Author Topic: upgrade your psr2000/2100 to read and write to usb stick  (Read 47756 times)

trung

upgrade your psr2000/2100 to read and write to usb stick
« on: May 30, 2009, 01:53:38 AM »
 :)If you need to replace the floppy drive on your psr keyboard with a device that can read and write to a USB pen drive, this is the right device for you.

USB Floppy Drive Emulator (Floppy to USB Converter)

You won't ever need floppies anymore.
   From now on use reliable USB pen drive instead of floppy diskettes!
   Up to 100 floppies can be stored on one single USB pen drive!

Features:

The old floppy disk drive is replaced 1:1 by the USB Floppy Drive Emulator.
The USB pen drive at the USB Floppy Drive Emulator replaces the old diskette entirely. USB memory components have long life spans and high capacities.
The contents on 100 floppies can easily be placed on one single USB pen drive. That saves a lot of time and costs!
No driver or configuration software required!
The USB pen drive must be formatted by our software before use with the USB Floppy Drive Emulator. This software is small, easy to use and click to run (no need to install).

Applications:

The USB Floppy Drive Emulator is suitable for all devices that currently use a normal 3.5" floppy disk drive (1.44MB fdd).

Specially for your psr keyboard

Specifications:

Interfaces:        - USB socket to insert USB pen drive
             - 4-pin floppy socket for voltage supply
            - 34-pin socket board for floppy controller connection
Diagnostics LED:   Busy
Display: 2-digit to show current virtual floppy and diagnostics
Voltage supply: 5 V DC, 4-pin-voltage supply socket for 3.5 inch drives
Measurements W/H/D: approx. 100 mm / 25 mm / 122 mm. Same as normal Floppy Disk Drive.

Please, contact: trungtal@gmail.com
Price of this floppy drive emulator: US$85.00
Delivery charge: depend on your location
We accept PAYPAL for payment.
Delivery: Worldwide
We can list this device on EBAY if you need.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:52:16 AM by trung »

caryb

Re: upgrade your psr2000/2100 to read and write to usb stick
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:47:29 AM »
June 2, 2009: I have a PSR 2100 For 5 years and Love It... I bought the USB Driver From Trung, (in Vietnam) It came by DHL to me in NY after a few days, and I Installed it. I am Very Happy. It works GREAT... I have 24 Blocks Filled and It will Hold 99. I have a 246 MB Thumb USB, and That Holds ALL The Songs AND Styles I have. Replaced over 40 Floppy Disks... Great New Toy.. Cost me 120. With Shipping. Any questions write me: Musically Yours. caryb1999@gmail.com

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:54:58 AM »
caryb,

Thanks for the report.  8)
I think this is a great solution for the long gone floppy.  ;)

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline panda

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:01:15 AM »
Trung,....how come you deleted the photos?
Less is More!.

caryb

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
I have a few Photos.. -cary

[attachment deleted by admin]

caryb

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »
Hope this helps..

[attachment deleted by admin]

trung

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »
 ;)
This is the video of this converter from a player in Hungary on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmG5XBq4O70

(He bought this one from us).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:11:08 AM by trung »

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »
Trung,

I tell you, if I still had my PSR-2100 or the Tyros 1, I would be after one of these that is for sure.  8)
This is the best update for those keyboards I have seen for making them USB stick compatable.

Bill G

caryb

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »
Very Pleased with the Floppy Conversion to USB DRIVER. Its a little tricky at first to Program from the computer with Trungs Download file to Program the 99 Files Folders to accommodate the downloaded (downloadable) Floppys to USB.. but I put about 8 inches of Floppy Disks (Songs And Styles) Into my 128 "MEG" USB Stick and I filled up ONLY about 20 Folders of 99. Plus with the LINK Below To Protect the USB Stick, I got this NEAT Flexible Adapter. So I am Happy and so is my PSR 2100.  -cary  caryb1999@gmail.com.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=1539

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:23:05 PM »
CaryB,

Yeah - That's a good idea to remedy the stick being right out there.
Also, you could use a cable to allow the stick to be on the side or top of the keyboard.

