, and Wave Pad Sound Editor, plus many vst instruments including Pianissimo and True Piano voices, and Native Instruments Kore and Kontakt instruments. I enjoy playing and composing in many styles including pop, jazz, blues, new age, classical, ambient, and trance. I don't perform in public venues but do make CDs and also put my music up on sites such as Jamendo.com under the artist name Truman.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:49:33 AM by jhart » Logged

PSR 530, PSR-S910
Kurt

PSR-S900, PSR-S500

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:45:34 AM »

You listed the figures. But what you can't put in figures are the differences in sound. If you possibly can go to a dealer and hear both keyboards side by side. Don't forget to take good headphones with you. You will hear that the S910 is not simply a S710 plus some additional voices and styles. You will hear that voices and styles that have the same name on both instruments sound different. Only you know what you need and like.

Regards,
Kurt
karmacomposer

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:42:35 PM »

This was my dilemma when I purchased my s710.  There was a s910 next to a s710 side-by-side at Sam Ash.

I already made this comparison somewhere else on this forum, but I will give you a tiny version:

The s910 has a color screen (that some have reported problems with - at my local Sam Ash they had five come in broken while I was there) that looks beautiful.  If color is important, that one is a big difference.  You can plug a microphone into the s910 and use the built in effects and harmonizer (I have heard mixed reviews on the harmony capabilities) - also, the s710 has all the same effects save the mic harmonies.  You can plug a video out (RCA) to a TV or monitor with a RCA input to use for Karaoke or as a large screen to edit with.  The s910 has more sounds and a few of the Super Articulation voices from the Tyros 3.  It also comes with more styles and multipads.

Now, the s710, to me, sounds IDENTICAL.  The sounds are AMAZING.  I had no need for a color screen and I own mics and mixers and effect boxes, etc, so I did not need to plug a mic in.  I had no need for an external monitor, and if I did, I would rather have a VGA connection (the Tyros has that) than a crappy RCA connection (IMO).  You can get the styles for the s910 and use them on the s710 with almost no discernable loss (at least to me) - maybe a few of them won't play properly because the s710 does not have some of the sounds in the s910.

To me, the s710 and the s910 are identical where it counts:

They have identical polyphony (128) - as does the Tyros.

They have identical controls, save the mic button and RCA output.

They have identical speakers that output the same wattage.

You can attain all the styles and multipads from the s910, Tyros, etc, so styles really do not matter here.

Really, where it counts for me, is that the s910 simply has more sounds.  The s910 may have a tiny bit more memory for sounds (and I mean, like a floppy drive's worth), so no biggie there.

Both have USB ports, internet, music finder, etc.  The OS is pretty much identical on both - same software.

So, really, is the extra sounds (about 200 of them), a mic input/harmonizer and a color screen with output worth an extra $750 or more?

If you are using it for Karaoke, then maybe it is, but if you are doing Karaoke, there is far better hardware and DVDs you can purchase for that.

If you are playing out and want everything compact into one unit, then the s910 maybe for you.  If you have mixers, PA's, etc, then the s710 is a less expensive option that performs on par with the s910 in almost every way - at least it does to my ears.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:46:05 PM by karmacomposer » Logged

Yamaha PSR s910, Korg Karma, CME UF8, Axiom 61, Presonus Studio Pro, Samplitude 10 Pro, many vsti, EWQLSO, EWQLSC and KHSO Diamond. 8 networked dual/quad/octo core PCs & 1 Mac Mini. Eigenharp Pico.  www.hardcoreharmonics.com - www.supersynths.com
jhart
Supporter
Asst. Member

PSR-530, PSR-S910

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »

My new PSR-S910 arrived today! Thanks very much to everyone in the PSR Tutorial who commented with recommendations about this arranger. I finally chose the S910 over the S710 because I wanted the additional voices and the vocal harmony feature. I purchased the S910 from Frank Ventresca at Audioworks at a good price--again, on the recommendation of Tutorial members. I'm now busy learning how to use the many features and I'm sure I'll be posting questions as I learn.
Thanks again, Joe

PSR 530, PSR-S910
Bill Grosse
PSR Professor

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:25:17 AM »

Joe,

Congratulations on your new S910.  Cool

Hope to see some of your playing posted when you are comfortable in posting some.  Smiley

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, Smiley
rocky007

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »

i am also confused between S710 vs S910.

S910 super articulation voices is really worth to paying extra money ?
RF

Keyboards: Tyros 2 and Korg Micro Arranger

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »

i am also confused between S710 vs S910.

S910 super articulation voices is really worth to paying extra money ?
Yes, it's more fun to play, because it does the same, as a player of the real thing would do.
Since I have articulation voices, I play more free, than before. I can play trills and it sounds real and not staccato.

