Author Topic: Parameter lock doesn't really lock...  (Read 5243 times)

Offline travlin-easy

Parameter lock doesn't really lock...
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
While there are some features listed on the parameter lock that appear to work, during the past few months I've discovered there is one area that not all things do what one would hope.

This was the case with my newly created Mic settings. Creating the settings took some time, probably an hour or so, therefore I decided to save the information to a simple registration that only has Mic and Pedal boxes selected in the Registration Memory Contents Page. I made some fairly radical changes in my Mic EQ settings, which really put a lot more depth and quality in my vocals. Everything was going just fine until I selected another registration, one that was created a few years back. Keep in mind that I DO NOT store mic and pedal settings in my normal registrations. Under normal circumstances, this process has worked just fine for many years.

What I was unaware of was that some things are saved within a registration, despite the fact that that box was not checked in the Registration Memory Contents Page. In this particular instance the Mic effects were saved in the older registrations, which changed my current mic effects. This, despite the fact that the Mic box was not checked in either the Parameter Lock or Registration Memory Contents Page.

I figured the easiest solution to the problem would be to merely select my special setting registration, then use the freeze feature. However, even with the mic box checked in the freeze  page, the effects continued to change when an old registration was selected. Undaunted, I decided to circumvent the problem by utilizing the Parameter Lock area, where I selected the Mic box as the parameter to lock. I also had to lock the DSP Return setting as well.

While this seemed to have solve the problem, in reality, it did not. While the keyboard remained on I was able to select older registrations without changes in the mic settings occurring. Then, without making any changes, I turned off the keyboard, ate lunch and came back to the office to go back to work. I turned on the keyboard, and the mic settings had reverted to the old settings once again. This time, however, because the Parameter Lock Page's Mic setting box was checked, I could not just access my newly created registration to bring things back to normal. I had to uncheck the Parameter Lock's Mic box, then access the registration, followed by once again placing a check in the Mic box of the Parameter Lock page.

I suspect there is a glitch in the PSR-3000s software that causes this to occur, and I'm fairly confident the same glitch exists in the PSR S-900, Tyros, Tyros2 and Tyros3. I'll try to reach Steve Demming at Yamaha Monday afternoon to make him aware of the problem and determine if there is a software update in the works that can address this problem.

Just another fun day in Paradise,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: Parameter lock doesn't really lock...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »
Gary,

That is really disappointing to run into this situation.
The only solution I can see might be to make a MIDI file containing your settings and have your registration call the MIDI.
Another layer of frustration - hope Steve has a good answer for you.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »
Bill,

My current work-around for the problem involves a half-dozen additional button pushes after turning on the keyboard. It just added another 30 seconds to my setup time when I get to the job.

I'll post the information I get from Steve.

Cheers,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline DonM

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:53 AM »
Gary,
Every time I powered on the S900 (and the same has been true for the last few Yamahas) I Unlock the Mic setting on the Paramater Lock page, THEN load my default registration, which has the proper settings, THEN LOCK the Mic settings on the Parameter Lock page.
It's the only way I can figure to do it, without resaving every single registration.
I have complained about this to Yamaha for several years.
DonM
DonM

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:41:44 AM »
Gary & Don,

What I would like to see would be a savable startup sequence for these keyboards.
Make every possible setting available to this sequence.
This can be done within the operating system and would be gold for all arranger keyboards.

Bill G

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
I put in a call to Steve Demming this morning, however, he wasn't in at the time. The tech said he would pass the information along to Steve and have him give me a call. That was two hours ago.

Time will tell,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline DonM

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Gary & Don,

What I would like to see would be a savable startup sequence for these keyboards.
This can be done within the operating system and would be gold for all arranger keyboards.

Bill G

The only company I know of that offers a COMPLETE Power On setup save is Ketron.  Roland works much the same as Yamaha, you can save a lot of things to a registration, but not everything.
DonM

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »

Bill G

If you start up, make sure all the settings you want saved - from VH, mic, Fingering, all split points etc. etc. are as you want them, then save to a Registration with all boxes ticked -- will that not provide what you need?

