Author Topic: Re-Mixing Midi Song Files  (Read 8401 times)

Offline 1ManBand

Re-Mixing Midi Song Files
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:25 AM »
Over the past few years I have attempted several times to create gig sets of midi song files for my Tyros but I can never seem to pull it off successfully.  Finally of recent I have been able to find quality midi files worth working with but there is always something which needs to be changed to fit my application.  After re-mixing the volumn or changing out an instrument etc. and getting it just the way I want it, it changes back to the original setting.  Obviously I don't understand Sys-Exe.  Can anyone direct me to the right place in the tutorial section where I can learn how to become a midi expert?  With advance thanks and appreciation for any help or advice; Sincerely, a want-to-be "1ManBand"

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Re-Mixing Midi Song Files
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:22:28 AM »
For me, the easiest way to do this has been using the keyboard's onboard Song Creator program. You'll find detailed instructions on the Home Page under the lessons tab.

Good Luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »
Thanks Gary for your response.  Would that be "Home Page" and then "Midi Files & Setup"?

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:27:12 AM »
Gary, I found it "Editing Voices and Volume In Songs" under the Lessons tab.  Once again, Thanks!

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:46:04 AM »
Gary, Would me updating my keyboard to a Tyros 3 or Psr S900 make things any easier for me to get up and running gig ready?

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »
The onboard program is pretty much the same, even on the newer boards. It's a time consuming job that can be done with software, but in the end most of the best sounding midi files are those that are fine tuned on the keyboard. Same holds true with style files as well.

If you are seriously thinking about upgrading, I've heard some wonderful things about the T3. I'm still waiting for one to come to my area so I can get some first hand experience with it, but reports from forum members that have taken the plunge range from excellent to outstanding.

The biggest problem of creating midi files for gig sets is finding sufficient high-quality midis that will fit your needs and not spend a fortune purchasing them. There are thousands of them on this site, and a number of them are excellent. You may want to check them out under the Music Tab of the home page.

If there are any particular midi files/songs you need, and you cannot find them under the music tab, check out www.musicrobot.com and some of the other midi search engines. If you are still unsuccessful, there are a lot of great players on the site that may be able to fulfill your needs.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:05:28 PM »
Thanks once again Gary for your comments in response.  What do you know about the S900.  The reason I'm asking, I'm the kind of person that if I sold a gig to someone I'd like to show up w/ one keyboard to play on and another in my vehicle as a backup... that would be kind of expensive buying two T-3's.  However, if my present Tyros would serve as a backup keyboard no problem.  Although I'd be especially interested if the S900 delivers the same high quality of sound.  I'd rather bring a $1600 keyboard for a ride on a Mardi Gras float in New Orleans than a $4,000 keyboard.  You are so right about finding just the right Midi's.  It's not going to be easy to find midi's for tunes I will need for my local clientele... Big Chief by Professor Long Hair, Mardi Gras Mombo, Hey Pockyway not to mention the "Swamp-pop" genre.  If you know someone out there (that for a reasonable fee) I can send via the internet an audio file of which they could create for me a midi file I would be very interested. Thanks!

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:23:30 PM »
Regarding "Remixing Midi Files"... I think I'm coming along a little bit here! I've discovered its not the remixing of tracks 1-16 that I'm having trouble with (as is shown in the lesson), its the page entitled "Mixing Console (Panel Part)".  My problem is retaining and saving my adjusted settings of Song Volume, Right 1(2&3)  Voice & Volume selections and getting them to save to the midi song file.  Wonder what's wrong here?

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 06:14:06 AM »
1ManBand

You are probably not doing anything wrong. There are a number of items in the Mixing Console which do not get saved with a SonCreator Execute.

Song Volume is one of them. If you look in the ParamterChart of the Data Manual under Main>MixingConsole>Voice, only the items with a "O" are recorded.
Song Volume, called Offset Volume in the chart, is one of them.

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:46 AM »
Thank you Michael for your reply.  Do you have any idea how I can achieve my goal which is:  take an existing midi file, revoice/remix tracks 1-16, select Voice/Volume(s) for R1 (2&3), set Mic settings & set Volumes between Song, R's & Mic and save all this info as a single file for one button to touch to recall and perform.  Thanks!