Thanks for the link.

Bill G

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »
Hi to you all,

I did the same as Gary and have this emulator from Trung now in my PSR2000.
Piece of cake to replace the old drive, same connections and no nonsense.
Great stuff... it works as expected.
Yes you need a short usb cable or an angled connection because the usb-flashdrive sticks very much out at the front, but that is a minor detail and as Gary said, a bit tricky at first to use it.
I agree, but in a few moments you will learn the right order how to work with it.
The best update for ALL keyboards still using a floppydrive.
Please don't hesitate to mail me for more info, but no questions about the electronics please because I don't have a clue.

dick.rector.spain@googlemail.com

Musical regards and thanks to Trung in VietNam for bringing this on the market and to Gary in N.Y for the info he has send to me.
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

caryb

Re: upgrade psr2000/2100 Floppy to read and write to usb stick
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 03:09:10 AM »
Yes Dick I love my USB DRIVE... and as you mention the "Flash Stick-Drive" did stick out a couple inches, which bothered me.....SO, I found This (LINK) to Remedy the Problem.. and Things are GREAT!! By The Way on my name- Change the "G" to a "C".. as in Cary.. (just a minor point but I'm not sure if there is a GARY B, but I like Cary with a B) ;D. Musically yours,  Caryb1999@gmail.com

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=116&sku=30501

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
Sorry about misspelling your name CaryB ;D
Very small characters on my screen and not so young eyes. >:(
To much enthusiasm I suppose about this new tool.
I thought I give you a bit extra! :D

Take care Cary
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline doctorJ

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 04:21:50 AM »
Hello Folks
I have been most interested in this topic and have asked in this Forum in the past. I still own and play the 2100; very pleased with it.
Here is the response from Yamaha; while a different product; just being a bit cautions - to ensure the product about will NOT damage the internal memory etc?

From Yamaha: Hello,
It is not possible to add a USB port to your instrument. It is not possible to increase the internal memory of the instrument. If ever you buy a portable computer, you can use your computer to store the songs in Standard Midi File format (SMF) and use the free player Van Basco (link below) to play them.

http://vanbasco.com/products.html
To my knowledge, this type of adaptor FLASHPATH FLOPPY DISK ADAPTER FOR SMARTMEDIA, can only be use with a computer.

Digital Music Production Technical Team / Équipe technique Production Musicale Numérique Yamaha Canada
Dr. J
Happy PSR 2100 Owner!

caryb

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 07:06:40 AM »
Hmm. I'm not Surprised what Yamaha said BUT... #1, I am HAPPY with my new USB unit.. And The Keyboard "THINKS" that a Floppy Drive with Disk is still there. So it Reads and Obeys certain commands much like the rest of the computer driven products within all Keyboards.  And #2 If I go Portable (that the purpose right?) Then who wants to lug around a laptop? Although recently I now use a Laptop for "KARAOKE" and Other Oldies  Popular songs...

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 07:08:54 AM »
Dr J,

Yamaha has to be careful about their liability and I would be surprised if they would even make any comment about this product other than to say, "We can neither recommend or condemn the use of any third party hardware for use on our keyboards".

If I still had my 2100 I would probably try this unit and I would also try to find a way to use it on my Tyros 1, if I still had the Tyros, but I would not recommend you try it.
It is okay for me to take a risk with my own stuff, but not yours.  ;)

Bill G

Offline doctorJ

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 08:01:21 AM »
Very well said Bill, and I appreciate it.

That said, would you recommend; and if so removing all the styles under Music Finder - I have use it.
And if so is there a back up - e.g. does it fit on ONE floppy?

Thanks again
Dr. J
Happy PSR 2100 Owner!

