Author Topic: touch sensitivity on one key not working at times  (Read 8256 times)

kvdman

touch sensitivity on one key not working at times
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »
I have an annoying problem with my PSR-9000.

I'll be playing (with touch sensitivity on), and all of the sudden one or two keys (middle G and A), will play at full volume, even though I'm barely touching them. It doesn't happen all the time, but a lot. It's inconsistent.

I've tried restoring the factory defaults, cycling the power, etc. These don't help, as the problem recurs.

Anyone have any suggestions what I could do? Recalibrate the sensitivity?

thx!

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: touch sensitivity on one key not working at times
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:22:13 PM »
kvdman,

First let me welcome you to the forum.  8)

Unfortunately these Yamaha keyboards use a rubber pad with sensing media similar to PC keyboard membranes.
There are no adjustments and this is usually a sign of eminent failure of one section of the pads.
It is possible that some debris has lodged under the key and perhaps blowing it out real well with one of those PC cans of air will clean it out.
You might even pick the keyboard up at the rear and see if you can shake it a bit.

Replacing a section of those pads is not out of sight expensive unless you have to ship the keyboard off to get a repair done.
Some of our members have replaced the pads themselves and you might be able to if you are handy with a screw driver.

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline Eddie Shoemaker

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:57:07 PM »
When I had my PSR 9000 it worked almost nightly for 3 years. The longest the contact strips (or pads as Bill calls them) lasted were about a year. When one was about to go I got exactly the same symptoms as you have noticed. Since then I have used the PSR 2000 and 3000. They too have contact strips that, with use, will need to be replaced.

Eddie

kvdman

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:33:22 AM »
Guys, thanks for your quick responses  ;D

I'll try the shaking idea, and one of those air cans and hope that works.

If not I guess I'll have to get it sent off for repair then.

Many thanks again, the forum is a great resource for the community.

Offline djeev1

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 09:22:46 AM »
Hi all

I know this topic is very old but thanks to it I was able to save my money and not trow 400€ by the window. :o

A short explaination (migth not be so short I guess :P: )
I bought an used PSR 9000 on the second hand market (400€). When I played it (before buying) I didn't notice any difference of the volum levels. Because the guy is tricky he made some patches with the same sensitivity. In this case it is not possible to make a difference. >:(. When I came home and played it, I have noticed that some of the keys sensitivity was not working. Even if I play very slowly they sounded with a very hight volum.

I was so upset and over the night I searched on the internet and found this topic which has put me to the track... The day after I took my screw drivers and started to remove one by one each part and finally I was able to reach the rubber contact.

I was licky to find a new spare part for less than 40€. I replaced it and after a fine placement of the rubber contact everything was ok...

I've also managed at the same time to remove the speakers, LCD, the panel buttons (almost everything) and gave a big cleanup....

Now the keyboard is shining as if I took it out of the box, except that I have also replaced the floppy by a GOTEK USB drive and added 64MB ram + 40GB hard disk....

I have done some videos of all this stuff, I'll try to post them on youtube and leave a link here just in case if someone else will need to do this job....

Or yeah I forgot to tell that I also removed each key blacks and whites) and replaced two of them. Cleaned up all the rust on the keybed and applied an anti-rust...

So again thanks to this topic...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:14:44 PM by djeev1 »

Online jerryghr

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 12:03:20 PM »
Good Job.

Looking forward to your videos which will benefit many members.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Offline Ormly

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 05:14:39 AM »
Same problem existed in the old HX1 bass pedals only each pedal had its own individual piece of rubber contact tubing, [perhaps 1/4-3/8 inches long] In overhauling it I also inserted a small piece of non destructable foam rubber into each one that I carefully sliced from a piece of carpet padding sheet waste. It worked perfectly and continues to perform flawlessly to this day 10yrs later.

I purchased a 9K keyboard this year with the same problem you all are speaking re inconsistent keyBd velocity touch control.

I found a Yamaha supplier [Full compass.com] who have the rubber strips @ USD35.00 +/-. They are advertized on their website for the 8K Kybd but are the same piece as need in the 9K.  I purchased one and am waiting to make sure I have all in my possession all else I want to replace before getting into the job [I have already been into it to for cleaning issues].

OMT: I needed a switch for one of the small bottons of the 16 just under the LED screen. Full Compass.com got them for me direct from Yamaha. They are the same part # as those for the Tyros 2. I bought 3 for 11.00 USD [2 spares]. They get soldered to the PN2 circuit panel.

Upon reading your many replies, the thought occurred to me I could have performed when cleaning inside the Kybd: The rubber keybd contact strip, while long and in one piece, it is also segmented. There are 10 segments I believe could be carefully cut and swapped around, i.e., heavily used segments switched with ones that are lessor used. Today's adhesives should take of the rejoining issues even if 'scrim' material was needed to make fast the joints possibly flexing open. I also believe that because of the fatigue happening when the keys are depressed, what I did with the HX1 bass pedal rebuild could be utilized for giving a fresh support to a 'tired' rubber contact, i.e., insert the foam strips for renewed performance.

I sincerely hope this all will help someone here who might be in "panic mode" and is looking for hope. . . ;)

Offline djeev1

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »
Hi all

Back here after a long time Because I was so busy....

But for all of future members who want to know how to change their Rubber contact strip here is a complete guide that I've made based on my own work done on my keyboard....

Some of you have sent me messages asking for the videos but unfortunatly I don't have time to edit them and to translate from french to english....  Thanks for your understanding because as you all know we are doing this for free and this is not our job....

Anyway I'm sure this PDF file with pictures extracted from my videos will help most of the people around the world.... Again please note that me or this board is no responsible for any damage caused on your keyboards. We are doing this just for free and to share with others....

Let me know if anyone has questions...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y6a0twctcll73u/Replacing%20the%20rubber%20contact%20strip%20-V2%20-%20PSR%209000.pdf?dl=0

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
Hi Djeev1,

I don't own a PSR-9000, but on behalf of all the members who own this keyboard, thank you for all of your effort it took to put your very clear instructions together.

We sincerely appreciate you, my friend!!!   :)  :)  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline djeev1

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
Thanks a lot my friend I appreciate your message.

This was my way to thanks all the previous messages left by the members here. Without their messages I would never have been able to find out the cause. I bought this second hand keyboard for 400Ä just to have one keyboard to practice at home because in my studio I have a tyros 3. Without this forum I would have lost 400Ä. So thanks for all memebers here and you as well for this forum.

Now you can also count on me to help other members (if can I will do it with pleasure).

:)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:23:49 PM by djeev1 »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 01:51:35 PM »
That's very kind of you, my friend.  As I previously said; We sincerely appreciate you!!!
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline djeev1

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 09:51:54 PM »
You are very welcome and hope this will help more people in the world with their broken PSR 9000. I also have other ongoing PDF files such as:

1/ how to replace the floppy disk by a USB stick drive
2/ how to replace broken keys etc....

I'll do them and post them here as well  ;).