Author Topic: How to overcome the master tuning limitations ?  (Read 1674 times)

rey2009

How to overcome the master tuning limitations ?
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
Hello again- on the Yamaha  PSR1500, the Master Tune display- you can only go from 414.8Hz to 466.8Hz which is a range of 52Hz

A quick checks leads me to believe  that other Yamaha keyboards have the same limitations..?!
Can one overcome it-as I want to tune all of the keyboard to the 528Hz

Otherwise I would have to use  a program like Scala and do it for each "instrument" And SCALA has a steep learning curve...

Does Yamaha mentions on how to go about it ? How to make it a permanent fixture of your keyboard..

Online Bill Grosse

Re: How to overcome the master tuning limitations ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
Rey,

The frequency range of adjustment for the keyboard is a entire half step, either up or down from concert "A" of 440hz.
There is no need to adjust the frequency more than what is given because a simple transpose will take care of larger needs.
If you were able to adjust the frequency more than what is already provided, you would quickly run into a very out of tune
 keyboard within 3 notes either up or down from the tuned center note.
This new center would give you a scale where no chords will sound good to the ears.
The reason being the way keyboards are constructed - the same thing occurs with a guitar if each string is tuned
more than a step from the designed scale of the instrument due to the placement of the frets.
Looking at a regular scale in the key of C major with "A" being 440 Hz, you will see that the 12 notes of the scale below "A" 440
are spread over a range of 220 Hz and the 12 notes above the"A" 440 are spread over a range of 440 Hz.
Thus the notes are closer to each other - frequency wise - going below A and they are further apart going up the scale.
The further you get away from the center "A" 440 Hz the greater the difference.

What you need is a true synthesizer that can have each note tuned to any frequency desired.
Such a synth exists and is very expensive.

Bill G

I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)