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:18 AM »
I'm not sure why you would want to remove the styles in Music Finder, but you can remove them.
I think the entire music finder should fit on a single floppy as the file is not all that large.
In any case the original MFD is burned to the internal ROM's and can always be restored with a factory reset.
However, if you have added your own files or updated the MFD with the real names of the songs, then
you for sure need to save those before doing a reset or delete.

Incidentally, the MFD doesn't really have any styles in it, only a reference to the styles for loading.

Bill G

Offline doctorJ

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »
Correct - thanks again
Dr. J
Happy PSR 2100 Owner!

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »
Hi DoctorJ, and all others who are interested!

I don't want to go on about it but I have replaced the old floppydrive in my PSR2000 for this USB-Floppy-emulator and it is a candy.
The keyboard still 'thinks' it is a floppydrive and ALL the functions including OTS, changing voices, safe and delete or whatever you want to do, are working fine and the same as before.
The one minor point however is that the USB-flashdrive sticks very much out at the front. CaryB found a good solution for this in America (see his comment) but they don't have them here so I use a short USB extension-cable and fixed the flashdrive on the upper-back out of the way.
For the rest I can recommend this box.

Musical salute to you all,
Dick Rector
Bali
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

venkecske

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »
;)
This is the video of this converter from a player in Hungary on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmG5XBq4O70

(He bought this one from us).

Yes, this is my video :)  I was build in for my friend. And I was buy another pieces, but must say : danger!
It works perfect with new Yamaha instruments, but other brands(mainly older type) , and the Roland
synthetizers not so simple... I wait for Gotek's answer - hope he can help how to jumpering the usb-floppy to Shugart interfaces.
Regards : Pisti

caryb

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »
Yes, nice video....That's how mine works...BUT:  But after putting the Flashcard (with switch to Left = ON) THEN I START the Keyboard Power... THEN I watch and wait few seconds for (NEW USB) DRIVE to Recognize What was Loaded on the Flash with the Special Software program That Came with the Unit. THEN I can set the Numbers for the banks (02 or 03, 22 or 46, up to 99 IF they are being used).  I have maybe 100 'Songs' and 50 'Styles'.. have room for Thousants on a usb Flash storage device.  I LOAD the Songs According to where they are stored on my Flash card, THEN I select PLAY For Songs (there now seen On Screen (top left) or select "styles" lower on screen IF there Styles, and hit "INTRO" For Styles I Play myself ... LOVE IT. Sure BEATS the Floppy Disks.. Nothing To Wear out!!! 
- Cary B. in NY. caryb1999@gmail.com

frenkytambunan

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 03:54:32 AM »
Hi DoctorJ, and all others who are interested!

I don't want to go on about it but I have replaced the old floppydrive in my PSR2000 for this USB-Floppy-emulator and it is a candy.
The keyboard still 'thinks' it is a floppydrive and ALL the functions including OTS, changing voices, safe and delete or whatever you want to do, are working fine and the same as before.
The one minor point however is that the USB-flashdrive sticks very much out at the front. CaryB found a good solution for this in America (see his comment) but they don't have them here so I use a short USB extension-cable and fixed the flashdrive on the upper-back out of the way.
For the rest I can recommend this box.

Musical salute to you all,
Dick Rector
Bali

Hello Dick... for the first time, since I look the Floppy Drive Emulator in many webs that show the emulator can be installed on the Keyboard I'm very Interest to have one like that... can you send me couple of pics of your keyboard that use this floppy emulator???

Ouw, is that true that you live in Bali (Indonesia) ???
if that's true, then we're live at the same country...

Thx, waiting for your reply Bli...
Frenky Tambunan
East Bekasi

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 04:59:55 PM »
Selamat ....... whatever time of day it is when you read this! ;D

Please send me your emailaddress and I will send you a zipfile with all the info from my own experience and some pictures.
It works like a dream in my PSR 2000!! NO more floppies. :D :D :D
I have been using this box now since beginning of August 2009 every day and extensively and I am very happy with it.
For a good understanding, I am NOT the vendor (don't even now him) only an enthusiast keyboardplayer.

dick.rector.spain@googlemail.com

Regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Linda K

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 06:21:11 AM »
The information in this thread sound very promising, however do you know of any one who have purchased this device for a T1?