Kind regards
Ronny F
rocky007

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »

okkk thanks..  Grin
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »

The S910 has about 300 more Voices than the S710... quite a difference when it comes to playing  styles and MIDI song files or creating your own custom Voices. You can play the T3 styles with almost no re-voicing required... just better sound and more instruments sounds to choose from.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:43:46 AM by Joe H » Logged

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music. Download Registrations, Styles & Multi Pads:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Ed B
Global Moderator

PSr S900, Finale 2011, Toronto Canada

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »

Hi
You also have voice capability which is pretty neat in itself and it can play MP3 audio files.
Good luck
Ed B

Keep on learning
karmacomposer

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:56:51 AM »

I've had my S910 for a long time now - had a S710 and traded up.

No doubt about it, the S910 is a world apart and worth every stankin penny!!!!!!

This is my favorite keyboard I have ever owned and is a far cry above a S710.

Buying it was one of my best decisions - so yes, it is worth upgrading to the S910.

If someone is on the fence, get the S910 - you will NEVER be sorry with your
purchase.

Mike

Yamaha PSR s910, Korg Karma, CME UF8, Axiom 61, Presonus Studio Pro, Samplitude 10 Pro, many vsti, EWQLSO, EWQLSC and KHSO Diamond. 8 networked dual/quad/octo core PCs & 1 Mac Mini. Eigenharp Pico.  www.hardcoreharmonics.com - www.supersynths.com
Keyboardist
PSR Performer

Arranger Workstations

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »

Good Choice
No offense to the 710 owners out there but the S910 can just do more overall and is a very worthy purchase
Being that most people get a keyboard and keep it a while no sense settling and getting less when for just a little more you be happy with it for a while and each time
you sit a play will bring a smile to your face  Cheesy
Good Luck happy playing

Craig "Keyboardist"

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page
rocky007

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »

The S910 has about 300 more Voices than the S710... quite a difference when it comes to playing  styles and MIDI song files or creating your own custom Voices. You can play the T3 styles with almost no re-voicing required... just better sound and more instruments sounds to choose from.

Regards,
Joe H

okk so  i have to save some more money for PSR S910 Smiley

thanks
RF

Keyboards: Tyros 2 and Korg Micro Arranger

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 12:30:12 PM »

If too expensive, take a look to a PSR S900 or Tyros 2. Both are better than the 710.

Kind regards
Ronny F
dont811
Supporter

S-910;MU-128;Proteus 1&2/XR;Proteus2k;Korg I30

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »

Hi, For months I debated-but ONLY because of finances for, IMHO & ears, what the S-910 offered under the hood was AWESOME ! I too, purchaced my "DREAM" from FRANK after joining this forum, back in late Jan. '12.  As a 61 yr young ROCKER, I'm looking forward to gigging again, something I retired from after just getting tired of all the stale Korg I-30 styles. I wanna ROCK as well as play standards-not just lulliby groups of people waiting to die and living to tell the musician to "TURN THE DAMN  NOISE DOWN, SUNNY ! "
    I don't even watch much TV anymore (excluding sports & some news) for i have 'DREAM' setup in the living room w/ headphones always getting new ideas.
This is truly an INSPIRATION MACHINE I hope to someday share w/ all of you some of those INSPIRATIONS.
THANK YOU ALL for reading & Congrats on getting your 910.
regards, Don

Thanks again 4 all your help.S-910; MU128;  Proteus1&2/XR; Proteus2000;SC-55; KORG I-30; TC-HeliconVoiceLive2; Hammond X5; Leslie760
http://www.youtube.com/user/donscaptvideo
I try to be a Musician Now ya know y I'm so crazy Wink
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »

Hi Don,

I like your attitude!

And congratulations on your decision to buy the S910. It ROCKS!

Regards,
Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads for Contemporary Dance Music. Download Registrations, Styles & Multi Pads:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html
Labra
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 06:45:45 AM »

Dear all -

this is my first posting in this forum; I strongly apologize in advance if something I will ask has already been discussed, or if I make any other faux pas inadvertently.

I, too, am contemplating buying an S710 OR S910. I am not sure I really need the vocal harmony - but the superarticulated voices are a definite attraction I would not want to pass on. So the question is:

if I buy a 710 - can I download the "missing" superarticulated voices from the S910 set here from this forum? And will they sound precisely the way they would sound on a 910? For the latter, I can see no reason why they should not, as the amp/speakers part is the same, and the voice processor is the same, right? But I am worried about the entire issue of download/use.

The reason why I am asking is quite simple: beyond the apparent price difference, 710 is currently available in the shops here where I am (and I am not in the US...) while the 910 has been sold out and will take another month or two before it is restocked. And I would like to buy something right now, as I have just sold my old faithful Yamaha YPG525 and have nothing to play on.

Looking forward to hearing your advice!
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »

Labra,

You cannot load S910 Voices into the S710.  Read all of the posts above!

Also download the manual and compare the specifications of the 2 keyboards. (same manual for both keyboards)   The S910 is well worth the difference in price.  You won't regret buying the S910.  It's a lot more keyboard than the S710.