John

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:11:10 PM »
John,

The thing a user defined startup sequence can deliver in this case would eliminate the need
to first unlock the Mic, set the registration and then reset the Parameter Lock feature.
This would turn three steps into none and could even get you back to where you want to be quickly after a system reset.

Bill G

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »
Hi Bill,
I don't use a mic, (or play out) so maybe there  are things at stake that I don't see ;)

The principle I had in mind (if it holds water) was that if there is the reassurance of everything saved in a Registration and available for "instant reset" there may be less need to lock the (troublesome?) parameters in the first place. So restoring them after startup would only involve activating the Reg. button (eliminating the need for the unlocking and re-locking hassle.)

John

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »
I just got off the phone with Steve Demming, we tried to duplicate the problem and from what I was able to gather from our conversation, the solution may be available by upgrading to the latest v1.8 OS. I went to Yamaha's site, but this far I have not been able to find the v1.8 using their search engine. If anyone has a direct link, please post it for me.

Thanks,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline FrankB

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 02:02:22 PM »
Gary,

Hope it works, but Don reports the same problem with the s900.  ???

Bill G

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
Thanks for the link Frank.

Bill, I think the S900 also has an OS update available as well, which, with luck, may solve the problem. I'm downloading the file now, and hopefully, (fingers crossed) it will work.

Thanks again guys,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »
The one thing I forgot about was that I need to copy the information from my computer to the SM card. Unfortunately, I gave my SM USB card reader away some time ago, the guy died, the reader is history. Now I have to buy another SM USB card reader because the keyboard cannot see the files on my USB drive--wonderful.

Just another fun day in paradise,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 06:27:47 PM »
Gary,

What OS version is currently on your keyboard?
Version 1.7 and above you do not need the SM card and you can use a USB stick.

Bill G

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »
I never updated the keyboards--everything was working fine until I encountered this problem so I figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:30 PM »
Have you a camera that uses SM?
I was able to use my camera plugged into the PC USB and trans fer the code to the SM card.

Bill

kisse2katt

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
Hi Gary

You can use the PSR-3000 as a card reader/whriter if you use the Musicsoft downloader program in
your PC and the USB-stick with new OS and the Smartcard both in the PSR-3000.
You can copy and paste files in the Musicsoft downloder by right-click in the appropriet window of the
program.

No need for any external cardreader/whriter.

Regards Tom T

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 07:15:06 AM »
Thanks Tom. I'll give it a try later today.

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Ernie

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:40 AM »
Hi Gary....

I had a similar problem with my 3000.
The board would not "remember"my mic. settings.
I tried a reg.file of a good friend but still there was the problem.
After switching off and on the new settings  were gone.

After a system reset everything woks fine now.
I did only the system setup  All the other checkboxes were empty
so I still have all my stuff like MF file Midisetup etc.

Best regards
Ernie

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
Tom--it would not read the files, so I ended up purchasing a multi-card reader, which worked just fine and within a few minutes I was able to upload the updates into the keyboard.

Ernie--Nope, this did not solve the problem.

Bottom line--While Steve Demming at Yamaha said it would solve the problem, it did not. It's a software glitch that Yamaha will have to address with both updates and future keyboards. I'll post the Mic settings so anyone who wishes can put them in their PSR-3000. They work great with my Crown CM-311A headset mic and Bose L1 sound system.

Cheers,

Gary

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love Those Yammies...

kisse2katt

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »
Hi Gary

Good that you solved your problem.

The Musicsoft Downloader program will not transfer large files from the computer to the PSR-3000,
but if you have the USB-stick in the PSR-3000 and on the USB-stick the OS-upgrade files then
the Musicsoft Downloder program do transfer large files to the Smartmediacard within the PSR-3000.

Regards Tom T

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 06:26:53 AM »
TomT,

An internal transfer from USB stick to Smart Card for the OS upgrade - great idea - thanks for the information.  8)
Sometimes the simplest and most obvious answer isn't.  :D :D :D :D

Bill G