Thanks for any advice.

Linda K

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
Hi Linda,

You've got mail.

Regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
As I recall the emulator in this thread was at a cost of $100 US (or more).

But I have revisited Ebay and found these emulators (which seem more in line of the price range I expected).

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=+USB+Floppy+Drive+Emulator&_sacat=0&_odkw=ipcas+USB+Floppy+Drive+Emulator&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Is there anyway to know if these will also work or not work with a Yamaha keyboard?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:53:45 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 06:35:25 PM »
Hello Drake and other music friends on this forum,

I have well over a year daily and extensively used a USB-floppy-emulator in my keyboard for lessons and gigs and have send info to over 300 people about my experiences with this best update for the older keyboards who are still using floppy-drives.
I am very happy with it as it works like a dream.
But be warned! THE ONLY emulator that will work in a keyboard has 2 small buttons AND an EXTRA larger button (Red in the example) on the righthand-side of the box.
Without this EXTRA (RED) button the emulator will probably work in computers and embroidery-machines and the like but NOT in a keyboard as it uses a slightly different protocol to communicate.
The one you will find on this Ebay-address will work!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170568251438

I have NOTHING to do with the vendor but if you want more information don't hesitate to let me know at:
dick.rector.spainATgooglemail.com (change AT for @)

Regards
Dick Rector

PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline rizkhancnn

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 04:53:34 AM »
I dont understand. Why dont you people sell the psr 2100 and get psr 3000? instead of getting some 3rd party device which may harm psr 2100 in the long run, why dont you sell it and put the amount of money you are paying to get usb emulator towards buying a second hand psr 1500/3000. that way you wont need rocket science to operate the usb!
-kam

Offline Larry Warner

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
Hello Kam,

I'm sure a lot of 2100 keyboard owners don't sell and move up to the 3000 is because the 2100 is an excellent keyboard.
Also the 3rd party device you mentioned is really great on the 2100.  No problems at all.

I'm a psr 2100 owner.

Best regards,

Larry
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:57:11 PM by Larry Warner »
Larry

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
I do agree with you Larry and sorry, I believe that Kam has missed the point here.
In 2009 I've placed the Emulator in my PSR 2000 and have been using it every day since for my own pleasure, for some gigs and for my students.
My son has one in a PSR 740 and a friend of mine has one in a PSR 550 AND a PSR 2100
Let alone the money (which a lot of us just can not afford) and the trouble to find a better??? PSR 1500/3000 why should we if we are VERY happy with our present keyboard(s).
This perfect update cost a FRACTION of what an upgrade to a slightly more advanced keyboard would cost.
Oh yes, gadgets, and I love them too and I would love to own a Tyros 4 but I am simply not in the race for it.

Regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Linda K

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 03:19:05 AM »
Hi

I have will be getting one for my Tyros 1, and at about $A100 and the good reviews I have read about it, I think it is well worth the risk :D

I will let you know

Linda K

beniston

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
Thanks to this forum, I could get a USB floppy emulator for my PSR2100 from the following site. It costed Rs.3500- (Indian Rupee) equivalent to USD 60. It is very easy to install and works really great.  The below link will help Indian users.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Floppy-Drive-to-usb-Emulator-converter-1-44-Roland-Yamaha-KORG-4gb-Kingston-/300880825795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item460de50dc3

Offline rizkhancnn

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »
I have installed a usb emulator on psr 2100, working great. One thing to remember is that buy GOTEK brand and you can use 3 digit device now available but it wont let u store more than 100 images.
Remember It Is A Substitute USB, not comparable to original usb option which comes built-in in keyboards that let you read all directories at once.