Offline panda

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »
1MANBAND.....after you changed the voices, balanced the volume of each track:
- press SONG CREATOR...
- press set up
- check the boxes that youwant saved...eg Mic, styles, voices etc.... and confirm it
- save it under another name
- press 'yes'

that's it.
Less is More!.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 10:03:07 AM »
The S-900 is an outstanding keyboard and very similar to the Tyros2. It has many great features, onboard speakers, and USB storage. The only drawback is the visibility of the LCD display while sitting down. The back end of the keyboard must be tilted up a few inches in order to clearly see the display. However, if you stand while performing, this is not a problem.

Good Luck,

Gary
Love Those Yammies...

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 10:50:40 AM »
Thank you Panda and thank you Gary for being so kind to reply.  Panda, I can't wait to get home today to try your instructions.  I will report back as to the results.  Thank you so much!...    Gary, I guess what I'll do is perhaps create some song/registration files on my T1 and find the nearest music store to my town which has both a T3 & S900 and try them out.  Once again Thanks!

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 01:12:19 PM »
If you create the registrations on the T1, make sure you run them through Michael Bedesem's Registration Fix program so they can be loaded into the S900 and T3. You'll find it Here

Good Luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 05:18:44 PM »
Panda... Still having problems.  This is exactly what I did:  Engaged midi song file in user section; re-mixed, pressed digital recording, song creator, channel, setup, execute, save & save (@ bot) renamed then pressed OK.  Did all this w/ the following checked: Song - Voice, filter, EQ, volume, effect, pan, tempo, keyboard & Mic.  On this newly named song the following passed: Song Volume, Mic Volume; failed to change were - R1 Volume, R2 Voice, Track 1 Volume & Track 2 Voice.  On my second attempt at the same re-mix of the original song to a new third named file it seemed to work fine except that towards the end of the song I lost my Marimba @ R1 which reverted back to a Piano as I was playing R1.  What do you think?

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »
The best advice I have for this is to post your work so others can download it and determine what went wrong. Just click on Additional Options to post the song. Someone will be able to figure it out and provide you, and others, with the answers.

Gary
Love Those Yammies...

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
1ManBand:

Please consult the Parameter Chart for your instrument.

This will tell you which Setup items must be checked. For instance, R & L voices require Keyboard Voices, Offest Volume can only be saved in a registration, etc.

You should know that if you do an Execute and the midi is not at the beginning, that the items saved as determined by the Keyboard Voices setting ( you have to look at the Parameter Chart to see which these are) will be placed at the current location of the midi.

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
Tyros 5

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 10:05:53 AM »

Attached is a File "When 1" (When The Sun Goes Down) that I re-mixed to: R1=Mirimba (along w/ other Main Panel & 1-16 changes... seems to be saving just fine.  EXCEPT!!! At the 115th measure the R1 Mirimba changes to a Piano???  Could someone look at this file to see what is happening?  Thanks!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »
1-Man,

Try this now and see if it does what you want.

Bill G

[attachment deleted by admin]
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »
in SongCreator at 115:02:1130 there is a sequencer specific meta event. This is the result of performing a SongCreator Execute with KeybaordVoices check and the song not rewound.  This is a way you can change the keyboard settings, but in this case it was unexpected. Just delete the event.

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
Tyros 5

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »
Excellent Gentlemen!!!  It was if fact my mistake!  The file must be rewound before making any changes and saving.  How can I get to the point where I can identify a SYSEX such as this one to know it's the culprit?

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »
1-Man,

You can see these events in Song Creator on the SYSEX page.
You will need the Datalist in order to decipher the code however.
Once you do it enough, you can do it without the datalist.
There is not much you can do with the SYSEX code on the keyboard.
You can delete it, copy it, move it, and even change some of the code, but you can't enter it from scratch.
You need a good PC sequencer for more access to the code.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 03:03:26 PM »
Bill is correct.

A short cut is just to look for any sysex that is too large to fit on the line. Yamaha uses the "~" to notate this.

You can change the right hand voices in a midi if you hit a registration while recording, but if you did not do this, the SongCreator & Execute with Keyboard Voice checked is the reason.

Note: the only thing that can be saved when the midi is not rewound is Keyboard Voices. If you do a lot of changes using Execute and do not need to include the items in the Parameter Chart noted as being saved with Keyboard Voices, then  simply uncheck the item until you need it.

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
Tyros 5

Offline 1ManBand

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 07:27:12 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I will procede forward in gathering and remixing song files for my Tyros.  By the way... does anyone have a midi file for a song by Professor Long Hair called "Big Chief"?