Regards,
Joe H

Labra
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »

Thanx, that about clears it. I will then just order the S910 and wait till it is restocked. It's not even about the price - it's rather about the immediacy of 710 and a waiting period for S910. But if I have lived for 60  years without it, I will survive for another month while waiting for it. Smiley

Thanx!

L
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »

Labra,

Then once you have receive your S910... you won't get much sleep for about a month.      Smiley

It happens to us all!    Grin

Cheers,
Joe H 

Labra
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »

Labra,

Then once you have receive your S910... you won't get much sleep for about a month.      Smiley

Joe,

as of last night I am a proud owner of an S910 (which was on sale - no idea why - for US$1,500 including VAT, instead of the regular 1,750 VAT - a huge saving!). Can't say I totally lost last night's sleep - but only because I did not have a power adapter (they are sold separately @US$80!... Sad ). I had one for an IBM laptop (the same voltage - 16VDC, a greater amperage - 3.5A not 2.4A like the original one) - but its jack was of the wrong size, so I had to wait till morning to go to an electronics shop and buy a suitable jack for a dollar, then come back home to solder it instead of the wrong one, and - voila! the machine is working! Smiley (Strange, eh?!)

Well, what can I say? Nice. My previous keyboard was a 2006 Yamaha YPG-525 which is very similar in terms of behavior/interaction - but certainly lacks the sophistication and the number of presets available in S910. I still have been unable to make the microphone work (I guess I just soldered the PL jack the wrong way...). The rest seems to be working to my complete satisfaction.

I have already downloaded the extra styles from the appropriate page in this website - but have no idea how to go about adding and using them, so would appreciate a link to the How-To section, if available - or maybe someone can walk me through the process.

All in all, thanks for your advice folks - the machine is definitely a challenging endeavor, and it will keep me busy for a while, I'm sure. Be well everyone!

L
MBedesem
PSR Professor

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

L

The lessons you want start here: http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/start/index.html

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@sover.net
Tyros 5
atrin
Asst. Member

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »

hi:
what is style format in PSR S910?
can PSR S910 play other models styles(tyros and psr 630,....)?
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »

atrin,

the style format is It is called SFF2 or SFF GE.

The S910 will play both SFF1 and SFF2. I bought the Styles CD #4 with Preset styles from 15 Yamaha keyboards... they all play on the S910. Only exception are some T4 styles that need re-voicing because the S910 does not have all the Voices of the T4.

Regards,
Joe H

Robert M
Asst. Member

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »

Hi All,

I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble but i have owned both s710 and s910 and i believe these to be the cheapest feel keyboard that i have had.

I had been playing Yamaha keyboards for over 14 years and can honestly say i was very disappointed in the boards.

I can appreciate what you are all saying about the extra SA voices and extra style the S910 has but my personal opinion is that all the great additional technical improvements have been let down by a cheap feel board.

Due to this case i admit to trading in the S910 back for the Tyros 2 which i absolutely love.

Cheers

TYROS 1 USER
Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »

Robert,

Sounds like the only bubble you have burst is your own.

Lighten up a bit, things could be worse... the S910 could have come loaded with the SFF1 styles and no MP3 player like the T2.

Cheesy

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:43:09 PM by Joe H » Logged

Joe H
Supporter

PSR S910

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »

Labra,

Congratulations on your new keyboard. You will lose some sleep... just don't take it over to Robert's house, he might get jealous!

Grin

You can add all the styles you like by copying them to your USB thumb drive, then just select the "User" styles... that will take you to the "User" drive. Tab over to the USB drive and open the folder you have put them in and they will be there to load and play.

Have fun and and ask questions... and Welcome to the Forum!

Regards,
Joe H

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:49:18 PM by Joe H » Logged

Labra
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 09:39:34 PM »

Thanks for your kind words! I have not taken it anywhere yet - still need to buy a gig bag before venturing to take it outside! Smiley But I sure will. Just need to stop playing and get around to ordering one. Smiley

Still opening new features every day. Yesterday I dot my microphone and tried Vocal Harmony. Real fun.

I have downloaded and tried using some styles via a USB drive, works fine. Still miss a few ballad styles I had on my 2006 Yamaha YPG-525 88-key machine. I sold it to a young colleague (who is absolutely happy with it, as he is just learning the ropes), and can ask him to lend me the CD for a day or two - but I'm not sure I know how to go about copying the styles from that CD and converting them to work for S910. I guess I will figure it out   thumb through the tutorials if I don't.

I will yell if I need help. Just a few years from my approaching retirement, I will certainly have a meaningful hobby to help me pass the time. Smiley

Best regards to y'all -

L
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
PSR Tutorial Forum  |  PSR-Sxxx Keyboards  |  PSR-S910/S710  |  Topic: S710 vs S910? « previous next »
Jump to: